• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

PBY

Banned
I'm talking about Nintendo would of been in a different situation since they would know the specs of the 720, unlike now were Nintendo doesn't know the specs so they really don't know were to push the Wii U specs.

Sometimes it's worse to launch 3rd but it can help too, like Sony and Microsoft have a much better chance since they know what they should do.
Are u serious lol
How fast do you think it takes to make a console

You gotta love that devs might run into the same issue with PS4.

Problem with the CPU comes from switching from CPU centric console to GPU centric console. I know unbelievable, huh?

And if the APU rumors are true, Sony is going with the same approach.

I don´t care if 3rd partys max out the Wii U. I know Nintendo will. Heck Galaxy 1/2 look AMAZING imo. Their unmatched artstyle is incredible. Cool what Nintendo can do with a 12 gflop GPU. Imagine what they can do with 30-40x the GPU power (Compared to Wii). Even with the CPU not being "on par" with CELL/Xenon.

And again, PS4/720 CPUs might not be aswell, seeing that in some aspect, those CPUS can still smoke an i7.

in very rare borderline cases... or vector math...

But seriously... with their image quality and resolution I can hardly say Galaxy 1 and 2 look amazing. The artstyle is completely hampered by bad image quality. Thankfully dolphin exists.
I mean, hell, look at durante souls. A game whose artstyle looks only OK in low res jaggy town and looks god like with real image quality.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'm talking about Nintendo would of been in a different situation since they would know the specs of the 720, unlike now were Nintendo doesn't know the specs so they really don't know were to push the Wii U specs.

Sometimes it's worse to launch 3rd but it can help too, like Sony and Microsoft have a much better chance since they know what they should do.

Nintendo would not have changed a thing if they knew the specs of the upcoming competitors, they just don't work like that.

They have said as much many times themselves, they looked at the Wii and improved on it and that was that. They are very single-minded on that front and openly honest about it.

Meelow

Banned
Are u serious lol

Well it's weird to think Nintendo would do "hmm so those are the 720 specs...Lets make the Wii U weaker and harder to make multiplats"

And as another example I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't want another Wii situation.

Are u serious lol

It takes a long time to settle every for consoles, it doesn't take only a year.

PBY

Banned
Well it's weird to think Nintendo would do "hmm so those are the 720 specs...Lets make the Wii U weaker and harder to make multiplats"

And as another example I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't want another Wii situation.
That's exactly what Nintendo did. Trust me, they definitely have a decent idea of what the next Xbox/ps4 specs will look like.

Nekofrog

Banned

Nintendo 100% does not give a shit about anybody but Nintendo. They design their hardware cheaply with their own ideas in mind, 3rd parties can go fuck themselves. They do not care. The PS4 and 720 could have dropped a year before the WiiU and it would still be an underpowered, half baked piece of hardware.

Meelow

Banned
Nintendo 100% does not give a shit about anybody but Nintendo. They design their hardware cheaply with their own ideas in mind, 3rd parties can go fuck themselves. They do not care. The PS4 and 720 could have dropped a year before the WiiU and it would still be an underpowered, half baked piece of hardware.

I think Nintendo does care, they do care about third party's and if it hurts sales Nintendo will do what they will have to, they are very stubborn at times but if it's towards sales they will do what the competition will do.

That's exactly what Nintendo did. Trust me, they definitely have a decent idea of what the next Xbox/ps4 specs will look like.

If they do then nobody should worry about the Wii U, didn't Iwata say the PS4/720 won't be that much more powerful then the Wii U after all?

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...aphics-wont-be-drastically-better-than-wii-u/

JABEE

This is pretty much it. Nintendo consoles are designed to sell Nintendo games. Third parties can come along for the ride if they want, but they won't have any major influence on how the system is designed or how releases are planned, advertised, and released. If that is what they are trying to do with the WiiU, their inexperience is showing.

Joe Molotov

You think Nintendo was trying to match up with the 720/PS4, and the Wii U was the result? lol

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I think Nintendo does care, they do care about third party's and if it hurts sales Nintendo will do what they will have to, they might be stubborn but if it's towards sales they will do what the competition will do.

If they do then nobody should worry about the Wii U, didn't Iwata say the PS4/720 won't be that much more powerful then the Wii U after all?

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...aphics-wont-be-drastically-better-than-wii-u/

I know rite, anyone would think Iwata had some kind of vested interest that would require him to downplay the competition, who'd would have thought that would happen?

Not caring about what they do tech wise is not the same as caring about whether they are in competition for gamers funds.

PBY

Banned
I think Nintendo does care, they do care about third party's and if it hurts sales Nintendo will do what they will have to, they are very stubborn at times but if it's towards sales they will do what the competition will do.

Dude. Cmooon what is Iwata supposed to say?

Meelow

Banned
You think Nintendo was trying to match up with the 720/PS4, and the Wii U was the result? lol

No, I just don't think Nintendo would limit themselves like the Wii.

That's what I think though.

I know rite, anyone would think Iwata had some kind of vested interest that would require him to downplay the competition, who'd would have thought that would happen?

Not caring about what they do tech wise is not the same as caring about whether they are in competition for gamers funds.

Dude. Cmooon what is Iwata supposed to say?

He said the difference won't be as big as wii-ps3 that's all.

He did a,so say this
"Naturally some consumers are very sensitive about such a small difference in graphics so that we will make efforts to make the most of the performance of the Wii U to keep up with technological innovations and not to make the system out-of-date soon."

Sid

He said the difference won't be as big as wii-ps3 that's all,it can still and likely will be pretty big.

No, I just don't think Nintendo would limit themselves like the Wii.

They don't care about the system specs. With the Wii U they did enough to have BC and check the HD box while staying at 30W. They focus on the gimmick. They made mad money off the wii remote and they hope to reproduce the same effect with the gamepad.

sp3000

He doesn't have a clue what Sony and MS will have. He's just speculating.

And really all your posts are just wishful thinking.

Meelow

Banned
He doesn't have a clue what Sony and MS will have. He's just speculating.

And really all your posts are just wishful thinking.

It might just be wishful thinking, but I'm not setting the Wii U to be doomed for the next 6 years like some people are.

How can you think this, when the system has already released and all evidence points to the contrary?

But it's not limited, the Wii U is a huge improvement over the Wii, and Nintendo among third party's have much more room to work with then the Wii, the Wii U obviously isn't a massive jump over the 360/PS3 but it can still do stuff the 360/PS3 can't, since it does have more modern architecture and more up to date GPU.

sp3000

He probably does have a clue, actually. I think everyone that high up in the industry knows very well what all his competitors are planning to do.

I doubt that. Unless Sony and MS entered into high level talks to make sure that their consoles were similarly speced.

Otherwise, the specs are only known to a few people, and it would be a pretty massive breach if competitors were to know what each others plans are. The only people who know besides the actual team are the major graphics developers like Crytek, DICE, and so on.

The Redmond campus of Microsoft has locked down the Xbox area for the last few months with tight security. They don't even want their own employees to know what's going on.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I think the only technology imperative for Nintendo this generation was to design a console that can push 720p graphics at the UE3 level. They're hoping that having HD graphics will blur the differences enough between them and the competition and the public won't notice.

We'll find out if they're right soon.

Boss Man

It might just be wishful thinking, but I'm not setting the Wii U to be doomed for the next 6 years like some people are.
It's not doomed, I don't think any Nintendo console will be. It probably won't sell like the Wii did (which isn't really saying a lot), but I think it's going to turn out to be a very nice console to own.

It'll suffer the same lack of multiplatform support in a year or two though. And having the "opinion" that PS4/720 are going to somehow have weaker CPUs than this generation is definitely wishful thinking.

The Wii U third party wise launch is already a huge improvement over the Wii, and you should know launches never show the future of the console.

Example the PS3.

You mean the console that was announced with FFXIII, Versus XIII, MGS4, DMC4, RE5, and much more implied support from third party?

I mean, were you actually surprised the ps3 got the support it ended up with? Because it was announced before day one.

no one is saying the wiiU is doomed, they're saying wiiU's 3rd party support is doomed and shaping up to be another n64/gc/wii situation. a few handful exclusives (if they remain exclusives at all) and sloppy seconds from big franchises. that's far from doomed, as we can see from the wii.
people are pointing out, and rightfully so, that most major 2013 releases have no wiiU versions. you claim wishful thinking, other posters are just trying to ignore the issue by telling us "wiiU is fun, i don't care" and everyone else is saying "yap, looks like regular old nintendo".
3rd party sided with sony during the ps1 and ps2 days, and sticked to ps360 this generation. By releasing a console that seems to be marginally better than 360 a year or so before microsoft and sony launch their next boxes will put nintendo at a technological disadvantage in a short period of time. expect both microsoft and sony's online services to completely blow nintendo out of the water too, if anything else because they're not associating purchases with a specific console instead of a network account (seriously, how the hell people can even accept something like that in 2012?). expect big 3rd party franchises for both unannounced platforms, because 3rd parties have already shown they want to stick to familiar territory.
just look at all the sings... EA's relationship with nintendo somehow turned out sour this past year, they announced a metro game that is in fact not even coming out for the wiiU, gta5 is not even coming out for the thing, and a lot of other stuff...imo, the writing is on the wall.
just expect people with different opinions about the value of that 271.13€ (271.13€ ($350)) nintendo box.

I mean third party wise.
I think people can buy one out of three other options for that: xbox720, ps4 or pc.
If you are only able to buy only one console and choose the Nintendo console: you obviously prefer Nintendo games. Nothing wrong with that, have fun.

It's clear Nintendo does not do a god damn thing to accommadate third party dev. Studios.

Observation:

Every single piece of Nintendo hardware since the beginning has not been flatly superior to its competition at the time. Every 3rd party has always dealt with Nintendo's hardware having some notable problems, ironically enough usually in some area of raw performance.

The NES was not as powerful as the Sega Master System in some ways, nor the PC Engine. The SNES was weak compared to the Mega Drive / Genesis in CPU speed. The N64 had nice visual effects compared to the PS1, but often seemed weaker in geometry and games tended to have lower frame rate targets compared to optimized PS1 games. The Gamecube was nice, but GC games often felt geometry starved compared to PS2 games and Xbox 1 games and limited in textures due to the storage medium.

It's kind of a myth that there was a golden age when Nintendo was just awesome as measured by raw hardware power, and 3rd parties loved them, etc. In truth, Nintendo was always the market leader up to a point, combined with past policies trying to control what games 3rd parties released on various platforms.

The Wii was the most extreme version of Nintendo's philosophy, where they entirely avoided competing in the same hardware range as anyone else at the time. No matter what their PR claims with Wii U, the hardware seems to go back in the direction of their old behavior - which still results in something nice in some respects, but apparently weaker in others. A lot of people are still spreading the meme of "Nintendo is overcharging for 7 year old hardware!" including here on GAF, because, you know, stuff like the gamepad is free.

At the end of the day, Nintendo places different priorities than other companies competing in the arena for a certain market of enthusiast gamer dudes. How that philosophy will continue to interact with the current landscape is up for debate.

WHAT?

NES came before the Master System. The NES had such a huge graphic jump from previous consoles, it's what made it so big.
The SNES was superior to the Genesis graphically in nearly every way & the SEGA CD which came long later, still wasn't able to fully outdo what the SNES was already capable (DKC, Mario RPG etc).

The N64 SMOKED the PSX & Saturn in graphic capabilities. Games like Zelda OOT & Perfect Dark were flat out impossible to do on those others systems.

GC was their first console to not be the powerhouse that gen.

Meelow

Banned
You mean the console that was announced with FFXIII, Versus XIII, MGS4, DMC4, RE5, and much more implied support from third party?

I mean, were you actually surprised the ps3 got the support it ended up with? Because it was announced before day one.

I know it's not much but the Wii U has Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter 3G, Dragon Quest X (not counting the 3DS/Wii versions) as an exclusive among games we'll also find out in the future.

WHAT?

NES came before the Master System. The NES had such a huge graphic jump from previous consoles, it's what made it so big.
The SNES was superior to the Genesis graphically in nearly every way & the SEGA CD which came long later, still wasn't able to fully outdo what the SNES was already capable (DKC, Mario RPG etc).

The N64 SMOKED the PSX & Saturn in graphic capabilities. Games like Zelda OOT & Perfect Dark were flat out impossible to do on those others systems.

GC was their first console to not be the powerhouse that gen.

I'd say the GameCube was a powerhouse, it was more powerful then the PS2 and almost as powerful as the Xbox, it was also much more powerful then the N64.

AzaK

Nintendo would have known that competitors would be making a machine MUCH more powerful than the one they are creating. They didn't change tack at all.

Blades64

Banned
I know it's not much but the Wii U has Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter 3G, Dragon Quest X (not counting the 3DS/Wii versions) as an exclusive among games we'll also find out in the future.

I'd say the GameCube was a powerhouse, it was more powerful then the PS2 and almost as powerful as the Xbox, it was also much more powerful then the N64.

Dude, you're too invested in this. You're making baseless statements. Calm down a bit. Take a chill pill, and look at the last page of this thread. Look at your posts and tell me what you think.

Edit: I just quoted this so I can reply to you, not to this specific comment. :)

StevieP

Banned
It's not doomed, I don't think any Nintendo console will be. It probably won't sell like the Wii did (which isn't really saying a lot), but I think it's going to turn out to be a very nice console to own.

It'll suffer the same lack of multiplatform support in a year or two though. And having the "opinion" that PS4/720 are going to somehow have weaker CPUs than this generation is definitely wishful thinking.

They'll probably be weaker in some ways, actually (for example, vectorized code). And probably stronger in others (for example, general purpose code).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

The limited cartridge memory and muddy blur ensured that the N64 did NOT "smoke" the PSX and even the Saturn (at times) visually. Never mind framerates...

deviljho

He probably does have a clue, actually. I think everyone that high up in the industry knows very well what all his competitors are planning to do.
The Redmond campus of Microsoft has locked down the Xbox area for the last few months with tight security. They don't even want their own employees to know what's going on.

Corporate espionage. Nintendo Ninjas. Chloe uploading schematics to Jack Bauer's Wii U Gamepad via the Nintendo Land tower and satlink.. This sounds like the basis for a great video game.

Brera

Banned
The limited cartridge memory and muddy blur ensured that the N64 did NOT "smoke" the PSX and even the Saturn (at times) visually. Never mind framerates...

What are you smoking?

Saturn games...even the likes of VF2 looked like ass compared to PSX and N64 games!

Parch

Best console available right now.
Problem is I expect it to be obsolete as soon as another console is released. Another generation of sub-par hardware is destined for another dodgy round of 3rd party support. Good luck Nintendo, but I think it's going to be short timeframe for good sales. I can wait for a console that will have proper support.

Rapstah

Problem is I expect it to be obsolete as soon as another console is released. Another generation of sub-par hardware is destined for another dodgy round of 3rd party support. Good luck Nintendo, but I think it's going to be short timeframe for good sales. I can wait for a console that will have proper support.

Can you explain your reasoning behind "best console available right now"? It's okay if you think that, but why?

Oppo

One area where I feel they cut too close to the bone is audio. Situation is bad. The ps2 was more capable in this regard.

KageMaru

Weren't you the one who tried to make this claim before just for a developer to come out and say the GPU in the xbox was ~3 times faster?

It was not almost as powerful as the xbox, but you'll continue to believe otherwise.

Also your other posts here have been hilarious. You're going to be in a rude awaking over the next year IMO.

King_Moc

Banned

The best is not just the one that has the most power, else everyone would just be gaming on PC's. Thought they probably should just go ahead and do that anyway.

Top Bottom