• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So, we already knew the CPU was "slow" but that doesn't address optimizing for OoO vs In order.

Generally, unless the OOOE design has some weird issues (which it might have), the core that needs more optimization is the in order one where the programmer and or the compiler must work his/her/its magic to prevent stalls, hide latencies, and extract instruction level and thread level parallelism to keep execution units fed. OOOE should make programming easier not more complex generally.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You cannot be worse than worst. That goes against the definition of "worst".
I think what he means is worse than the worst case scenario perceived during rumorbrewing and general pre-launch period, which is true.

Nobody expected it to be worse than current-gen consoles in so many ways. People who posted that were laughed at and called trolls. The worst case scenario at that point was equal to current-gen, and yet...

RM8

Basically, yeah.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have learned from their Wii-era.

Sure, the Wii was a massive success, but its popularity faded away since 2010 or so. And Nintendo is still sticking within the same thinking model...
Selling less systems over a longer period of time, with huge losses > Selling more systems in a shorter period of time, with profits from day one?

Nintendo most definitely learned from the Wii era, if anything.

Van Owen

Banned
These guys don't know what the fuck they are talking about. They clearly don't have the talent to utilize the revolutionary edram and gpgpu. Wii u may struggle with quick ports of current gen games but just watch those next gen engines fly.

Exactly. Next gen engines are very scalable and will have no trouble running on Wii U.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Generally, unless the OOOE design has some weird issues (which it might have), the core that needs more optimization is the in order one where the programmer and or the compiler must work his/her/its magic to prevent stalls, hide latencies, and extract instruction level and thread level parallelism to keep execution units fed. OOOE should make programming easier not more complex generally.

Not to mention I've read more than one developer comment how working around in-order chips actually benefited performance on other (PC/OoOE) CPUs.

Majmun

You really should put two and two together. Let me show you:

It's called business.

It's not a race, but a marathon. Wii's popularity spike was high, but the drop was big too. The Wii has been pretty irrelevant since 2010 or so, while their competitors are still very popular.

How is that good for business? Especially when it comes to business partners such as 3rd party developers?

Blades64

Banned
Wii U is weak, I agree, but this reads off like a kid throwing a tantrum, or a guy at work pissed because his boss tells him to do something that he doesn't like. If other devs can learn to work with and around the CPU then why can't you?

With that said, Nintendo is kicking themselves in balls for using 'different' hardware.

Wasn't the CPU weak because the hardware was built so that the GPGPU and DSP can handle tasks that the CPU normally would?

btrboyev

I remember Perfect Dark Zero generating negativity for the 360, but when Oblivion came out several months after launch..., well, it died down.

Actually I think it was ghost recon that subsided the Xbox 1.5 nonsense. It was also the game that really started the rrod phenom. I know my system would majorly start acting weird within a few hours of playing ghost recon.

It's funny how it's all about the games now and how graphics don't matter when for the past year+ graphics and spec talk regarding Wii U were all the rage -- see the dozen or so speculation threads with thousands of posts each for proof.

No one said graphics don't matter(at least I never have), it's about priorities and standards.

In this day and age, every system is very capable, games aren't magically going to be better because they are on better than very good technology.

Most people want great looking and playing and very inventive games.

Just because a developer here and there isn't happy with the tech(some are more enwrapped with raw specs than others----not a slam on them) doesn't mean great looking, playing and ingenius games won't be made.

And I'm not even just talking about Nintendo.

Should you ever buy a modern Nintendo system for multiplatform gaming???

Ummmm, of course not.

AmFreak

Pretty crazy how different developers can have such opposite impressions of the system's power. I'd have to guess it comes from their specific engine approaches. CPU-heavy games already in development for other machines vs games not yet set on a roadmap that can adapt to the system's strengths.

Which dev has praised the cpu?
It's not an opposite opinion if one dev praises the gpu or other parts. Praising the whole system is kinda self-contradictory then. But what do you expect from devs which want to sell their games on the system? Saying the cpu is horrible and slow publicly needs balls and it could be argued that saying it is dumb.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Actually I think it was ghost recon that subsided the Xbox 1.5 nonsense. It was also the game that really started the rrod phenom. I know my system would majorly start acting weird within a few hours of playing ghost recon.

Ah, good post. You're right.

Twitter and AMD customer service (lmfao) were wrong who would've guessed that.
The whole super computer CPU stuff was ridiculous from the beginning and I can't believe people actually believed that.

Yeah credit to that OnQ guy, he had it right when he said souped up Broadway x 3. I suppose no one could believe that Nintendo would cheap out that much.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Do you guys expect the Wii U to last until 2017-2018 considering its hardware if more developpers think the same way, especially with other next-gen consoles coming? Sure, the Wii did great even with its crappy hardware vs more advanced consoles, but the Wii U won't be able to replicate that.

I think it's the same situation the Wii saw, maybe even more drastic if the novelty of the tablet doesn't interest the public. The Wii might have lasted 6 years on paper, but I think the majority of support dried up a couple years ago. You see stuff like Xenoblade or Nintendo published stuff every once in awhile, but it felt like developers abandoned ship a long time ago.

It's hard to tell what will catch fire with consumers. In this economy, I wouldn't expect much. Especially since it doesn't differentiate itself that much from the Wii, for some people. Let alone existing consoles.

The Boat

My understanding is that OoOE can make programming more foolproof, but in order to take full advantage of it you need to take it into account when writing code. I could be wrong though.

Xav

I'm bored of developers talking about the Wii U's power based on how well their ports run. This is why I don't buy 3rd party games on Nintendo systems, they are the laziest most uncreative people on the planet the second you ask them to develop for a Nintendo platform. Seriously were Factor 5 the only ones who actually gave a shit?

Orayn

No one said graphics don't matter(at least I never have), it's about priorities and standards.

In this day and age, every system is very capable, games aren't magically going to be better because they are on better than very good technology.

Most people want great looking and playing and very inventive games.

Just because a developer here and there isn't happy with the tech(some are more enwrapped with raw specs than others----not a slam on them) doesn't mean great looking, playing and ingenius games won't be made.

And I'm not even just talking about Nintendo.

Should you ever buy a modern Nintendo system for multiplatform gaming???

Ummmm, of course not.

Heavy doesn't care about video games. He wants video graphics, even if they're largely non-interactive and expensive enough to tank the industry. Luckily, it looks like he might get his wish!

So people should buy a Wii U knowing it will have a premature death due the lack of support?

That sounds exciting.

Nintendo and doomed, it just isn't the smartest thing in the world to assume.

Thye already have formed relationships with topnotch developers(so far exclusively) and their system just came out.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm bored of developers talking about the Wii U's power based on how well their ports run. This is why I don't buy 3rd party games on Nintendo systems, they are the laziest most uncreative people on the planet the second you ask them to develop for a Nintendo platform. Seriously were Factor 5 the only ones who actually gave a shit?
One may have to wonder if it's actually because Nintendo doesn't give a shit about them.

RM8

It's not a race, but a marathon. Wii's popularity spike was high, but the drop was big too. The Wii has been pretty irrelevant since 2010 or so, while their competitors are still very popular.

How is that good for business? Especially when it comes to business partners such as 3rd party developers?
Wii still made more money, in less time, with no losses. In comparison, PS3 just recently-ish started making money and will most likely never pass Wii's numbers. No company would like a PS3 repeat over a Wii repeat.

KAL2006

Banned
I still don't understand what the point of the Wii U existing. With the Wii I understood it that they put motion controls in the forefront. But with the Wii U it's like releasing a 360 in 2012, the gamepad barely is a gamechanger, in fact it is more of a hassle as it makes things more expensive and battery doesn't last as long.

So this is basically what the Wii U is
- worse online than PSN and XBL
- worse multiplatform ports than PS3/360, hell many big multiplats are still notcoming GTA5, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, MGS and etc
- added Gamepad which ain't really a gamechanger, mainly used for maps texting and etc, I'd rather do that on the TV than waste battery life of the controller for an extra screen

So what is the point of Wii U, oh right HD Nintendo games, but we really should have gotten that last gen. I really think the Wii U will stumble, it will probably do slightly worse than GameCube. Of course Nintendo fans will buy it. Majority of gamers will stick with PS3/360 and move to their successors. And I doubt Wii U can be saved by the casuals like the Wii did, motion gaming appeal was far to much of a huge i hit with Wii and I don't think whis Wii U pad will come anywhere near that.

I never expected it to be a port machine anyway. There where some signs but really you know it wasn't going to be that.

This console is trash.
Represent.
Banned
(Today, 05:09 PM)
image.php

oh dear.

So lazy!!!

Nintendo and doomed, it just isn't the smartest thing in the world to assume.

Thye already have formed relationships with topnotch developers(so far exclusively) and their system just came out.

Not doomed, but a lot of people didn't liked the lack of 3rd party and multiplatform games on their console so being the same with Wii U how they should accept that?

And the Wii had too a few exlusivities too, and it didn't help.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Well, the Gamecube was almost just as powerful as the Xbox and more powerful than the PS2, so Factor 5's Gamecube games aren't really the best examples.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If people haven't yet figured out that this is the path Nintendo has decided to take, they need to get a clue and realize it today.

This system isn't built for people who hang out on GAF. It's not built for PC gamers. It's not built for the people who care about graphics. It's not built for the hardcore (regardless of what Nintendo tried to pretend this past year).

It's built for the Nintendo fan and the casual fan. Their desire is to bring those people into gaming. If that mindset ruins their company, so be it. It worked for them with the Wii and obviously they think it is going to happen again.

Let's not keep pretending that we didn't think this was going to happen.

RM8

it will probably do slightly worse than GameCube.
This is really not going to happen.

I myself can see it lagging behind PS4 and NextBox, but it won't be Nintendo's worst selling home console ever. GameCube was stomped by a gargantuan PS2 and was the successor for the already not-too-successful N64.

x3sphere

Exactly. Next gen engines are very scalable and will have no trouble running on Wii U.

We'll see about that, the CPU being underpowered can be a significant problem for some games. Scaling graphics is a lot easier than scaling physics or other operations that require a lot of number crunching.

I think what he means is worse than the worst case scenario perceived during rumorbrewing and general pre-launch period, which is true.

Nobody expected it to be worse than current-gen consoles in so many ways. People who posted that were laughed at and called trolls. The worst case scenario at that point was equal to current-gen, and yet...

But people calling the Wii U worse than current-gen were trolls (unless they actualy had inside information ofcourse).

I bet even the trolls themselves are surprised their hyperbole turned out to be true. :lol:

MOTHER OF GOD

Lyng

This is a bold statement. Imagine if we get some ports that are better then PS360. This developer would certainly look like an amateur.

Somnid

I still don't understand what the point of the Wii U existing. With the Wii I understood it that they put motion controls in the forefront. But with the Wii U it's like releasing a 360 in 2012, the gamepad barely is a gamechanger, in fact it is more of a hassle as it makes things more expensive and battery doesn't last as long.

So this is basically what the Wii U is
- worse online than PSN and XBL
- worse multiplatform ports than PS3/360, hell many big multiplats are still notcoming GTA5, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, MGS and etc
- added Gamepad which ain't really a gamechanger, mainly used for maps texting and etc, I'd rather do that on the TV than waste battery life of the controller for an extra screen

So what is the point of Wii U, oh right HD Nintendo games, but we really should have gotten that last gen. I really think the Wii U will stumble, it will probably do slightly worse than GameCube. Of course Nintendo fans will buy it. Majority of gamers will stick with PS3/360 and move to their successors. And I doubt Wii U can be saved by the casuals like the Wii did, motion gaming appeal was far to much of a huge i hit with Wii and I don't think whis Wii U pad will come anywhere near that.

You'll need to actually sit down and play one. It might be hard to get across in ads and even store demos but it seriously changes the way you think consoles should work.

Top Bottom