• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

Curufinwe

I just want to know if they fixed the controller viewpoint movement.

Last Light had this awful thing going on where moving the viewpoint up or down translated at half the speed of moving it left or right. And if you were trying to move the viewpoint diagonally in any direction, it behaved like absolute shit.

Pretty much ruined the game for me.

This was in both the PC and PS3 SKUs.

Ugh. That sounds awful.

Cudder

What's the best difficulty mode to start on for someone playing for the first time?

How integral is resource management (ammo, health) in this game?

RoKKeR

This is and has been patently proven false. The volumetric lighting is just high qualtiy, hence why it "runs" "poorly."

Now-a-days it is quite simple to get a flat 60fps in Metro 2033. I can for exmple.

Also, volumetric lighting was not removed in Last Light, just used more sparingly.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that it was simply gutted from the Last Light engine for performance stabilization.

phant0m

I just want to know if they fixed the controller viewpoint movement.

Last Light had this awful thing going on where moving the viewpoint up or down translated at half the speed of moving it left or right. And if you were trying to move the viewpoint diagonally in any direction, it behaved like absolute shit.

Pretty much ruined the game for me.

This was in both the PC and PS3 SKUs.

Not sure what this about, I played Last Light on my TV with a DS4 and Big Picture mode:
(apologies for shitty lighting)
XK66SDo.jpg

Worked great with the controller.

10570379_10152614800029512_5532169170312718110_n.jpg

i can post some impressions tonight if you guys want. Picked it up yesterday but was playing Diablo all last night.

Nice ! Enjoy man and if you have a chance to tell us how Metro looks and plays, that would be nice.

I'm also getting Metro for Xbox One since the performance is the same as the PS4 and i just love the Xbox One controller for shooters.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that it was simply gutted from the Last Light engine for performance stabilization.

It definitely still has some great volumetric lighting, just used rather sparingly (unlike the first, where almost every scene had 1 or 2).

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the use of a controller in these videos.

Gaf slippin'...

PS4 2033 vs Redux 2033 :
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Metro-Redux-PC-258781/Videos/Grafikvergleich-PC-versus-PS4-1133079/

If it was not labelled I could not tell which is which.

The first light you see in the game (the orange one) is volumetric. Not on PS4 though :p
;)

They are still downloading on my end :p
PS4 2033 vs Redux 2033 :
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Metro-Redux-PC-258781/Videos/Grafikvergleich-PC-versus-PS4-1133079/

If it was not labelled I could not tell which is which.

The first light you see in the game (the orange 1) is volumetric. Not on PS4 though. Easy to tell the diff.

Kezen

Banned
It definitely still has some great volumetric lighting, just used rather sparingly (unlike the first, where almost every scene had 1 or 2).

They are still downloading on my end :p

The first light you see in the game (the orange 1) is volumetric. Not on PS4 though. Easy to tell the diff.

You're much better at picking differences than I am. To my naked eye both looked identical.

Really a bummer that 2033 has been downgraded in such a way on the PC, 4 years later and looking worse outside of a few better textures.

Hopefully the mission structure revisions make it worth playing still. Just wish they'd put more effort into the PC version instead of obviously focusing on the console versions.

misho8723

Banned
I do love the 'style' of Metro LL compared to 2033.

For example, Alex looks totally different, but in a good way.

Metro2033_2014_08_19_15_54_55_48.png

vlc_2014_08_19_15_56_13_68.png

Yeah, this a really good change.. right now i'm playing again 2033 original, and almost not a single character in the game has a unique face which would distinct them from others NPCs.. in the last mission I killed a person which looks exactly like Eugine :)

GavinUK86

On a side note, does anyone know a fix for the stuttering that was plaguing 2033 on PC? Every few seconds it would drop 10-15 frames then catch up.

I remember fixing it around the time 2033 came out but after some googling, I can't seem to find how to sort it out.

Kezen

Banned
On a side note, does anyone know a fix for the stuttering that was plaguing 2033 on PC? Every few seconds it would drop 10-15 frames then catch up.
I remember fixing it around the time 2033 came out but after some googling, I can't seem to find how to sort it out.

I'm playing with D3DOverrider and no stuttering on my part. 60fps with AAA and DX11 DOF disabled.

OK, I have compared all the gamersyde footage. And as long as that footage is at the highest quality settings... they have totally removed a number of volumetric lights.

Enemy and friendly haed lamps, large spot lights, small environmental ones, etc... All gone. I could do some comparison shots or vids if anyone is curious of the largest offenders. (and I do comparisons much better than those websites...)

Mudo

So if I have never played either game (but own them on Steam lol), would it be worth buying these for PS4? I keep reading in here about how downgraded the PC version is, but is it good on PS4???

bee

does it still support nvidia 3D vision on pc? can't find the info anywhere, won't buy without it

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So if I have never played either game (but own them on Steam lol), would it be worth buying these for PS4? I keep reading in here about how downgraded the PC version is, but is it good on PS4???
It's locked 1080/60 on PS4 and looks pretty damn good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Can someone link me to the first 30 minutes of LL on PS4 vid from yesterday? I want to watch it since I played a little bit of LL on PS3.

bee

all i can find is

Looking at NVidia Drivers 340.52

Metro Redux is rated excellent
Metro Last Light is 3D vision ready

will wait to see how bad it is, 'excellent' in my experience can range from shit to perfect, will probably stick to the old version

RoKKeR

Hello friends, quick update on what I wanted to do with the "To Come" section in the OP.

I've been in contact with Huy Beynon, the Deep Silver Brand Manager here on GAF and he is willing to give us a little bit of access to the 4A guys to get their thoughts on the game, development, and the studio in general. What I want to do is send of a few questions that warrant fairly short responses (1-3 sentences) and then include a handful of the responses for each question from team members around the studio. I've come up with a few basic examples but I think it'd be great to have some input from you all on what you'd like to ask the guys over at 4A.

Just as an idea, here are two examples I came up with:

What is one thing about 4A Games that you think sets it apart from other studios?

What was the biggest challenge in adapting the Last Light gameplay framework for 2033 Redux?

Things like that, but feel free to get creative! I'd like to pass the best few questions along to Huw within the next 24hrs, so jot anything you'd like down in this thread and I can chose the best ones.

Thanks everybody! I'm hoping this can be a nice feature for fans of 4A and the Metro games.

Really a bummer that 2033 has been downgraded in such a way on the PC, 4 years later and looking worse outside of a few better textures.

Hopefully the mission structure revisions make it worth playing still. Just wish they'd put more effort into the PC version instead of obviously focusing on the console versions.

Wut? Downgrade? It looks so much better, and ive played PC version to death, I know it inside out. This is a really nice looking improvement

Enectic

Banned
Hopefully these launch on OnLive's CloudLift service. They have both Metro games and seem to have a pretty good relationship with Deep Silver. Already preordered (with the discount since I have the previous versions) and wouldn't mind playing these in the living room on the big screen!

Wut? Downgrade? It looks so much better, and ive played PC version to death, I know it inside out. This is a really nice looking improvement

Look at Dictator's posts Those are the incredible details that no other game has that set 2033 apart. Last Light removed them and now they've done the same to the original :/

The comparison gifs in the OP are the 360 version to Redux. Not really fair.

misho8723

Banned
For console owners its most definitely not, but for PC users it seems a lot of people miss the original lighting from 2033

I can live without some effects, i'm going to buy this editions because of the better gameplay, many levels put together without those annyoing loading screens, better AI, etc..(and better graphics on the surface are a nice bonus :) )

Look at Dictator's posts Those are the incredible details that no other game has that set 2033 apart. Last Light removed them and now they've done the same to the original :/

The comparison gifs in the OP are the 360 version to Redux. Not really fair.

Fuck, that is a disappointment. Tho even on my i7 4770k with a 770, that area would suffer a fair bit of FPS drops so I guess maybe thats why they removed it. Kinda sucks tho :/

Deadbeat

Banned
I can live without some effects, i'm going to buy this editions because of the better gameplay, many levels put together without those annyoing loading screens, better AI, etc..(and better graphics on the surface are a nice bonus :) )
-Gunplay more like cod isn't what I consider better.
-Blended loading screens is good.
-Ai that can see you through walls or last light Ai that's dumber than a bag of sand. I'll take the wallers thanks.

Top Bottom