• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

to the dude who msgd me on XB1 last night: sorry i havent touched the game. I installed it before i went to bed but ive been playing Diablo 3 non stop. will post some impressions on the weekend as im at work during the day and evenings im either playing cricket after work then go home and play Diablo until midnight...

I still can't decide if I want to buy the upgrade for both 2033 and Last Light or just 2033. It seems like a waste to upgrade the PC version of LL, since there isn't much new.

I saw some comparison shots and the Redux for Metro LL seems to be too bright in some locations. Especially outside in daytime. Atmosphere doesn't seem as good

Based on my skimming of this thread, is the only detractor from the PS4 version compared to PC the lack of volumetric lighting? Does it significantly affect the mood/atmosphere of the game? I'd really prefer to comfy couch this one if I won't be missing out on much compared to the PC version.

Gurish

Guys how should i play my first playthrough of Metro 2033:R ? is there a "gold standard" like with TLoU (hard+listen mode off) that most people recommend?

All those modes seems confusing and i don't know what is most recommended, of course i want it to be challenging but fair and not get too frustrated with my first playthrough.

Based on my skimming of this thread, is the only detractor from the PS4 version compared to PC the lack of volumetric lighting? Does it significantly affect the mood/atmosphere of the game? I'd really prefer to comfy couch this one if I won't be missing out on much compared to the PC version.

PS4 version will also not have environment tesselation (and may or may not have screen space reflections, DF is horrible at noticing these things).

Yes it affects the mood, how much? Depends, I think it does quite a bit.

@ comfy couch - why not just hook the PC up to TV and use a controller? I do that all the time when friends come over or my girlfriend wants to play something.

Guys how should i play my first playthrough of Metro 2033:R ? is there a "gold standard" like with TLoU (hard+listen mode off) that most people recommend?

I will play through 2033 again with Survival Mode on Ranger Hardcore. No HUD, low Ammo, no (in the case of QTEs, prompts I imagine).

Not sure if I would recommend this to everyone. It can be more frustrating if you have not played the games before. But in all honesty, metro LL's game systems in 2033 probably make it much easier than the first time around...

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone here have a Spanish copy if the game on XB1? Just arrived in Spain and forgot to cancel my UK order but I will today.

So reason to ask about a Spanish copy does the game have English voice/subs. Most 360 games did but a few didnt and I expect new gen would due to having Bluray sizes. But would like to know before I decide on a digital download since I prefer disc copies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I saw some comparison shots and the Redux for Metro LL seems to be too bright in some locations. Especially outside in daytime. Atmosphere doesn't seem as good

my thoughts as well. the aesthetic of the outdoor scenes look better to me in the original in the comparison videos and screenshots that have been posted.

seph1roth

Benchmarks of Redux compared to original games, someone said they were better optimized? HA!

Only 770 owners have luck...

Metro 2033 original

Hdov2ub.png

Metro 2033 Redux

EhxMXOK.png

Metro LL original

8I8Lt96.png

Metro LL Redux

KIaooYN.png

misho8723

Banned
Well, the graphics menu didn't change from the original (or LL) - I was hoping for more options this time

w5bb.jpg

And the game options menu - no FOV slider

x5bb.jpg

Definitely going to pick up the 2033 Redux, but will probably skip the LL one because it really doesn't seem like it needs or has gotten much treatment. Plus I've got most of the DLC. 2033 Redux is looking really good though. I hope that those performance charts posted above aren't completely accurate because it seems really weird that there is basically no performance increase between 2033 and the redux version. There is definitely a big performance increase for me from 2033 to LL. Here's hoping.

seph1roth

Definitely going to pick up the 2033 Redux, but will probably skip the LL one because it really doesn't seem like it needs or has gotten much treatment. Plus I've got most of the DLC. 2033 Redux is looking really good though. I hope that those performance charts posted above aren't completely accurate because it seems really weird that there is basically no performance increase between 2033 and the redux version. There is definitely a big performance increase for me from 2033 to LL. Here's hoping.

That's the problem, 2033 redux doesn't have volumetric lightning as the original version, so even with the other improvements (improvement is very obvious, there are a lot of videos comparing both games and Redux is better in general), Redux should should run better than the original 2033 and that's not true if we see those benchmarks.

Same thing with Last Light.

4AGames said that Redux versions will run better than the older version thanks to a better optimization, and it seems to be a false statement.

That's the problem, 2033 redux doesn't have volumetric lightning as the original version, so even with the other improvements (improvement is very obvious, there are a lot of videos comparing both games and Redux is better in general), Redux should should run better than the original 2033 and that's not true if we see those benchmarks.

Same thing with Last Light.

4AGames said that Redux versions will run better than the older version thanks to a better optimization, and it seems to be a false statement.

Optimization can mean "removing stuff."

Also, Redux has Volumetric light, just not as often placed as in 2033.

seph1roth

Optimization can mean "removing stuff."

Also, Redux has Volumetric light, just not as often placed as in 2033.

Well, less volumetric light compared to original 2033, LL uses much less volumetric light compared to 2033 too, but is much better technically than its predecessor.

ReaperXL7

So I am thinking of getting this or Wolfenstien as my next shooter, anyone here that has played the previous versions of metro and wolf have any suggestions?

MattyG

Banned
Fuck, 2033 Redux is WORSE than the original on PC? I just pulled the trigger on it last night. Hope it wasn't a mistake :/

low-G

Prime example:

Metro 2033 original PC (volumetric light, cloth pyhsics, gun blast causes shadowing, blast shield can have bullet holes fired into it which cause volumetric lighting to pour through ala The Division)
http://a.pomf.se/esxdhr.webm

Metro 2033 Redux PC
http://a.pomf.se/rkewus.webm

I blame you consoles, I blame you so hard

Jeez, that is an extremely harsh downgrade for PC...

I really miss the color shifting light. Unique look. Now it looks like COD on Xbox 360.

btags

So I am thinking of getting this or Wolfenstien as my next shooter, anyone here that has played the previous versions of metro and wolf have any suggestions?

I know this is not exactly what you are looking for, but you cannot go wrong with either as they are both excellent games. You could consider getting only 2033 (if you are getting a digital copy) and see if you like it enough to buy LL as well.

This will be a perfect filler game for between the days of waiting for Destiny. Better thing is, I've never played any of these games and am basically clueless about the story

How big are the campaigns?

misho8723

Banned
Probably should've phrased it differently; it RUNS worse, not IS worse.

So far what i have read in the reviews, the reviewers say that they are running better than the originals.. one even said, that LL on the same settings went from 15 fps in the original to 50 in Redux (you saw how does tesselation look in Redux, did you? and that motion blur is too reduced)

Zornack

So I own both games already (haven't played either yet, though) and would definitely get the redux bundle if there were noticeable graphical improvements, but from what I'm seeing it looks like I might be better off just playing the originals. Am I off base?

Codiox

Just preordered the ps4 version. Only played last light through ps+ on the ps3 about 20min and really liked it but the graphics were really bad. Looking forward to next Friday!

misho8723

Banned
So I own both games already (haven't played either yet, though) and would definitely get the redux bundle if there were noticeable graphical improvements, but from what I'm seeing it looks like I might be better off just playing the originals. Am I off base?

Well, 2033 Redux has overall better graphics than the original, but some great looking effects are missing which addded a lot to the atmosphere.. but otherwise, i would still recommend the Redux edition.. the AI was maybe too good in 2033 :D too hard, frustratingly many times - that's why stealth didn't work that good.. responsivness of weapons wasn't the best too, enemies didn't reacted properly to getting shot, many loading screens - some levels lasted only to 5 -10 minutes,... this all should be fixed in this Redux version..
And when it comes to LL, graphics are almost the same, Survival mode to make LL more harder like 2033, you have all DLCs there, etc..
So it's really up to you to decide if you like this changes or not - and want you pay again for the game(s)..

seph1roth

So far what i have read in the reviews, the reviewers say that they are running better than the originals.. one even said, that LL on the same settings went from 15 fps in the original to 50 in Redux (you saw how does tesselation look in Redux, did you? and that motion blur is too reduced)

That sounds like magical optimization, no...that's a miracle and impossible, i don't know what review said that but a good optimization could make the game gain at most 30fps... And only in games that have a horrible optimization.

Metro LL has a good optimization (if we doesn't count physx) and i seriously doubt that kind of miraculous improvement on framerate.

Sorry about my english btw...

Kezen

Banned
That sounds like magical optimization, no...that's a miracle and impossible, i don't know what review said that but a good optimization could make the game gain at most 30fps... And only in games that have a horrible optimization.

Metro LL has a good optimization (if we doesn't count physx) and i seriously doubt that kind of miraculous improvement on framerate.

Sorry about my english btw...

Physx is well optimized. It's just legitimately costly.

Considering Spartan + Ranger for my first playthrough of 2033, only played the original on normal.
Having a hard time deciding though, might go with Survivor since it's more appealing to me but I'm curious to see how Spartan changes the game.
Maybe I'll save Survivor for a second playthrough since it should be harder, otherwise it will be a step down in difficulty.

I owned Metro 2033 on Steam, went to look at pre-ordering the bundle and funnily enough it turned out to be cheaper for me to buy Metro:LL (since I didn't own it) since it's on midweek madness and then pre-order the bundle. With the 50% off the bundle, in total it saved me about $7 doing that.

Can't wait to play it!

MattyG

Banned
There isn't any significant new content to LL Redux besides the difficulty mode is there? Just the graphical stuff? I bought the season pass last night because I hadn't planned on upgrading, hoping I'm not missing out on much.

RoKKeR

There isn't any significant new content to LL Redux besides the difficulty mode is there? Just the graphical stuff? I bought the season pass last night because I hadn't planned on upgrading, hoping I'm not missing out on much.

Not really, no. You do get all of the DLC and the added difficulty modes, along with gameplay tweaks here and there in LL Redux.

The bottom line here is that this collection is clearly geared towards giving console players the true Metro experiences they missed out by not having a beefy PC last-gen. Redux is a pretty solid upgrade for the PC but in the transition to the Last Light engine some things were lost. (some volumetric lighting as we've seen) LL is essentially the same, (people need to stop posting that image and watch this LL vs. LL Redux comparison video instead) with the new global illumination making some of the outdoor areas a little bit brighter in LL. You also get the two new difficulty modes in Spartan and Survival.

4A knew all along it was going to be a hard sell on the PC versions as the originals in themselves are fairly solid, which is why they offered the fairly generous Steam discount.

Tenki

Has anyone played the PS4 version? I'm stuck on Metro 2033 Redux because of a bug which is driving me crazy.

When you reach the tunnel with ghosts, you have to get into a train and see the ghost of a child (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnFnS4iPw9o 2:20 mark). The thing is they have added a spider web right in the middle of the train, making it impossible to continue.

I have taken a picture: http://i.imgur.com/4XpIPLN.jpg

I want to keep playing, but I cannot pass that fucking web :(

RoKKeR

Has anyone played the PS4 version? I'm stuck on Metro 2033 Redux because of a bug which is driving me crazy.

When you reach the tunnel with ghosts, you have to get into a train and see the ghost of a child (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnFnS4iPw9o 2:20 mark). The thing is they have added a spider web right in the middle of the train, making it impossible to continue.

I have taken a picture: http://i.imgur.com/4XpIPLN.jpg

I want to keep playing, but I cannot pass that fucking web :(

I haven't played 2033 Redux yet, but my best guess is that you need to
use your lighter to burn the spider web. This was in Last Light and I think it's something that was transferred to 2033 Redux, and I'd bet that's what it is.

Don't know the button prompt for it though unfortunately.

Try up on the D-pad.

Tenki

I haven't played 2033 Redux yet, but my best guess is that you need to
use your lighter to burn the spider web. This was in Last Light and I think it's something that was transferred to 2033 Redux, and I'd bet that's what it is.

Don't know the button prompt for it though unfortunately.

Try up on the D-pad.

OMG I love you. Now I feel stupid, I've been stuck there reloading thousands of times :lol

misho8723

Banned
Why is everyone saying that Metro Last Light was more oriented to action than to stealth like 2033? .. in 2033 on Hard (or Ranger mode?) i tried to play stealthy but it only lasted at the beginning of a combat situation - stealth just wasn't very good in 2033, so i mostly just shot everyone who tried to kill me :).. in LL stealth was much better, much more powerfull, more things available to use - to be stealthy - yeah, it did make the game much more easier, but i think most people used stealth in LL than only to go guns blazing.. when it comes to human enemies, i almost didn't killed a single one of them.. mostly just mutants, when you had no other chance than to shoot at them.. yeah i know that in LL even in Ranger mode you had enough of bullets and filters, so it wasn't as hardcore or survival like 2033, but i can't be the only one who played through this games this way, right?

Obscured

I had forgotten this was coming up. I'm having a hard time deciding between this, Diablo and the TLOU. Not sure I want to double dip on Diablo (of course though there is new content), I can't shake the feeling I could just pick up TLOU down the road when it will be discounted or possibly show up on PS+, so I'm leaning this way. Looks like a great game and is really two, so seems like a good choice. Is there any re-playability to them (I think I would start off on Ranger mode and Survival)?

Top Bottom