• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

RoKKeR

HRJ8d1j.jpg

"I was born in Moscow. But I remember nothing of that time. I was just an infant when the old world was destroyed in the flames of nuclear fire. I, along with 40 thousand others, were saved by retreating to the Metro stations deep under the city. Now, 20 years had passed, and going up into the embrace of an endless winter was left to a few brave souls. The Metro was our home, and our fortress against the nightmarish mutants who roamed the tunnels. Still, we never gave up hope that we would return to the surface. But one day, a new threat appeared... and we found ourselves in a war to determine the very existence of our species..." - Artyom, Metro 2033​

General Information

Metro Redux is a Post-Apocalyptic First Person Shooter, and includes a two-part remake of Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light. The package includes both Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light remastered in 4A's latest game engine. Metro 2033 has been completely remade in the Last Light gameplay framework, while Last Light receives more subtle tweaks and improvements while including all of the original DLC.

Release Date: August 26 2014
Platforms: PS4/Xbox One/PC
Price: $49.99 for the retail package, or $24.99 for each digitally
Performance: 1080p/60fps on PS4 / 912p/60fps on Xbox One
Developer: 4A Games
Publisher: Deep Silver​

Steam Promotion:
Already own Metro 2033 or Metro: Last Light on PC? Pre-purchase Metro: Redux on Steam and receive a 50% discount towards the purchase of Metro 2033 Redux or Metro: Last Light Redux. More information here: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/44169/

KUvTV0C.jpg

Series Overview
The Metro series is based off the novel Metro 2033 (purchase on Amazon) by Russian author Dmitry Glukhovskey, set in the post-apocalyptic Moscow Metro. Following a nuclear war in 2013 that devastated Russia, much of Moscow’s population was forced underground, seeking shelter from the nuclear fallout. While chaos was brewing on the surface, mutating animals into monsters and spawning mysterious, sentient creatures, war waged underground between new factions, hunters, and bandits, all struggling to survive in the metro. The Metro games follow the story of Artyom, a 20-year old Ranger seeking to protect his home station against a threat known as the Dark Ones. Both Metro 2033 and Last Light find Artyom fighting new-age Soviets, a Fourth Reich, and mutated creatures alike to protect his home, all while trying to survive the harsh conditions of a post-apocalypic Moscow.​

About 4A Games
4A games is a relatively new studio based out of Kiev, Ukraine (now with a new office located in beautiful Malta) known for their work on the Metro series. Many of 4A’s core developers previously worked on S.T.A.L.K.E.R., bringing a great heritage of survival horror FPS to the Metro franchise. Since 2006, 4A Games have been working tirelessly to bring the games Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light to life in some of the most difficult conditions imaginable, all while achieving great critical and commercial success with their first two major releases. While 4A begins work on new IP and other AAA projects, they were able to revisit their first two games in Metro: Redux. Going above and beyond the expectations for remastered games, 4A has completely rebuilt Metro 2033 in the Last Light gameplay framework, added substantial gameplay and visual improvements across the board to both games, and is offering the package at an extremely generous price. 4A should be commended for their hard work on the Metro franchise, and they will surely be one to watch as they expand their development capacity going into this new generation of hardware.​

To Come: (hopefully)
Thoughts from a handful of 4A developers on the process of creating Metro: Redux. Really hoping to get this section up soon!​

QWet8ih.png

Metro: Redux Features

Metro 2033:
-All-new lighting engine.
-Lower end PCs perform better.
-Cinematics have been redone and are now presented in first-person perspective.
-Features day and night cycles.
-More detail to levels and will boast greater visual fidelity.
-Some levels have been expanded such as: the Dead City section is now a single level.
-60fps on next-gen consoles.
-Borrows a few gameplay elements for Metro: Last Light, such as adding the option to wipe your mask clean as well as combat improvements - like stealth takedowns and weapon customization
-All character's models will be changed to the Last Light version.
-Metro 2033 Redux will gain all weapons from Last Light and its DLCs.
-More realistic weapon handling: the game tracks whether or not there is a round still in the chamber when reloading.​

Metro: Last Light:
-Graphical upgrades
-Improved gameplay
-Includes all Last Light downloadable content.
-Players will be able to check their watch and inventory.​

Overall Updates:
-Both games now support Ranger mode, a hardcore difficulty that strips away HUD and other on-screen prompts, leaving you to rely on knowledge of your equipment to survive in the metro.
-Each title can be played in one of two difficulty modes: Survival or Spartan. Survival is modeled after Metro 2033, having more limited supplies and ammunition, slower reload speeds and tougher enemy AI. Spartan makes the game more action- oriented and gives players more resources, in the style of Metro: Last Light.​

HJbxXuF.png

Screenshots:

Videos:

GIFs
001_by_gavinuk86-d7uqjdt.gif

007_by_gavinuk86-d7uqiuk.gif

Key Art:

Note:
I apologize for the confusing situation for the Metro: Redux OT. There was some miscommunication on who would be posting the OT, resulting in it being pushed out earlier than expected. I am still working hard to make improvements to the OT and hopefully bring some interesting stories behind the development of the game to this OT. Thank you for your patience!​

- To Huw Beynon of Deep Silver for providing official assets help, and possible future insights into the development process of the Metro franchise from 4A themselves... stay tuned!
- My good friend Kyle for helping with the banners and general layout. Being a WIP there is more to come in this department!
- En Ex, creator of the Metro: Last Light OT for inspiration.
- GavinUK86 for the great GIFs
- Cudder for providing some key pieces to this OT so I could get it whipped together as soon as possible.​

ywEeGWN.png

"It appears that the devastation we brought upon ourselves was complete; Heaven, Hell and Purgatory were atomized as well. So when a soul leaves the body it has nowhere to go, and must remain here, in the Metro. A harsh, but not undeserved atonement for our sins, wouldn't you agree?"

RoKKeR

Reserved for future updates.

Note:
I apologize for the confusing situation for the Metro: Redux OT. There was some miscommunication on who would be posting the OT, resulting in it being pushed out earlier than expected. I am still working hard to make improvements to the OT and hopefully bring some interesting stories behind the development of the game to this OT. Thank you for your patience!

Thanks all.

Awesome OT. I'm looking forward to picking this up at some point down the line. I've never played either of these, but I'm always looking for an awesome atmospheric singleplayer FPS. And this game looks fucking gorgeous.

Carnby

I'm very excited for this collection. I have not played either Metro game before this release.

My only concern is that 2033 will be improved so much, that it will look and play exactly like Last Light.... It's not a bad thing. I'm just concerned that each game will have lost it's identity. If 2033 inherits all the game play improvements from Last Light, by the time I get to play part 2, it is going to feel redundant and possibly stale.

Again, this is coming from someone who hasn't played either. If the enemies, stages, and plot are enough to make each game stand out, then I'm still very excited to pick this collection up on day one.

Gonna repost from the other OT:

Ready for Day 1, again. It didn't hurt that the upgrade on the PC was super cheap. Metro;LL ran pretty damn well on my 780 so I'm anticipating BOTH of them to run very well this time. Great games, some of you are in for an atmospheric, terrifying treat.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm very excited for this collection. I have not played either Metro game before this release.

My only concern is that 2033 will be improved so much, that it will look and play exactly like Last Light.... It's not a bad thing. I'm just concerned that each game will have lost it's identity. If 2033 inherits all the game play improvements from Last Light, by the time I get to play part 2, it is going to feel redundant and possibly stale.

Again, this is coming from someone who hasn't played either. If the enemies, stages, and plot are enough to make each game stand out, then I'm still very excited to pick this collection up on day one.

It's the journey of the games with it's atmosphere and mix with horror that make it stand out, not it's mechanics. 2033 wasn't defined by them, so any improvements to the original are fine.

Nice OT! I'm excited to finally get to play 2033. I loved Last Light; it had an amazing atmosphere, and I feel after playing 2033 I'll understand the story a lot better.

The Flash

Banned
Never played Metro but the Uncovered trailer sold me on giving them a try. The fact that I can get both of them for $50 is awesome.

Great OT as well

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Great work, RoKKeR. :)

I haven't played 2033 in at least a year or two, so I'm very excited to see the redux changes.

WoolyNinja

Why no pre-order/pre-loading on the PS4 for this? Its ironic that the first game I'm really wanting to play right away is the one not available for pre-loading.

MattyG

Banned
I still can't decide if I want to buy the upgrade for both 2033 and Last Light or just 2033. It seems like a waste to upgrade the PC version of LL, since there isn't much new.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
that's funny

but that OT came out roughly 3 hrs before this one

my question is why wouldn't the first OT be kept alive? perhaps cause this OT was more informative?

not that i'm complaining about this OT (it's great)

RoKKeR claimed the OT, the other guy didn't, and shouldn't have created his thread.

Any word on how the PS4 version compares to the PC version?

I have GTX670 2GB, will i miss out on any major effects on PS4?

I'd just like to replay them for tropies, not just graphics ;)

Any word on how the PS4 version compares to the PC version?

I have GTX670 2GB, will i miss out on any major effects on PS4?

I'd just like to replay them for tropies, not just graphics ;)

Probably not. That said, I'd imagine that GTX 670 will run this as good if not better than the PS4 version and is cheaper to boot if you already own previous copies on steam. I'm gonna replay on the 780 and expect it to be great. Even while my PS4 eyes me jealously that I don't feed it enough.

Great OT! I'm looking forward to return to Metro and experience as Artyom all his past adventures again.
Will I see finally another ending in 2033?

Nizz

I'm looking forward to finally playing these games. PS4 version preordered!
Yep, just preordered this set for PS4 today also. I'm not too sure how hard this $50 will hit me when I get paid this week, lol. But I've wanted to play these games for a minute.

Plus I really appreciate the work 4A have put into these remasters, especially reading about the pretty much locked 60fps. I want to support them day one. Can't wait to try these games out.

Ultimadrago

Looking forward to playing 2033 for the first time like this!

Completed Last Light and little while back and really enjoyed it.

OMG how da hell did I miss this games in last gen?!

The Spartan mode seems boring, I'll start will Survival and then try the Ranger that seems challenging.

misho8723

Banned
Textures in Metro 2033 PC
rqbb.jpg

Textures in Metro 2033 Redux PC
sqbb.jpg

Ok... now, tesselation in Metro LL and LL Redux PC
Original LL PC
pqbb.jpg

LL Redux PC
qqbb.jpg

WTF?

The_Poet

Banned
I own metro 2033 but havnt played it yet.

Should I just play that or do you think the new version will be worth picking up and playing instead?

rafbanaan

My review is going to be online in a few minutes.

I've to say.. when you're new to the series this is an exellent offer.

Where did you get it this early? Doesn't release before the 29th in EU right?

I live in Dubai. We dont do release dates here. Ill be heading home in around 4 hours time from work and will install it and give some impressions. I have original metro 2033 and LL on PC so lets see (although i didnt play them very much tbh).

Should i start with the 2033 version or does LL look better and worth looking at first?

Dantis

Got my preorder down for next week. Very excited.

Great OT!

TOk... now, tesselation in Metro LL and LL Redux PC
Original LL PC
pqbb.jpg

LL Redux PC
qqbb.jpg

WTF?

It's probably because that tessellation looks really bad in the original game. Reminds me of 360 games at launch where they just threw parallax maps on everything.

Well, crap. Assuming that these were captured at the highest settings, it looks like a lot of the volumetric fog and lights that were in the original version of 2033 are gone in the Redux version.

Yeah, unless I'm remembering incorrectly things it seems to have been as we feared would happen. The bit where they open the door to let the ranger in seemed different. Then again I haven't played 2033 in at least a year so hopefully that's not the case. When is DF putting up the PC article?

Edit: Someone who is less lazy should find that but on youtube to compare to. Quality is obviously poor in comparison but it would be obvious.

misho8723

Banned
Got my preorder down for next week. Very excited.

Great OT!

It's probably because that tessellation looks really bad in the original game. Reminds me of 360 games at launch where they just threw parallax maps on everything.

I don't know man, i like tesselation better in the original LL..

Anyway, this is how Metro LL Redux PC looks
vqbb.jpg

compared to original LL PC
uqbb.jpg

Really hope this does well for 4A Games. Theyre such a great dev team and I always felt like the Metro games deserved more praise/recognition. Maybe they didn't reinvent the wheel, but the atmosphere, setting, and story in them was second to none.
As I already have Last Light & all DLC on PC ill just be picking up Metro 2033 redux on PC. Maybe if I have some spare cash later on ill buy LL Redux just to support 4A.

Leb

Yeah, unless I'm remembering incorrectly things it seems to have been as we feared would happen. The bit where they open the door to let the ranger in seemed different. Then again I haven't played 2033 in at least a year so hopefully that's not the case. When is DF putting up the PC article?

Edit: Someone who is less lazy should find that but on youtube to compare to. Quality is obviously poor in comparison but it would be obvious.

Yeah, I fired up the original around the Hunter entrance scene and again in the tunnels with Bourbon and Khan, and the effects have definitely been dialed back (well, again, assuming that the Gamersyde footage is at the highest settings).

edit: though I'm seeing conflicting footage in the other thread (opening scene with Miller in Korolevsky), so now I don't know what to think. Will wait for DF, I guess.

Top Bottom