• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

Marty-McFly

Banned
No it’s not. It’s sterile and looks like an indie game. Didn’t you get the memo?
Sarcasm detected loud and clear.

People were way off about this game.

This game is gorgeous.

Edited for the next page.

9778caef31be69f618fc41348720f4438161a4c6.gifv

Last edited:

kunonabi

Controversial take. I just beat the Samus Returns remake on the 3DS and I think it's better than Dread. Better map, pacing, good music, exploring and lots of puzzles. Less difficult but still challenging. It felt like a true Metroid. I liked Dread but something felt missing. If you like Dread and haven't played the 3DS game, give it a shot. The controls are exactly like Dread.

I'll have to get around to the Gameboy version at some point. It's the only traditional Metroid I haven't beaten now.
As a game on its own yeah I like Samus Returns better than dread. Problem is its a remake of II and it absolutely fails at that.

carlosrox

Banned
Whoa I definitely managed to grab the Scanner earlier than my first game! It wasn't any kind of sequence break or anything but I just so happened to remember a random spot I could access that I didn't remember the first game til much later. On my second game I'm going back to explore old areas instead of just pushing forward.

daveonezero

This game is so gorgeous. How does Nintendo do it?
Style, uniform design (consistency) focus on the things that actually communicate with a player.

yes it’s simple but just watching Samus move in the way she does, change in looks ever so slightly over the course of the game, teaching you and introducing more mechanics as you go is just what games are about. It is engaging and responsive on many levels

sure it isnt perfect or the most well thought out use of all the abilities. But the core mechanics are spot on to what the game is trying to do.

carlosrox

Banned
A THIRD way to kill Kraid was just uncovered.

This is the new BOTW where the gameplay is so good we'll be finding out new secrets for years.

Jesus fuck. Even if somehow figured out how to sequence break it so I had flash shift that fucking early, why would I ever think to do that into Kraid's mouth lol?

Banjo64

Reached Hanubia. Stopped in my tracks and backtracking now for energy and mission upgrades. My opinion of this game has just gotten higher and higher as I’ve played. I think the challenge level is absolutely perfect, the bosses are fantastic.

Porcile

Just beat Raven Beak 🍾 this is the only Metroid I’ve ever completed - longtime fans, are we set up for a Metroid 5?

Dread is Metroid 5, but as for 6 it does seem like Nintendo has found a studio to make these games so I expect a couple more till the series starts to run out of steam like Prime did.

carlosrox

Banned
Damnit what was Marty banned for this time?! Perma?!

So I haven't been able to play much of my second game in the last week or so so now I'm definitely feeling some 'getting lost' pressure! Kinda forgetting where I need to go next, but this time I'm more about backtracking and exploring when I have a spare chance instead of just pushing forward. I feel like saving that all to the very end when you're way OP isn't as fun.

I guess I might count that as a minor nitpick for this game: once you get the screw attack you're a bit too OP.

Dr Bass

He requested the ban.

Was he astroturfing for Dread? Wouldn’t surprise me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Why would an astroturfer request a ban though? Even if your "job was done" seems a bit extreme.

Wonder if he got a warning and just threw in the towel. Not too many diehard Nintendo people around anymore like that.

tommib

Why would an astroturfer request a ban though? Even if your "job was done" seems a bit extreme.

Wonder if he got a warning and just threw in the towel. Not too many diehard Nintendo people around anymore like that.
Just a very, very small sample:

It’s not even the posts. There was some very strange timing with his posts when Dread came out. All of a sudden he had finished the game before it was released. I don’t know, call me cynical. Maybe he was just a fanboy but for sure it comes off as a job well done.

Dr Bass

Just a very, very small sample:

It’s not even the posts. There was some very strange timing with his posts when Dread came out. All of a sudden he had finished the game before it was released. I don’t know, call me cynical. Maybe he was just a fanboy but for sure it comes off as a job well done.
Yeah, you could very well be right. Dang it that would suck. He seemed to be up in all of the Nintendo threads which made me think he was just on Team Red or whatever. I still don't understand the ban if it was a paid gig though. Just ... log out.

Porcile

Speaking of Metroid 6. Has the possibility been discussed that

the X purposely fused with Samus because it somehow saw Samus as a means for keeping the species alive? Keeping Samus alive means the X can survive somehow. And thus the X will once again return for Metroid 6?

And is there any explanation out there why the final X was purple? If I remember correctly, the only time you see a purple X is when two X overlap eachother. A possible evolution perhaps?

I am surprised how well they pulled off the story in this game. Both hugely satisfying and still very intriguing.

Dr Bass

Speaking of Metroid 6. Has the possibility been discussed that

the X purposely fused with Samus because it somehow saw Samus as a means for keeping the species alive? Keeping Samus alive means the X can survive somehow. And thus the X will once again return for Metroid 6?

And is there any explanation out there why the final X was purple? If I remember correctly, the only time you see a purple X is when two X overlap eachother. A possible evolution perhaps?

I am surprised how well they pulled off the story in this game. Both hugely satisfying and still very intriguing.
I don't know if they plan that far ahead for the story on these. The stories are just there to serve the exploration IMO.

I know they said this was the "end" of the Metroid storyline, but what does that mean? The next game isn't called Metroid? I mean maybe but ... Adventures of Samus? Who knows.

Here is what they will likely do:

Metroid 6 - "Samus gets a call about something Mysterious on Planet X. Thought now extinct, a Metroid has been found and it's colonizing the planet!"

Then for some reason Kraid or Ridley will show up.

It's just a game, they can do anything they want to keep the "story" rolling. As long as you are exploring new planets with new abilities and puzzles, I don't think it matters. :)

amigastar

Damn, i have to return to Metroid Dread, got lost and didn't know where to go so i stopped playing. I think i'm gonna return to it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IGN's Game Prep is your guide to getting you prepped for everything you need to know before playing Metroid Dread. Brian Altano is detailing weapons, upgrades, power ups, boss encounters, and so much more.

Top Bottom