• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

Marty-McFly

Banned
No it’s not. It’s sterile and looks like an indie game. Didn’t you get the memo?
Sarcasm detected loud and clear.

People were way off about this game.

This game is gorgeous.

Edited for the next page.

2021101023172100-9A9B6E0371D34263D6B6577F9CBA54D5-1-1024x576.jpg

kraid.jpg

Metroid-Dread-Report-Vol-6-Squid.jpg

9778caef31be69f618fc41348720f4438161a4c6.gifv

Last edited:

kunonabi

Controversial take. I just beat the Samus Returns remake on the 3DS and I think it's better than Dread. Better map, pacing, good music, exploring and lots of puzzles. Less difficult but still challenging. It felt like a true Metroid. I liked Dread but something felt missing. If you like Dread and haven't played the 3DS game, give it a shot. The controls are exactly like Dread.

I'll have to get around to the Gameboy version at some point. It's the only traditional Metroid I haven't beaten now.
As a game on its own yeah I like Samus Returns better than dread. Problem is its a remake of II and it absolutely fails at that.

carlosrox

Banned
Whoa I definitely managed to grab the Scanner earlier than my first game! It wasn't any kind of sequence break or anything but I just so happened to remember a random spot I could access that I didn't remember the first game til much later. On my second game I'm going back to explore old areas instead of just pushing forward.

daveonezero

Banned
This game is so gorgeous. How does Nintendo do it?
Style, uniform design (consistency) focus on the things that actually communicate with a player.

yes it’s simple but just watching Samus move in the way she does, change in looks ever so slightly over the course of the game, teaching you and introducing more mechanics as you go is just what games are about. It is engaging and responsive on many levels

sure it isnt perfect or the most well thought out use of all the abilities. But the core mechanics are spot on to what the game is trying to do.

carlosrox

Banned
A THIRD way to kill Kraid was just uncovered.

This is the new BOTW where the gameplay is so good we'll be finding out new secrets for years.

Jesus fuck. Even if somehow figured out how to sequence break it so I had flash shift that fucking early, why would I ever think to do that into Kraid's mouth lol?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Reached Hanubia. Stopped in my tracks and backtracking now for energy and mission upgrades. My opinion of this game has just gotten higher and higher as I’ve played. I think the challenge level is absolutely perfect, the bosses are fantastic.

Porcile

Just beat Raven Beak 🍾 this is the only Metroid I’ve ever completed - longtime fans, are we set up for a Metroid 5?

Dread is Metroid 5, but as for 6 it does seem like Nintendo has found a studio to make these games so I expect a couple more till the series starts to run out of steam like Prime did.

carlosrox

Banned
Damnit what was Marty banned for this time?! Perma?!

So I haven't been able to play much of my second game in the last week or so so now I'm definitely feeling some 'getting lost' pressure! Kinda forgetting where I need to go next, but this time I'm more about backtracking and exploring when I have a spare chance instead of just pushing forward. I feel like saving that all to the very end when you're way OP isn't as fun.

I guess I might count that as a minor nitpick for this game: once you get the screw attack you're a bit too OP.

Dr Bass

He requested the ban.

Was he astroturfing for Dread? Wouldn’t surprise me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Why would an astroturfer request a ban though? Even if your "job was done" seems a bit extreme.

Wonder if he got a warning and just threw in the towel. Not too many diehard Nintendo people around anymore like that.

tommib

Why would an astroturfer request a ban though? Even if your "job was done" seems a bit extreme.

Wonder if he got a warning and just threw in the towel. Not too many diehard Nintendo people around anymore like that.
Just a very, very small sample:

ZWAT5Q3.jpg
SZwoejZ.jpg
wt7nsme.jpg
QSxCTuA.jpg
9RIlSmE.jpg

It’s not even the posts. There was some very strange timing with his posts when Dread came out. All of a sudden he had finished the game before it was released. I don’t know, call me cynical. Maybe he was just a fanboy but for sure it comes off as a job well done.

Dr Bass

Just a very, very small sample:

ZWAT5Q3.jpg
SZwoejZ.jpg
wt7nsme.jpg
QSxCTuA.jpg
9RIlSmE.jpg

It’s not even the posts. There was some very strange timing with his posts when Dread came out. All of a sudden he had finished the game before it was released. I don’t know, call me cynical. Maybe he was just a fanboy but for sure it comes off as a job well done.
Yeah, you could very well be right. Dang it that would suck. He seemed to be up in all of the Nintendo threads which made me think he was just on Team Red or whatever. I still don't understand the ban if it was a paid gig though. Just ... log out.

Porcile

Speaking of Metroid 6. Has the possibility been discussed that

the X purposely fused with Samus because it somehow saw Samus as a means for keeping the species alive? Keeping Samus alive means the X can survive somehow. And thus the X will once again return for Metroid 6?

And is there any explanation out there why the final X was purple? If I remember correctly, the only time you see a purple X is when two X overlap eachother. A possible evolution perhaps?

I am surprised how well they pulled off the story in this game. Both hugely satisfying and still very intriguing.

Dr Bass

Speaking of Metroid 6. Has the possibility been discussed that

the X purposely fused with Samus because it somehow saw Samus as a means for keeping the species alive? Keeping Samus alive means the X can survive somehow. And thus the X will once again return for Metroid 6?

And is there any explanation out there why the final X was purple? If I remember correctly, the only time you see a purple X is when two X overlap eachother. A possible evolution perhaps?

I am surprised how well they pulled off the story in this game. Both hugely satisfying and still very intriguing.
I don't know if they plan that far ahead for the story on these. The stories are just there to serve the exploration IMO.

I know they said this was the "end" of the Metroid storyline, but what does that mean? The next game isn't called Metroid? I mean maybe but ... Adventures of Samus? Who knows.

Here is what they will likely do:

Metroid 6 - "Samus gets a call about something Mysterious on Planet X. Thought now extinct, a Metroid has been found and it's colonizing the planet!"

Then for some reason Kraid or Ridley will show up.

It's just a game, they can do anything they want to keep the "story" rolling. As long as you are exploring new planets with new abilities and puzzles, I don't think it matters. :)

amigastar

Damn, i have to return to Metroid Dread, got lost and didn't know where to go so i stopped playing. I think i'm gonna return to it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IGN's Game Prep is your guide to getting you prepped for everything you need to know before playing Metroid Dread. Brian Altano is detailing weapons, upgrades, power ups, boss encounters, and so much more.

Pejo

Didn't mean to be mean. 😘

I thought there would be a general consensus.. My bad Pejo
Ah, no - my apologies then, I thought the first line of your reply was a dig at me. I just thought that the site I linked was helpful for those types of questions. I use it for gauging playtime of all sorts of games before I buy them.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ah, no - my apologies then, I thought the first line of your reply was a dig at me. I just thought that the site I linked was helpful for those types of questions. I use it for gauging playtime of all sorts of games before I buy them.

I see. Nah I'm bad at text so it may sounded sarcastic or whatever. Sorry.

But cool, could be very helpful indeed. Gracias

Jennings

I have about 3 hours into the game and I just hate it. I grew up with the original Metroid on NES and have played a couple 2D sequels and all the Primes before this. I love what I've played of the series as a whole but this particular entry rubs me the wrong way in a few areas ( E.M.M.I. stuff and boss fights) so I've thrown in the towel and will sell my copy on eBay.

I'm more disappointed than angry or anything.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Most people love the boss fights, but EMMIs are divisive. The rest of the game is a blast to play, though. As someone who's played most of the Metroid series (my favorite games being Super, Prime, and Zero Mission), Dread really hit the spot. I understand why it's not for everyone as Metroid-likes and Metroidvanias are abundant and there are more options out there that better fit different play styles and aesthetic preferences.

Last edited:
Anyone else trying to complete everything in this game, including DLC? I finished Dread Mode a few months ago, then completed Boss Rush and Dread Rush shortly after they came out. I don't think I'm good enough to get through all the bosses in Survival Rush, but that doesn't technically have an end so I'm not concerned about that one.

I have all the gallery stuff unlocked (which required sub-4:00 times on both difficulty levels). My only remaining challenge is Dread Mode in under 4 hours (which is just a self-imposed challenge as it doesn't unlock anything).

I've played all the Metroid games multiple times, and Metroid Dread really checked all the boxes for me. It was cool starting out and dying constantly but gradually improving to the point of conquering Dread Mode. A truly fantastic game! Now all I need is Metroid Prime 4 to satisfy the 3D Metroid itch.

Arachnid

This game is fucking amazing. I'm on the second robot chozo fight right now, but so far it's been near perfect. Pretty sure it's going to end up my favorite Metroid.

My only complaint is something a lot of people have as a positive. Map exploration is maybe a little too intuitive? I always know exactly where to go. It's almost linear and extremely handholdy, which isn't want I want from a Metroidvania. Hollow Knight handled this a little bit better. On the other hand, the bosses are the perfect difficulty level. You'll die a couple of times, but you can comfortable figure things out for yourself unlike HK which had some legit brutal bosses that locked you for a while.

Can't wait to see what they do for Prime 4

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This game is fucking amazing. I'm on the second robot chozo fight right now, but so far it's been near perfect. Pretty sure it's going to end up my favorite Metroid.

My only complaint is something a lot of people have as a positive. Map exploration is maybe a little too intuitive? I always know exactly where to go. It's almost linear and extremely handholdy, which isn't want I want from a Metroidvania. Hollow Knight handled this a little bit better. On the other hand, the bosses are the perfect difficulty level. You'll die a couple of times, but you can comfortable figure things out for yourself unlike HK which had some legit brutal bosses that locked you for a while.

Can't wait to see what they do for Prime 4
It's legitimately a 10/10 for me. Among the best action games of all time, like Resident Evil 4 and Ninja Gaiden Black. The best Metroid for me, easily. Everything is nearly perfect: gameplay, control, bosses, pacing, level design, subtle guidance in the critical path, optional speed running tricks. Only thing is the OST is not flawless, but just merely decent/good. It's pretty much a perfect game.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Got to the first boss with the tail think you get the cloaking device for beating it? Anyway I am struggling using the Switch in portable mode with the joycons attached. Thinking I’ll have a better experience in docked mode and pro controller?

Finding joycons too fiddly. That boss fight if it’s the first one took me ages but again I’m also used to PS / Xbox button layout.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Got to the first boss with the tail think you get the cloaking device for beating it? Anyway I am struggling using the Switch in portable mode with the joycons attached. Thinking I’ll have a better experience in docked mode and pro controller?

Finding joycons too fiddly. That boss fight if it’s the first one took me ages but again I’m also used to PS / Xbox button layout.
Pro controller for sure

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Joycons are bullshit, use the pro controller if you have the option. This game isn’t very forgiving, especially on hard mode. I…maybe got scolded by the wife for screaming at it on hard mode on the final boss

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Need help with shine spark please.

How do you manage to jump AND THEN activate it when your in mid air? The activate / jump is tied to the same controller button it seems.

Seen people do it on YT vids but I cannot seem to manage to do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom