• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

Porcile

Haven't beaten it yet but the last boss is some real DBZ stuff lol. Also, I am absolutely loving the pulpy anime sci-fi writing, cheesy as it is.

This game appeals to me on so many levels. It's an absolute genius blend of Super Metroid and Fusion. As a Metroid fan since I was a kid, I couldn't have asked for anything better. Looking forward to finishing up the game tomorrow.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, the stick you use to move, no less. I've played through Super, Fusion, and ZM dozens of times together and while the Speed Booster has always been slightly unnatural, I much prefer it being automatic or tied to a held down shoulder button (what I set it to in Super) than what they've done here...

That's true. But I gotta say, I find that decision completely baffling. Clicking in the stick and moving while having it held in just felt awful to me in RE2.
You don't have to keep holding it. Just click once and start running. It's never ideal, but they're literally out of buttons. They already have buttons doing multiple things like ZL for morph ball / slide and more. It honestly isn't too bad.

Rran

You don't have to keep holding it. Just click once and start running. It's never ideal, but they're literally out of buttons. They already have buttons doing multiple things like ZL for morph ball / slide and more. It honestly isn't too bad.
I did get the Speed Booster very recently so hopefully I get used to it, as the rest of the gameplay feels great. I'm curious why they felt the need to have an activation button at all though rather than having it automatically activate like in MF/ZM.

Ogbert

Just finished it.

Great game. I started out luke warm, then absolutely loved it, and finished somewhere in between the two positions.

I think my only gripe was that I did not especially enjoy the exploration. It gives you the impression of grand scale, but it's actually extremely linear. But it has obtuse moments, where you're simply wondering around aimlessly looking for the right door. Obviously, this improves with map knowledge, but it's not especially fun.

Awesome combat.

Also, quite surprised at how much people have been taken aback by the boss design. It is certainly great - but I just see traditional, old school bosses where you needed to work out what to do; like a side scrolling shooter. Shows how much gaming has changed.

Aldric

This game is unbelievably good!

Samus has always been a badass, but MercurySteam really hit the nail on the head when it came to perfecting her in Metroid Dread
The animations in Dread are the best I've seen in any game in recent memory. They're not being mentioned enough when talking about the game's merits, they're miles ahead of every other 2.5D games and I'd say even 3D games in general. The way they were able to express Samus character through her body language alone is extremely impressive, but what's maybe the most awe inspiring is how they managed to do it while still making the game a super fluid action packed adventure. Detailed animations generally mean that a game feels less responsive and stiffer but here it's the best of both worlds.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was fighting that Z-57 boss and I fought it for over an hour and I'm like how much fucking health does this damn thing have, it just won't die. I knew I had to be doing something wrong.

Then I googled a video and I didn't know you had to use the lock on missiles to shoot the legs out in the one part. A little butt hurt that something so small didn't allow me to kill the boss. Made it feel like it was script based and not damage, which feels un Metroid like. But whatever, I'm past it now.

Still loving it. Only small gripe I have is I wish I had the ability to go exploring more before you're fully upgraded. There's always something in the way that prevents much of your exploration, so I know once I get my fully upgraded Samus, I'm going to be spending a ton of time backtracking all over the maps to get all the upgrades. Which I wanted to avoid by doing it bit by bit during the playthrough. But changes in the environment and other things just make it impossible til you advance.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Finished Dread, Mercury Steam and Sakamoto did an excellent job with the return of Samus, best controls of any 2D Metroid, fun bosses, visuals are pretty atmospheric,art direction is strong, appreciate the high framerate.

The first half of the game had almost no plot and its very linear, but thankfully it got better later, the EMMI sections are tedious and i wouldn't miss them next time,one SA-X>all EMMIS the soundtrack is good but i wish it had more to it.

Super Metroid>Metroid Fusion>Dread=Zero Mission>Other M>Samus Returns>Metroid 2

Astral Dog

I was fighting that Z-57 boss and I fought it for over an hour and I'm like how much fucking health does this damn thing have, it just won't die. I knew I had to be doing something wrong.

Then I googled a video and I didn't know you had to use the lock on missiles to shoot the legs out in the one part. A little butt hurt that something so small didn't allow me to kill the boss. Made it feel like it was script based and not damage, which feels un Metroid like. But whatever, I'm past it now.

Still loving it. Only small gripe I have is I wish I had the ability to go exploring more before you're fully upgraded. There's always something in the way that prevents much of your exploration, so I know once I get my fully upgraded Samus, I'm going to be spending a ton of time backtracking all over the maps to get all the upgrades. Which I wanted to avoid by doing it bit by bit during the playthrough. But changes in the environment and other things just make it impossible til you advance.
Yeah its simply not worth going back to explore before fully upgrading Samus imo, backtracking can get annoying and the game gives you the most important items (Energy Tanks) as you progress through the plot, i tried a few times but got bored because it expects you to have all abilities, (or simply won't let you go back if you are at a point in the story)

Also getting missile expansions gets a little boring, in Samus Returns you could upgrade your Aeion for example.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Lf6n1hA.jpg

kkntaqe.jpg

- Hard mode next! -

This may be my favorite Metroid ever- Right up there with Super Metroid and Metroid Prime for my favorite games of all time. It certainly has the best controls, and if the music tracks had been as iconic as the other two games I mentioned, it would have been the most perfect game ever for me (although I hope a 4K or higher remaster will happen at some point!) ❤️

Cutty Flam

Banned
Which sector of the planet does everyone like the most? It’s kind of a tough question to answer I’ve found, since they all sort of blend well into one theme

Guessing it would depend a lot on one’s favorite boss in the game too but my pick goes to Dairon for now

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lf6n1hA.jpg

kkntaqe.jpg

- Hard mode next! -

This may be my favorite Metroid ever- Right up there with Super Metroid and Metroid Prime for my favorite games of all time. It certainly has the best controls, and if the music tracks had been as iconic as the other two games I mentioned, it would have been the most perfect game ever for me (although I hope a 4K or higher remaster will happen at some point!) ❤️

completely agree, I’m 100% too absolutely incredible game. It’s deffo my goty and there’s been some amazing games this year.

the control is just sublime.

man I’ll remember it for years. I need the Metroid prime trilogy asap!

Samus, is just amazing in this game! Absolute bad ass.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Yikes I feel like I'm starting to see random little spoilers perusing the thread like the finish screen, later EMMIs, etc.

Beat the game yesterday, 10hrs 17mins 64% items collected. I loved it 9/10 for me. Controls were great, lore was cool, music wasn’t bad but not good either.

Going to do my victory lap now and get 100% items and map. Then hard mode. Some of the speed puzzles are really interesting, been having a blast solving them.

edit, my favorite one, took me a bit to figure out

Last edited:

Aldric

Which sector of the planet does everyone like the most? It’s kind of a tough question to answer I’ve found, since they all sort of blend well into one theme

Guessing it would depend a lot on one’s favorite boss in the game too but my pick goes to Dairon for now
Burenia for me. In part because it has the only memorable area theme in the game but also because it's an interesting take on the usual water area, when you're outside the facility it has a sort of oil rig in the middle of a storm atmosphere that I really like. I also appreciate the attention to detail with the worldbuilding as it's an underground ocean (it's pitch black with the only lightsources being artificial) but the "rain" can be explained by the fact it's situated below Ghavoran which is a kind of rainforest with a lot of water sources.

Speaking of areas, what are you guys favorite rooms in the game? Here are mine:
vmOP5Qn.jpg

This one is easy, probably the most striking room in the game.
9uJDezK.jpg

As I said I love the stormy atmosphere here.
99gdMlu.jpg

Ferenia's entrance from Ghavoran. Just gorgeous.
d5E1PcS.jpg

This guy is the coolest.
Z67GZ8G.jpg
ReqXeS3.jpg

This room from Ghavoran reminds me a lot of Torvus Bog from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, especially the bottom part.
M1h3kSI.jpg

The room before the Escue fight...
hfAapyR.jpg

And the boss room itself.
PyaVCQT.jpg
uhfScKy.jpg

The contrast between the beautiful natural exterior and the sinister gate to Elun is striking.
That's off the top of my head but I could have posted a few more. The art direction in this game is exceptional.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I finally beat it yesterday, 100% included... The game is AMAZING, first game I 100% ever lol. But I'm not sure if I'll replay it in the short term cause I have too many games already lining, just started Shadow of the Tomb Raider today and curiously enough, I felt the game too slow and full of pauses all the time compared to the fast pace and traversing of Metroid.

It took me 17 hours in game time BTW, enough quality time for the bucks spent IMO.

scalman

Game done. Ending felt weird. Tried do more exploring from last save still cillecting those last upgrades and such but whats the point rly.
Started play samus return 3ds version on citra with 6x res. Quite good visuals. Diff upgrades there some stuff where not even on new game.
As for dread it feels like you get all best upgrades at end of game when you dont need them so much anymore.
Its like im so powerfull at end but why though? I explored all allready.

Last edited:

Porcile

Had to happen.

I wonder who put this into a second hand store the day after release...
buMotvX.jpg

Cost ¥2000 less than on the Nintendo store

They might've needed the cash quickly and couldn't return it to the where they bought it originally. Book Off is the easiest way to get rid of stuff quickly in Japan. You never really know people's situation and reasons for selling stuff.

Last edited:

Tschumi

They might've needed the cash quickly and couldn't return it to the where they bought it originally. Book Off is the easiest way to get rid of stuff quickly in Japan. You never really know people's situation and reasons for selling stuff.
yes this is fair, maybe it was a kid who got screamed at by their parents lol, maybe their mum did it

book off pays horribly, they probably got like 1500 yen for the trade in

lucky me, either way

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In Metroid Dread, you must escape the clutches of seven seemingly indestructible robots known as EMMI, in a game where the bounty hunter has become the bounty hunted. Here's everything you need to know about Metroid Dread.

cireza

Banned
So I eventually gave Mercury Steam a chance and decided to play the game.

I have to admit they did a great job. Game is excellent, and it is also a very impressive technical achievement for the console. Looks native res (720p), 60fps.
This is a huge step forward compared to Samus Returns, and now I think this game should have another chance on the more powerful hardware that is the Switch.

Last edited:

Neff

Just finished it, really enjoyed it. That last boss was wild.

I still think I prefer Samus Returns, mostly due to it being based on Metroid II, which I love, even though Dread is clearly superior in many ways. I felt like the environments in SR were more distinctive too, visually and in terms of layout. The EMMIs are great.

Hard to place in the ranking at the moment, I need to go through it again.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I've said many negative about Dread and while I still want more exploration-like Metroid my god this game is excellent!! The more I play - more I like it. Even EMMIs which I hated now seems like a very good "stress" for the player to not ever feel like a god. They also made the game more memorable and unique. Definitely one of the best Metroid game ever and it's easy GOTY for me. Not because I'm a long (20+ years) Metroid fan, but because this game is so good. Mercury Steam - you are awesome! Thanks for the Dread and Samus Returns (which is still my favorite)

P. S: aiming is still shit (very sensitive)

Also needs a "dead" counter :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I just finished it with 100%. Absolutely amazing. I really liked how it refreshed a lot of the traditional items and timing in which you get them. I am really interested to see what happens with Samus in the future.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Beat it and got 100% and thought it was a great game. I didn't think any of the bosses were all that difficult once you got their patterns down. I was toying with the final boss at the end once I got the patterns down.

That's what I love about Metroid. There's no cheapness. You are rewarded for learning, unlike some other games where they have bosses and enemies cheap as hell.

Honestly, the things I had most difficulty with in the game were getting 100% items and doing those speed block sections that I found super annoying.

Two great games of the same genre back to back. F.I.S.T and this. Both great in their own right.

carlosrox

Banned
Can't wait to smoke up and dig into this game again. Haven't gotten a chance to play much since Sat or Sun.

Can't wait to get at the second boss again, beat it, and see what comes next.

"It's time to see what's next".

Last edited:

Tschumi

sigh, i'm not giving up but i have yet to succesfully parry an emmi and it's, to adopt an australia parody of a new zealand accent:

guving me the shuts ay

i actually wonder if my game is hacked or my unit has broken face buttons or something because there is genuinely no timing that i haven't tried - early, late, right when the lights flash - that doesn't fail

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
sigh, i'm not giving up but i have yet to succesfully parry an emmi and it's, to adopt an australia parody of a new zealand accent:

guving me the shuts ay

The easiest cue is just wait for his red eye to flash.

And you get two attempts: when he first grabs you and when he sticks you if I'm not mistaken.

I've pulled it off a few times but most of the time I've ended up dying anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom