• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid fans, don't sleep on: Metroid II: Return of Samus

maxcriden

293f85_54528356c0ebdc4fcae4208fa5cc02ed.jpg_256

As we all know, there is a remake of this game coming in just a few short months. However, I often see Metroid fans mention they have not played the original two games in the series. Metroid is already being discussed in another thread, but I wanted to single out Metroid II as my favorite Metroid game and encourage others to give it a shot.

The game will run you a measly $3.99 on the 3DS eShop, and unlike the original, this version offers save states if that floats your boat.

Metroid_II_Return_of_Samus_gameplay.PNG

Samus enters the caverns of the planet SR388. The figures on the bottom of the screen indicate her energy, stock of missiles, and remaining number of Metroids she must eliminate.

The game contains the same gameplay as in the other 2D Metroid, presented in stark black and white or gray and green.

Via GB:

If you hold start + Select [edit: Start or Select] while booting up Super Maio Land the game will load in its original resolution with a Game Boy border, to make it look like it's playing on an original Game Boy. If you turn up the 3D while in this mode the screen slides just a tad back, just like it was a proper Game Boy. Also while in the middle of playing if you hold L + R and then Y, the screen will go to green just like the original. I think all of the above, is freaking sweet!

Anyway, what makes this game special at all in the series? Well, for me, no other entry is quite as focused or engenders such a strong sense of stark isolation. In black and white the world of SR388 looks positively alien and unrecognizable in a way that colors for me diminish a bit. The music is spare and haunting. The receding lava serves as an elegant way to allow exploration of ever deeper areas. The game is quite short, clocking in at an average of 4 hours on HLTB, but it makes for a compelling and engaging brief experience, with the combination of brevity, focus and isolation providing to me the purest Metroid experience.

It also serves as a direct prequel to Super Metroid, so you can see where the events at the beginning of that game came from.

For $4, it's a minimal gamble and one I strongly recommend taking.

P.S. this is my 33,000th post. Eek.

-

Bonus: here is a better and more articulate case for Metroid II from esteemed poster KYB:

Killer Yakuza B said:
zlCfzSdUnF8hVjrcj4

I know "Metroid" and "under-appreciated" don't usually go together in the same sentence but this game is definitely not appreciated enough. How the first game gets more praise than the clearly superior sequel is a wonder to me. Well, OK, I know why that is, but still.

Metroid 2 plays somewhat differently from the rest of the series. Instead of exploring a huge map, retreading your way after getting new items and power-ups to find previously unavailable passages, this game has a relatively more straight-forward map, which doesn't mean at all that there's no exploration. In order to advance, you must hunt down and kill the different kinds of Metroid in each area before before moving on to the next. A counter at the bottom of the screen lets you know how many Metroid you have left and seeing it slowly go down throughout the game until only 1 remains is very satisfactory. There are more Metroid types than in the other games, from the classic round thing to some really freaky and scary looking creatures. As expected, the atmosphere is superb and the extermination twist on the Metroid formula does wonders for the usual horror theme the series has going on. Things can get quite scary and tense, maybe more so than in the rest of the series. Sometimes just finding the discarded husk of a Metroid cadaver is enough to raise the tension in preparation for the incoming boss fight.

Most of the usual power-ups from the Metroid series can be found here, some of them for the first time: high jump, different suits, space jump, screw attack, missile expansions, bombs, jump ball, and so on, with the addition of the awesome sticky ball or whatever it is actually called (me and my friends called it the fried egg when we were kids). This one lets you stick to the walls and even the ceiling when in ball form, leading to some "interesting" exploration sessions.

To top things off, the graphics are great, particularly the Samus and different Metroid sprites. The music, by Ryoji Yoshitomi, who later worked on the Wario series, is just plain awesome if a bit scarce. If the song from the beginning doesn't get you itching to kick some Metroid ass, I'd check for a pulse, and the title screen music is downright beautiful. The whole final part of the game is particularly well done, with a great final boss and a nice ending sequence that leads directly to the Super Metroid intro.

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

Music samples: Title Screen / SR-388

If you like Metroid and haven't checked this game out, you owe it to yourself. All in all, it feels like a much modern game than Metroid that advanced the series towards the fan favorite, wonderful Super Metroid. Metroid 2 Return of Samus is also available on Virtual Console.

Toxi

Banned
I like this game.

Yes, it's horrifically limited by the hardware. The nicest thing you can say about it is that it's the best Metroid game possible on the Gameboy.

But it's still the best Metroid game possible on the Gameboy.

Definitely worth playing for diehard Metroid fans just to see how the series has grown from its roots.

Pinky

Banned
I have the game on 3DS VC, but have played very little of it. After the announcement of M:SR, I want to give it another shot.

Modoru

I don't want to be contrarian, but isn't this the game that's being remade as Metroid 2: Samus Returns, for the 3ds, anyway?

Why not just wait for that one with small QoL updates?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude or anything 😩

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It was a cool game at the time, but has aged very poorly. You have next to no visibility, the level design is underwhelming, and the mechanics just don't feel good. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

dukie85

The original Metroid 2 has always been horrible to me.. If I still had a 3ds, it sure wouldn't be the version I pick up, $4 or not...

I permit people to sleep on it, it's not that great. Didn't like it that much when it came out, and I still don't.

Remake is looking good though.

Without a built in map I couldn't do it.
And I wasn't gonna resort to printing one.
It needed it in game bad.

Id say go with AM2R

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It was the first Metroid game that I owned and I loved it as a kid. The atmosphere was so incredibly bizarre at the time - beyond the NES game, in that sense. The strange soundtrack combined with the black and white visuals worked for me. Plus, the way Metroids remained stationary until you were close enough was always eerie - you'd run into a room and it would just be there. I remember freezing up, gritting my teeth and preparing for battle each time.

Faiz

I won't give it away, but I clearly remember sitting in my basement, near the end, an event occurs. It was annoying enough that I turned it off, sat down my GB, and never played it again.

I'm not saying it was right but I was like 14.

Mupod

I have a weird relationship with Metroid 2. As a kid this is the game I wanted a Game Boy for, so so badly. I saved up all my birthday money, christmas money, everything I could get. Ended up being the first system I bought with my own money, my dad got me Metroid 2 afterwards. I think part of it was that he was proud of me saving up, and part of it apology for hogging the system to play Tetris.

Anyways, the game was as cool as I expected but it scared the EVERLOVING SHIT out of me. I never made it much past the first or second Gamma Metroid until way later.

Due to some bad shit happening to me, there was a 2 month period in my life where this was basically the only entertainment I had. In 2003. Needless to say I got very, very good at it. I think it's still the only Metroid I've played where I got the best ending.

Still haven't had time to try out AM2R but I've got the new remake preordered for now.

Psxphile

I went from Metroid to Super Metroid, completely sleeping on Return of Samus so I think you're a little late OP. Even when I was finally able to get a copy and play it on an GBC the game's structure left a lot to be desired. Can't tell you how many times I started a New Game only to quit less than half-way through, usually because I was playing something else that better held my attention.

When AM2R was nearing release last year I said now or never and dove in one more time. And finally it clicked for me and I completed it some 4-6 hours later minus breaks. I remember the Zeta metroids giving me a particularly hard time. Great little game, hampered only by the limitations of the hardware. I was glad to have finally experienced the original and was able to appreciate the fan remake so much more afterwards.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I really want to play it but don't have a 3DS. Why couldn't we get both games for Switch!

I'm just being greedy, MP4 will do nicely.

Neiteio

*puts hands on hips*

Now Max, how would someone sleep on Metroid II? It's a cartridge, and what kind of bed is that. A bed for ants??

If any self-proclaimed Metroid fan has slept on this, I say we take their fandom card away. There's only 7 unique games in the series, so there's no reason to skip any of them!

It's the last game in the series I haven't played; and was planning on waiting for the remake to jump in since I missed AM2R before it got taken down.

Should I play it before Samus Returns? I kinda dont want to spoil the map.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I own two copy of the games and I never got round to playing them, kinda glad that I didn't as I can opt for the remake.

Though who do I have to bug for a Link Awakening remake, that game could do with one.

Oozer3993

I like this game.

Yes, it's horrifically limited by the hardware. The nicest thing you can say about it is that it's the best Metroid game possible on the Gameboy.

But it's still the best Metroid game possible on the Gameboy.

Definitely worth playing for diehard Metroid fans just to see how the series has grown from its roots.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. It's kinda hard to play now, but the ambition for such a limited system is admirable.

If anybody is really itching to play it and doesn't want to wait for the 3DS remake, but is hesitant due to the limitations, I highly recommend AM2R. It's a damn good remake.

Is this the one with the alpha, beta, etc metroids? I think I played it a long time ago. Might have even beat it, but I honestly can't remember.

I've played every Metroid game except the Hunters DS demo, FF and Pinball, and this game is not really that good at all.

It might be because the first time I played this game was only a few years ago. I literally bought it on the 3DS, because it was the last "proper" Metroid game I hadn't played. It just felt so dated and archaic. I have similar complaints about the original Metroid, but this game feels even worse because everything is zoomed in a bit too much.

The game really wants to be Super Metroid. You could tell the ideas were brewing for a much larger, much better Metroid with this game. But it's just... not that good to play if you've played the other, much better games in the series.

Played it for about 10 minutes and peaced out. Same with Metroid 1. Both games were probably necessary steps to get to Super, and that's pretty rad, but I wouldn't want to play them any day of the week. The hardware limitations are real.

Neiteio

In all honesty, I'd rather just wait for Samus Returns, which honestly looks like the most fun-to-play 2D Metroid by a good country mile. My most wanted game this year, alongside Mario Odyssey.

Hero

As a kid I had this game and would only play it in the summer on the road when my family took vacations so it took me a few years to beat.

It was a good experience back then since it was you being completely isolated and having to figure things out on your own. It had an awesome vibe to it but it has not aged well as a game.

Silkworm

I never owned or played an NES, so Metroid II on the original GB was my introduction to the Metroid series. So this game has a lot of fond memories for me. Of course I then got a SNES and Super Metroid came along and blew it out of the water. :-D But I do have to agree the stark isolation for Metroid II was palpable to me, thanks in part to those monochrome colors ;-) Metroid II and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening are what made owning the original Game Boy a worthwhile experience for me :)

I personally loved M2 over Metroid 1. Was one of the few GameBoy games I had. I received an OG GameBoy as an Xmas gift from my uncle. He had it while deployed in the Navy and gifted it to me as he no longer had a need for it.

Tetris and Metroid 2 were the games I had. Played the hell out of it many times, so I'm looking forward to the remake on 3DS.

I prefer the 2D games compared to the first person offerings myself.

Griss

It was the first Metroid game that I owned and I loved it as a kid. The atmosphere was so incredibly bizarre at the time - beyond the NES game, in that sense. The strange soundtrack combined with the black and white visuals worked for me. Plus, the way Metroids remained stationary until you were close enough was always eerie - you'd run into a room and it would just be there. I remember freezing up, gritting my teeth and preparing for battle each time.

This was my exact experience. As a young kid the atmosphere was terrifying. Took real courage to proceed when a metroid was just waiting for you.

That said, recommending someone to play it in 2017 considering the hardware limitations when there's a remake around the corner is a bit silly to me. When I replay it, I just do the first 20 minutes before thinking "Yeah, that's my nostalgia fix, now let's play something good."

Metroid II GB is the worst traditional Metroid game, IMO. I'd rather play the NES original any day of the week. Better music, better visibility, better graphics.

Thankfully there are two remakes. The existing one is fantastic (AM2R) and I hope the other one is too when it releases.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Heh, it's almost as archaic as the first Metroid.

Do NOT skip the remake on 3DS, if you have one, though.

Nintendo finally listened, might be a good idea to prove it was a good idea to listen to us.

Blam

Heh, it's almost as archaic as the first Metroid.

Do NOT skip the remake on 3DS, if you have one, though.

Nintendo finally listened, might be a good idea to prove it was a good idea to listen to us.

Oh i definitely won't skip the remake.

I bought this after I finished AM2R remake to show my support for the series and let Nintendo know I was interested in this franchise continuing. Still have to play it though.

Top Bottom