• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid fans, don't sleep on: Metroid II: Return of Samus

Feichaw

It's the only Metroid that I've that I couldn't finish. If there's a game that didn't age well, it's Metroid II. I honestly don't recommend it to anyone. There are better alternatives out there. Sorry.

antibolo

Banned
Back then Nintendo Power ran an issue that had maps for the entire game. I finished the game with those maps.

It was pretty fun, but at this point you might as well just play either of the two remakes of that game.

poodaddy

This is the only Metroid game I haven't played, but to be honest I think I'll just wait for the 3DS remake; it looks like it's gonna be quality stuff and the melee counter mechanic looks incredibly fun. I've found that when I go back to play games that were Gameboy exclusive, even if I enjoyed them as a kid like Link's Awakening, I just can't get into them as much these days.

Nephtes

Really?
An average playthrough is only 4 hours?

I seem to remember this taking a lot longer when I was a kid...
I haven't played Metroid II since it first came out, but I know it took me a lot longer than 4 hours... Mostly because I was lost as fuck.

Without differentiating each zone with colors, it's a lot harder to figure out where you are...

I'm absolutely looking forward to the new version, which I hope will alleviate the issue by adding some much needed color (and a map).

Color is definitely one advantage the original game had over its sequel...
I don't recall needing a map to play Metroid I...

mindatlarge

I played through Metroid II on 3DS when it came out on the eShop and really enjoyed it, minus a couple times when I got hopefully lost and had to resort to looking up a map for it. Great little game considering the system it was on.

Really looking forward to the remake!

KingBroly

Banned
Metroid II is one of the few Nintendo games that absolutely needed a remake and has since the day it shipped. It's just too cramped and confusing to be playable.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It was my first Metroid, way back when I was a little kid. Even playing it on the original GB gave me the chills. I was honestly too scared to play it. That very first Metroid you encounter, breaking out of its cocoon... fucking scary shit, man.

StarPhlox

Play AM2R and then buy the remake this September!

There's not really a compelling reason to go back to Metroid II:ROS at this point other than curiosity. In a vacuum 25 years after the fact it is just a good game and essential only to diehard fans.

There really is no reason to.play the Gameboy version. It aged very badly.

Either play AM2R or wait for the upcoming 3ds version. It's not that far out.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Pre-Super Metroid Metroid isn't really worth trying to play today. The first game for historical value, sure, but Zero Mission is a better game, and there's no reason to slog through Metroid 2 unless you played it as a kid and have rose glasses in place already, because otherwise it's just primitive and annoying. AM2R and Samus Returns are very needed things.

Ironic, considering the last time I tried playing the game for an extended period of time I fell asleep. Not trashing the game, just find it to have aged the worst.

People definitely shouldn't skip AM2R though. I think that game maybe even eclipses Zero Mission in how much is improved in the remake over the original.

bounchfx

I had this as a kid and tried to play it a ton of times, but kept never getting past whatever area had that fucking toxic ground or whatever

fuck that shit XD

There really is no reason to.play the Gameboy version. It aged very badly.

Either play AM2R or wait for the upcoming 3ds version. It's not that far out.

Pre-Super Metroid Metroid isn't really worth trying to play today. The first game for historical value, sure, but Zero Mission is a better game, and there's no reason to slog through Metroid 2 unless you played it as a kid and have rose glasses in place already, because otherwise it's just primitive and annoying. AM2R and Samus Returns are very needed things.

I recommend that people play the game, even if it's FOR historical value. The worst that could happen is that you played an old game you didn't like and got a perspective for the state of the series in 1986/1991.

And I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of Zero Mission/Samus Returns being outright replacements for the originals, as so much has changed that they might as well be considered different games entirely.

Jawmuncher

I own it on 3DS. Fucking hate it. I'll sleep on that game until the day I die. Really glad for the remake/reimagining so I can play that chapter without touching the original.

Metroid 1 and 2 are games I'll always play the remakes over the originals.

I played it via the Ambassador program and loved it. I'm not sure where all the dislike for the game is coming from. It felt way ahead of its time.

beril

It's a great game with an amazing atmosphere and from the looks of it the 'remake' will be a completely different game and by no means a replacement, so there is really no excuse not to play it. Just don't go in expecting Super Metroid

I don't want to be contrarian, but isn't this the game that's being remade as Metroid 2: Samus Returns, for the 3ds, anyway?

Why not just wait for that one with small QoL updates?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude or anything ��

because the remake is by no means just small QoL updates. It's an entirely new game that pretty much just shares the overall structure, story and other superficial similarities. There's no reason not to play both

maxcriden

I don't want to be contrarian, but isn't this the game that's being remade as Metroid 2: Samus Returns, for the 3ds, anyway?

Why not just wait for that one with small QoL updates?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude or anything 😩

In all honesty, I'd rather just wait for Samus Returns, which honestly looks like the most fun-to-play 2D Metroid by a good country mile. My most wanted game this year, alongside Mario Odyssey.

From what I've seen of MSR, I expect the two to be pretty different experiences to play through. If you're concerned about being spoiled on the content, structure et al. I suppose I would just recommend you consider trying out the OG if you end up enjoying the remake. At the least it's a very small time investment and I think it will feel fairly different to play each.

Metroid II is a really difficult game to love unless you are ok with drawing maps with pen and paper as you go. And grinding energy if you get hit too many times or, heaven forbid, die.

It's probably worth trying for $4, but then you should move on and play AM2R instead, which is simply excellent.

MoonFrog

Skipping it in my current Metroid binge becuase I want to remember as little as I already do for the remake.

Still, a great game. I think I've only played it twice? IDK. I'd recommend it definitely outside of the current cycle towards the remake. Not sure I'd recommend it atm.

Lost? It's the most linear Metroid game, even when taking Fusion and Other M into account.
The lack of ingame map and the fact that many of the areas look extremely similar if not identical makes it extremely easy to get hopelessly lost without external resources.

beril

I recommend that people play the game, even if it's FOR historical value. The worst that could happen is that you played an old game you didn't like and got a perspective for the state of the series in 1986/1991.

And I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of Zero Mission/Samus Returns being outright replacements for the originals, as so much has changed that they might as well be considered different games entirely.

Yes I really dislike Zero Mission as a remake. And since super Metroid already revisited so many of the areas from Metroid 1 anyway, it just ends up feeling like a shittier version of SM instead.

At least Samus Returns looks like an interesting game on it's own that brings some new stuff to the table instead of just being another Super Metroid rehash, but I still can't really see it as a remake.

If you completely change the gameplay, level design, and overall feel of the game, what's the point of calling it a remake rather than a new game? Story, I guess? But who gives a shit about that in a Metroid game?

Nice work, OP. I'm with you. I'm replaying it now on my SGB and CRT. I'm in the fourth major area and I've defeated about 16 or 17 of the 39 Metroids. Here's what I posted earlier today in the Samus Returns thread:

I'm replaying Metroid 2. It's as I remember from 25 years ago - pretty solid but not exactly Metroid. I suppose it's not all that far off from what Metroid was when it was only the original game and this was the first-ever sequel in what would eventually become a franchise IP. But it's pretty far afield from what the series would become. I think they did a great job with the structure of the game - you can get lost but never bewildered. I have taken to using an online map at times but I'm not using it as a guide. One thing I really like about the structure is they way they evoked a sense of huge temples or buildings inside of underground caverns. You can really see it when you look at a map.

It's not a terrible game. It's just kind of one-dimensional. It's retro ... it's a GB game from 1991. The music and atmosphere they created with that hardware is really something else, though.

I recommend keeping a map handy and using it when you need to. The game isn't all that complex, though. Just make sure you explore every wall and ceiling as you go and you'll be fine.

Yes I really dislike Zero Mission as a remake. And since super Metroid already revisited so many of the areas from Metroid 1 anyway, it just ends up feeling like a shittier version of SM instead.

Shitty is kind of a strong adjective, but I sort of agree. In some aspects, Super Metroid already feels like a remake of Metroid 1, with similar areas, bosses, but with the goal of 1-upping it (I've always liked how it does a bait and switch with small and tall Kraid for example). Zero Mission takes quite a bit from Super Metroid as well as from the original, but with worse aesthetics (Graphics, art style, music, due mostly to hardware of the GBA), and is about half as long.

I still like Zero Mission to an extent, but it's certainly no Resident Evil Remake.

Rambler

Metroid 2 is cool because it's actually about metroids, it's actually about bounty hunting, and it adds a lot to the setting without a single word. No boring scan logs or bad cutscenes anywhere to be found.

Plus, the way Metroids remained stationary until you were close enough was always eerie - you'd run into a room and it would just be there. I remember freezing up, gritting my teeth and preparing for battle each time.
It's especially tense because taking a step forward could cause the metroid to evolve to a form that you aren't ready to fight yet.

Metroid 2 is cool because it's actually about metroids, it's actually about bounty hunting, and it adds a lot to the setting without a single word. No boring scan logs or bad cutscenes anywhere to be found.

I think revisiting the story after Fusion will be a bit odd though...

"Who knew that driving a species to extinction would lead to a massive ecological disaster?"

maxcriden

Nice work, OP. I'm with you. I'm replaying it now on my SGB and CRT. I'm in the fourth major area and I've defeated about 16 or 17 of the 39 Metroids. Here's what I posted earlier today in the Samus Returns thread:

It's not a terrible game. It's just kind of one-dimensional. It's retro ... it's a GB game from 1991. The music and atmosphere they created with that hardware is really something else, though.

I recommend keeping a map handy and using it when you need to. The game isn't all that complex, though. Just make sure you explore every wall and ceiling as you go and you'll be fine.

Thanks man. Saw your post in the other thread after I made the thread and was glad to see you're replaying it. That sounds like a lovely way to play it. It's really the atmosphere that most impresses me, the combo of music and art is positively eerie.

Phediuk

Metroid 2 was the worst Metroid game until Other M came out.

The tiny screen combined with the huge sprite just ruins it.

My favorite Game Boy game next to Link's Awakening. The music is sublime and I for one actually love the gameplay.

I remember the first time I beat it, it took me like 6 months. I was a kid and this game was way to freaking hard for me. Now it takes around 1.5 hours.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I bought it, but I have to say that was mostly because I sold my copy of the original Game Boy - yeah, I'm a idiot.

This game doesn't hold that well. It's just a good nostalgia trip.

Jaymageck

Metroid 2 had some great innovations for the series, introducing some of its most memorable items (space jump, spider ball) but has aged really badly.

I would definitely recommend people wait for Samus Returns.

Top Bottom