• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid fans, don't sleep on: Metroid II: Return of Samus

Metroid 2 wasn't particularly good when it came out, and it's since aged like fine milk. Just play AM2R instead. It's a lot more fun than trudging through an extremely dated GB title.

VandalD

Metroid 2 doesn't hold up at all today. When it was new and on the Gameboy, I thought it was pretty great. I played it repeatedly. But that's the only reason why I could tolerate playing it these days.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Play this a lot on my big fat Gameboy. It's a pretty well connected planet that feels like you really are moving into the bowels of, the lakes of acid decending as you kill off the planet's residents. I really don't understand the feeling of there not being enough screen real-estate, most of the level design fits pretty well into the space given. Game has some ridiculous sound design on the Gameboy, too. Like, I understand not liking Mario Land 1, but Metroid 2 is a real good experience.

Yeah, don't bother with that free thing that's available right now...

When people would rather play a free fanmade game than an official release it begins to make sense why they C&D'd the project.

Nothing wrong with enjoying both, Samus Returns looks mighty fine though and the new mechanics seem to elevate 2D Metroid.

Just having another run at this via 3DS VC....it's pretty playable. I haven't played it in a while, but I can definitely appreciate the sense of claustrophobia and dread. It definitely has some limitations...I think if it had been in color on the NES it would have aged much more gracefully.

It definitely has some improvements over the first game...some mobility stuff like more range of motion for shooting.

Definitely worth a playthrough before the remake hits, I think.

maxcriden

Just having another run at this via 3DS VC....it's pretty playable. I haven't played it in a while, but I can definitely appreciate the sense of claustrophobia and dread. It definitely has some limitations...I think if it had been in color on the NES it would have aged much more gracefully.

It definitely has some improvements over the first game...some mobility stuff like more range of motion for shooting.

Definitely worth a playthrough before the remake hits, I think.

Glad to hear the atmosphere is up your alley. Hope you dig your playthrough! As you indicated, there are some cool aspects of the 2D side of the franchise that first appear in the game.

Glad to hear the atmosphere is up your alley. Hope you dig your playthrough! As you indicated, there are some cool aspects of the 2D side of the franchise that first appear in the game.

For sure...you can see some of the ideas for greater mobility etc that were introduced here eventually carried over to Super Metroid. Samus is much more manoeuvrable and easier to control. The level of detail in the Chozo statues etc(despite it being black and white) are definitely a step up and closer to the level of detail in Super. Overall this feels like the actual bridgepoint of ideas between the first game and Super. However, Super ended up being a revolutionary leap forward.

When I was a kid, the UK would get games a lot later than N.America, sometimes even years.
My older cousins would visit their grandparents in Canada over xmas and in 1991 I gave them all my savings and asked them to buy me some Gameboy games that weren't out in the UK.
I was hoping for something like Spiderman or TMNT (I was a kid, license>quality).
They brought back TMNT2, Simpsons Escape camp death, Dr Mario and Metroid 2.
As a kid I fucking hated Dr Mario and Metroid. I didn't have a clue what you did in them. Metroid in particular was hard and confusing. I was so pissed they wasted my money on this garbage.
The game got thrown to the side for a decade until after I beat Prime 1 and Fusion. I found the cart when moving and played through the whole game on one sweaty summer afternoon and evening. Couldn't put it down, the game was so amazing. Look awesome for a GB game and progress was different from the other Metroid games. The end boss was a real epic battle too.

Now it's one of my favourite games and I can't wait until the remake! My most anticipated game!!

I don't understand why it's the lowest rated in the franchise, I played it all in one sitting like 4 years ago and loved it. I can't say the same for the NES original, that one is hopelessly archaic.

Modoru

It's a great game with an amazing atmosphere and from the looks of it the 'remake' will be a completely different game and by no means a replacement, so there is really no excuse not to play it. Just don't go in expecting Super Metroid

because the remake is by no means just small QoL updates. It's an entirely new game that pretty much just shares the overall structure, story and other superficial similarities. There's no reason not to play both

I was joking with the use of the word 'small', but that's a fair assessment
I was led to understand that it's the same game, just reskinned and with modern features and polish.

Metroid II is a really difficult game to love unless you are ok with drawing maps with pen and paper as you go. And grinding energy if you get hit too many times or, heaven forbid, die.

It's probably worth trying for $4, but then you should move on and play AM2R instead, which is simply excellent.
Those complaints apply to the original Metroid far more than its sequel.

Metroid II had actual save points. Unlike the original where you respawn with 30 energy when you die, you keep the amount of energy and missiles you had when you saved. And there are energy/missile refill points so you don't have to grind all the time.

_SAKY_

I loved this as a kid but I'm not sure it would hold up well after 20+ years. Glad I beat it though has they had a nice story tie in between this and Metroid 3.
THOSE BASTARDS STOLE BABY METROID!!!!

120v

it was one of my favorite games growing up. definitely worth a try though i can sympathize why a lot would want to pass it up in 2017

either way, bottom line is it's a great game. especially if you're able to play portably

Mark1

I'll definitely give it a shot as a Metroid fan - but don't want the remake spoiled for me. So will wait until I've completed that one first :p

Sevyne

Yes, take sales away from the game from the company that owns the IP.

Seriously? There's a reason they C&D'd it

Or play both and enjoy 2 takes on the same game.

Edit: Saying same game may have been simplifying a bit. The two are going to be very VERY different from one another. Based off of the same game would be more appropriate I guess.

beril

Did another run because of this thread.
2:05, missed one missile tank

I really don't understand people saying this game has aged badly. It controls beautifully, the graphics are a bit simplistic but they're very clean and work well (and now we get to see it on a decent screen), and the music and sound design is still amazing. The first game on the other hand is really rough by comparison (but also still worth playing for many reasons and by no means replaced by Zero Mission).

maxcriden

I was joking with the use of the word 'small', but that's a fair assessment
I was led to understand that it's the same game, just reskinned and with modern features and polish.
Hmm, I was under the impression the map was significantly expanded. Is that not the case?

Atrarock

I just recently replayed it yesterday and finished it within 2 hrs and 24 minutes. Got every energy tank (only 5) and 200 missiles. Wasn't too difficult or easy and I practiced with the controls for a good bit before I had my own little flow going.

I did get a bit overwhelmed by the Queen a bit and heal up before I actually won the 2nd time I backtracked around the area. It's a decent experience, not a terrible one. But everything else after it is definitely better.

I doubt I need to say anything about am2r, besides invincibility frames, but I just did my best to get better at dodging. Morph ball speed being faster than normal running helps on quickly avoiding certain enemies (which Samus actually does in some cut scenes in the prime games).

Anyway, needless to say, bring on Metroid : Samus Returns. I've preordered the 2 amiibo, an nfc reader (since I'm using an og 3ds, due to it having my capture card), and the game itself. I...am hyped.

ZenTzen

I'd rather nintendo stop with their bullshit, like having Metroid fusion on the 3ds still be a part of their ambassador program bull or having super Metroid be a new 3ds exclusive

Why do i have to be penalized for not getting a 3ds when it was the hot new thing or being forced to buy a new iteration of the console, or even having to buy a wiiU for fusion since its available there, why isnt this shit available for everyone, i want to pay for these games but i cant because of nintendo bullshit

Bronion

It's probably my favorite Metroid game after Super. After spending hours shooting walls looking for hidden paths in Metroid, the more linear design was a welcome change. Also, fighting the Metroids was fun every time for me.
And Metroid Queen >>>> the original Mother Brain.
It has the best cover art, too.

BriGuy

Metroid 2 is like playing a fever dream. It's such an odd, disjointed experience. There were points where I thought I was exploiting some sort of glitch only to find out that no, that was the intended path or action I was supposed to take. I can't recommend it.

Talyn

I bought it on VC for the 3DS ages ago and for the life of me I still cannot understand why they didn't include Super Game Boy color palette support for GB/C games. I ended up mostly playing it via emulator just for the color palette support because it looks terrible in monochrome.

Edit: Looking at it again on my 3DS I see they also added some kind of antialiasing filter that makes it darker and blurry as well. It looks so much cleaner running on an emulator like GameYob although the view is still constrained as hell. So glad they're finally remaking it and I hope it turns out well as I already have it preordered, which is something I never do but I love me some Metroid.

orborborb

eventually people will realize:

Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Zero Mission are all very good remakes

Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime 2 & 3, and even Hunters and Federation Force are quality side story type games

but the original NES Metroid and its only true successor Metroid II are the real masterpieces of the genre, and neither the other Metroids nor the "igavanias" nor any of the indie metroidvanias are in the same league.

Kthulhu

I bought it and tried it. I personally think this game has aged like crap. It's part of the reason I'm so excited Samus Returns.

I bought it also for 3DS a while ago, couldn't get into it. I needed a map when the directions all looked the same. It wouldn't be too hard to make my own, but meh, that's a lot of effort when I'm older and gotta work and do stuff.

The remake looks dope.

maxcriden

Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Zero Mission are all very good remakes

Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime 2 & 3, and even Hunters and Federation Force are quality side story type games

but the original NES Metroid and its only true successor Metroid II are the real masterpieces of the genre, and neither the other Metroids nor the "igavanias" nor any of the indie metroidvanias are in the same league.

I like the cut of your jib but I think Metroid Prime at the least, despite my ambivalence about it personally, goes far beyond a remake.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Lol. Yeah super and metroid are remakes.

Top Bottom