• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Fusion, a guided take on the Metroid formula.

entremet

I recently beat Metroid Zero Mission via the Wii U VC--kinda wish this was on the N3DS as Super NES games are on their, but whatcha gonna do, it's Nintendo.

I was really impressed what they managed to do with the remake. I've always loved the original NES Metroid, but it's not that great to replay. No in game map, dated controls, terrible password system. Zero Mission modernized Metroid and also added a lot of fun things for advanced players, such a hard mode and cool intentional sequence breaking.

Being on a Metroid kick, partly inspired by the Return to Samus remake announcement, I bought Metroid Fusion. I missed most of the GBA catalog, as I was in college at the time and gaming wasn't a huge focus for me.

The first thing I noticed is that Metroid Fusion, which came out before Zero Mission, was way more guided than the other 2-D Metroid games I played. You're on a space station, not an isolated planet, so the confines are smaller and tighter. But you're receiving mission objectives from a fictionalized AI. Samus also self narrates portions, all in text. Very different for Metroid.

The setting should not be a limitation, as Alien Isolation showed you can have a sense of horror and in smaller confines. Fusion does this with the main antagonist, SA-X. Even given the hardware limitations of the GBA, her appearances are well done., and do provide that needed sense of dread, no pun intended.

Where Fusion does shine is in the action. The controls are very tight and the bosses, while not Souls level challenge, do provide some challenge compared to Super and Zero Mission.

All and all, the design choices of having more narrative and more guidance for the player did feel out of place for the series. It doesn't hinder the game too much. The new setting and conceit was refreshing. We've had at least 5 games that did the isolated planet formula, so I didn't mind the change.

Metroidvania fans should definitely pick this up.

What were your thoughts on this game?

First Metroid I ever played and it still holds some good value to me. It also has some of the best sound design of the 2D Metroids, that sound whenever a Super Missile hits an enemy is so satisfying, footsteps of the SA-X whenever it's in the same area too, that was a great way of instilling fear, and how the Screw Attack sounds like it can actually hurt rather than a buzzing noise like in Zero Mission

Fireblend

Banned
It's my favorite Metroid game, but I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion. SA-X is an all time classic antagonist, IMO.

13ruce

Banned
I prefer Zero Mission but honestly rhe awesome part how i bothgot into Metroid and Castlevania. One best friend at primary school back then gave me Zero Mission and another Friend gave me Castlevania circle of the moon it's awesome how i got into those games so that's why i put those so high.

But yeah Metroid Fusion is awesome loved SA-X i played it for the first time 2 years ago and as a 20 year old i still had some nerfy feelings with th e SA-X parts it's done so well. And it was cool to see samus the bounty hunter being hunted herself.

Can't wait for Samus Returns now i really really really love 2D metroid games.

I had played Zero Mission and Fusion when I was younger, and I really loved them both.

While I think Zero Mission is the better game overall, I'll never forget SA-X as the scary invincible thing out to kill me. That music when you get spotted scared the crap out of me. And the usual futile efforts to run away only cemented the fact that SA-X was to be feared. It is still the only time I've ever been scared in a Nintendo game, but I think I'll remember it forever. lol

Stopdoor

Yeah, I've never really minded the bit of extra guidance in Fusion, because it still has some tricky puzzles and progression, and it feels like things are always going off the rails because of the SA-X. It's different but in a good way.

It's easy to see now, retroactively, the extra dialogue and background from Samus and the AI is a precursor to what they were trying to do with Other M. We were "saved" by technical limitations in a way.

I just finished this two days ago. Only played once before that in 2010. Fuck that spider though. Didn't take me as long this time but fuck it

entremet

Yeah, I've never really minded the bit of extra guidance in Fusion, because it still has some tricky puzzles and progression, and it feels like things are always going off the rails because of the SA-X. It's different but in a good way.

It's easy to see now, retroactively, the extra dialogue and background from Samus and the AI is a precursor to what they were trying to do with Other M. We were "saved" by technical limitations in a way.

I still need to play Metroid 2 (GB), Prime 2, and the Team Ninja game lol.

It's not my favorite Metroid game by a stretch but I also enjoyed the change of pace (I like Hunters for the same reason). It coming out at the same time as Prime, which had the isolated planet feel, helped. SA-X hunting you was the best aspect and something I would like to see more (not just in Metroid). So another way of putting it is not something I would mind if we had more Metroid games coming out but if we have to wait 7 or 8 years between games I would prefer a more traditional Metroid unless we get more than 1.

Rncewind

For me it was the metroid that done the story focus guidelined approach right, not like other m which just butchered stuff

The first thing I noticed is that Metroid Fusion, which came out before Zero Mission, was way more guided than the other 2-D Metroid games I played. You’re on a space station, not an isolated planet, so the confines are smaller and tighter. But you’re receiving mission objectives from a fictionalized AI. Samus also self narrates portions, all in text. Very different for Metroid.

The setting should not be a limitation, as Alien Isolation showed you can have a sense of horror and in smaller confines. Fusion does this with the main antagonist, SA-X. Even given the hardware limitations of the GBA, her appearances are well done., and do provide that needed sense of dread, no pun intended.

Where Fusion does shine is in the action. The controls are very tight and the bosses, while not Souls level challenge, do provide some challenge compared to Super and Zero Mission.

All and all, the design choices of having more narrative and more guidance for the player did feel out of place for the series. It doesn’t hinder the game too much. The new setting and conceit was refreshing. We’ve had at least 5 games that did the isolated planet formula, so I didn’t mind the change.

Upon first minutes of playing Fusion the highlighted is what i felt and to a lesser extent with Prime. Exposition through cinemtatics instead of a more organic way through gameplay feel out of place for the series. Prime is hurt more due to it's amateurish cinematic direction, altough it did feature a very clever solution to fleshing out is world: The Scan Visor, salute Retro for the smart inclusion. Other M has well designed and high production value cutscenes but are wasted in a by the numbers anime plot.

In Metroid Prime case is more about the 3rd person scenes, while in Fusion is about wanting to characterize Samus more, as 3rd person cinematic made more sense obviously in that game.

While i don't like the direction Fusion took the series into i do appreciate having something different and i do recognise it as a high quality game. However, i find it ironic when people criticize Other M for aspects that were introduced in Fusion. *Disclaimer: Other M quality is not near Fusion, specially in level design which is a very important part of Metroid games.

The thing is Fusion is actually the master of exposition through organic gameplay as well, with the SA-X, the Metroid Lab, the final bosses, the reactor meltdown and blackout, Ridley's frozen state, and so on. So I'm not really sure I want to fault it for throwing in some dialogues as well.
i did recognize that, however i might have confused the message because im talking about 2 or 3 Metroid games at the same time. The exposition issue was more directed to Prime, specially since it had a well implemented way to handle exposition through gameplay.

Personally i knew the characterization in Fusion will bring up a problem to a series that mostly avoided to do it in past games. But in the case of Fusion my main reservations are in regards to the more tunnel like progression, hand holding and less sequence brakes than in Super.

Its acutally very simple, other m had a terrible exuction of this ideas while fusion, especially for its time and plattform, made a much better deal of it
This makes sense.

However, is raher sad that gamers often don't recognize the advancements made by Other M instead fixating on only what it did wrong. Fusion doesn't suffere that threatment taught.

Stopdoor

Upon first minutes of playing Fusion the highlighted is what i felt and to a lesser extent with Prime. Exposition through cinemtatics instead of in more organic way through gameplay feel out of place for the series. Prime is hurt more due to it's amateurish cinematic direction, altough it did feature a very clever solution to fleshing out is world: The Scan Visor, salute Retro for the smart inclusion. Other M has well designed and high production value cinematics wasted in a by the numbers anime plot.

While i don't like the direction Fusion took the series into i do appreciate having something different and i do recognise it as a high quality game. However, i find it ironic when people criticize Other M for aspects that were introduced in Fusion. *Disclaimer: Other M quality is not near Fusion, specially in level design which is a very important part of Metroid games.

The thing is Fusion is actually the master of exposition through organic gameplay as well, with the SA-X, the Metroid Lab, the final bosses, the reactor meltdown and blackout, Ridley's frozen state, and so on. So I'm not really sure I want to fault it for throwing in some dialogues as well. It's well-rounded.

Rncewind

Upon first minutes of playing Fusion the highlighted is what i felt and to a lesser extent with Prime. Exposition through cinemtatics instead of a more organic way through gameplay feel out of place for the series. Prime is hurt more due to it's amateurish cinematic direction, altough it did feature a very clever solution to fleshing out is world: The Scan Visor, salute Retro for the smart inclusion. Other M has well designed and high production value cutscenes but are wasted in a by the numbers anime plot.

Its acutally very simple, other m had a terrible exuction of this ideas while fusion, especially for its time and plattform, made a much better deal of it

Kurt

Metroid fusion. Its the worst decent 2d metroid. Super metroid is where they should start from

I was frustrated about the guiding in fusion as hell. It makes it more linear

Sterok

Best Metroid game. Sublime controls, hectic action, eerie atmosphere, tricky collectibles, a decent story told through cutscenes and the environment, it's a wonderful game in every aspect. Sure it's more guided than Super, but that's not a bad thing when the level design is as strong as it is here.

fireflame

Very good game, the only flaw being that some parts of the map are locked during scripted events. The timing of the wall jump is also a bit too strict.

entremet

Best Metroid game. Sublime controls, hectic action, eerie atmosphere, tricky collectibles, a decent story told through cutscenes and the environment, it's a wonderful game in every aspect. Sure it's more guided than Super, but that's not a bad thing when the level design is as strong as it is here.

I didn't mind the guidance since the puzzles were rather strong. Lots of hidden areas that would normally make you think dead end, then you figure it out.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I recently beat Metroid Zero Mission via the Wii U VC--kinda wish this was on the N3DS as Super NES games are on their, but whatcha gonna do, it's Nintendo.

I was really impressed what they managed to do with the remake. I've always loved the original NES Metroid, but it's not that great to replay. No in game map, dated controls, terrible password system. Zero Mission modernized Metroid and also added a lot of fun things for advanced players, such a hard mode and cool intentional sequence breaking.

Being on a Metroid kick, partly inspired by the Return to Samus remake announcement, I bought Metroid Fusion. I missed most of the GBA catalog, as I was in college at the time and gaming wasn't a huge focus for me.

The first thing I noticed is that Metroid Fusion, which came out before Zero Mission, was way more guided than the other 2-D Metroid games I played. You’re on a space station, not an isolated planet, so the confines are smaller and tighter. But you’re receiving mission objectives from a fictionalized AI. Samus also self narrates portions, all in text. Very different for Metroid.

All and all, the design choices of having more narrative and more guidance for the player did feel out of place for the series. It doesn’t hinder the game too much. The new setting and conceit was refreshing. We’ve had at least 5 games that did the isolated planet formula, so I didn’t mind the change.

Metroidvania fans should definitely pick this up.

the original metroid is better imo
you just lack the original experience of making a map on pen and paper.
running head first into a brick wall.
it's the same as darksouls.

zero mission super and fusion are all great games.
but damn. the og metroid (with fds added soundtrack) is amazing,

timeless classic and an absolute masterpiece on the nes no game played like it ,.

entremet

the original metroid is better imo
you just lack the original experience of making a map on pen and paper.
running head first into a brick wall.
it's the same as darksouls.

zero mission super and fusion are all great games.
but damn. the og metroid (with fds added soundtrack) is amazing,

timeless classic and an absolute masterpiece on the nes no game played like it ,.

Drawing maps never interested me as a kid. Funny thing, I love the Etrian Odyssey Series for that, though.

I do like Metroid NES a lot, I just thought that Zero Mission was more accessible while still retaining that sense of isolation--Chozo guidance statues notwithstanding.

Spukc

Drawing maps never interested me as a kid. Funny thing, I love the Etrian Odyssey Series for that, though.

I do like Metroid NES a lot, I just thought that Zero Mission was more accessible while still retaining that sense of isolation--Chozo guidance statues notwithstanding.
absolutely for new players. but i think the reward of beating the og metroid just feels better

Jobbs

Banned
Despite breaking a lot of Metroid rules and the terrible monologues and the annoying AI thing that tells you stuff, I found this to be one of the better Metroid games due to its very distinct style and theme and some of its better ideas.

Where Zero Mission is just a lifeless, bland, uninteresting genre exercise Metroid Fusion really has some fire in the belly. I think I'm due for another play. Wish it was on Switch (I don't have a GBA or a Wii U anymore)

I purchased both Fusion and Prime and the same time because of all the gushingly positive reviews. Fusion was the first one I played through and I was so hooked that I used to bring the game to my classes and play under my desk. Needless to say, it makes going back to the older ones a bit harder, so I actually haven't even played through super Metroid yet. I will eventually though. I believe Metroid Fusion is a great game, although it is a bit on the easy side, it is still very much worth playing through.

Rambler

Despite breaking a lot of Metroid rules and the terrible monologues and the annoying AI thing that tells you stuff, I found this to be one of the better Metroid games due to its very distinct style and theme and some of its better ideas.

Where Zero Mission is just a lifeless, bland, uninteresting genre exercise Metroid Fusion really has some fire in the belly. I think I'm due for another play. Wish it was on Switch (I don't have a GBA or a Wii U anymore)
For all of it's flaws at least Fusion tries new shit. New main enemy, new setting, new suit, new artstyle.

Fusion was also the last Metroid game that wasn't afraid to be weird.

kc44135

Yeah, I agree on Fusion (not so much on Zero Mission...). Being different or more linear isn't always a bad thing. Fusion benefits from it's linearity with superb pacing, and also has perhaps the best story in a Metroid game. I loved it, and like you, no longer have a GBA or Wii U. I'd love having it on Switch. I wonder what the odds are that Switch even gets GBA VC?

After replaying them side by side, I will say I think Fusion controls are better by a slight margin.

Zero Mission is the overall better game though. I did find it easier than Fusion due to the lack of bosses, like 5 compared to Fusion 14.

It has really good elements. Everything about SA-X is incredibly well realised.

If they got rid of the idea of "adam" entirely (make it the actual computer or a fellow bounty hunter or something), cut out about 80% of the dialogue (some of it *is* necessary to ramp up tension) and made it a bit less linear it'd be amazing.

Spukc

Fusion > Super > Zero Mission

IMO the guided approach is so much better

i think all modern 2d metroid games are about the same in quality each one having something the other lack.

besides og metroid that game is kinda scary for newcomers

I can't say I want them to return to the guided approach of Fusion but the game is great for what it is. It's a far more action focused game than Super Metroid or Zero Mission but it's just as good in a lot of ways. Not my favourite Metroid but far from the worst.

entremet

Yeah, I agree on Fusion (not so much on Zero Mission...). Being different or more linear isn't always a bad thing. Fusion benefits from it's linearity with superb pacing, and also has perhaps the best story in a Metroid game. I loved it, and like you, no longer have a GBA or Wii U. I'd love having it on Switch. I wonder what the odds are that Switch even gets GBA VC?

Unless Nintendo is just totally dumb, no reason why Switch should not support every Nintendo console up until the Wii via VC.

LeleSocho

Banned
Fusion is so freaking great, absolutely love it.
It wasn't even that guided like someone says because between you and the target there always was an unexpected event that made you change routes.
Controls are perfect and should be what a 2d Metroid should always control from now on, suit looks fantastic (aside the Varia one... ugh), it gives a new meaning to the title of the franchise, the self narrated parts were awesome and last but not least SA-X was scary as heck.

The storytelling and personal narrative are bad. I think this was my second Metroid game after Metroid 2 and, what can you say, it's just not fun being frequently interrupted to listen to some shoddy dialogue.

I know that I didn't enjoy my first playthrough of the game much at all. Besides the storytelling issues I probably also wasn't that fond of that X-Virus as the enemy, aside from the admittedly fearsome Samus-X.

Dunno, Metroid Zero Mission, which I got afterward, just gelled with me much better.

yyr

Hated it.

I wouldn't even compare it to the other Metroid games. No exploration = not a Metroid game. IMHO.

On top of that, I wasn't all that interested in the narrative.

I'll never forget when this came out at the same time as Prime 1. I expected to hate Prime and love Fusion. The opposite happened: I consider Fusion to not even be a Metroid game, and I consider Prime 1 one of the best ever made.

Clarification: I don't think Fusion is a bad game. I just don't consider it to be a Metroid game. The exploration aspect is an integral part of literally every other game in the series, whereas Fusion just has you moving in a straight line, holding your hand at every step.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's my favorite Metroid next to Prime - which might sound crazy but I loved the horror vibe it had.

Hale-XF11

Would easily be my favorite Metroid game ever if it wasn't for all the hand holding. Otherwise, it's a fantastic game, right behind Metroid Prime and Super Metroid.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Fusion is mostly very good, but it has some weaker elements. I'd say it's on the weaker end of the series, but it's still an enjoyable game.

The absolute best part of the game is the sense of fear and paranoia you get from the SA-X. On a blind run, there's so much amazing atmospheric build-up to the game that it practically turns into a horror game. This is further bolstered by additional twists like the security robot becoming another thing that hunts you down, seeing Ridley's corpse, Nightmare flying around in the foreground, areas getting destroyed, the power outage, the meltdown, and most importantly the moment where you realize "it's been 15 minutes. The SA-X isn't leaving. I have to run for it." These beats all show how effective a guided story can be for Metroid because they seriously add a lot to the experience.

The other side of the coin, these story beats make the game almost excessively linear at some points, giving you little room or reason to try exploring. Along with this, after replaying it recently the game does an awful job of making Adam likable. The bit where he "redeems" himself is just abrupt and doesn't feel earned nor consistent with how he is the entire game. Dude helps drive the story but he's hardly a character until Samus literally calls him Adam and suddenly he's entirely different, he goes from cold with a bit of hostility to your only ally in seconds.

As an aside, man they did a horrible job of fitting this game into the timeline when they made Other M. The story is retroactively made completely terrible when you take into account Other M being Fusion's prequel. Not only does it make Samus look like a goddamn idiot (replace the X parasites with an assassin, and there you go. You've changed Fusion into Other M, they literally have the same twist of the government cloning Metroids, why does Samus trust them in Fusion???), it makes Adam even more unlikable and unbelievable in Fusion because of how godawful he is in Other M. Ah, you're indebted to this computer because he was a huge asshole and then there's that entire moronic sacrifice sequence. But I digress, I don't wanna get too into shitting on Other M here, just a sidenote on how Fusion makes no sense when you consider Other M's occurring before it.

Fusion is definitely an interesting experiment, at least. If they insist on adding a story to Metroid, I think it's a good first attempt. Just give us a bit more freedom and I think it could be great, even if that freedom is as simple as having some alternate ways to get to your destinations. And if we're gonna have characters, please make them way better than Adam was.

HvySky

Fusion succeeded where Other M failed. It might not be a "traditional" Metroid game but it's still one of my favorites and will always hold a special place in my heart. Narrative-focused Metroid done right.

I think it serves as a great counterpart to the Super/Zero style of 2D Metroid due to its objective based structure.
It loses the wider exploration aspect but gains in focus, combat (bosses here basically stomp any other 2D Metroid) and oddly story as well which is just the right amount.

It also lends itself well to handheld play as a result.

The only Metroid I really ever played and I beat it and I loved every bit of it. The gameplay was spot on and I loved that they want for horror aspects of it all as well.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Looking back, it was the start of the downfall of the series because it was a guided take on the Metroid formula. It's a mediocre side scrolling action game with a poor story that shoves itself into attention too often.

I remember being optimistic about Metroid Prime but still in shock of how much I liked it and how much I hated Fusion.

Top Bottom