• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Fusion is awesome.... and is wrecking my shit

Realeza

Banned
Since I'm on a Metroid kick thanks to Samus Returns, I'm going through a few games before September 15th. I've never played Fusion, so I decided to give it a go. I've been seriously impressed by what Nintendo managed to pull-off on the GBA. This game looks, sounds and plays amazingly good.

I know some people have an issue with the "hand-holding", but considering it's a portable game, I see no problem. This led me to believe the game was going to be easy as fuck, but boy, even if the exploration isn't as complex as other games, other aspects are pretty challenging.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who got destroyed by this bastard:

boss_spider.gif

He's been wrecking my shit for the past hour. Is not only this boss, as I've died considerably more times than any other Metroid. Am I just terrible at 2D Metroids, or this game is actually pretty challenging?

Anyway, fantastic game. I think I'm halfway through, so once I'm done with it I think I'll replay Zero mission.

What are your thoughts on Fusion, GAF?

Toa TAK

Banned
I wanna say Fusion is the easiest of the 2D Metroid games.

But that boss beat my ass to a pulp when I first played the game. I feel your pain, OP.

You're also bringing back some dark Elementary School memories with that shit.

aett

The part after Yakuza (the spider) and until you
reactivate the power
is probably the most difficult part of the game for me. Nightmare is a cinch once you realize you use
beams to destroy the gravity engine and then spam missles at his face.

Maridia

Knew exactly what part you were going to be posting about. That said, it's generally a bit more of a challenge than Super or Zero Mission.

Kent

I know some people have an issue with the "hand-holding", but considering it's a portable game, I see no problem.

What does it being a portable game have to do with whether or not "hand-holding" being a problem?

Noogy

Fusion is easily my favorite Metroid. I loved the difficulty, felt just right. Some of those bosses are pretty vicious.

It's strange with this boss, OP. I've played the gam a gazillion times and sometimes I just finish him off relatively quickly, but other times I have to try numerous times.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, can't wait until you get further in the game!

I found all the 2D Metroids pretty hard, playing them all for the first time last year. If I didn't have the ability to savescum through the Virtual Console I don't think I would have got through them. But then I played AM2R last week and managed to finish it legit, and now I kind of want to go back to the other ones and play them again.

Anura

I played this game so much that can beat it in just over in hour without even coming close to dying. However, I was getting my butt kicked when I first got the game.

Generally speaking for the core spider you want to roll into a morph ball and get as close to the fire as possible (after firing missiles into his mouth obviously). Often times he won't hit you but there are times when he still can but you can avoid that if you recognize he's come towards you. During his second stage you can loop him by timing things right but failing that if you're struggling to hit him don't be afraid of using a charge shot once in awhile as the wide beam is more lenient than missiles. Also be sure to find a save point after beating him.

Realeza

Banned
What does it being a portable game have to do with whether or not "hand-holding" being a problem?

Is not really hand-holding. Giving you a clear objective reduces the unnecessary backtracking that would be very tiresome as a portable experience.

The best 2D Metroid. And yes, the Spider is an asshole. He's the cheapest boss in the game, but not quite the hardest...

I wanna say Fusion is the easiest of the 2D Metroid games.

But that boss beat my ass to a pulp when I first played the game. I feel your pain, OP.

You're also bringing back some dark Elementary School memories with that shit.

Zero Mission and Super are much easier than Fusion.

Oh yeah, *that* part. I had a feeling when clicking on this topic it was going to be the power outage/spider boss part. That's when shit got real. Took me at the very least a few tries to beat it. Man, that was a great game on probably my favorite game system ever. Gonna have to replay it soon.

Demigod Mac

First time you play it is quite an experience... When you don't know if the SA-X will be in the next room or not. Never been so frightened of a game, and a portable one at that.

Loved that game so much. I'd love to have a Switch version to replay it.

And yes OP, whenever I think about Fusion I have PTSD flashbacks of the spider boss.

Kurt

worst of the good sidescrolling metroid games. Lets say it's better then other m if that game counts.

- But the game is made in rooms connected to one main room.
- It doesnt feel immersive at all. The art is also too factory minded. Prefer to have more alien style of worlds.
- I'm not sure, but you can't go up by dropping bombs like in every other sidescrolling metroid.
- Also capturing healt & rockets is also less....
- Forced dialogs that points out where you have to go
- I don't feel the issolation. (i hate the hunter things in a metroid game)

Yet still a good game, but as i already said, worst of the 2d metroids

Toxi

Banned
You can mash left and right on the D-pad to escape the spider's death grip early. Best defense though is to not get hit at all. Using the Morph Ball helps a lot when dodging.

Fusion is definitely my favorite 2D Metroid. It's an excellent game. I found it harder than Zero Mission for sure, but not sure about Super. I haven't played it recently enough to compare the two.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Fusion was the very first Metroid game I played and the first GBA game I bought. It was amazing I was hooked. Played Zero Mission soon after and finally Super Metroid a few years later. Amazing series. Ive always been a fan of the 2D Metroids.

Probably my favorite Metroid game. And yes, I think it's a bit harder than Super Metroid and much harder than Zero Mission.

I have a number of problems with the way Fusion is structured—many of the things people would complain about in Other M were already here, and in the late-game clean-up phase I gravely disliked how the point of no return was placed and signalled—but it's full of virtues to call its own, among them the quality and variety of the boss encounters (plus the tools in your move set to deal with them), the best in the 2D series if not the series as a whole. It was one of the respects in which 2D Metroid was visibly still evolving in design in an era when side-scroller design in general was moribund and criminally neglected.

It's the weakest 2D Metroid, but yes some of those boss battles are pretty intense.

Man, I can't believe people are saying the weakest. It was my first and only Metroid game and it sticks out in my mind as a fantastic game.

I really gotta try the new Metroid coming to 3DS then...

There are rough spots in Fusion but overall it's not too challenging. Probably more challenging than Super and Zero Mission though.

Easily the best Metroid and one of my favorite games of all time. It's a shame we haven't gotten a Metroid like it since Zero Mission.

marmoka

Banned
The game is very challenging. And the bosses pretty difficult the first time. Once you know how to beat them, second and third runs become easier.

Despite of the difficult bosses, is game is very enjoyable. Actually is my third favorite Metroid game, after Super and Prime.

DrDerekDrs

Neo Member
I'm very much in the minority on this, I know, but this is my least favourite 2D Metroid game for two reasons:

1) The lack of exploration in it. It constantly shuts off paths and stops you backtracking to find powerups you might have missed.
2) The lack of atmosphere. I just feel that by moving it from a spooky planet where anything weird could happen to a set of artificial biomes on a space station robs it of the haunting sense of mystery that all the other Metroids have.

I mean the actual second-to-second gameplay of it is great, but give me Zero Mission over this any day.

cireza

I'm very much in the minority on this, I know, but this is my least favourite 2D Metroid game for two reasons:

1) The lack of exploration in it. It constantly shuts off paths and stops you backtracking to find powerups you might have missed.
2) The lack of atmosphere. I just feel that by moving it from a spooky planet where anything weird could happen to a set of artificial biomes on a space station robs it of the haunting sense of mystery that all the other Metroids have.

I mean the actual second-to-second gameplay of it is great, but give me Zero Mission over this any day.
I disagree with both points. Here is what I think :

Exploration is still there, even if you are restricted (at first) in the regions you can explore, they eventually become connected. And the connections are actually pretty amazing.

The game makes you feel like you are going to be restricted, and you pretty much set your mind and accept it. And then this feeling is blown away as unexpected places become available, and areas get connected by paths you never guessed would be there.

I also love the atmosphere. It is different from exploring an unknown planet, but it is still very well done. You are on a ship where strange things are happening. This is a bit reminiscent of Alien or stuff like that. And this game is also one that added the most to the Metroid universe, introducing a ton of new environments, enemies, and even Samus is very different.

Orpheum

Still my favorite GBA game to date. I remember i got stuck early in sector 2 as a kid because i was too dumb to use a bomb in a certain room just before the boss. after i cleared that, the only Boss who gave me some trouble was
Ridley
because i relied on missles...which is definitely not the way to go there

Porcile

I know there are some in Super Metroid but when I play Fusion I feel like every fucking 10 minutes I'm forced to shoot around or bomb every wall to find that one hidden path I need to progress. It's so arbitrary and annoying, and I just think that it has some extremely poor level design. I really don't have much love for Fusion. For the record I played through it twice, once when it came out on GBA and again on Wii U.

I can't remember him, so I guess it was not a real issue. The one that truly wrecked me and will remain forever in my memory is:

1500403-nightmare02.png

Top Bottom