• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid is the most replayable franchise of all time.

Odoul

I've played every single iteration up to Prime 1 at least 5 times. And for Super Metroid I'm sure it's more than 20.

All the games have a spot of about 30 minutes at the beginning where things go slow. But after that it's like a roller coaster, it just doesn't stop.

And it has the undisputed best bosses in videogames.

PS. I bought Wind Waker, Prime 2 and Twilight Princess recently. Went through WW and it looked like it was made in 2003, but I just started MP2 last night. Even on an HD set over composite it looks extremely badass. I can't wait for a Metroid that looks like the CG.

Peru

I was down wid it until you said WW looked like it was made in 2003. The visuals of that game are timeless. It's the prettiest game ever.

KTallguy

Banned
I found Metroid Prime 2 boring after the first 30 minutes. Metroid Prime 1 was more fun to me. I don't like the whole "Shadow Samus" copout stuff.

Strangely enough, I found the GBA Metroid pretty entertaining, although it had the same "Shadow Samus" thing going. But I never had the urge to play it again.

By far the best Metroid game is the SNES Super Metroid. That game was pretty much perfect.

TreIII

Still waiting on Metroid Dread, the proper 2D sequel to the series...

neogaf1.gif
:lol :lol

Red Scarlet

Odoul said:
I've played every single iteration up to Prime 1 at least 5 times. And for Super Metroid I'm sure it's more than 20.

All the games have a spot of about 30 minutes at the beginning where things go slow. But after that it's like a roller coaster, it just doesn't stop.

And it has the undisputed best bosses in videogames.

PS. I bought Wind Waker, Prime 2 and Twilight Princess recently. Went through WW and it looked like it was made in 2003, but I just started MP2 last night. Even on an HD set over composite it looks extremely badass. I can't wait for a Metroid that looks like the CG.

Try doing stuff out of order or speedrunning; 30 minutes may be most of/all of the game and it adds a whole lot of replayability.

agent069

Banned
That's what happen when you mix fast gameplay, great controls, excellent level design, a little bit of challenge, and no shitty cinematics. What's even worst are ingame cinematics ala Half Life or Call of Duty, you just want to replay the level, but no you're locked for a few minutes by a shitty dialog/script.

Anyway, I've played MP1 about 5 or 6 times, and I've played MP2 more than 5 time too, can't wait for MP3.

Megaman games are pretty awesome as far as replay value is concern, the only problem is that they keep releasing game years after years, you don't even have time to want to play your game, that you have a sequel in your face.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Megaman for me! the 2d sidescrolling ones of course, I can replay them over and over and over and over and still have fun.

Tiktaalik

I'm really hoping you're excepting Prime, which was mostly a boring fetch quest.

Starcraft, while not (yet) a franchise, is the most replayable game of all time.

Odoul

True. Megaman is the shit.

I can pick up one of the collections and just lose myself for an hour.

It just feels like the series hit it's peak with X4.

beelzebozo said:
the metroid love on this board the past two days warms this old timer's heart

Metroid got me into games. My dad used to hold me in his lap and play Metroid 1 when I was a baby. The intro, the little jingle when Samus first materializes and the first level music were my lullabies so many nights it's crazy.

Mar

Metroid is the most replayable franchise of all time.

Well.. That's your opinion and you're quite welcome to express it. My opinion however differs.

Super Metroid is one of the greatest games of all time. Sure. But the Metroid Prime games, in my opinion, are boring. Metroid 1 on the NES was pretty damn cool. But I only finished it the once. Same with the GB sequel. Fusion was ok, but the bosses were laughable. Hunters was a great game, but the bosses were embarrassing and a joke.

I still hold hope for a true Metroid sequel. 2.5D side scroller would be sex in a cartridge.

What is the most replayable franchise? Quake maybe? DOOM? Not sure really. In fact besides multiplayer factors, I don't really go back to a game that I finish.

Wait wait. I've got it. Mario Kart. That's easily the most replayable series of games I've ever played. That's not including multiplayer either.

Red Scarlet

cartman414 said:
Only beginning with Super Metroid, really.

Metroid 1 can be quite replayable with the various ways and items you can go through with or skip. It's less than 30 minutes for a both boss playthrough, less than an hour for a '100%', so it isn't much of a crutch to replay a couple times or try to go with less items or more and get better and just have fun.

jman2050

Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, and Sonic 3 and Knuckles are more replayable than the entirety of the Metroid series (though Super Metroid makes it close).

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (and for that matter, most open-ended strategy games in the same vein) are much more replayable I think.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i love the authentic metroid games, but i've never seen the appeal of speedrunning adventure games. i guess the replays are cool to watch, but it isn't something that i'd want to undertake. so there are a whole lot of games i find more replayable. for me the metroid games are something to reëxperience every several years, not something to replay obsessively.

Chairman Yang said:
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (and for that matter, most open-ended strategy games in the same vein) are much more replayable I think.

That doesn't count. You can spend over 30 hours playing one skirmish in Alpha Centauri.

ccharla

I defy anyone to sit down with a real copy of Super Metroid, and a real SNES and not have an amazing time. As far as I'm concerned, if you're at all a real gamer, it can't be done. I know everyone's top 10s are filled with Final Fantasies and Zeldas, but Super Metroid is gaming perfection on so many levels it makes my mind boggle. To me, it is the ultimate 16-bit game (even though I was a Genesis fanboy).

Error

Odoul said:
True. Megaman is the shit.

I can pick up one of the collections and just lose myself for an hour.

It just feels like the series hit it's peak with X4.
the X series yeah but Megaman Zero has as much if not more replay value than the X series imo, all because of it's very addictive ranking system. gotta love doing 100pts run on those stages!

Metroid also rox for replayability but... I dont have the good memory some people do so I suck at speedrunning in Metroid ;_;

Mar

ccharla said:
but Super Metroid is gaming perfection on so many levels it makes my mind boggle. To me, it is the ultimate 16-bit game (even though I was a Genesis fanboy).

I'd find it very hard to argue with you there. And I too was a Mega Drive fanboy at the time.

tnw

Banned
drohne said:
i love the authentic metroid games, but i've never seen the appeal of speedrunning adventure games. i guess the replays are cool to watch, but it isn't something that i'd want to undertake. so there are a whole lot of games i find more replayable. for me the metroid games are something to reëxperience every several years, not something to replay obsessively.

100% speed running Super metroid is one of the most satisfying thing to do when you have an idle hour or two. Speed running makes it sound full of stress trying to beat the clock or something, but it isn't. You already know where everything is, all the tricks to do, it's just fun to do again.

and again.

Red Scarlet said:
Metroid 1 can be quite replayable with the various ways and items you can go through with or skip. It's less than 30 minutes for a both boss playthrough, less than an hour for a '100%', so it isn't much of a crutch to replay a couple times or try to go with less items or more and get better and just have fun.

My problem with Metroid 1 was that it was lacking in content and polish, so all of that is IMO for naught.

Now Metroid: Zero Mission is a different story.

agent069

Banned
Martoo said:
I'd find it very hard to argue with you there. And I too was a Mega Drive fanboy at the time.

SM is no perfection, the last checkpoint prevents you from going bak to hunt all the missile and health reserve :(

TreIII

Error2k4 said:
Metroid also rox for replayability but... I dont have the good memory some people do so I suck at speedrunning in Metroid ;_;

To me, it's a lot of the same things...in the end, both Rockman Zero and Metroid require you to have distinctive memorization skills in order to be most proficient you can be. So, whether it's trying to find the best route through a level in order to 100p it in RMZ, or finding the best route through an entire section of the game...you do have to internalize the same types of skills in the end.

Another addicitive series for me, besides Rockman and Metroid? Probably the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series. As far as I'm concerned, this series is the king of the S-RPG genre, screw FFT. :lol

But any way, fanboy notions aside, I still find myself playing these games over and over again, if only because there are so many different combinations of that you could make for your forces, as well as usually having a number of different factors that could easily make it so you don't have to play any given game in the series the same way twice.

Oh, what I wouldn't be willing to do, if Square Enix would just give Matsuno back his franchise, so that he could get back to work on making another Ogre Battle...

Error

well I can memorize a stage in MMZ pretty damn well but a whole game like Metroid? pfff not even close I always get lost or start going around in circles no to mention I forget where most of the upgrades are too yeah I suck total at that.

MMZ is another whole story tho most stages are 2 or 3 minutes longs so it's not that hard to memorize it for me. the fun in Zero games is looking for the most efficient way to clear a stage quickly while killing enough baddies and not getting hit for a 100pts score so awesome and you tend to make Zero look badass in the process.

I admire the people that do Metroid speedruns because I dont have that kind of skill to pull off something like that.

tnw

Banned
Error2k4 said:
I admire the people that do Metroid speedruns because I dont have that kind of skill to pull off something like that.

yes you do. Just get an faq. If you consider the morph ball cheating then you may not like it, but you'll find out all kind of cool tricks that will get you through super metroid really fast. I usually take a little under 1:30 game time to complete a speed run of 100%, which isn't even that fast, but I don't care. It's just fun playing though, finding everything, enjoying the music and visuals. I think once you do a speed run, you'll see how aptly placed everything is in Super Metroid, and your mind just wants to go experience that fluidity again and again.

Ogre Battle is certainly like that too, but not as much as metroid. Ogre battle gets kind of boring towards the end and you've got liches and princesses in your party. The challenge is gone, and you can just destroy pretty much everything. The early stages of the game where you really have to work with your reputation and alignment is really really fun. Just like super metroid your brain will want to go back and experience that real high level of good game design.

TreIII

tnw said:
Ogre Battle is certainly like that too, but not as much as metroid. Ogre battle gets kind of boring towards the end and you've got liches and princesses in your party. The challenge is gone, and you can just destroy pretty much everything. The early stages of the game where you really have to work with your reputation and alignment is really really fun. Just like super metroid your brain will want to go back and experience that real high level of good game design.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess... I mean, sure if you just want to power your through the game, just get a whole legion of some of the best characters in the game, including the demon guy who definitely owns up on everything like nobody's business, but would eventually take over your soul after you beat the game. :D

But again, just like you said with SM, it's all a how matter of how you wish to play the game. After all...just because you have the best characters in the game in no way guarantees you'll get the best ending by default. There's always your Reputation and such things to worry about too...

Red Scarlet

tnw said:
yes you do. Just get an faq. If you consider the morph ball cheating then you may not like it, but you'll find out all kind of cool tricks that will get you through super metroid really fast. I usually take a little under 1:30 game time to complete a speed run of 100%, which isn't even that fast, but I don't care. It's just fun playing though, finding everything, enjoying the music and visuals. I think once you do a speed run, you'll see how aptly placed everything is in Super Metroid, and your mind just wants to go experience that fluidity again and again.

I remember when I thought my 2:30 time was awesome. :lol

Top Bottom