• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

Arde5643

I tried playing MP1 again, but after a couple of hours, the lack of control for moving, aiming, and vision really hurt the game for me.

I think I've been spoilt by the excellent controls in MP3 to even try playing MP1 again.

:(

Tristam

Arde5643 said:
I tried playing MP1 again, but after a couple of hours, the lack of control for moving, aiming, and vision really hurt the game for me.

I think I've been spoilt by the excellent controls in MP3 to even try playing MP1 again.

I don't understand why you anyone says this. Speaking absolutely, yes, Corruption's controls are better than Prime or Echoes; then again, Corruption features the best controls for any console FPS I've ever played. The free aim lock-on is executed with flawless precision and offers a new level of challenge in the series -- no longer does your reticule stay centered on an enemy at all times. The motion controls (particularly the grapple lasso) are incredibly tactile and the Remote/Nunchuk setup allows for a greater level of immersion than in any game I've ever played.

On the other hand, the GC pad is more than adequate to support the designs of Prime and Echoes. It sets out to achieve something different than the Wii Remote/Nunchuk, and it does it nearly as well.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
not long ago i deliberately checked to see how the traditional controls (echoes) would feel when you're head over heels into corruption and it was not easy. the re-adjustment process proceeds from feeling straight-jacket-restrained, to nominal levels of comfort within a whole day, if not longer. surely the first two primes were built around their control scheme, so you're not handicapped in battles, but for elementary reflexes like looking around while walking it does take readjustment. and that comes from somebody who's had upward of 100 hours with the original games.

speaking of which, why the heck echoes never got the 'player's choice' treatment?! that prime and battalion wars seem like they never got nintendo's love (yes, i know echoes actually received a half-decent tv commercial, but that does not quite cut it).

blu said:
not long ago i deliberately checked to see how the traditional controls (echoes) would feel when you're head over heels into corruption and it was not easy. the re-adjustment process proceeds from feeling straight-jacket-restrained, to nominal levels of comfort within a whole day, if not longer. surely the first two primes were built around their control scheme, so you're not handicapped in battles, but for elementary reflexes like looking around while walking it does take readjustment. and that comes from somebody who's had upward of 100 hours with the original games.

speaking of which, why the heck echoes never got the 'player's choice' treatment?! that prime and battalion wars seem like they never got nintendo's love (yes, i know echoes actually received a half-decent tv commercial, but that does not quite cut it).

I haven't popped either the original or Echoes in since I played Corruption, but I'm going to have to and see how it feels. I put in 80-90 hours between the two, so it is tough to imagine the controls feeling alien at all. However, you've played them more than I have, so I suppose it's definitely possible that it'll take a bit of adjusting for me.

EDIT: I never saw that TV commercial before. Cool stuff.

Arde5643

Tristam said:
I don't understand why you anyone says this. Speaking absolutely, yes, Corruption's controls are better than Prime or Echoes; then again, Corruption features the best controls for any console FPS I've ever played. The free aim lock-on is executed with flawless precision and offers a new level of challenge in the series -- no longer does your reticule stay centered on an enemy at all times. The motion controls (particularly the grapple lasso) are incredibly tactile and the Remote/Nunchuk setup allows for a greater level of immersion than in any game I've ever played.

On the other hand, the GC pad is more than adequate to support the designs of Prime and Echoes. It sets out to achieve something different than the Wii Remote/Nunchuk, and it does it nearly as well.
Have you tried playing MP1 or MP2 again?

I hate to say it, but comparing them with MP3 controls, they feel really archaic.

I finished the game last night. Beat the final boss, then realized I had a 97% completion rate.

So, I decided not to save, and hunt down the last 3 missile expansions.

Overall, I have to say that Corruption stands on par with Prime 1 for me, with a balancing act of positives and negatives. I liked Prime 1's weapon system, in terms of missile usefulness. I liked how you could augment each weapon by "combining" it with the missiles, really gave the missiles much needed usefulness. Where as in Prime 3, they weren't really useful. Only time I used them much, in terms of fights, were against Metroids and a few scattered uses in the final fight, where, if you don't lock-on and manually aim, they can help tremendously at certain key points.

Corruption felt smaller, tighter, and it fared the better, for me. I think it had as much relevant backtracking as the previous entries, but did it in an elegant fashion. Where Prime 1 and 2 had giant sprawling maps that, once you reached the end, you had to back track in its entirety, Prime 3 stitched together the "endings" to the paths and connected them to other areas, to lessen frustration. I remember getting lost, and it was sometimes headache inducing until a hint popped up.

Prime 3 brought back the feeling of exploration quite well. I think that the whole "Federation" thing wasn't necessary. It would have sufficed being present only at the beginning, to give a sense of how Samus was regarded in her world; highly. After that, I would have rather not seen them. It didn't hurt the game hugely for me, but I do think it would have fared better that, after the initial run on Norion, we'd never see the Admiral again.

The visors were well implemented, and quite fun to use. No qualms there.

Of great service were the pick-up and scan counters on the pause menu (still one of the best pause menus I've ever seen). For a completionist like me, it's great to know how much you've got and how much you've left to go. I'm not a crazy completionist, though; I'm not going to go for ever creature and research scan. But I really like the backstories of the alien races in the Metroid verse, so knowing how much of the Lore I've got was very, very nice.

Also, the map that you gain at one point marking the exact spot of the expansions, cells, tanks, and ship expansions was a much welcome inclusion. It really helped in getting that 100%.

I also like how the 100% was toned down. Instead of getting every damn scan, now it counts expansions and the like.

I may be wrong on some of these things, especially concerning the older Primes; I rented the first one (and atoned by purchasing it recently) and borrowed the second (never got to finish it :[ ).

The final fight was good, but I recall Prime 1's with greater satisfaction. Fighting Metroid Prime in its various forms, hiding behind rock formations, it on one end of the tunnel, me on the other, swapping out cannon types and using the "super" versions of the types (except plasma, that shit was useless and expensive to use) was just amazing.

Prime 2, I have none of the complaints of the other posters here. For me, the issue lied in the bullet system. I hated having to have to pick up bullets for the light and dark cannons. I was used to infinite ammo, with the exception going to the missiles, of course. Prime 2 was as good as Prime 1. For me.

I'm going to go back now and read all the stuff you guys posted.

Oh, when I get a connection to my Wii, I'm going to want/need FV. I have quite a few; more than 15, I believe. Are the dioramas worth it? What should I get, once I get the FVs, if ever?

Oh, one thing I absolutely love about the Metroid games is the scanning. Putting together the situation and what happened from tidbits of information is freaking awesome. I loved the
G.H.S Valhalla
and reading the cause of death for all of the bodies I found.

Argh, one final thing. I keep forgetting. I like how they gave Samus her, what I consider to be, basic equipment at the beginning of the game. She has her Charge Shot, Missiles, Space Jump and Morph Ball. I think every Metroid should start off with that. I remember being surprised at Prime 1 when I lost everything; I'm surprised Samus retained the ability to frakkin' walk. When it happened again in Prime 2, where she loses everything again, I was incredulous. When Prime 3 allowed me to keep the basic, but awesome, equipment, I was so, so glad.

Awesome game with few flaws and a few deviations that old-school fans may, probably, will not like, this game deserved it's 9.0. Hell, considering the effort that went in it (few repeating textures? Holy shit), it's not surprising.

Never played any of the old Metroid games, by the way. I first saw Samus in SSB, never cared much, SSBM raised my interest level, because of the trophies, and decided to check out her game when Prime 1 came out. So glad I did. SSB is a great series to introduce people to other series. It did the same for me for Fire Emblem and, to an extent, Link (first LoZ game was Windwaker).

Sorry for the detour at the end. : p

FlightOfHeaven said:
Never played any of the old Metroid games, by the way. I first saw Samus in SSB, never cared much, SSBM raised my interest level, because of the trophies, and decided to check out her game when Prime 1 came out. So glad I did. SSB is a great series to introduce people to other series. It did the same for me for Fire Emblem and, to an extent, Link (first LoZ game was Windwaker).

Super Metroid is on the Virtual Console. Buy it. I still feel it is the best Metroid to date and one of the greatest games ever made. Any time some game site decides to make a "Greatest Games Ever" list, Super Metroid is never far from the top and is often a contender for the number one spot. Also, buy Zero Mission and Fusion for the Game Boy Advance (assuming you have a GBA or DS). Bother are excellent entries into the series, though Fusion, mostly due to its story events, sits at the bottom of my personal rating list for Metroid games. The original Metroid and, assuming you could fine it, Metroid 2 I really can't recommend unless you have a thing for very old, primitive games. Zero Mission is a remake/update of the original anyway.

MoxManiac

FlightOfHeaven said:
I finished the game last night. Beat the final boss, then realized I had a 97% completion rate.

So, I decided not to save, and hunt down the last 3 missile expansions.

Overall, I have to say that Corruption stands on par with Prime 1 for me, with a balancing act of positives and negatives. I liked Prime 1's weapon system, in terms of missile usefulness. I liked how you could augment each weapon by "combining" it with the missiles, really gave the missiles much needed usefulness. Where as in Prime 3, they weren't really useful. Only time I used them much, in terms of fights, were against Metroids and a few scattered uses in the final fight, where, if you don't lock-on and manually aim, they can help tremendously at certain key points.

Corruption felt smaller, tighter, and it fared the better, for me. I think it had as much relevant backtracking as the previous entries, but did it in an elegant fashion. Where Prime 1 and 2 had giant sprawling maps that, once you reached the end, you had to back track in its entirety, Prime 3 stitched together the "endings" to the paths and connected them to other areas, to lessen frustration. I remember getting lost, and it was sometimes headache inducing until a hint popped up.

Prime 3 brought back the feeling of exploration quite well. I think that the whole "Federation" thing wasn't necessary. It would have sufficed being present only at the beginning, to give a sense of how Samus was regarded in her world; highly. After that, I would have rather not seen them. It didn't hurt the game hugely for me, but I do think it would have fared better that, after the initial run on Norion, we'd never see the Admiral again.

The visors were well implemented, and quite fun to use. No qualms there.

Of great service were the pick-up and scan counters on the pause menu (still one of the best pause menus I've ever seen). For a completionist like me, it's great to know how much you've got and how much you've left to go. I'm not a crazy completionist, though; I'm not going to go for ever creature and research scan. But I really like the backstories of the alien races in the Metroid verse, so knowing how much of the Lore I've got was very, very nice.

Also, the map that you gain at one point marking the exact spot of the expansions, cells, tanks, and ship expansions was a much welcome inclusion. It really helped in getting that 100%.

I also like how the 100% was toned down. Instead of getting every damn scan, now it counts expansions and the like.

I may be wrong on some of these things, especially concerning the older Primes; I rented the first one (and atoned by purchasing it recently) and borrowed the second (never got to finish it :[ ).

The final fight was good, but I recall Prime 1's with greater satisfaction. Fighting Metroid Prime in its various forms, hiding behind rock formations, it on one end of the tunnel, me on the other, swapping out cannon types and using the "super" versions of the types (except plasma, that shit was useless and expensive to use) was just amazing.

Prime 2, I have none of the complaints of the other posters here. For me, the issue lied in the bullet system. I hated having to have to pick up bullets for the light and dark cannons. I was used to infinite ammo, with the exception going to the missiles, of course. Prime 2 was as good as Prime 1. For me.

I'm going to go back now and read all the stuff you guys posted.

Oh, when I get a connection to my Wii, I'm going to want/need FV. I have quite a few; more than 15, I believe. Are the dioramas worth it? What should I get, once I get the FVs, if ever?

Oh, one thing I absolutely love about the Metroid games is the scanning. Putting together the situation and what happened from tidbits of information is freaking awesome. I loved the
G.H.S Valhalla
and reading the cause of death for all of the bodies I found.

Argh, one final thing. I keep forgetting. I like how they gave Samus her, what I consider to be, basic equipment at the beginning of the game. She has her Charge Shot, Missiles, Space Jump and Morph Ball. I think every Metroid should start off with that. I remember being surprised at Prime 1 when I lost everything; I'm surprised Samus retained the ability to frakkin' walk. When it happened again in Prime 2, where she loses everything again, I was incredulous. When Prime 3 allowed me to keep the basic, but awesome, equipment, I was so, so glad.

Awesome game with few flaws and a few deviations that old-school fans may, probably, will not like, this game deserved it's 9.0. Hell, considering the effort that went in it (few repeating textures? Holy shit), it's not surprising.

MP3 is probably the first metroid game to give samus so much to start off with. All previous Metroids (Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid, Metroif Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission) start you with nothing but the basic blaster. To be honest, either way is fine to me; MP3 had plenty of cool upgrades to get despite this so I think Retro made the right choice.

The linearity is bothering me in MP3, just as it did in Fusion. I turned the hint system off immediately in Prime 1 as part of the series to me is figuring out where to go/what to do on your own. Metroid and Metroid II didn't even have map systems; I remember drawing my own maps as a kid (metroid in paticular was nightmarish to navigate because the game is so old and uses repeating corridors so much) Anyways, MP3's maps are so linear I never felt like I was lost, or I was really exploring. As a longtime Metroid fan this was really dissapointing.

It sounds like you have never played Super Metroid. I'd get that ASAP on VC if you can. It's honestly a game everyone should play at least once, especially someone who liked the Prime trilogy. The game's universal praise is truely deserving.

DragonGirl said:
Super Metroid is on the Virtual Console. Buy it. I still feel it is the best Metroid to date and one of the greatest games ever made. Any time some game site decides to make a "Greatest Games Ever" list, Super Metroid is never far from the top and is often a contender for the number one spot. Also, buy Zero Mission and Fusion for the Game Boy Advance (assuming you have a GBA or DS). Bother are excellent entries into the series, though Fusion, mostly due to its story events, sits at the bottom of my personal rating list for Metroid games. The original Metroid and, assuming you could fine it, Metroid 2 I really can't recommend unless you have a thing for very old, primitive games. Zero Mission is a remake/update of the original anyway.

QFT.

When it comes down to it, I feel that Metroid works equally well in 2D and 3D. If anyone in this thread has not played Super Metroid, I'm almost envious of you. Buy it and you're in for an experience that will blow your mind and probably replace whatever you considered the pinnacle of 2D gaming to be. It's essentially the definitive Metroid experience, though I don't personally like it any more or less than the first Prime.

blu

FlightOfHeaven said:

well, you're absolutely right here - you got it wrong about the old primes ;p

completion % in the prime series has always been about items, but in the previous two episodes full scan did unlock certain things in the galleries. that said,
the chozo observatory
turns corruption's completion % into an entirely different ball game - instead of having to figure out a plethora of small things you now need to figure out one major thing - i actually can't say i prefer the old way.

here i tend to disagree - give me more upgrades in the course of a prime game - even if they include the ability to walk on my own feet again - sense of achievement & stuff, you know ; )

glad you enjoyed the game!

i have to admit i just hate it when people fail to enjoy a great game ; )

ps: i'm long done with my vouchers, but come christmas i know i'll be starting up a new save slot, which means i'll be sending out again. that if yours is NTSC, that is.

pps: speaking of NTSC and PAL - do you care to check something in the game for me in case you're on PAL? since you mentionioned you'll be collecting your final remaining items.

One criticism I've seen pop up now and again from the Metroid Purist Faction (of which I'm perhaps a borderline member), is the lack of the Isolation Element in some recent Metroid games. I've made appeals for maintaining this element myself, and its lack in Corruption is one thing about the game that dismays me. However, I think that when "they" say isolation and when I say it, we're meaning different things.

I get the impression that many fans feel that in order to be a "true and pure Metroid game", Samus should be the only person in the game (well, aside from, you know, the enemy); said fans taking offense at the inclusion of other characters like GF marines and such. I don't feel this way at all. I say the more the merrier. I like seeing the Metroid universe populated and filled out. In Corruption, I enjoyed interacting with the other hunters during the game's first two acts. I loved the little area where I was rolling Samus through a morph ball tunnel while Rundas ran through the hallway above, or where I watched Ghor duke it out with a Berserker. I really enjoyed saving the marines and talking to them, even though they often had little to say (I really liked being thanked for saving their lives though). As far as I'm concerned, the only time additional characters could detract from Metroid is when they are competing with Samus for center stage. This is one reason I dislike Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS. Since the game was built for a multi-play aspect, all the characters needed to be on par with each other for fairness. This immediately made Samus generic amongst them (oh, so everybody has a morph ball equivalent?) and I hated that. But aside from this specific ill conceived instance, adding characters to Metroid does not negatively impact the "feeling of isolation" in Metroid. But I'll tell you what does...

Being yacked at by Admirals, intelligent computers, and my own damn ship while I'm on the job. Having my exploration interrupted by hints disguised as communiques that kick me out of the world and into the map so it can stamp a question mark on some room. Sure, you can ignore the hint messages sometimes but I hated that big "press the A button" text sitting there on the screen. Message to employer: I'm Samus Aran dammit, I don't need you to tell me how to do my job. Have you read my resume? I've explored many alien wolds on my own and I really don't need a guided tour thank you very much!

Every Metroid game post Super Metroid has added a hint system. In some games it was relatively unobtrusive, but not in Corruption. Even turning the hint system off didn't shut the damn computer up. What killed the feeling of isolation...no. Isolation is the wrong word. It's a bad word, let's never use it again. What killed the feeling of independence for me was constantly having somebody or something looking over my shoulder. I don't want to be told where to go, what to do, or what my health status is. What the heck? Is this thing monitoring my every breath? Now, I understand the point of a hint system, heck I even need to use it myself sometimes, but what I reject with great ire is an intrusive hint system. I don't want to be told what to do unless I ask for help.

Corruption introduced a singular wonderful mechanic. The ship, specifically, the ship visor that allowed Samus to make use of her ship in game. Let's add one more function to the ship visor. We'll call it Communicate. Communicate allows Samus to message her ship or computer or home base or whatever and have them scan the area, they do so and give you the location of your next objective. It's just like the current hint system, but it doesn't occur unless you explicitly ask for it. Yeah, I could really go for that approach.

So, in conclusion, adding characters to interact with, maybe even work with to a limited degree in Metroid is just swell. What kills the legendary bounty hunter's independence, however, is constantly interrupting her to tell her how to go about her own business. I really do hate that.

Yagharek

Can I just say, as someone raised on dual analogue fps games, that MP3 control method, based on two hours of play, has topped anything I care to think of.

Double jump backwards + 180 degree turn onto higher platforms over bottomless pits with success is a pretty convincing demonstration of how well it works.

I like the futuristic design choices in MP3 a lot. An example are the giant floating spheres in Bryo's skyline chained to the planet's surface. The first time you see them, they just seem to be set pieces to make the world more obscure, because they don't appear to be particularly functional. I recall later reading in some of the lore or research data that Bryo is a very uninhabitable planet. Like only 5% of it is habitable. After each play session in MP3, I used to think about the design and art in the game, because it was so inspiring. By some chance, I recalled reading something about futuristic habitation ideas using tensegrity spheres: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_nine_(Tensegrity_sphere).

That's what I really like about science fiction. The alien stuff around you, just seems obscure and totally unfamiliar, until you explore the new world and find out what it's function is. It all makes sense in the end. MP3 used this emotion extensively throughout the game, with as an example, the external mechanical controls in combination with the Wiimote, were a very nice and fitting gameplay innovation.

marwan

Banned
DEAD RABBIT, talking about those chained planets, they remind me so much of "Psygnosis" games on the Amiga, as if it belonged in a "Shadow of the Beast" game.

blu

DragonGirl said:
One criticism I've seen pop up now and again from the Metroid Purist Faction (of which I'm perhaps a borderline member), is the lack of the Isolation Element in some recent Metroid games. I've made appeals for maintaining this element myself, and its lack in Corruption is one thing about the game that dismays me. However, I think that when "they" say isolation and when I say it, we're meaning different things.

I get the impression that many fans feel that in order to be a "true and pure Metroid game", Samus should be the only person in the game (well, aside from, you know, the enemy); said fans taking offense at the inclusion of other characters like GF marines and such. I don't feel this way at all. I say the more the merrier. I like seeing the Metroid universe populated and filled out. In Corruption, I enjoyed interacting with the other hunters during the game's first two acts. I loved the little area where I was rolling Samus through a morph ball tunnel while Rundas ran through the hallway above, or where I watched Ghor duke it out with a Berserker. I really enjoyed saving the marines and talking to them, even though they often had little to say (I really liked being thanked for saving their lives though). As far as I'm concerned, the only time additional characters could detract from Metroid is when they are competing with Samus for center stage. This is one reason I dislike Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS. Since the game was built for a multi-play aspect, all the characters needed to be on par with each other for fairness. This immediately made Samus generic amongst them (oh, so everybody has a morph ball equivalent?) and I hated that. But aside from this specific ill conceived instance, adding characters to Metroid does not negatively impact the "feeling of isolation" in Metroid. But I'll tell you what does...

Being yacked at by Admirals, intelligent computers, and my own damn ship while I'm on the job. Having my exploration interrupted by hints disguised as communiques that kick me out of the world and into the map so it can stamp a question mark on some room. Sure, you can ignore the hint messages sometimes but I hated that big "press the A button" text sitting there on the screen. Message to employer: I'm Samus Aran dammit, I don't need you to tell me how to do my job. Have you read my resume? I've explored many alien wolds on my own and I really don't need a guided tour thank you very much!

i totaly agree. corruption tops the record of 'from-behind-the-scene' interference previously held by fusion. down to the point of introducing a
second AU to push you around on elysia
wtf!?
at first when i learned there was a corrupted AU there i was 'oh, great - an AU bossfight!'
- haha, how wrong i was.

basically, in corrption being samus feels like being an errand boy, and that's the one complaint i have on the whole subject. compare this to the messiah feeling that prime, and especially echoes install, and you'll see why somebody would prefer the previous episodes when coming to the role of the protagonist.

ed: since we mentioned elysia, does anybody find it strange that
the defence drone beats the hell out of helios as a boss fight? i mean, helios is grandeur and all, but effort-wise, that seed guardian is some pretty weak sauce, on all difficulty levels.

blu said:
i totaly agree. corruption tops the record of 'from-behind-the-scene' interference previously held by fusion. down to the point of introducing a
second AU to push you around on elysia
wtf!?
at first when i learned there was a corrupted AU there i was 'oh, great - an AU bossfight!'
- haha, how wrong i was.

basically, in corrption being samus feels like being an errand boy, and that's the one complaint i have on the whole subject. compare this to the messiah feeling that prime, and especially echoes install, and you'll see why somebody would prefer the previous episodes when coming to the role of the protagonist.

ed: since we mentioned elysia, does anybody find it strange that
the defence drone beats the hell out of helios as a boss fight? i mean, helios is grandeur and all, but effort-wise, that seed guardian is some pretty weak sauce, on all difficulty levels.

I completely agree. The hints were just out of control. Nothing was more annoying than exploring for pick-ups and continuously receiving the same msg. over and over about where I should be going. It's already marked on my map. If I can't follow that then I probably shouldn't be playing the game.

Also, I do feel that it's fair to say that a noticeable amount of isolation was lost due to Federation transmissions and in dealing with the AUs. That was something I loved about Echoes. Running through the Dark World my first time through the game gave such an extreme sense of isolation and discomfort, which was great.

And about
Elysian bosses in general. I thought it was the weakest area in the game in terms of boss fights. I mean, the defense drone and Helios both fit really well in terms of design, but that didn't make them memorable at all. Both were pretty easy, I thought. I didn't think Ghor was all that great, either. Rhundas was definitely a better fight. Also, Mogenar is honestly the only boss I can remember getting killed by.

The thing that killed me the most in the game was the acid rain on the Pirate Homeworld, haha. On several occasions I tried to see if I could make it through the rain to scan an object, etc., only to end up killing myself.

Christine

HitokiriNate85 said:
Rhundas
was definitely a better fight.

I agree that the
Elysian
boss designs had a lot less impact than the bosses from the other areas, but
Rhundas
is the weakest and easiest boss in the game by a considerable margin. I thought that
he was tougher and better than Ghor
on my first run through Veteran, but subsequent plays on the other difficulties have shown me that I was wrong.
Rhundas
can be killed in less than 25 seconds on any difficulty level with astonishing ease. All of his fancy attacks are worthless unless you wait around for them to happen. Berserker Lord is objectively more difficult.

HitokiriNate85 said:
The thing that killed me the most in the game was the acid rain on the Pirate Homeworld, haha. On several occasions I tried to see if I could make it through the rain to scan an object, etc., only to end up killing myself.

The rate of damage from environmental hazards increases exponentially over time for as long as you remain exposed, haha. You think you've got time to get out but at that point it's too late because you're taking more than an E-tank of damage every second, haha.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
finally got hold of a copy off a shelf. Just got the PED and saved it there for more play later. I can tell it's not going to get finished before mario ass pounds it in a week or so.

Seems great though, loving the controls.

Tristam

Some of the level designs from the dark worlds in Echoes were rather weak and it was kind of annoying how difficult it was to SEE anything, but I still loved the oppressive, claustrophobic atmosphere. The Ing were a sweet enemy, too.

blu

TwinIonEngines said:
I agree that the
Elysian
boss designs had a lot less impact than the bosses from the other areas, but
Rhundas
is the weakest and easiest boss in the game by a considerable margin. I thought that
he was tougher and better than Ghor
on my first run through Veteran, but subsequent plays on the other difficulties have shown me that I was wrong.
Rhundas
can be killed in less than 25 seconds on any difficulty level with astonishing ease. All of his fancy attacks are worthless unless you wait around for them to happen. Berserker Lord is objectively more difficult.

funny, i've had some utterly peculiar luck with that encounter - on veteran i got that rare
rundas-getting-wall-stuck bug
, which i ruthlessly exploited, and on hyper i accidentally entered the battle with 94 health total (you're supposed to have
~400
there), which does not give an objective idea of the fight on this difficulty level either (but is mad fun nevertheless). the only time this encounter went normally for me was on, well, normal - which is all paper and goose feathers anyway.

Christine

blu said:
funny, i've had some utterly peculiar luck with that encounter - on veteran i got that rare
rundas-getting-wall-stuck bug
, which i ruthlessly exploited, and on hyper i accidentally entered the battle with 94 health total (you're supposed to have
~400
there), which does not give an objective idea of the fight on this difficulty level either (but is mad fun nevertheless). the only time this encounter went normally for me was on, well, normal - which is all paper and goose feathers anyway.

If you have enough energy for at least two hypermode uses and you know the rudiments of making effective use of hypermode, he's no more difficult than on normal. Definitely "more fragile than he appears".

bumpkin

Hmm, so I'm in the process of trying to get the 100% ending and I've reached a rather odd impass. I've gotten every energy tank, every energy cell, and every missile expansion; at least based on the little dots on the maps. I know the Valhalla isn't included in the whole "marking" thing so I referred to an FAQ to get what's hidden there.

So... Are there two pickups that are super-hidden? Do scans of certain things count as pickups (i.e. am I screwed on a one-time chance somewhere)? :(

Edit: Nevermind... I had forgotten about the hidden ice area in Bryyo. That indeed held the key to my 100% completion. :D

Rezbit

Well, just finished this so I will post some thoughts:

First things first, the controls. Well, I guess everyone has said they're brilliant, and I'm in the same boat. Responsive, precise with some good gestures thrown in. However, sometimes the controls were a bit of a double-edged sword. It feels to me like it contributed to Corruption at times not knowing what it wanted to be. When trekking around, exploring, scanning, I thought to myself, "Oh this is trademark Prime, awesome." However, with some of the set-pieces I thought "Am I playing a FPS now?" I guess because the controls were so good, when it came to combat Retro were forced to put in more enemies and make them stronger to offer any semblance of difficulty. That said, these moments controlled beautifully, and really this is only a little thought as I was still totally immersed.

With the levels and design, I thought Corruption was really good for the most part. The worlds really fit in well with the wider Prime universe, offering more unique areas to explore. Even the couple of little "side" areas were well designed; in particular exploring the
Valhalla
was very atmospheric, even creepy. While at times, some of it felt a bit "corridor"-ish, the areas were intricate with good layouts, especially the BRILLIANT
Pirate Homeworld
. However, the one exception is Norion. What an uninspired world. The layout was boring, the colour scheme was boring, and it just felt out of place. While the overall structure of the world wasn't as bad as Magmoor Caverns in Prime 1 (straight line?), the individual rooms were ultimately the poorest of the series.

Backtracking was done well, but it was maybe a bit too easy to traverse the world with the use of your ship plus the environmental shortcuts around.

On the story, I actually liked the fact that with at least one of the games Retro tried to flesh out the universe a little bit. We've already had the isolation aspects going strong with Prime 1 and 2, so I was quite happy with seeing other characters buzzing around. I also appreciated the voice acting, which is pretty rare from Nintendo, even though as a whole it was a mixed bag. And you know what, the story even sucked me in! I was getting used to being directed around and spoken to, that when the ending came I was a bit disappointed, because
it ended up being a pretty standard Metroid ending! It was just like "Yay we did it!" *cheesy thumbs up*
. So I guess that says something positive about this more linear, story-driven entry!

As a whole, it was a really enjoyable experience, and as a fan of both Prime and Echoes, I welcome Corruption to the series with open arms. In the end, it gels brilliantly with the other 2 games, offering control differences and a bit of streamlining. And just to wax lyrical for a moment, what Retro has created with these 3 games is something else. They have essentially created 12 extensive worlds, many of them with their own lores, and each of them different to the others. On top of this, they have other little final boss worlds, dark worlds, and ships, all individually designed. In fact, because of this extensive universe, rather than say each one as a favourite game of mine, I may as well just say "the Prime series."

I guess now I want to know what's next for Samus!

beef3483

I would have removed the Admiral from the game completely. He was terribly cliche and ultimately wasn't needed at all.

This would have meant that your primary communication would have only been with the AU units and the hunters (and to a lesser extent Federation grunts). Since the AUs aren't human and the hunters turned bad, isolation wouldn't have been sacrificed to the degree that it was.

I also think, at the end, we should have had a rematch with Metroid Prime (not just Dark Samus). After the AU is defeated Metroid Prime could have returned and there would have been one final showdown. Afterall, the games are called "Metroid Prime" and it is part of the Metroid series. They almost went off on a tangent with Dark Samus. If they had just brought Prime back for one final showdown, it would have brought everything full circle and made for a very poignant moment.

marwan

Banned
how come no one mention that the game was dead easy on normal difficulty? MP1 was way more challenging and some of the bosses(specially ridley and metroid prime) were bone crunching hard! MP2 had a similar difficulty to MP2(the boost guardian was a total bitch to defeat), while MP3 was retardedly easy, i beat ever boss from my first try! ;0

great game nonetheless!

i'm really curious to know what the next series would be, since Retro said that MP3 is the last in the Prime series.

beef3483 said:
I would have removed the Admiral from the game completely. He was terribly cliche and ultimately wasn't needed at all.

This would have meant that your primary communication would have only been with the AU units and the hunters (and to a lesser extent Federation grunts). Since the AUs aren't human and the hunters turned bad, isolation wouldn't have been sacrificed to the degree that it was.

I also think, at the end, we should have had a rematch with Metroid Prime (not just Dark Samus). After the AU is defeated Metroid Prime could have returned and there would have been one final showdown. Afterall, the games are called "Metroid Prime" and it is part of the Metroid series. They almost went off on a tangent with Dark Samus. If they had just brought Prime back for one final showdown, it would have brought everything full circle and made for a very poignant moment.

QFT!

JRPereira

beef3483 said:

Yea, pretty much.
I was waiting for either the final showdown with the true metroid prime from the first game (with some modifications), or an actual mother brain with full chamber and metroid-filled tourian-style area.

The final fight was a pretty big letdown. Dark samus was a deliciously evil character but fighting her is pretty boring.

Completed the game yesterday

Overall, the game was very good, tbqh, i picked up the game to find out how effective the controls were and well, that passed the test. After I got round to my first proper mission of adventuring the game really shone with inventive boss fights, great powerups and awesome environments. However, the game is far from perfect, there is a fair bit of annoying features of the Metroid prime series which still stands today, such as back tracking quite abit just to pick up a powerup, sure its been done in 2D metroid games, but what makes Prime series more annoying is that we have to travel from planet to planet, which makes the game needlessly longer than expected. Another point to make out is the whole sci-fi army thing, never in a million years would i expect Samus to join forces with an armada to wreck havok on an enemy army. This feels like Metroid and more *shudder* generic sci-fi shooters.

However, the game did shine in most parts, the controls wortk 90% of the time and was very pleased with the polish of the game, lots of adventuring, lots of stuff to do, if you're a big fan of Metroid Prime series, this is a great addition to the party.

8/10

Ledsen

marwan said:
how come no one mention that the game was dead easy on normal difficulty? MP1 was way more challenging and some of the bosses(specially ridley and metroid prime) were bone crunching hard! MP2 had a similar difficulty to MP2(the boost guardian was a total bitch to defeat), while MP3 was retardedly easy, i beat ever boss from my first try! ;0

great game nonetheless!

i'm really curious to know what the next series would be, since Retro said that MP3 is the last in the Prime series.

QFT!

You can choose veteran from the start so normal doesn't even come into the equation.

As for buying on the VC, I'd totally consider it, if it weren't for the horrible, horrible fact that I can't right now. I'm abroad, and my Wii won't have an internet connection for a while. I plan on buying Starfox 64 and Super Metroid when I can.

As for the interaction with the admiral, that bothered me. I really pulled me out of the game at times, but I just ignored it.

As for the whole hint system, being able to "communicate" with the ship is a brilliant idea. I would have preferred that.

As to getting lost, I can totally go for that. But I remember spending lots and lots of time being lost. While cool for a while, it was frustrating, and hints came ever so rarely. I'd say I'm a weaksauce gamer, though.

Oh, I tried it out on Veteran on my first run, due to pride and foolishness, and was afraid I wouldn't be able to complete it. It was perfect, not too difficult nor too easy. I completed it in 15 hours, although I probably spent more than 20 due to deaths and restarts and such. I don't need a ton of playtime, developers, as long as it's superb and memorable.

Fighting Metroid Prime at the end would have been a spectacular ending. Absolutely stunning. A missed opportunity. Only way to make it viable, though, would have been to make it a "secret" boss, when you've got 100%, or... I dunno. There's a reason I'm not studying to become a game developer. : p

As for the Bryyo discussion earlier,
I thought it was rather obvious that the Reptillicus were the decedents of the Primals. I mean, what wild animal wields energy whips and scythes? o_O

Man, this game is awesome. Now I've got a hankering to pick up Prime 2, I still have the save file.

Where the hell can I find Prime 2 in China? D:

Rezbit said:
Well, just finished this so I will post some thoughts:

First things first, the controls. Well, I guess everyone has said they're brilliant, and I'm in the same boat. Responsive, precise with some good gestures thrown in. However, sometimes the controls were a bit of a double-edged sword. It feels to me like it contributed to Corruption at times not knowing what it wanted to be. When trekking around, exploring, scanning, I thought to myself, "Oh this is trademark Prime, awesome." However, with some of the set-pieces I thought "Am I playing a FPS now?" I guess because the controls were so good, when it came to combat Retro were forced to put in more enemies and make them stronger to offer any semblance of difficulty. That said, these moments controlled beautifully, and really this is only a little thought as I was still

On the feelings of the FPS, it seems to me that was part of the development agenda for Corruption. For Prime, Retro set out to create Metroid in 3D. For Echoes, Retro set out to create a bigger and better Prime with new twists. Corruption, however, had a different agenda. Namely, it wasn't just a Metroid game, it was a game that needed to show off the Wii pointer controls. Since one of Corruption's goals was to showcase pointer shooting, the game design needed to incorporate more classic styled shooter elements. Still, the sheer "toughness" that is, how many hits it took to drop any given enemy was more due to the hyperbeam element than the pointer controls.

I hate the fact that they didn't translate the special message given to you if you entered the ship's docking code again into the computer after the first mission. Did anyone translate it?

Haunted

bumpkin said:
Hmm, so I'm in the process of trying to get the 100% ending and I've reached a rather odd impass. I've gotten every energy tank, every energy cell, and every missile expansion; at least based on the little dots on the maps. I know the Valhalla isn't included in the whole "marking" thing so I referred to an FAQ to get what's hidden there.

So... Are there two pickups that are super-hidden? Do scans of certain things count as pickups (i.e. am I screwed on a one-time chance somewhere)? :(

Edit: Nevermind... I had forgotten about the hidden ice area in Bryyo. That indeed held the key to my 100% completion. :D
:lol *high-fives*
I came in here to post exactly that. I didn't get the Energy Tank and Gunship Missile there as well, roamed the game for a good half hour with 98% wondering what I was missing.

Arde5643 said:

As much as I complained about MP3 controls for a while (took me longer to get the hang of it than most), going back to MP1 felt weird in the same way for me... for like 10 mins, then I settled in and the controls were as good as I remembered.

Gwanatu T

Haunted One said:
:lol *high-fives*
I came in here to post exactly that. I didn't get the Energy Tank and Gunship Missile there as well, roamed the game for a good half hour with 98% wondering what I was missing.

Son of a...

I missed those too. Posted about it more than once here and didn't get a reply. Oh well, maybe next time through I'll 100% it. There's an alternate ending for such a victory, right?

Gianny

I have 91 items and I am already at the last boss fight. I want to go back and grab the other 9 items but can't find the map that would display the ones I haven't picked up. I only see everything in Bryoo and Norion.

Give me a clue or an answer plz

Gianny said:
I have 91 items and I am already at the last boss fight. I want to go back and grab the other 9 items but can't find the map that would display the ones I haven't picked up. I only see everything in Bryoo and Norion.

Give me a clue or an answer plz

Revisit the Chozo Observatory after you get the
Nova Beam

Banned
HELP!

I'm at the
federation landing site, where i'm going to do my first ship upgrade
and
when I go to hit the control pad to put the columns away and call my ship, the ship won't come. I opened the roof and everything and can't see anything else i'm ment to do...
Anyone know what I mean? Know what I need to do? I've done everything in FAQs i've read... I know it must be something simple i've missed, but I can't see it... thanx.

8bit

Knows the Score
666 said:
HELP!

I'm at the
federation landing site, where i'm going to do my first ship upgrade
and
when I go to hit the control pad to put the columns away and call my ship, the ship won't come. I opened the roof and everything and can't see anything else i'm ment to do...
Anyone know what I mean? Know what I need to do? I've done everything in FAQs i've read... I know it must be something simple i've missed, but I can't see it... thanx.

I think you have to fly the ship into that section, then get out and upgrade.

Haunted

Gwanatu T said:
Son of a...

I missed those too. Posted about it more than once here and didn't get a reply. Oh well, maybe next time through I'll 100% it. There's an alternate ending for such a victory, right?
I've tried to avoid this thread as much as possible before completing the game, sorry. At least you've got a reason to play it on hypermode now besides the yellow credits. :p

Here's how you get the "weak sauce" (I used em!) item locations for Prime 3.

In the Chozo Observatory on Elysia, the third world you explore, there's a couple of places where you can enter as a morph ball and activate some triggers that download expansion locations onto your maps. From there on in, all unit locations will be revealed, with acquired expansions being x's and unacquired being spheres, or circles. They will tell you exactly where. Not how to get them, mind you, just where in 3D space they are.

Only places not covered are the secret ice area on Bryyo and the Valhalla.

I wonder if you get something special when you beat the game in all three difficulty modes. I like how the 3 empty circles on the far left of your file represent which difficulty levels you've beaten on that file.

I'd love to get all of the extras with the credits, but that'd take so much time. D:

Banned
thanx, I knew it was simple... I saw the ship icon and thought it ment to call your ship, then an FAQ confirmed that. Little prick!

Final post for the night. I kept forgetting this:

I can't believe Sakurai did not ask for assets from this game for Brawl. That's such a shame; this game, this series, are valid entries into the Metroid series, and as such deserve to be represented, in their current form, in Brawl.

If any of the Retro men here are reading this, know that it is a grave oversight, and I wish you guys the best on your next project, whatever it is.

I felt like saying this because Brawl is this huge collaboration involving almost all of Nintendo and a good chunk of their best talent, where the lead man is really talented and given free reign. Yet, one of Nintendo's best and brightest studios seems be left out of the mix. And that's just sad.

: (

Sorry for the derail.

Code_Link

FlightOfHeaven said:
Only places not covered are the secret ice area on Bryyo and the Valhalla.

You're wrong, the Ice Area in Bryyo is covered when you download the Bryyo info. Where can you download the item info for the Pirate Homeworld, though?

blu

Code_Link said:
You're wrong, the Ice Area in Bryyo is covered when you download the Bryyo info. Where can you download the item info for the Pirate Homeworld, though?

sampe place, once you acquire the
x-beam
. look for a certain denzium (iirc) plate.

Code_Link said:

You can't look at the Ice Area's map until you're actually in the Ice Area.

Top Bottom