• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

Duderz

Banned
Quick question regarding 100%: Do all of the items show up as dots once you activate the beacons in Sky Town? I'm missing a single item (just my luck), and I've scoured the maps over every world, but I can't seem to find a dot on any of them. :/

Duderz said:
Quick question regarding 100%: Do all of the items show up as dots once you activate the beacons in Sky Town? I'm missing a single item (just my luck), and I've scoured the maps over every world, but I can't seem to find a dot on any of them. :/

Depends, have you beaten the last Seed Boss? Remember, you also get items from bosses and they obviously don't show up on the maps.

But yeah, other than the locations already mentioned, all other items show up on the maps.

Duderz

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Depends, have you beaten the last Seed Boss? Remember, you also get items from bosses and they obviously don't show up on the maps.

Sorry, I should've stated my question a little better. I'm ready to go to
Phaaze
and finish the game (actually, I already have), but I can't remember if you get a missile upgrade or whatever while you're there.

Christine

666 said:
HELP!

I'm at the
federation landing site, where i'm going to do my first ship upgrade
and
when I go to hit the control pad to put the columns away and call my ship, the ship won't come. I opened the roof and everything and can't see anything else i'm ment to do...
Anyone know what I mean? Know what I need to do? I've done everything in FAQs i've read... I know it must be something simple i've missed, but I can't see it... thanx.

That's really odd. If the
roof is open
and the
missile racks are lowered
, you should definitely be able to call the ship. Do you see an icon in the command visor?

Duderz said:
Phaaze
and finish the game (actually, I already have), but I can't remember if you get a missile upgrade or whatever while you're there.

There are no pick-ups on
Phaaze

Capndrake

Duderz said:
Phaaze
No upgrades in
Phaaze
. Remember, no items are marked on the maps of
Bryyo Ice and the Valhalla. Bryyo Ice has a Ship Missile and Energy Tank, Valhalla has two Missiles (I think? One might be a Ship Missile) and an Energy Tank.

Duderz

Banned
Well, I know I'm only missing a missle upgrade (I only have 250), so I'll check the maps one more time, then head back to
Bryyo Ice and Valhalla
to take another look.

Christine

The
Bryyo Ice
upgrades are marked, but you cannot view the map for that area unless you are currently in the area. The
Valhalla
upgrades have no location markers and are the only upgrades so unmarked.

oatmeal

Banned
Well I finally got back into this game. I was about 15% in for the longest time, got Halo and stuff and I just couldn't be bothered to play anymore. It's not like I wasn't enjoying it, so I have put a couple more hours into it, and I am enjoying it a lot.

Great game. Hope I can actually finish it though.

Saitou

Banned
Duderz said:
Well, I know I'm only missing a missle upgrade (I only have 250), so I'll check the maps one more time, then head back to
Bryyo Ice and Valhalla
to take another look.
Just so you know, the same thing happened to me, had 99% and both the hidden areas taken care of. I just had missed a dot, the one
where you fight Rundas. You need the Nova Beam and the Hazard Suit.

Felt like an idiot, too. Had spent a good amount of time searching =/

Code_Link

Haha, while I was playing through
Elysia
, I started to wonder how come Samus's ship just sits there and never gets attacked by the enemy (while being completely vulnerable)... minutes before
Ghor attacked my ship.
It's like the developers said: "Here you go, shut up."

kizmah

Just finished Corruption. It was everything I was hoping for and more. Except for some minor blemishes it perfected the Prime formula and to me emerged as the best part of the trilogy. Amazing game and, at least for two more days, the best thing on Wii so far.

Code_Link said:
Haha, while I was playing through
Elysia
, I started to wonder how come Samus's ship just sits there and never gets attacked by the enemy (while being completely vulnerable)... minutes before
Ghor attacked my ship.
It's like the developers said: "Here you go, shut up."

That's funny. I wondered that myself before. In fact, in the first game, I was a little paranoid about it because of log entries that said they were looking for it or something like that.

Sagitario

FlightOfHeaven said:
Final post for the night. I kept forgetting this:

I can't believe Sakurai did not ask for assets from this game for Brawl. That's such a shame; this game, this series, are valid entries into the Metroid series, and as such deserve to be represented, in their current form, in Brawl.

If any of the Retro men here are reading this, know that it is a grave oversight, and I wish you guys the best on your next project, whatever it is.

I felt like saying this because Brawl is this huge collaboration involving almost all of Nintendo and a good chunk of their best talent, where the lead man is really talented and given free reign. Yet, one of Nintendo's best and brightest studios seems be left out of the mix. And that's just sad.

: (

Sorry for the derail.

I want some Prime love in Brawl too...

Banned
TwinIonEngines said:
That's really odd. If the
roof is open
and the
missile racks are lowered
, you should definitely be able to call the ship. Do you see an icon in the command visor?

I didn't check the command visor... Forgot all about it to be honest!! That's the one next to the scan visor, right? Anyway, I went and got my ship and just flew it there in the end. Thanks!

dock

I get the feeling I'm not the only European here rushing to finish Metroid Prime 3 before Mario Galaxy comes out on Friday. I think I should be able to do it if I play tomorrow night and thursday night. I'm really enjoying the game though, great stuff.

mclem

What are
ship missile upgrades
actually *for*? I haven't seen a meaningful situation for which I'd need them.

mclem said:
What are
ship missile upgrades
actually *for*? I haven't seen a meaningful situation for which I'd need them.

Once again, the missile expansions are for the ship to make bombing runs on enemy groups. These are not the mandatory uses of the missile, where you have to clear a barrier to proceed. You can call in your ship to make a bombing run on the enemy in almost any location that's wide open to the sky. This is simply an additional strategy you can use or ignore, as you prefer. I found it a nice way to immediately take out large groups of annoying enemies, like the
hopping metroids on Norion
, if you revisit the planet later in the game.

This isn't a well documented function of the ship. I didn't learn about it until my second play through and didn't figure out how to actually use it until my fourth play through. You just lock onto a location while in the Command Visor and a missile icon will appear if you can bomb the area.

You kind of have to stumble upon the ability on your own, but undocumented abilities do have precedence in the Metroid series. Super Metroid, for example, had a large number of abilities you don't need to beat the game, but are incredibly cool. You'd never know they were there unless you just messed around with the beam combinations and controls...or let the title screen cycle a few times.

Ledsen

dock UK said:
I get the feeling I'm not the only European here rushing to finish Metroid Prime 3 before Mario Galaxy comes out on Friday. I think I should be able to do it if I play tomorrow night and thursday night. I'm really enjoying the game though, great stuff.

I was going to do that, but then I realized I was rushing through probably the best game in my favourite series ever. So I stopped, and I'm just going to play it at the same time as Galaxy. Maybe I'll blow up from all the awesome, but then so be it!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ledsen said:
So I stopped, and I'm just going to play it at the same time as Galaxy. Maybe I'll blow up from all the awesome, but then so be it!

beware, you're taking one slippery road!

*being there, doing that*

seriously though, playing the wii this fall/christmas has been one rollercoaster ride.

So yeah I finished this last night.

Was absolutely amazing. So glad I bought this. And now my schedule is almost free for when Mario gets here.

The last bosses were really exciting and a decent challenge. I was on the edge of overload most of the time.

The last level looked amazing too.

Oh and the parts in the Valhalla where you get sucked through the doors like an air lock opened were amazing. The visor effects were just so well done.

VVARIO

kamo said:
Anyone want to trade friend vouchers with me? I have 12 to trade (PAL Version)
My Wii code is 2913 6975 0567 1279
I still have some vouchers left so add me if you want to trade.
4545 3797 7418 9514

dock UK said:

I did this (USA though). I recently went on an anime/tv show kick, so I stopped playing MP3 and have been watching several shows in my free time. When I realized Galaxy was coming out soon, I sat down and finished MP3 cuz I don't like leaving games unfinished. I played for 16 hours that day and finished it. I was sure not to rush through and to enjoy it, but afterwards I still had like an entire week before Galaxy came out!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I just beat the game w/100%. I know it's propbably been asked a dozen times, but does the Prime series take place between Metroid & Metroid 2:Return of Samus or between Metroid 2:Return of Samus and Super Metroid?

Anyway, I was really impressed with MP3. The controls were perfect and the graphics were damn good. I only have a few minor complaints, but overall it's a great game. I guess my main complaint is Samus's face model. I prefer the face from the original Metroid Prime the best. Oh well.

Metroid Prime Samus
Samus_sans_helmet.jpg

VS.

Metroid Prime 3 Samus

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070826101133828.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dock UK said:

yeah I'm only on the world beginning with B (bryyo or something, about 2nd - 3rd boss in) and Galaxy showed up in the Mail today.

Sorry Samus :(

MadOdorMachine said:
I just beat the game w/100%. I know it's propbably been asked a dozen times, but does the Prime series take place between Metroid & Metroid 2:Return of Samus or between Metroid 2:Return of Samus and Super Metroid?

Anyway, I was really impressed with MP3. The controls were perfect and the graphics were damn good. I only have a few minor complaints, but overall it's a great game. I guess my main complaint is Samus's face model. I prefer the face from the original Metroid Prime the best. Oh well.

The Prime Trilogy takes place immediately after the first game and before Metroid 2.

As for Samus' face, I've been saying that since forever. I loved her facial model in Prime, loathed her in Echoes and while her model in Corruption is better than Echoes, it's still pretty poor. Hmm, I'm going to elaborate on this tonight when I have time to make a longer post.

dock

Where is the information on the location of the Energy Cells?

I collected loads of info from the Valhalla, but I don't see anything on any of my maps. I get the feeling I need to hunt down four more energy cells, but I don't know where to start. Even if I follow an FAQ I would surely be heading to a bunch of locations where I already found energy cells.

Christine

dock UK said:
Where is the information on the location of the
Energy Cells?

I collected loads of info from the
Valhalla
, but I don't see anything on any of my maps. I get the feeling I need to hunt down four more
energy cells
, but I don't know where to start. Even if I follow an FAQ I would surely be heading to a bunch of locations where I already found
energy cells.

There's a screen in the menu under the 'inventory' category that shows the
ECs
you've acquired and the hints you picked up on the
Valhalla
. They also appear as a regular marked pickup on the map.

Does Metroid Prime 3 have a collections required in this game like the first two games i listed below? Thanks!

I don't want spoil this gems for those of you who never got a chance to play the first two games.

Metroid Prime have
"12 Artifacts"
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes have
"3 energy keys per level" including "9 energy keys" all over the map.

I hope it's not as bad as it was in MP 2: Echoes.

[Nintex]

Jade Knight 08 said:
Does Metroid Prime 3 have a collections required in this game like the first two games i listed below? Thanks!

I don't want spoil this gems for those of you who never got a chance to play the first two games.

Metroid Prime have
"12 Artifacts"

You need to collect
energy cells
but most of them are easy to find and you can just pick them up along the way. By the time I got the mission to find them there were only 2 left.

Jade Knight 08 said:

Yes, it's 9 energy cells this time, though it is a lot better done than in Echoes. You really only need 5 to complete the game (other 4 energy cells are required to get a few expansions) and I got 6 cells on my 1st playthrough without ever re-traversing. This collect-a-thon is not bad at all.

Jade Knight 08 said:

Metroid Prime have
"12 Artifacts"

Yes and no.

To progress through an area later in the game, you need Energy Cells to power sections of the area. You can collect these as you find them, at any point in the game... and chances are you'll be missing few or none at all when the time comes for you to venture to the end.

MadOdorMachine said:

VS me!

metroidmii.jpg

Code_Link

Awesome. Finished the game with 100% (though I missed out on some scans, weird...).

Anyway, the game was fantastic, although
the final bosses -- Dark "Sammy" and The Aurora were too easy.

I've been reading on this thread and some say that the
ship at the 100% ending is Sylux's from MP:H, but the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it wasn't that, but rather that it was a clone ship made from Phazon, similar to how Dark Samus was a clone of the Varia Suit made from Phazon. I dunno, though, but the Sylux theory doesn't make a lot of sense.

8bit

Knows the Score
18% percent into the game and I've had enough, fuck this. It took some time to learn the controls and I was enjoying playing it, but fighting whatever it is with the red globes is horribly unfair.

Maybe I'm predisposed to give up early as I bailed on Echoes at about the same % but this is terribly unfun.

Saitou

Banned
8bit said:
18% percent into the game and I've had enough, fuck this. It took some time to learn the controls and I was enjoying playing it, but fighting whatever it is with the red globes is horribly unfair.

Maybe I'm predisposed to give up early as I bailed on Echoes at about the same % but this is terribly unfun.
If you are playing on Hypermode, I'd understand. That fight requires the patience to wait and recharge your life between every sphere.

If you're playing on Normal, you should commit suicide for being such a weaksauce gamer. No excuse is justifiable.

8bit said:

I didn't care for Mogenar either but seriously, it's by far the most annoying boss in the game but he's only tough until you realize how to take him down easy. I had more trouble with him on my very first play through (on Veteran Difficulty) than I did on my Hypermode run because by then, I knew how to beat him.

Try this:
Blast his orbs, then when it comes time to finish an orb and you go into hypermode, make the corrupted hyper mode last as long as possible. You're only in trouble if you let the corruption bar max out. Shoot to drain it a little. Take a hit to fill it up more quickly. You are invincible while in hypermode. By keeping the hypermode going, it's much less frustrating to hit his orbs because if he closes the shielding, you can just wait for your next chance to shoot them rather than drop out of hypermode and waste another energy tank.

Need energy? You can get it by shooting the red orbs when grabs them to repair his damage. Shoot his green hand attack for energy too. Also, when you bomb his "phazon boots, those drop energy as well.

Also, when Mogenar opens his mouth, like when he laughs or shoots his laser, you can blast his head with an ice missile. Succeed and he'll be frozen for a few seconds and his orbs will all be exposed.

AniHawk

MadOdorMachine said:
Metroid Prime Samus
Samus_sans_helmet.jp

VS.

Metroid Prime 3 Samus

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/815/815894/metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070826101133828.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

[img]http://i18.tinypic.com/4zlipv5.gif

Oh, anyone notice that a scan in the
Pirate Homeworld says "Status on Metroid Dread Project: Nearing Completion."

I thought that'd make you all explode or something, seeing how everyone here thinks it's vaporware. Or is it a joke by Retro?

AniHawk

FlightOfHeaven said:
Oh, anyone notice that a scan in the
Pirate Homeworld says "Status on Metroid Dread Project: Nearing Completion."

I thought that'd make you all explode or something, seeing how everyone here thinks it's vaporware. Or is it a joke by Retro?
You're kidding, right? There have been several topics made on this message. Officially, it's Retro fucking around.

CTLance

Saitou said:
The real trick is to just focus on one orb at a time. It's slow, it's boring and it's tedious. It is not hard.
I have to agree. Horrible boss. I suffered from a Minimeltdown in this very thread because of that fucker.

8bit, if you're still around to read this, persevere.
It gets SO MUCH better (again) after that stupid boss. Trust me, I'm a shamefully inept gamer and even I killed him with lots of health to spare at my third attempt (although I was bored to tears by then). It's saddening how shitty this tedious boss fight is in relation to the rest of the game. Just grit your teeth and bear it.

AniHawk said:
I'm with you on this. Personally, I liked the Prime 1 Samus. They somehow lost all the will to make at least non-shitty humanoids after Prime 1. The marines in Prime 3 look like ugly Tron rejects, and Samus seems to get uglier the higher the number behind "Prime" gets. *shudder*

Well, it took me longer to get to this than I initially thought, but here's my take on Samus' face. I really liked her appearance in Prime. You only get to see her head, but it captured how I felt she'd look perfectly. She looks serious, contemplative, reserved, and well, the head model is just really nice. She doesn't smile for the camera or look cute. She looked professional. The only problem I had with the Prime 1 head was, it was too realistic to really match her armor. It had a little too much subtle detail while the suit was a little to computer generated clean. I'd have bumped back some of the head's finer details to match the graphical style of the rest of the game. It's also an issue of lighting. The lighting on the head was too subtle, either that or the suit just came off too bright in the shots where we see her with her helmet off.

At this point in time, Samus didn't have a set look. She never really looked the same in any game. Her model sheet was her Chozo armor, that was relatively consistent, but Samus herself never looked like the same person. Her outfit and hair color in particular went through some radical variations. When Retro designed her face in Prime, I'm pretty sure it was before Zero Mission came out. Zero Mission changed everything.

With Zero Mission, it seems like Nintendo finally settled on a particular look for Samus outside of her armor. She gained the Zero Cat Suit, blindingly bright yellow hair, and that awful hairstyle. No, I don't like the design much at all.

Then came Echoes. This time around much more subtle detail was added to the graphic style. The Chozo armor was no longer cartoon clean either. I really like the look here. Stylized but with that extra level of detail. The head from Prime would have looked perfect with the suit from Echoes. Instead, we got a somewhat cartoonie looking Samus, dressed in her Zero Suit digs. She had a "cute Asian chick" baby face that, fine in and of itself, was NOT Samus Aran. She was a "Kimmie Lee" or an "Ami" but not a Samus Aran. She just looked wrong standing there, like somebody had stuck an anime girl in a Silver Age DC comic. The word here being juxtaposed. Art styles clashed and it wasn't pretty.

Finally we get to Corruption. The artists at Retro are absolutely amazing at creating environments and aliens. Some of my favorite character designs are here, like Rundas and Ghor. Unfortunately, at this point I think they fired everybody who could do humans. Compare Samus to the generic humans and Admiral Dane and they don't look like they were quite from the same model sheet. Again, Samus is looking a bit more clean and stylized than the five o'clock shadow infested crew. We got a painfully close look at one woman and other than the oddly vertically stretched face, Samus and that lady would have looked odd standing next to each other. Maybe it's just the lighting, but aside from the first game, Samus always seems (color) over saturated. Again, she's dressed in the awful Zero Suit. It was fine on a tiny sprite, but in 3-D it could use some work. It's skin tight so at the very least give Samus some muscle tone. The lady doesn't strike me as a delicate flower type.

Probably the second best face model I've seen of Samus is her look in Smash Bros Brawl. The hair is still awful but at least the facial proportions are nice.

Rolf NB

I finally got my copy today (I live in PALanistan under the smelly rule of NoE), played three hours straight.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

60fps! Perfect controls! I really like what I see.
It's very un-Metroidish so far, except for the ridiculous morph ball parcours, but that's okay, it's an amazing game anyway. It's very immersive though. Love the design.

The one thing I'd have suggested to change is the scanning. They've (again, #2 was the same deal) made it far too easy to fuck up your own game by just swiping every room clean with the scan visor on. It's not just secrets, they always reward you for that, there's constant changes and opportunities to re-scan stuff, so it's easy to fall into that habit, but it totally counters the pace of the game, slows everything down and diminishes the visual impact of their designs.

That's not really a gripe about how the game is put together, but more about exaggerated incentives to "play it wrong".

Wanna play some more.

I was late in purchasing a Nintendo Wii, but I finally caved in so that I could play Super Mario Galaxy. Well, long story short, I finally finished SMG and let my friend borrow it, and he let me borrow Metroid Prime 3.

I LOVE the feel of Metroid Prime 3. In fact, I woulds say I'm enjoying the exploration and sounds of Metroid Prime 3 far more than I did playing through Call of Duty 4 on the xbox360. First party games for the Wii are the schizzle!

Top Bottom