• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Watched the whole thing, the atmosphere is pretty damn good.

I do have a gripe about a couple of instances of bottomless pits. They don't fit in a Metroid game at all.

Kenka

AniHawk said:
Stop speaking that Devil language.

How dare you saying that ? The first error message of he log screen is "kämpfen". Yes, a devil language word.

Dark Samus links with hell confirmed ?

Nabs

oooh maan, i knew there was a reason i woke up early.

now i must forget this even exists... i did watch a lil of 2/6 though... this game looks sooo good.

There's now a thread for the first hour videos, for publicity and to keep this thread as on track as possible.

I've also put in a link to your post you've been updating, TwinIonEngines.

pswii60

First hour looks great. They really spent a lot of time with the background music and sound effects to turn the atmosphere up a notch. It certainly borrows from many other FPS but then adds the unique Metroid vibe. I think this looks far better than even the first MP.

Christine

Mr. Spinnington said:
There's now a thread for the first hour videos, for publicity and to keep this thread as on track as possible.

I've also put in a link to your post you've been updating, TwinIonEngines.

Thanks! All six parts should be done soon.

ziran

Looks stunning! :D

Most of it has been shown before in other videos, but this is final build and linked together, so makes the whole picture much better. I love it! Especially
the ship sections, takes me back to Rescue on Fractalus on the Atari 800XL, having the ship as your haven is great.

The controls look brilliant! Wiimote and nunchuck look perfectly suited to this game. Dual analogue is complete garbage for FPS games, always has been and always will be, so it's great to finally have something more precise and the added interaction looks great.

MP1 was Super Metroid in 3D, and for me, both were amazing. Fusion and Echoes were disappointments because there was so much repetition of what had happened previously, though both were still decent games. MP3 looks like it could be the best Metroid game ever made, and real evolution for the franchise, I hope there's a new 2D game in the works to compliment this.

Overall, it looks like Retro has done a phenomenal job and delivered their best work to date and given my love of MP1, MP3 is going to be the best game ever made from a first person view point. Can't wait!

ziran

Alkaliine said:
Did anyone find it weird how Samus exited the ship twice on Norion?
Yeah, it was odd, but there were several edits in the video so I thought it was just they way the section had been put together.

ksamedi

The voice of the federation ship computer is the same voice that explains the Aurora and backpacks in the MP3 preview videos. I think those vids will be in the game and you will be able to acces computers to see the video logs or something.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait...why exactly are you all watching the first hour? I don't understand why you'd want to spoil your experience.

kizmah

WOW. I just watched the first part. Not sure I wanna see more but man, it looks incredible. How the fuck am I supposed to wait another two months?

ksamedi

dark10x said:
Wait...why exactly are you all watching the first hour? I don't understand why you'd want to spoil your experience.

Like i said in the other thread, go ahead and watch them, there are practically no spoilers because Nintendo already showed a big chunk of that first hour.

Haunted

dark10x said:
I'm not touching these vids with a ten foot pole. As of now, I'm officially out of MP threads altogether.

bailout.jpg

dark10x said:

I did a small check before watching the videos and quickly realised there is absolutely no harm in watching these vids - simply for the fact that 90% of this we have seen already.

ksamedi said:
Like i said in the other thread, go ahead and watch them, there are practically no spoilers because Nintendo already showed a big chunk of that first hour.

I still don't see the point of watching the complete experience of the first hour in the game. There's no big spoiler like *omg kraid in the game* but it still spoils the experience in some way.

Meta-Knight said:
I still don't see the point of watching the complete experience of the first hour in the game. There's no big spoiler like *omg kraid in the game* but it still spoils the experience in some way.

OMG Kraid's in the game? :0

_PsiFire_

Meta-Knight said:
Seeing the first hour of a 30+ hour game does no harm IMO - especially since we've seen 90% of what's in the first hour with E3 demos and what not.

Now if there was a video showing the first hour of Bioshock which is only a ~15 hour game (I've seen some people who say they've beaten it at around 13 hours of play time) then that'd be much worse.

HandMeDownClown

Neo Member
ksamedi said:
The voice of the federation ship computer is the same voice that explains the Aurora and backpacks in the MP3 preview videos. I think those vids will be in the game and you will be able to acces computers to see the video logs or something.
It's also a different voice than the one that was in the E3 demo.

And I definitely got chills when hearing the Metroid chime when Samus gets off the gunship. Chills. I always do. It's such a simple little theme, but I love it.

Aren't these videos seriously violating Nintendo's embargo? I'm not complaining or anything, but someone could be in deep shit over these, legally speaking.

HandMeDownClown said:
It's also a different voice than the one that was in the E3 demo

I noticed that. And is it just me, or is Samus' face (in particular the eyes) looking better than it did at E3? I recall a lot of people thinking her eyes looked terrible. It looked like they had been improved to me - of course, might just be a trick of the video quality.

HandMeDownClown

Neo Member
Alkaliine said:
I noticed that. And is it just me, or is Samus' face (in particular the eyes) looking better than it did at E3? I recall a lot of people thinking her eyes looked terrible. It looked like they had been improved to me - of course, might just be a trick of the video quality.
They did. I just compared the two (I have the E3 video off of IGN) and they don't look quite as painted on. Also, they thinned out her eyebrows quite a bit and cut down on what appeared to be a heavy amount of black eyeliner.

I wish the person playing it would have used the Expert controls. I think it's been established by now that it's the absolute best way to play the game.

HandMeDownClown said:
They did. I just compared the two (I have the E3 video off of IGN) and they don't look quite as painted on. Also, they thinned out her eyebrows quite a bit and cut down on what appeared to be quite a bit of black eyeliner.

I wish the person playing it would have used the Expert controls. I think it's been established by now that it's the absolute best way to play the game.

Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping it wasn't just me.

I'm also disappointed by the lack of expert controls in this video. Doesn't give a true indication of how good the controls are. Oh well, they still look pretty great in this video.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
That was fucking awesome. The production values, presentation, and polish are way up there. I just LOVE all the interaction with the ship at the beginning.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
This video increased by hype of this game from near 0 to a very high level. Extremely polished, and unlike most people here, the interaction segments dont turn me off.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Alkaliine said:
Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping it wasn't just me.

I'm also disappointed by the lack of expert controls in this video. Doesn't give a true indication of how good the controls are. Oh well, they still look pretty great in this video.
I would imagine the default controls are actually better for most people.

Damn! I wanna see more!

It looks really really good... it was a bit frustrating watching whoever it was play though. Especially when they went back on themselves a little, messed with all the buttons in the ship, closed the window (and didnt open it again)... and later on Norion when they went in the ship to save when they didn't have to. But that just shows it was a genuine first play through. And that considered, he took to the controls really well I suppose.

I can't wait to see more.

Zozz

Banned
sevenchaos said:
My theory is the beginning acts more FPS than Metroid to pull in all the FPS gamers. Once you get in to the meat it will play like the games we all know and love. In the end converting the masses.
I thought so aswell and with the demos they will have at EB and GS, this will go into effect well.

As I posted a couple of pages back, I've been playing Super Metroid on my SNES to aid in the hype effort...

I got to Ridley in Norfair last night, but went into the battle without enough ammo and energy, so I died. I'd saved not long before, and it was late, so I just turned the system off and went to bed.

Today I got up, turned it on and my slot just read "No data". What the fuck? I ejected the cart, blew on it, reinserted and tried again. No data. NOOOOOOOOOoooooo........ Anyway, I just started a new game immediately and began rushing through the game. I beat it in 3 hours. How people can do it in one hour I don't know!

supermetroid.jpg

My item rate took a hit though because of the save data loss. I just couldn't be bothered finding everything.

Is it possible the cartridge's battery is going?

Next up: Metroid Prime 2

Linkhero1

radioheadrule83 said:
As I posted a couple of pages back, I've been playing Super Metroid on my SNES to aid in the hype effort...

I got to Ridley in Norfair last night, but went into the battle without enough ammo and energy, so I died. I'd saved not long before, and it was late, so I just turned the system off and went to bed.

Today I got up, turned it on and my slot just read "No data". What the fuck? I ejected the cart, blew on it, reinserted and tried again. No data. NOOOOOOOOOoooooo........ Anyway, I just started a new game immediately and began rushing through the game. I beat it in 3 hours. How people can do it in one hour I don't know!

My item rate took a hit though because of the save data loss. I just couldn't be bothered finding everything.

I played halfway through the game and the same thing happened to me :( I really can't wait for it to come on the VC. I was really disappointed that my data erased and I was pissed off the entire week.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
radioheadrule83 said:

One hour isn't too difficult. You just have to sequence break a lot, and I think sequence breaking is far easier in this game than it is the 3D ones. Some of the stuff in Prime scares me. Zero Mission is probably the easiest to sequence break thanks to the mindless nature of the infinite bomb jumping. It doesn't take any timing.

Anyway, I think save files have disappeared from my cart too.

Top Bottom