• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Frillen said:
Someone over at Retro Studios is going to get killed if they make this like a Wii version of Hunters. The sad thing is that it actually DOES look like a Wii version of Hunters.

1. It has Hunters (and they are represented in the same way as in MP:Hunters)
2. Different planets
3. The videos uptil now shows lots of shooting, but not so much puzzles & exploring

I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but I couldn't stand Hunters on the DS. It was such a huge disappointment for me. So if Retro is making the third and final Prime game just like the DS version, I'm going to be a sad guy :p

Hunters was a multiplayer game first and foremost, Prime 3 is a single player only game. Hunters was not made by Retro. Prime 3 is made by Retro, which have made two excellent Metroid games that stay true to the series while moving it forward. Why dont people trust Retro?

Dubbs

Banned
Windu said:
Well considering that the Wii itself is a slight improvement over the Gamecube graphically and the fact that the Prime games were some of the best looking games on the system, there really isn't much more they can do.

Yea exactly. The whole Wii philosophy(gameplay over graphics) kind of hurt the Metroid Prime franchise. A big part of the draw of the original prime was that is was so pretty and played so well at that time. It's just going to play well this time around with no significant extra pretty. Imagine prime 3 with ps3 graphics.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeed said:
Hunters gets a lot of shit, but what exactly was so horrible about it? Okay, the case can be made that it's not "Metroid", but not being a Metroid elitist myself, that didn't bother me at all. Objectively it's a thoroughly enjoyable DS game, and probably the best handheld shooter ever.

I know you didn't ask me but...

It was really ugly (yes, I know, probably top of DS 3D... but that doesn't equal good) played like a poor man's Quake with significantly worse level design, had really awkward controls that never quite felt right no matter how you shifted your hands or changed the layout, and the single player game was basically an uninspired by-the-numbers affair without anything that actually makes the Metroid franchise good.

That said, I doubt Metroid Prime III will be ANYTHING like that... the features, gameplay and design seem all in line with a phenomenal game :D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119261&page=83

Wii Screenshot Thread said:
Metroid Prime 3

210093213020070812040954.jpg

101964453720070812041004.jpg

86102352520070812041047.jpg

6008639620070812041058.jpg

113419773520070812041123.jpg

145056804220070812041132.jpg

141681028620070812041019.jpg

133872956820070812041031.jpg

59062090520070812041148.png

142817640120070812041207.png

110814082420070812041216.png

200002904220070812041226.png

37851712520070812041247.png

131530721520070812041259.png

Looking DAMN good!!

zbarron

BrandNew said:
The boost ball guardian was NOTHING compared to the allmighty fuckhard PAIN that was caused by the spiderball guardian. Holy shit that was annoying.
The Spiderball Gaurdian is where I am right now. I have a feeling that most of the people that say they hated Echoes simply found it too difficult.

SOLDIER said:
I was wondering if I could ask a few questions:

3. Does Prime 3 have widescreen support?
Yes. And the first 2 prime games look great on my 720p LCD, so you shouldn't be worried.

Amir0x

Banned
M3d10n said:
<hd troll>
blablahbla... 480p... blahblahblahblah... no self shadowing... blablahbla... no mucous normalmaps on everything... blahblahblahblah... not brown.
</hd troll>

you know... for a HD troll imitation, almost nothing in that quote (except the 480p part) is related to what an HD Troll would complain about :lol

Dubbs said:
Yea exactly. The whole Wii philosophy(gameplay over graphics) kind of hurt the Metroid Prime franchise. A big part of the draw of the original prime was that is was so pretty and played so well at that time. It's just going to play well this time around with no significant extra pretty. Imagine prime 3 with ps3 graphics.
This post drips with fail.

hobbitx

Dubbs said:
A solid entry instead of a next gen re-envisioning like all the other popular franchises are getting and people wonder where all the hype went. I'll definitely get this, but the lack of excitement isn't surprising. I think another Zelda is about the only thing that would seriously get people going crazy again.

Sanjuro

I want to make sure I'm not alone. I'm pumped to just hear the title screen music. The last two for Prime and Prime 2 were heavenly. Anyone else agree?

Just got the Phazon suit and have about four artifacts. At this rate I can blow through Prime and Echoes before Super hits in a week. I love pre-Metroid hype.

I want to make sure I'm not alone. I'm pumped to just hear the title screen music. The last two for Prime and Prime 2 were heavenly. Anyone else agree?
i got addicted on the title screen music, i press - then + when the music finish i do it again and again T.T
when should the new videos show?!

I haven't been keeping up. Any indication of whether or not environmental puzzles got a good amount of developmental focus? I'm a little afraid that the emphasis on combat will detract from everything else.

Windu

Battersea Power Station said:
I haven't been keeping up. Any indication of whether or not environmental puzzles got a good amount of developmental focus? I'm a little afraid that the emphasis on combat will detract from everything else.

Yeah there will still be many puzzles, from what I have heard is that the puzzles are some of the most difficult and best in the prime trilogy. If you havent kept up with it that much and only watched the trailers then I can see how you could get worried. I think the reason why they are showing off the combat instead of puzzles in the trailers is:

1.) They want to show what the wii-mote can do for FP games.
2.) The trailers are short and it would be hard to show a long and complex puzzle and have the audience understand what is going on. (by the way you rarely see all the cool puzzle stuff in the Zelda trailers and they have plenty of those.)

But yeah I believe they are still putting a huge emphasis on puzzles. With their dedication to making this a single player only game it kinda confirms it.

edit: and to ease your worries I found this post on Shacknews from a Retro developer. Find the below text here.

Jack Mathews said:
Or maybe it's that shooting is what makes for good movies, and the sum of the game can't be defined by the pre-press? Maybe?
which was in response to this post.

pillzer said:
I like Metroid Prime less and less.. Now it's all about the shooting, and the strong exploration aspect and the sense of lonelyness of the first episodes of the series is totally gone. :(
Soon it'll end up being 'God of War in space'. :*(

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
one of the games i got a wii for.

will be my first prime game... just gonna wait till after i beat zelda and re4

Windu

PeaceDevil said:
i got addicted on the title screen music, i press - then + when the music finish i do it again and again T.T
when should the new videos show?!

The prime games have the best menu screens in recent memory.

Dubbs said:

Hey look, we got an emissary from "teh wiis graphix suk" contingent!

Haven't we known for well over a year now what the hardware is capable of? So why are we still getting these "imagine if..." posts even when we're looking at a game that looks great given the limitations of the hardware. It's fucking tiresome.

Windu

jaundicejuice said:

Haven't we known for well over a year now what the hardware is capable of? So why are we still getting these "imagine if..." posts even when we're looking at a game that looks great given the limitations of the hardware. It's fucking tiresome.

People still think that there is a magical chip inside that makes it twice as powerful and all they need to do is flip the switch. Pikmin can only do so much :(

Sanjuro

Alright music time. Anyone know of any remixes of MP2 title screen? I declare anything of worth shall be posted here.

Tenbatsu

jaundicejuice said:

I think the Wii is even more capable of displaying visuals of wats out in the market now. Its really depends on the developers whether they wanna do it not.

This really brings mi bak the memories between SEGA n NINTENDO during the old times where Nintendo used Donkey Kong Country to showcase wat u can do with a 16bit console.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Costanza said:
I'm still on the fence about buying this. Never played a Metroid game before, but I would like a new Wii game. I'm sorta worried about not understanding the story.

jist (METROID PRIME 1 & 2 SPOILERS):

mp 1:

samus follows ridley to talon IV, the home planet (i think) of the chozo, which was mysteriously poisoned and destroyed. you later find out that the cause of this was phazon which the space pirates were already harvesting when samus arived on talon. the source of the phazon is metroid prime which landed on talon via a meteor a long time ago. after finding this all out you take out the pirate ops, and fight metroid prime. after beating prime he removes the phazon suit from samus and later revives him self as dark samus. samus escaped before that so we dont know whether or not she knows for sure that dark samus is metroid prime... though its really obvious.

mp 2:

im gunna skip the side story since thats resolved when you beat the game. trilogy wise, heres what happens: samus encounters dark samus and space pirates on aether. f's them both up a lil and leaves.... but metroid prime revives again as dark samus... somehow. also, dark samus harvests phazon for strength which is strange such metroid prime used to poop out phazon before the change of body. if anyone knows why this is lemme know. also, aether has phazon spread around but i dont know why... some of it makes sense since space pirates started using it to run their stuff and power up their dudes but some is deposited in abandoned plateaus and in luminoth structures.

if i missed or screwed up anything, lemme know.

Dubbs said:
oh ok, so YOU wouldn't like a gorgeous looking prime eh? ok sir.
Maybe he doesn't want a 500/600 bucks console? Who knows?

MP3 looks gorgeous enough for me. I prefer 60 FPS goodness with less bells and whistles over jerky "around 30 FPS most of the times" FP games any day.

Sure MP would look better on PS3 or 360 but you could say that about any PS3/360 game in regards to a gaming PC so this argument really leads nowhere.

Costanza

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
jist (METROID PRIME 1 & 2 SPOILERS):

mp 1:

samus follows ridley to talon IV, the home planet (i think) of the chozo, which was mysteriously poisoned and destroyed. you later find out that the cause of this was phazon which the space pirates were already harvesting when samus arived on talon. the source of the phazon is metroid prime which landed on talon via a meteor a long time ago. after finding this all out you take out the pirate ops, and fight metroid prime. after beating prime he removes the phazon suit from samus and later revives him self as dark samus. samus escaped before that so we dont know whether or not she knows for sure that dark samus is metroid prime... though its really obvious.

mp 2:

im gunna skip the side story since thats resolved when you beat the game. trilogy wise, heres what happens: samus encounters dark samus and space pirates on aether. f's them both up a lil and leaves.... but metroid prime revives again as dark samus... somehow. also, dark samus harvests phazon for strength which is strange such metroid prime used to poop out phazon before the change of body. if anyone knows why this is lemme know. also, aether has phazon spread around but i dont know why... some of it makes sense since space pirates started using it to run their stuff and power up their dudes but some is deposited in abandoned plateaus and in luminoth structures.

if i missed or screwed up anything, lemme know.
Thanks dude, story actually sounds pretty cool. I'll probably pick it up and get the first 2 whenever I finally go buy a GC controller and memory card.

ant1532

Banned
I can't stress it enough but for all those who want to know the official story on Samus and the beginning of Metroid read the volumes. They ain't no interpretation from some random dude but actually written by the writers on Zero Mission and Fusion.

Check it out

Windu

Rindain said:
Are the two additional videos up yet? It's 08/13 now on the east coast...

Nope, and besides Nintendo's headquarters is in Redmond, they are most likely going by that time. I doubt it would update at midnight anyway.

jepense

zbarron said:
The Spiderball Gaurdian is where I am right now. I have a feeling that most of the people that say they hated Echoes simply found it too difficult.
I've never understood that people find the spider gardian difficult. Boost guardian I can still believe since that guy actually managed to kill me once, but spidey is basically just a puzzle.

Christine

-COOLIO- said:
aether has phazon spread around but i dont know why...

Because it got hit with a Phazon meteor,
a.k.a. Leviathan in the MP3 PR material
just like Tallon IV. The Luminoth tried using their technology to stop it from hitting Aether but they were unsuccessful - however their attempt did alter the effects of the impact, splitting Aether into two pocket dimensions. All of the Phazon is in Dark Aether.

Dubbs

Banned
jaundicejuice said:

I know the limitations which is exactly my point. I'm not saying the developers aren't tapping into the Wii's limitations because I'm pretty sure Retro Studios is utilizing Wii's power the best they can. I'm not dowing Wii, I'm just saying that the Metroid Prime franchise in my eyes needed the graphical overhaul (more than lets say a SSB or Super Mario) because it was so pretty on the Gamecube and it has that technological/futuristic style....and seeing it now kinda sucks because it hasn't graphically evolved much. I'm not trolling, I'm not a graphics whore, I'm not a nintendo hater. I have no doubts that metroid prime will be a great game either. Just stating the REAL.

It kind of goes with the Metroid tradition too. You know like jump from Metroid I to Super Metroid to Prime.

Rindain

Banned
Windu said:
Nope, and besides Nintendo's headquarters is in Redmond, they are most likely going by that time. I doubt it would update at midnight anyway.

Gotta go to bed soon...might not een be able to make it till midnight. Hopefully they'll be up tomorrow morning.

Hope we see some impressions soon too. I think I remember reading that review copies would be arriving this week.

Top Bottom