• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

Zeed

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
jist (METROID PRIME 1 & 2 SPOILERS):

also, dark samus harvests phazon for strength which is strange such metroid prime used to poop out phazon before the change of body. if anyone knows why this is lemme know.
If I recall correctly, Metroid Prime is actually not the direct source of the Phazon, but rather arrived with the Phazon meteor that crashed upon Tallon IV. Instead of producing Phazon it grows stronger by consuming enormous quantities of it, as detailed in the Pirate Logs. It is heavily drawn to Phazon, breaking out of cryo-stasis when it sensed the substance nearby after the Pirates had captured it. Because of a innate genetic flaw, and its constant Phazon consumption, it is able to assimilate and incorporate inorganic technologies into its being. This is how it absorbs Pirate weaponry in the first game and turns it on you, and later how it steals Samus' suit in order to become Dark Samus. It got blown up at the end of Echoes, but managed to reform itself from energy particles. In conclusion, Metroid Prime (aka. Dark Samus) is one bad ass motherfucker and is only getting stronger as it eats more Phazon.

ksamedi

I hope the voice acting helps to explaim more of the story, i hated the scanning for story parts, thats why i never even followed the story that much.

ksamedi

evilromero said:
I hatesa to read!

Its not that, im fine with reading in most RPGs, But in Metroid you had to scan stuff to read some small piece of text, which was kind of boring because you had to remember every small piece of text you read.

ksamedi said:
Its not that, im fine with reading in most RPGs, But in Metroid you had to scan stuff to read some small piece of text, which was kind of boring because you had to remember every small piece of text you read.
I repeat my previous statement. All the important scans are retained in your logbook. So you don't have to remember. Clearly you weren't really reading, rather you were "looking".

ksamedi

evilromero said:
I repeat my previous statement. All the important scans are retained in your logbook. So you don't have to remember. Clearly you weren't really reading, rather you were "looking".

Well its kind of boring to go to your Logboook and read through all the story snippits, i read it all but to be honest i dont remember anything of the stories of Prime 1 and 2. Its not the best way to tell a story IMO.

EDIT: Arnt there any new Demos coming today for the Wii Metroid channel?

jepense

ksamedi said:
I hope the voice acting helps to explaim more of the story, i hated the scanning for story parts, thats why i never even followed the story that much.
I completely disagree. I always liked how the scanned tidbits of info were quite vague and you didn't get them in the right chronological order. It left you guessing and forced to put the info together yourself. (Of course the logbook does that for you once you find all the logs.) It suits the feel of loneliness and isolation Metroid is all about. Screw cut scenes and dialogue. I hope Samus' silly sidekicks in MP3 die or turn against you and then die (which I believe is likely to happen). :D

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Seriously its the 13th and has been for over 9 hours now, where the hell is the update for this game.

I need more hype and these two videos sound awesome, one about the story the other about spider ball puzzles. I hope Retro put in so many morph ball and spider ball puzzles you could consider them alone to be a full fledged game.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
If the update takes place at the same time as the virtual console update, it should be 9am pacific standard time, or 12pm EST. Or just under 2 hours from this post. ;)

koam

Excellent, this was better than my thread.

The game looks fantastic, can't wait. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 rocked.

Enduin said:
Seriously its the 13th and has been for over 9 hours now, where the hell is the update for this game.

I need more hype and these two videos sound awesome, one about the story the other about spider ball puzzles. I hope Retro put in so many morph ball and spider ball puzzles you could consider them alone to be a full fledged game.
Echoes upped the morph/spider ball puzzles considerably.

EktorPR

Nope, I checked that and there was no option to do so on the Shop Channel. I believe the Preview channel gets updated the same way the News, Forecast and Everybody Votes does.

zbarron

jepense said:
I've never understood that people find the spider gardian difficult. Boost guardian I can still believe since that guy actually managed to kill me once, but spidey is basically just a puzzle.
At the Spider Ball Guardian there is no way to turn back before you beat it and I haven't exactly been keeping up with getting every energy container. I've been stuck since yesterday on the last section of the boss and it's so frustrating you don't feel like giving it another try for a while.

koam

I have a feeling this is going to be the sleeper hit of 2007.

- The Wii hasn't had a mega AAA title since pretty much Zelda.
- It's *THE* FPS to own on the Wii.
- It's had more development time than Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (considering that the engine was already created)
- The Wii is far more successful than the Cube was and there are more wii units on the shelves now than cube ones when MP1 came out.
- This biggest grip, the controls, are now the strong point of the game
- It has its OWN channel on the Wii.

This is looking to be one of those, the first game was awesome, the second game was so-so, the third game kicks ass, type series (see DMC, MGS)

ksamedi

I sure hope so, this game deserves it. And they really should just put a demo of the game on the Wii so that people can see how awesome this game really is.

rhino4evr

zbarron said:
At the Spider Ball Guardian there is no way to turn back before you beat it and I haven't exactly been keeping up with getting every energy container. I've been stuck since yesterday on the last section of the boss and it's so frustrating you don't feel like giving it another try for a while.

he aint easy, but once you figure out what to do you can beat him with taking little damage. I just finished him for the second time, didn't die, didn't come close.

ugh....I feel fucking terrible!

....here I am, getting super-hyped up for Prime3 and I've yet to even finish Prime1 or Start Prime2!!!

....I've finished every Metroid EXCEPT the Prime entries (don't count Hunters...ugh) and I feel like I'm not worthy or something....

Never finished prime1 because was so sick of backtracking that by the time I got the Phazon Suit and had to track down the rest of the Runes, I'd had enough =/

....I really wanna get back into it all, but IT IS EXCRUCIATINGLY painful to replay something AGAIN once you've gotten to that point of almost beating it ya know?.....not to mention I had the ending ruined for me awhile back so that really hurts my motivation as well.......

But yeah, I have this huge mental block with playing Prime3.....I just feel like I absolutely can't with out finishing 1 and 2 =/

jehuty

Sorry guys this is going to be a long read.

The Chozo an advanced race created Metroids (Ultimate warriors). Samus is also a metroid (an ultimate warrior) and in a way she was created by the Chozo/

Why is this important? well at least to me i see a direct correlation between the Chozo and their metroids and the phazon.

How you ask? well mind you this is all speculation but heres my guess.

In Mp2 Echoes we come upon a blog by the luminoth that says something along the lines of "during our travels to find a new home world we crossed paths with the chozo, and a 3rd race". Notice how in Mp1 we deal with the chozo and their phazon infected homeworld.
In Mp2 we deal with the luminoth and their phazon infected aether.

We dont know the story of Mp3 yet but i have a feeling that it will deal with that 3rd race and that they are probably the source of all the phazon. Why would they have created phazon.

Well if you look at the chozo and the luminoth, they both created super powerful weapons (metroids, and the light orb things that protect aether) and both weapons are used against them. I think it is very likely that this 3rd race created phazon inorder to use its properties as a weapon or source of ebergy and some where along the way the phazon started corrupting its users and that lead to chaos.

The phazon meteors seem as if they are being sent out by someone. It couldnt be the space pirates because in Mp1 they first find out about it. So i believe it must be this 3rd race that created and is sending out the phazon.

Another thing, what is the likelyness that mother brain was brought back to life with phazon just like ridley was?

Again this is all just speculation. But i'm very into the metroid lore and i'm just trying to piece the story together:D

Zeed

Banned
jehuty said:
We dont know the story of Mp3 yet but i have a feeling that it will deal with that 3rd race and that they are probably the source of all the phazon. Why would they have created phazon.
I can't remember precisely where, but I believe that I read that the phazon meteors actually all originated from one giant planet of phazon that blew up, sending the resulting "meteors" pummeling through space in all directions. The question is how did Metroid Prime attach itself to the meteor that crashed into Tallon IV if it originated from SR-388?

jehuty

i forgot one very important detail.

The chozo created the Metroids to get rid of a problem (the x-virus). The luminoth created the Sun/light spheres to protect from the phazon and then the ing. Both weapons systems get used against them by the space pirates and ing. This leads be to believe that the 3rd race must have created the phazon for similiar reasons.

There is another that bothers me though. In super metroid we come across a a dead federation troop and a downed ship. Was the story behind that? Why wasnt samus notified of hostilities on Zebes after she "destroyed it".

And where to the space pirates originate from? I know they took zebes from the chozo but that isnt their home planet.

can't remember precisely where, but I believe that I read that the phazon meteors actually all originated from one giant planet of phazon that blew up, sending the resulting "meteors" pummeling through space in all directions. The question is how did Metroid Prime attach itself to the meteor that crashed into Tallon IV if it originated from SR-388?

I believe you are correct. Perhaps the planet blew up because someone destroyed it (chozo probably). On how Metroid prime attached itself to the meteor...you got me there. But i think one possible explanation is that maybe a meteor was directed to Tallon IV as an act of revenge against the chozo. Using a metroid (the chozos own weapon) against them.

jepense

jehuty said:
In Mp2 Echoes we come upon a blog by the luminoth that says something along the lines of "during our travels to find a new home world we crossed paths with the chozo, and a 3rd race".
The lore you talk about mentions several species. According to some random FAQ I googled, they name "the N' Kren, the Vlla, and the Chozo among them." I wouldn't deduce anything from this. More likely the writer just wanted to make a reference to the Chozo and made up some other names to go with them.

jehuty

The lore you talk about mentions several species. According to some random FAQ I googled, they name "the N' Kren, the Vlla, and the Chozo among them." I wouldn't deduce anything from this. More likely the writer just wanted to make a reference to the Chozo and made up some other names to go with them.

But see thats the thing. Mp3 takes place on various planets and since the chozo was mentioned it is very likely that the other two species will make an apperiance. I'm willing to bet that either the N'kren or the Vlla are actually the space pirates.

Remember that Mp3 is supposed to tie up all the lose ends hence the reason for the game larger scope. I'm still fairly certain that phazon was created by one of the two other species.

Linkup

koam said:
This is looking to be one of those, the first game was awesome, the second game was so-so, the third game kicks ass, type series (see DMC, MGS)

So we can expect MP3 sales to be the lowest of the three!

jehuty said:
But see thats the thing. Mp3 takes place on various planets and since the chozo was mentioned it is very likely that the other two species will make an apperiance. I'm willing to bet that either the N'kren or the Vlla are actually the space pirates.

Remember that Mp3 is supposed to tie up all the lose ends hence the reason for the game larger scope. I'm still fairly certain that phazon was created by one of the two other species.

I really hope Retro is thinking about all this as hard as you are, but something tells me most of our questions are going to remain unanswered.

AdmiralViscen said:
I really hope Retro is thinking about all this as hard as you are, but something tells me most of our questions are going to remain unanswered.
I'm pretty sure that across the board fans think about Nintendo game plotlines about a billion times harder than anyone at Nintendo ever does. Personally these kinds of really arcane plot clarifications couldn't matter less to me--it doesn't really have anything to do with the core elements of what make the game good, and it seems more like the kind of stuff that authors of mid-level genre fiction deal with over the course of twenty-book series.

zbarron said:
heh. me too.

expect i tend to quit trying for a few months at a time.

it's not just that you can't save before beating it... it's stupid shit like that puzzle right after the last save point not saving when you complete it, so you have to keep doing that puzzle over and over and over.

i've printed out a list of energy tanks i should be able to get and i'm going to back track to see which ones i missed. it doesn't tell me how to get them, so i don't feel overly cheap... just the room they're in... and since it's been so long since i found them, i'll be covering a lot of terrain i'm sure.

no checkpoints, save points miles before the start of the boss... those are the things that make it suck ass.

jj984jj said:
The BGM music for the MP title screens are always fantastic.
which reminds me, gametrailers did their metroid retrospective and they said that people were upset that the music was midi.

yeah *before* it came out. after the games hit i don't think i heard a single person complaining about the music in the games... well other than saying prime 2 wasn't quite as memorable in that regard.

rhino4evr

AgentOtaku said:
ugh....I feel fucking terrible!

....here I am, getting super-hyped up for Prime3 and I've yet to even finish Prime1 or Start Prime2!!!

....I've finished every Metroid EXCEPT the Prime entries (don't count Hunters...ugh) and I feel like I'm not worthy or something....

Never finished prime1 because was so sick of backtracking that by the time I got the Phazon Suit and had to track down the rest of the Runes, I'd had enough =/

....I really wanna get back into it all, but IT IS EXCRUCIATINGLY painful to replay something AGAIN once you've gotten to that point of almost beating it ya know?.....not to mention I had the ending ruined for me awhile back so that really hurts my motivation as well.......

But yeah, I have this huge mental block with playing Prime3.....I just feel like I absolutely can't with out finishing 1 and 2 =/

The backtracking in Prime 1 didn't bother me for two reasons.

1. A lot of the keys could be found before you were required to find them. I had half the set before I even needed them. This wasn't the same in Prime 2, where you couldn't collect them until later. Not to mention you had to search for them in the dark world, which was a pain in the ass.

2. The world in Prime was VERY easy to navigate, and not that difficult to get across. This is not true of Prime 2, which once again had several large worlds with only 1 elevator, and tons of different portals you had to go through, not to mention more keys to collect.

The last two bosses in Prime 1 are worth the extra backtracking. I can't say the same about Prime 2. The best bosses seemed to be in the middle of the game.

PRIME BOSS SPOILERS

Meta-Ridley was much more of a bad ass then Emperor Ing. Metroid Prime was 100 times more amazing then Dark Samus. I really hope Dark Samus isn't the last boss of Prime 3. I've fought her like 4 times already.

END SPOILERS

Mother Brain and Giant Kraid in Prime 3 would be for the absolute win.

rhino4evr said:

1. A lot of the keys could be found before you were required to find them. I had half the set before I even needed them. This wasn't the same in Prime 2, where you couldn't collect them until later. Not to mention you had to search for them in the dark world, which was a pain in the ass.

2. The world in Prime was VERY easy to navigate, and not that difficult to get across. This is not true of Prime 2, which once again had several large worlds with only 1 elevator, and tons of different portals you had to go through, not to mention more keys to collect.

The last two bosses in Prime 1 are worth the extra backtracking. I can't say the same about Prime 2. The best bosses seemed to be in the middle of the game.

PRIME BOSS SPOILERS

Meta-Ridley was much more of a bad ass then Emperor Ing. Metroid Prime was 100 times more amazing then Dark Samus. I really hope Dark Samus isn't the last boss of Prime 3. I've fought her like 4 times already.

END SPOILERS

Mother Brain and Giant Kraid in Prime 3 would be for the absolute win.
Something tells me it has to be Dark Samus, which is already a letdown. I hope I'm wrong and that the story turns from Phazon to Space Pirates. I want a classic Samus versus Mother Brain showdown. Or maybe the Queen Metroid?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I have always liked the scanning aspect of the prime games. It really made you feel like a bounty hunter alone on a planet trying to figure out what had happened. I hope they don't dumb it down for all the idiots.

Windu said:
I have always liked the scanning aspect of the prime games. It really made you feel like a bounty hunter alone on a planet trying to figure out what had happened. I hope they don't dumb it down for all the idiots.
I agree. I think scanning is critical in creating a sense of isolation.

Windu said:
Agreed.

It's smart storytelling, as opposed to the villain talking to the hero saying "muhuhuhuhuha, this is my entire plan! Have a seat while I expound it in vivid detail!"

tmdorsey

Yeah that was one of the coolest parts about the original Prime was the Pirate logs and reading about Samus from their POV.

rhino4evr said:

...and you really are right....navigating Prime1 isn't overly difficult....its just the anticipation of doing it again since I've already done it sooo many times now....

But its cool though, as I'm super motivated to do it now...also got a co-worker to play through it as well as he hasn't played through it once yet....so we'll be tracking each others progress and plan on beating it together

Top Bottom