• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force Info Dump.

PtM

Banned
It's over, Nintendo is finished. They just shot themselves in the foot. And the like.

Looks quite nice.

Whelp, my dates are all off so that makes the reason like all kinds of wrong.
But still, I'm standing by that KI:U was going to be a Metroid because of how the game plays (my only source is my thoughts). Seriously, play KI:U like it was a Metroid, but before saying that that is not how a Metroid game is, look at Other M and now Federation Force, and ask yourself "What is Metroid?"

Sorry for blowing things our of whack if I did.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
But still, I'm standing by that KI:U was going to be a Metroid because of how the game plays (my only source is my thoughts). Seriously, play KI:U like it was a Metroid, but before saying that that is not how a Metroid game is, look at Other M and now Federation Force, and ask yourself "What is Metroid?"

Sorry, but Viridi officially stated that the KI's universe and the Metroid's universe are not related at all. She gave also a dee, life-changing but also easy-to-understand explanation by stating that lalalalalalala she can't hear you. I find that very difficult to answer to.

I wasn't too keen on the game when it was first announced, but after watching some gameplay, it won me over. I may not be there Day One, but I'll definitely be there. That opinion may change as the months pass and we learn more about the story.

It's also good to note that this game is still in development and may be suffering from Nintendo syndrome, and may not be showing too well at first.

Zero²

It will probably bomb worse than Code Name STEAM.
Not possible, like no. But then again people said the same about Splatoon, so I wont even bother arguing.
Wow, is that true!?
Yeah, it didnt even chart on media create on it's launch week, famitsu gave it like 1400 units if I remember right.
Europe and US are just as bad.
any game that doesnt have Samus as the main character isnt a Metroid game
its just a lie
A LIE
The thing that interests me is that she will show up in the game, I wonder how?

Just finished watching this on treehouse. Looks like a fun co-op game that controls somewhat like prime. Can't get my head round the idea that people want to see it canceled. I get the frustration but at the end of the day it's just a brand name. It's not like we're missing out on anything because this game exists.

Nintendo doesn't care about their Metroid property.

They'd never pull this stunt with Mario or Link. Even when Nintendo tries a different direction with those characters, they maintain a quality art standard.

This game is an embarrassment. And its imminent commercial failure will turn Nintendo further away from the Metroid franchise, which upsets me even more.

moomoo14

There's nothing in that info dump that I haven't seen before in other games.

Such a missed opportunity. Could have been a really cool Metroid spin on cooperative shooting.

That's ignoring the ugly and barren as sin art style.

fhqwhgads

They'd never pull this stunt with Mario or Link. Even when Nintendo tries a different direction with those characters, they maintain a quality art standard.

This game is an embarrassment. And its imminent commercial failure will turn Nintendo further away from the Metroid franchise, which upsets me even more.
I see the Metroid fanboys are still supporting the Conspiracy Theories that Nintendo secretly hates Metroid. Next you'll be telling me Nintendo forced the Next Level Games devs at gunpoint to make the game, just like when Retro made Tropical Freeze.

Samus making an appearance huh? I don't hate Federation Force and have actually come to look forward to it now the dust has set. That being said it's certainly not a good time for a Metroid spin off.

El Odio

Banned
The focus on online coop has me worried that with most people writing this one off already there won't be a big enough community when it releases and the whole mode will go to waste.

Can't wait for this! Everything I've seen since the shitty initial trailer looks awesome. Day 1 for me.

When Federation Force releases, you should make a video of you enthusiastically opening the game like a giddy schoolgirl, then suddenly and repeatedly start smashing the cartridge with a hammer until even the table it was on is destroyed.

edit: Nevermind, thought you were being sarcastic. So you're actually excited about the game. That's cool.

You know...

This thing probably comes out in February 2016, so they have about six months to polish up those graphics.

The Chibi Destiny look of the Federation mechs is so.. weird....

But eh. We'll see how it plays. Codename: S.T.E.A.M. would have gotten a better response if it had launched with that one speed update as a day one thing.

Thorakai

It was between Starfox and Kid Icarus, Sakurai chose Kid Icarus. There was an interview somewhere that goes over this.

Hellraider

haha, no.

Zero²;169052457 said:
Not possible, like no. But then again people said the same about Splatoon, so I wont even bother arguing.

I don't think that is possible

That game bombed. I mean really really bombed hard. It was kind of depressing given it was a new IP which people always clamor for

You guys really think this is gonna be a more desirable product than codename steam? Or do you expect the metroid (lol) name to affect it positively? It's gonna flop just as hard.

I see the Metroid fanboys are still supporting the Conspiracy Theories that Nintendo secretly hates Metroid. Next you'll be telling me Nintendo forced the Next Level Games devs at gunpoint to make the game, just like when Retro made Tropical Freeze.

I never said they hated Metroid; just that they don't care very much for it.

linklarge_460.jpg

It's this years Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
A fantastic game with brutal difficulty, that people ignored because it's not Advance Wars? All while hiding behind the facade of, 'oh, but the turns take too long!' Despite being sped up a could weeks after launch. (Or in this case, not the Metroid they wanted?)

Yeah, that's possible. People like their comfort food.

That's not really enough time to completely redesign the art style.

The art style could use a few tweaks to it. Remember when they "fixed up" a few details on Wind Waker due to the response of people to the art style of the game?

To be honest, the game looks fine in motion and we haven't seen much of the Single Player stuff yet. It does need more color and variance though. More textures would be good too. These are all things that can be "fixed" before the release.

Rambler

This game is frustrating because it's actually a pretty cool idea and there's a good developer behind it but then I look at the gameplay and I'm just like "ehhhhhh....."

The Federation doesn't know how to recreate a lot of the stuff that makes Samus...Samus. Their troopers wouldn't have varia suits to protect from heat, they wouldn't have stuff like the space jump or grapple beam to help them traverse environments, they wouldn't have plasma beams or screw attacks to deal with really powerful enemies.

So how would they deal with that stuff? Even if Federation scientists couldn't just copy Samus' abilities they would still have to come up with SOMETHING to help their soldiers handle those situations. How would these four troopers get through an area like Norfair or Maridia? How would they fight something like Kraid or Phantoon? It's an opportunity to introduce fresh upgrades into the series, which has been badly needed for a while now. The premise of a Metroid game where you don't play as Samus could be really interesting!

But then you look at the game and so far it's generic mechs in generic environments using generic upgrades and it's a real bummer.

I've been saying since its reveal that Federation Force will be s solid package. Next Level Games has never made a bad game while working with Nintendo and Tanabe and this will be no exception I'm sure. The fact that it's a Metroid game bothers me a bit, but honestly...whatever. I plan on picking this up at launch.

Effect

I don't think that is possible

That game bombed. I mean really really bombed hard. It was kind of depressing given it was a new IP which people always clamor for
I really think people that go one about that the most are people that don't buy games that much but prefer to talk about them. Codename Steam also had a number of issues that caused it not to review well. Some of the issues is making it hard for me to finish the game. That and people didn't ask for a new IP from IS or Nintendo on the strategy front but instead new entries in IP they had. There is a reason they got questions about Advance Wars. Here's hoping they paid attention to that.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I've been saying since its reveal that Federation Force will be s solid package. Next Level Games has never made a bad game while working with Nintendo and Tanabe and this will be no exception I'm sure. The fact that it's a Metroid game bothers me a bit, but honestly...whatever. I plan on picking this up at launch.
So do I.

volcarona

I'll get it if it's good, I won't hold a grudge against it just because it isn't metroid prime 4, kind of like some people did against Tropical Freeze because they announced a new character for it instead of something more exciting.

Kyzon

I want deathmatch included in this game. I feel like that would be extremely fun as a multiplayer alternative to blast ball.

Silvard

A fantastic game with brutal difficulty, that people ignored because it's not Advance Wars? All while hiding behind the facade of, 'oh, but the turns take too long!' Despite being sped up a could weeks after launch. (Or in this case, not the Metroid they wanted?)

Yeah, that's possible. People like their comfort food.

Don't blame "people" for Nintendo's inability to make the game appealing. "People" don't have to hide behind anything or make excuses why they don't want a thing, it's up to Nintendo to make them want it. Whether it's gameplay or art style or marketing or presentation, no matter where its faults may or may not lie, its failure is on them.

Same applies to the Wii U, the Vita (which I adore), etc.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Doesn't look bad to me. I haven't played a Nintendo-published NLG title that I disliked, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this.

The Boat

Don't blame "people" for Nintendo's inability to make the game appealing. "People" don't have to hide behind anything or make excuses why they don't want a thing, it's up to Nintendo to make them want it. Whether it's gameplay or art style or marketing or presentation, no matter where its faults may or may not lie, its failure is on them.

Same applies to the Wii U, the Vita (which I adore), etc.
While this is true, that doesn't mean there aren't loads of times where people don't give games (and consoles) a fair chance and end up missing out on really good games.

That and people didn't ask for a new IP from IS or Nintendo on the strategy front but instead new entries in IP they had. There is a reason they got questions about Advance Wars. Here's hoping they paid attention to that.
This is fairly shaky ground. Who are these people? How do we know some people didn't want new strategy IPs from Nintendo or IS? Why is the overall sentiment that Nintendo needs to create new IPs, but IS is somehow the opposite? What about old IPs from Nintendo, do people not want those?

Balancing new IPs and old ones is basically an impossible balancing act when you have as many beloved properties as Nintendo, but whatever the reasons that made Codename STEAM fail are, consumers are actively ignoring IS new IPs isn't one of them.

B4s5C

This game looks fun after watching the Digital Event and the the Treehouse Streams. Looking forward to the co-op missions with my friends and running some single player missions during my lunch break.

Its gonna get my primed for Metroid Prime 4.

Top Bottom