• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered Graphics Comparison (Switch vs. Wii/GameCube)

Killer8

Yeah, that's not what I said you have to be at all. Sorry you feel you can have your opinion about how it's like a fan remake but anyone's different opinion must be a retarded take, got it, lol, great high effort posting there, I'll try and be more like you though I'll probably need a lobotomy for that 🤦‍♂️

By calling someone an 'arm chair art director' there's obviously an implication that you think people can't criticize the game because you think they aren't qualified enough to make any judgement.

'Armchair ____' is used as a derogatory term against people who are deemed to think of themselves experts on a subject when they aren't. I offered up my thoughts on the look of Samus suit - despite liking the rest of the presentation - and in your warped view that means I must think I know more than the art team.

So that's exactly why I ask: do you think someone has to have artistic acumen in order to critique art? And if they don't, are they then just deemed an 'arm chair art director'? Because that's what everything you've said so far suggests.

I could take a lobotomy to the brain and probably still understand all of this better than you ever could. Also nice victim attitude. People offer an opinion, you spam laugh emojis on everything, then as soon as you get pushback it's "well I guess i'm not allowed to have an opinion any more on Neogaf!"

Get fucked.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
User removed from the thread.
By calling someone an 'arm chair art director' there's obviously an implication that you think people can't criticize the game because you think they aren't qualified enough to make any judgement.

'Armchair ____' is used as a derogatory term against people who are deemed to think of themselves experts on a subject when they aren't. I offered up my thoughts on the look of Samus suit - despite liking the rest of the presentation - and in your warped view that means I must think I know more than the art team.

So that's exactly why I ask: do you think someone has to have artistic acumen in order to critique art? And if they don't, are they then just deemed an 'arm chair art director'? Because that's what everything you've said so far suggests.

I could take a lobotomy to the brain and probably still understand all of this better than you ever could. Also nice victim attitude. People offer an opinion, you spam laugh emojis on everything, then as soon as you get pushback it's "well I guess i'm not allowed to have an opinion any more on Neogaf!"

Get fucked.
By treating your "opinion" as the supreme and only truth of how it's so shit a random fan made it in a random engine with no skill or effort and so naturally anyone that disagrees and expresses it (well, go complain to evilore about the reaction system that made you go all unhinged, tell him that the laughing one is just too hurtful) is add_insult_here you go beyond an "I don't like it" opinion and into the realm of shitposting which you can apparently dish out but not take. I'm not playing any victim, I'm just reflecting your idiotic (lack of) logic right back at you and you're too dense to get it. Edit: but sure, this attitude shows I should have totally bothered to engage in reasonable discussion with you over your hot takes in the first place because you're a very reasonable person who would be totally chill about it and it's my awful, awful click on a forum feature that made this turn sour. Oh no, another evil feature, the edit button, I really should not use these evil forum powers bestowed upon us for such unholy deeds, because it's so hard to quote someone if you're honestly afraid they will actually change the meaning of their post after the fact, no, that's not being full of shit, lol.

Last edited:

Killer8

User removed from the thread.
You're so insecure in yourself that you keep editing your post every 2 minutes to hurl more shit. Not even going to reply to your nonsense any more, because in 5 minutes time you'll be changing it yet again.

Maybe after a few hours of edits you might be able to string a post with enough sense together, champ.

SaintALia

How about some of the effects that were missing from the Wii trilogy version?

Like the cool magnify effect of the scan visor. Is it in the remaster? There were some other missing effects on Wii but i don't remember right now.
Don't remember all the missing effects, but from what I've seen:

Water ripple effect. Missing from Wii version, is back with Remaster, but entirely different water effects and physics

Arm cannon heating up, giving off heat waves when you stop firing. Missing from the WIi version to my knowledge, is back here, more subtle though.

Not sure about the Ice beam stuff, but you can probably look up ice beam gameplay to check.

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder if the moderator (or I suppose they'd not out themselves so any mod in general) who's silencing emulation talk will speak up for their reasoning. I'd be curious, because emulation is obviously legal, and I'd like to have it clarified what isn't correct or relevant about using it in a comparison.

theclaw135

Banned
I wonder if the moderator (or I suppose they'd not out themselves so any mod in general) who's silencing emulation talk will speak up for their reasoning. I'd be curious, because emulation is obviously legal, and I'd like to have it clarified what isn't correct or relevant about using it in a comparison.

Keep telling yourself that. How many people dump their own BIOS to run Switch games dumped from the retail cartridge?

Minsc

Gold Member
Keep telling yourself that. How many people dump their own BIOS to run Switch games dumped from the retail cartridge?

Emulation is 100% legal, so I will keep telling myself that. Piracy is not. The two are not the same thing, and it's terrible to assume everyone who emulates pirates. I do not personally emulate many systems these days, but with my PSP I enjoyed ripping all my games through the system, then playing them on a regular SD card through custom firmware and I know quite a few other systems it was not as difficult.

But that is beyond the point - Dolphin is a very prominent and well-developed emulator, that offers many improvements and conveniences not in the original hardware (as do all emulators), and I no longer know the specifics of the deleted posts, but in a thread comparing the graphics of the game across different versions, I'd fully expect the graphics of the emulated gamecube version to come in to play, and the Switch being a less complicated hardware than the PS5 will also have people looking to see what emulation could benefit for it as well, as running stuff at 1080p or less is getting old now, and people like to run their games at higher resolutions.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Speaking of Dolphin (above), I tried running it in DolphinVR for a little while (PC + Quest2) and it was an interesting experience, although the pixellation was a bit weird looking at that scale.

SaintALia

Emulation is 100% legal, so I will keep telling myself that. Piracy is not. The two are not the same thing, and it's terrible to assume everyone who emulates pirates. I do not personally emulate many systems these days, but with my PSP I enjoyed ripping all my games through the system, then playing them on a regular SD card through custom firmware and I know quite a few other systems it was not as difficult.

But that is beyond the point - Dolphin is a very prominent and well-developed emulator, that offers many improvements and conveniences not in the original hardware (as do all emulators), and I no longer know the specifics of the deleted posts, but in a thread comparing the graphics of the game across different versions, I'd fully expect the graphics of the emulated gamecube version to come in to play, and the Switch being a less complicated hardware than the PS5 will also have people looking to see what emulation could benefit for it as well, as running stuff at 1080p or less is getting old now, and people like to run their games at higher resolutions.
While I do agree with you:
"and it's terrible to assume everyone who emulates pirates."

If we're being honest, it's not ALL, but it is MOST.

Most people simply do not have the hardware or knowledge, to dump roms and ISOs of games. Most instances of emulation(and there are a lot of instances) involve pirated software.

No idea of this 'silencing of emulation' talk though, might want to PM a mod about that to ask for their reasoning. or try and make a thread about it(the emulation comparisons). Pretty much every screenshot of the 'GC' or 'Wii' version I've seen is pretty much running on emulation anyway.

Mozza

sa0fff3.jpg

Comparison of the doors.
This guy is a total hack, and love the way he shows an original door up close upscaled, then a far away blurred shot of the new door, so much integrity..... it's astounding. ;)

Banned
While I do agree with you:
"and it's terrible to assume everyone who emulates pirates."

If we're being honest, it's not ALL, but it is MOST.

Most people simply do not have the hardware or knowledge, to dump roms and ISOs of games. Most instances of emulation(and there are a lot of instances) involve pirated software.

well that depends entirely on the system you are emulating.

ripping your own Xbox 360 games is ridiculously easy for example, all you need is a USB drive and you're good to go. no modding or anything.

install a game to USB, then take that USB drive to your PC and use God2iso to convert the installed game into an .iso file.

and that's arguably way easier to do than pirating a 360 game, which usually entails looking through sketchy websites with ridiculously slow download speeds.

for Switch, GameCube, Wii and Wii U titles it's also pretty easy if you softmodded a Wii U/Wii/Switch (which in itself also isn't too hard)

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Metroid Prime Remastered has made some good (and bad) changes from GameCube & Wii, so let's go over 8 of them!

0:00 Intro
0:24 Doors
1:24 Missing Beam Lighting
1:48 RIP Mirror
2:12 Ridley's More Purple
2:30 Making Waves
2:49 Charge Beam Change
3:08 Charge Beams No Longer boring
3:25 Samus's Face (SPOILERS)

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Honestly, it's getting bloody tedious seeing the Steam Deck users pushing piracy in every damn Switch thread.

Yes, we know you're pirating it. Yes we know it is legal to emulate in *some* countries under the criteria that you have legally purchased the game and ripped your own rom and Bios. No, you're not fooling anyone when you claim you have done that yourself and are not just downloading pirated copies from the net.

C'mon guys, just give it a rest.

nkarafo

Can someone confirm if these effects exist or also missing?

- Samus face reflection on the visor under certain light conditions.
- Being blinded by the sun in Chozo Ruins if you have the thermal visor.
- All visors having their own sound effects.
- Your hand inside the cannon being visible when you use the x-visor.
- Your hand inside the cannon changing gestures when you change the beams (each beam has a different "finger configuration")

So far i know they removed the beams casting light in the environment, the mirror in Chozo Ruins and the magnifying effect of the scan visor.

All of the above existed in the original. Tons of little touches that elevated the game for me.

Last edited:
This guy is a total hack, and love the way he shows an original door up close upscaled, then a far away blurred shot of the new door, so much integrity..... it's astounding. ;)
About 10 posts above you is a clear shot of the new door showing the same effect as his blurry shot. Not sure what your point is.

Bragr

Banned

- Your hand inside the cannon changing gestures when you change the beams (each beam has a different "finger configuration")

So far i know they removed the beams casting light in the environment, the mirror in Chozo Ruins and the magnifying effect of the scan visor.

All of the above existed in the original. Tons of little touches that elevated the game for me.
The face reflection is there, seems to be a bit stronger than before too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Looks like there’s been some confusion about our policies internally. Discussion of emulators is permitted, as is ripping games you own and so forth. Discussion of piracy or how to obtain roms is obviously not okay. I will go through and reverse some post deletions and bans.

We do prefer that emulator talk goes in dedicated threads so as not to derail threads like this one though.

OCASM

Banned

Also, is the water interactive?

Tams

Door shields were also a lot more visible in Metroid Prime 2&3. This new one is more in-line with those.
Guess he wants it to more closely resemble his work but to go as far as to say it has to be fixed is a bit much.

MP2
obstacle_bluedoor.jpg

MP3
obstacle_bluedoor.jpg

MP Remaster
metroid-prime-door-2.jpg

The guy spent months of his life working on some bloody doors. His brain is probably cooked, so give him some slack!

I'm just glad docking it has a resolution boost at least. So many games on Switch just leave it at 720p and use the boost from the dock to try and clear up performance wobbles. Can still look a little soft on the big screen but the 60fps with a little BFI makes up for it.

Minsc

Gold Member
The guy spent months of his life working on some bloody doors. His brain is probably cooked, so give him some slack!

When I read the tweet the first time, I was thinking maybe that's not something you want to brag about haha. Seriously though, to me Metroid lives and dies by its 2D roots, so I prefer a blue-er door than a more transparent/plain one.

I think the thing the thread's really shown me is how much effort went in to updating the release. It'll be great to play the game again on a portable OLED Switch, and I really hope to see the sequels re-released, mainly because I never finished them. But I loved Prime so much, the atmosphere is second to none and it for the most part looks like a nice improvement on the original without totally changing the game (which I wouldn't outright dismiss either, but this is nice).

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Must. Stop. Lurking. In. This. Thread.
Urge to buy is getting stronger and stronger.
You should. It's a weird feeling if you played before you, because you think you remember it as they have it now but looking at the comparison videos it's such an overall.

I also want to commend them on the HUD modernization, they made it now, clean and sleek, and not the bulky thing it was back then (which was good for the times).

Also texture work is really next level, esp for a Switch game.

Last edited:

Trunx81

You should. It's a weird feeling if you played before you, because you think you remember it as they have it now but looking at the comparison videos it's such an overall.

I also want to commend them on the HUD modernization, they made it now, clean and sleek, and not the bulky thing it was back then (which was good for the times).

That’s a better explanation than just posting Palpatine saying “Do it”.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yes, but 60fps on switch is rare.
So I was delighted to know they stayed with that.
Not from Nintendo though, most of their games apart from Zelda BOTW and some exceptions here and there are 60 fps... Nintendo and 60fps are two very related concepts

Gorgyles

Banned
I absolutely miss the canon blasts lighting up the environment.
I do miss a lot of the little touches.

It could be nostalgia, but the rain on the visor looks worse too.

Trunx81

Had 40€ left on PayPal and tripple dipped now. Boy is this a great game. Playing with twin sticks really smooths the experience out. Although I had to Google how to invert the view (you know, how real men play FPS). Smooth as butter, but I got to stop myself to scan every bit now, to keep the pace. Same problem I had 2002…

BlackTron

While it's cool enough to get Prime itself, I think I'm even more excited that Nintendo actually remastered a game.

My god I've been waiting for this moment for 20 years. We just may yet get a console remake of Starfox 64 or Ocarina before I die lol. If I can hold on another 40 years, I say my chances are 50/50

Top Bottom