• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns' Ending Teases the Future of Metroid (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yo, the way that memory unlocks got me all hot and bothered. THE IMPLICATIONS ALONE

EDIT

Also, I'm sure the sequence of events actually goes:

Chozo arrive.

Chozo obtain Aeion from local critters.

Chozo mine Aeion.

Chozo dug too deep, discover the X.

Chozo dream up metroids to eat the X.

Chozo watch metroids eat X.

Chozo continue to mine Aeion with the help of the metroids.

Chozo realize that the metroids mutate.

Shit shit fuck shit get out flood the labs FLOOD THE LABS

Other Chozo faction arrives. Chozo explained how badly they fucked up.

2d/10

Kneefoil

Just beat the game.

I didn't mind Ridley being in the game, but I don't think he should've been the final boss. The queen metroid you fought just before that was so much cooler and more intimidating. And really, Samus should've made sure Ridley was totally finished. Unload those super missiles down his throat, and shove power bombs up his butt.

I suppose I can give her a break since this was only her second encounter with Ridley. Or I guess the third because the origin manga is canon, I think.

I don't think the ending necessarily means that they're planning to remake Fusion next, but I can see why people would think that. It's not a bad theory. Regardless, the connection to Fusion is appreciated.

As for the theory based on the Chozo Memories, I like it. I don't feel like we ever need to see live Chozo, but I wouldn't mind it. It could be interesting to see Samus go up against the people that raised her.

Just beat the game.

I didn't mind Ridley being in the game, but I don't think he should've been the final boss. The queen metroid you fought just before that was so much cooler and more intimidating. And really, Samus should've made sure Ridley was totally finished. Unload those super missiles down his throat, and shove power bombs up his butt.

I suppose I can give her a break since this was only her second encounter with Ridley. Or I guess the third because the origin manga is canon, I think.

I don't think the ending necessarily means that they're planning to remake Fusion next, but I can see why people would think that. It's not a bad theory. Regardless, the connection to Fusion is appreciated.

As for the theory based on the Chozo Memories, I like it. I don't feel like we ever need to see live Chozo, but I wouldn't mind it. It could be interesting to see Samus go up against the people that raised her.

Technically there's another 3 encounters if you count the Prime trilogy. :p

And nah, the Fusion remake theory isn't a good one, lol. It's just a narrative link, anything else is massively over-reading.

Hylian7

Technically there's another 3 encounters if you count the Prime trilogy. :p

And nah, the Fusion remake theory isn't a good one, lol. It's just a narrative link, anything else is massively over-reading.

Ehhhhhh, I think the red 2d is something. It really makes no sense for it not to mean something, even if the Dread theories are somehow wrong. Plus the fact that they also set up what could easily be a plot for a new game after Fusioin.

Metroxed

That's because Fusion was probably made to be the end of the classic franchise. It tied all the titles together (even Other M, which didn't exist at the time) and the stakes were at its highest.

They have to start anew. A new storyline with new settings, plot devices, characters, enemies and factions arising from the foundations of the original series.

In fact, I think Sakamoto mentioned Metroid's original storyline was originally envisioned as a trilogy that ended in Super Metroid. That's why the stories of the three first games seem to follow some natural progression:

Metroid/Zero Mission: Infiltrate Zebes to destroy Mother Brain and its stolen Metroids
Metroid II/Return of Samus: Metroids deemed too dangerous, destroy all of them in their homeplanet.
Super Metroid: The last Metroid has been stolen! Rescue it, etc.

However Metroid Fusion's story is completely detached and completely new things had to be invented on the spot, and that's how the whole X Parasite came to be. It also brought up the whole Adam backstory to open the possibility of a new prequel (that we eventually got with Other M, although I have to say Adam's story is quite dissatisfactory).

random observation:

the next brand-new Metroid game would technically be the 11th non-Pinball, non-remake franchise title

Metroid/Zero Mission
Metroid II/Samus Returns
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Other M
Metroid Prime Federation Force
???
Metroid Prime 4
Primes 1 thru 3 happen between Zero Mission and Samus Returns

Hylian7

In fact, I think Sakamoto mentioned Metroid's original storyline was originally envisioned as a trilogy that ended in Super Metroid. That's why the stories of the three first games seem to follow some natural progression:

Metroid/Zero Mission: Infiltrate Zebes to destroy Mother Brain and its stolen Metroids
Metroid II/Return of Samus: Metroids deemed too dangerous, destroy all of them in their homeplanet.
Super Metroid: The last Metroid has been stolen! Rescue it, etc.

However Metroid Fusion's story is completely detached and completely new things had to be invented on the spot, and that's how the whole X Parasite came to be. It also brought up the whole Adam backstory to open the possibility of a new prequel (that we eventually got with Other M, although I have to say Adam's story is quite dissatisfactory).
I think most would rather just have Adam's death remain a mystery. IMO we only really need to take two things cannon from Other M:

1. Adam died. Don't care how, just that he died (even though his death was dumb af).
2. That's where the rotting Ridley corpse that was stored on the BSL station came from. Again, don't really care about the circumstances, just that it came from there.

The rest they can easily just drop from the rest of the series.

We never really had an explanation for why Metroids exist before Fusion.

Ehhhhhh, I think the red 2d is something. It really makes no sense for it not to mean something, even if the Dread theories are somehow wrong. Plus the fact that they also set up what could easily be a plot for a new game after Fusioin.

I didn't say the 2d didn't mean anything though, just that the X-Parasite cutscene doesn't mean Fusion remake.

Hylian7

I didn't say the 2d didn't mean anything though, just that the X-Parasite cutscene doesn't mean Fusion remake.

Oh yeah, definitely. I misunderstood you then. Yeah I think the X Parasite scene was just a fusion nod, and sort of leading into the Chozo Memories. Kind of way of saying "We didn't forget Fusion exists and how it ties to this game". It was also "This is what you just caused." since you exterminated all the Metroids.

I kind of think they were implying the Hornoad that it infected was the one that Samus shot at the start of Fusion and got infected by.

Mistle

Just 100% the game. The gallery glitch actually made my heart skip a beat cus I wasn't expecting it haha. Though I didn't understand the 2d/11 thing..

Loved the game, I hope they get to make a brand new 2D Metroid for Switch after this. I'd say the only big downfall of this game is it didn't get to the awesome bosses until the end of the game. I thought Diggernaut was a spectacular battle specifically.

Hylian7

Just 100% the game. The gallery glitch actually made my heart skip a beat cus I wasn't expecting it haha. Though I didn't understand the 2d/11 thing..

Loved the game, I hope they get to make a brand new 2D Metroid for Switch after this. I'd say the only big downfall of this game is it didn't get to the awesome bosses until the end of the game. I thought Diggernaut was a spectacular battle specifically.

There's a few theories, but one that I believe (and seems to be accepted to a degree): Remember Metroid Dread?

The 2d is in red. 2d red = 2 dred = 2 dread = To Dread.

Could also be a double entendre that Dread would be a 2D game.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
2D/11

2 Dead Chozo leaders dead out of 11?

It says 2d/10, not 11.

pYkDuCY_d.jpg

2/10 = 5

XD

I think you all are over-analyzing the red. Obviously “2d” means something, as it certainly doesn’t seem arbitrary, but all these “2d + Red =“ readings seem like a hell of a reach. Seems more likely the color is more for highlighting and/or dramatic purposes rather than a part of some word puzzle.

I think it means 2d, so a 2d Metroid. Divided by 10. 5. Metroid 5 in 2d. :D

I think you all are over-analyzing the red. Obviously “2d” means something, as it certainly doesn’t seem arbitrary, but all these “2d + Red =“ readings seem like a hell of a reach. Seems more likely the color is more for highlighting and/or dramatic purposes rather than a part of some word puzzle.

Opa-Pa

I'd think the same if the /11 part turned read too, but the fact that it's "2d", "2D" and that it's on red too leads me to believe it's clearly meant to complete a word and that the color is part of the riddle.

And "to dread" being a possibility is just too perfect.

Teggy

My 3DS crashed right after the credits and I didn’t get to see any of this stuff, even after 100%ing the game. Thank goodness for this thread, I guess lol

Giolon

It says 2d/10, not 11.

pYkDuCY_d.jpg

2/10 = 5

XD

I think it means 2d, so a 2d Metroid. Divided by 10. 5. Metroid 5 in 2d. :D

2/10 = 0.2, not 5 lol

My 3DS crashed right after the credits and I didn't get to see any of this stuff, even after 100%ing the game. Thank goodness for this thread, I guess lol
It's not in the ending. It's under Options -> Chozo Lore on your save file.

Man I'm really fucking hating the boss fights in this game. I like most aspects of this game, but the sheer number of bosses and how representative they, not to much that they have waaaaay too much HP relative to the number of them, really drags things down..

Teggy

Man I'm really fucking hating the boss fights in this game. I like most aspects of this game, but the sheer number of bosses and how representative they, not to much that they have waaaaay too much HP relative to the number of them, really drags things down..

Yeah, this was really my beef with the game. Having not played Metroid 2 before I was expecting the same format as all the other 2D games, so maybe it was more an issue of expectations vs. reality. But fighting the same bosses so many times was pretty tedious.

To a lesser extent I am more of a fan of the traditional backtracking instead of the more linear nature of this game, but the level design and exploration was still very good.

One of those hunters from MPH could be the predator-type. Or someone from Corruption. Of course I doubt they'd bring in the Prime characters to the 2D series at this point.

Just finished the game and came to this thread and MAN, the idea of us getting Metroid 5 with evil Chozo in a few years (and undoubtedly on Switch) has me so hyped.

R0ckman

This is kind of reminding me of how Zero Mission sort of hinted at this stuff with murals of Chozo in armor with spears, and how there was this weird concept art on Zero Mission's Japanese site that had no relevance to the game and never appeared, showing how Chozo wore their Power Armor and how they had like, seeds and herbs in breathing masks to make them fight harder.

ZZrE5WS.png

AmezrI1.jpg

OuPxiay.png

(also it's reminding me of how Other M, despite attempting to be some deep insight into Samus's origins and personality and thoughts, somehow never touches on her life with the Chozo or the Chozo themselves, like, at all, which was super fucking weird)

There are images of her growing up with Chozo actually, been so long since I played though I forgot about them.

Those Fusion images are also only in the Japanese version if you're playing with Hiragana.

(and before anyone says anything about content being removed for overseas editions, the Japanese version came out months later)

Drewboy64

Finally beat the game and 100%ed it. it was awesome when the 2d thing happened. I actually turned my 3D off, thinking maybe it had to do with that? Or maybe the 2d means this is where the story is going in the 2D line of metroid games?

Really strange. Metroid Prime takes place before Metroid 2: Samus Returns, so I feel like it's not hinting at that, but I'd love to experience the future of Metroid's storyline in 3D first person amazingness.

Jofamo

I sincerely hope the great reception and success of this game has Nintendo greenlight a MercurySteam developed 2D Metroid 5 on Switch. They’ve done an amazing job with this game, in all aspects. The designs, atmosphere, music etc in this are on point. Their additions and reimaginings of Metroid 2 are more than welcome. These teases are just icing on the cake.

Metroid is a series that deserves to continue having 2D and Prime style First Person games in tandem.

Arkeband

Banned
I just wanna say that the OP doesn't mention how that last image actually appears, where Memory 10 becomes all distorted and it changes from "10/10" to "2d/10", forcing Samus to quit the dashboard. When you go back in, 2d is now catalogued as Memory 11.

The accompanying ominous music and visuals were really unexpected for me and really emphasized the evil nature of the last storyboard.

Edit: oh I guess everyone else has pointed this out.

emb

I just wanna say that the OP doesn't mention how that last image actually appears, where Memory 10 becomes all distorted and it changes from "10/10" to "2d/10", forcing Samus to quit the dashboard. When you go back in, 2d is now catalogued as Memory 11.

The accompanying ominous music and visuals were really unexpected for me and really emphasized the evil nature of the last storyboard.

Edit: oh I guess everyone else has pointed this out.
The way it transitioned was fantastic. I heard 100% unlocked the gallery, but I didn't know about the final one. There was this "that's it" feeling for a sec then that really cool spooky moment.

2D feels like a hex number, but I don't know why 45 would mean anything either.

I don't know how they did it, but Nintendo cracked out Metroid lore that was almost as compelling as what Retro did with the Prime series. And the best thing is that we are going to get a continuation of this Chozo plotline in the future. Phazon and all of the Prime characters are so disconnected from the rest of the series that they might as well be non-canon. I'm genuinely curious to see want they do with Prime 4 as Retro has no hand in that game IIRC.

HYDE

Banned
If I'm not mistaken the Chozo were initially a powerful militaristic race that had conquered the galaxy with their power suits and other tech. They eventually realized the sheer atrocities they had committed and swore to lives of peace and diplomacy, dismantling their empire and returning to their temples. This could just be a group that wanted the old ways back with Metroids as the new linchpin of their military might.

You put into words my exact thoughts.

A Chozo featured game would be my dream. I am glad I waited to beat the game, before I came to the thread. How come I never saw these images and I 100% completed every section of the map? Is it tied to the Amiibos??
Is it tied to completion time???

Also my contribution to the chozo lore is this:

There are three tribes in their species...small, normal, and large types. When they developed from their ancient forms, each member had astonishing skills like quick movement while running, leaping high into the air, and flexible bodies that could uniquely transform into a sphere. Hence Samus’ suit’s ability to replicate all those features.

Imagine fighting against these fearsome foes!

AllEchse

You put into words my exact thoughts.

A Chozo featured game would be my dream. I am glad I waited to beat the game, before I came to the thread. How come I never saw these images and I 100% completed every section of the map? Is it tied to the Amiibos??
Is it tied to completion time???

Also my contribution to the chozo lore is this:

There are three tribes in their species...small, normal, and large types. When they developed from their ancient forms, each member had astonishing skills like quick movement while running, leaping high into the air, and flexible bodies that could uniquely transform into a sphere. Hence Samus’ suit’s ability to replicate all those features.

Imagine fighting against these fearsome foes!

You have to check the gallery.
You can view it after you chose the savefile, before you start the game.
You should have all of them as you said you have 100% items.

Top Bottom