• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns' Ending Teases the Future of Metroid (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Toxi

Banned
I read all of this and it makes me want to play the game more. I should buy it.
It's good. You should buy it if you like Metroid games.

There are issues like the enemy variety and the overly large areas, but the boss fights are incredible, the movement and abilities are fun and balanced, and the presentation is fantastic for a 3DS game. Pay attention to the level backgrounds; they have so much detail going on that many players would easily miss.

They should name the bad guy "Chozo Bozo" and make him a clown, and Samus has PTSD about clowns because of a disastrous birthday party she had as a kid where the clown put out her candles with his watergun disguised as a flower, and when Samus sees Chozo Bozo she freezes up and says, "The party... The party... The party!"
This sounds perfect.

Astral Dog

The Ridley fight seemed like an apology for Other M's Ridley. Samus seems kind of annoyed that Ridley is alive again, and charges head first into battle with him. There's no hesitation or second guessing from her.
That was years before in a game with basically no dialogue.
-Some- Chozo were evil. Not all. Way to be bird-ist. Jeez.
Evil is more fun annyways.time to fight some birdies

RRockman

Banned
They should name the bad guy "Chozo Bozo" and make him a clown, and Samus has PTSD about clowns because of a disastrous birthday party she had as a kid where the clown put out her candles with his watergun disguised as a flower, and when Samus sees Chozo Bozo she freezes up and says, "The party... The party... The party!"

This sounds perfect.

Then the next smash Bros is released. Samus is fighting in a parking lot with cars with Fox. He grabs an assist trophy and THIS COMES OUT:

tumblr_ov2w4odUO51rmtqwso1_500.jpg

Chronology wise.i mean they wouldn't change that much to do the Other M thing all over again :p
I'm sure Samus was having a panic attack when she jumped in the air, climbed on Ridley's tail, swung onto his chest, and blasted a hole in it. This would be the fourth time she's fought Ridley in the timeline.

The whole fight just makes Other M look silly by comparison.

And chronologically after Other M, she fights a gross abomination zombie Ridley, without even mentioning it to ADAM.

aadiboy

So with the space pirates dead, this militant Chozo group could be the new villains for Metroid 5. Couple that with the Galactic Federation out for revenge after the end of Fusion and the X probably returning in some fashion, and we could potentially have a very interesting plot for the next Metroid. Hopefully we have a quicker turn around for the next one!

Opa-Pa

Goddamn, as if the game itself wasn't already fantastic, the reveal from the 11th memory has me incredibly hyped... That transition, man, it freaked me out.

I'll certainly be interesting to see how they make use of both this thread of evil chozos being likely still alive somewhere and the Federation chasing Samus in Metroid 5... No idea why so many are expecting this to happen in Prime 4 though lol, I thought it was evident Prime 4 is going to be about Sylux in some capacity along elements explored in the trilogy while 2D Metroid will focus on what happens after Fusion?

ANYWAY, I'm very curious about the "2d/11" thing during the transition to the last memory. Surely it must mean something and not just be a random reminder that we're playing a 2D Metroid?

Evil chozo have 2 dicks confirmed?

Alrus

So maybe I'm misinterpreting things but imo the evil Chozo wasn't on SR388 initially but came after the flooding of the planet (as a "rescue" mission maybe?).

Also playing this game reminded me how really bad and silly Other M's plot was.

So maybe I'm misinterpreting things but imo the evil Chozo wasn't on SR388 initially but came after the flooding of the planet (as a "rescue" mission maybe?).

Other M was such a monkeys paw for me.

I wanted a more story focused Metroid game. I wanted to know more about the details brought up in fusion. I wanted a 3D Metroid that wasn't first person.(No offense to the Prime games I just prefer third person usually.)

And it all went to shit. They seemed to have learned there lesson with this game so I'm kinda hoping they might try again after Prime 4 and retcon Other M out.

Griss

The Ridley fight seemed like an apology for Other M's Ridley. Samus seems kind of annoyed that Ridley is alive again, and charges head first into battle with him. There's no hesitation or second guessing from her.

Totally agreed. The contrast between her Other M self and this had to be intentional. This and that fanservice moment when she blasts Diggernaut's eye show that they were well aware of what fans want her to be.

I'm just glad that this game has finally - finally! - started the healing process after Other M. It's been seven long years, but we now know that Metroid isn't dead, we can still get good games, we've got a good game to play, we've got a new game to look forward to next year or beyond... the galaxy is finally at peace.

Griss

Not gonna lie the baby metroid part was tainted for me cause of Other M.

Al i hear now is "the baby" over and over.

I felt the exact same. I have an intrinsic dislike for that little creature now that I'll never shake.

I almost didn't like how they had it defend Samus, giving her a reason to care about it before Super. It also cheapens the big twist in Super Metroid when the, uh, super metroid goes HAM on mother brain. It's not as special if it's the second time the creature has done that.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I always interpreted it as he was part of a rescue party of sorts, hence why the other one is bowing to him.

Also, I'm pretty sure that huge army of power suit wearing chozo in the background came with him in the glowing ship and are part of the evil faction as well (which is why none of them flinch at any of what's happening in front of them).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I almost didn't like how they had it defend Samus, giving her a reason to care about it before Super. It also cheapens the big twist in Super Metroid when the, uh, super metroid goes HAM on mother brain. It's not as special if it's the second time the creature has done that.

Agreed very strongly.

I liked the baby Metroid helping out.
I hope Mercury Steam gets to make Metroid 5, they did a great job here. The idea of fighting Chozo for the game is really interesting.

Toxi

Banned
That was my impression. It's why the scene starts out with a positive tone (Memory 10) before the massacre (Memory 11).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Now that'd be tits.

The evil Chozo could be the Plot of Prime 4 or Metroid 5.

I do think this plot has to happen after Fusion.

Prime 4 will be about Sylux, the Chozo thing is definitely Metroid 5.
I wonder if Sakamoto has changed his mind about Prime being separate, if so we could see another Metroid 5 tease at the end of Prime 4.

R.D.Blax

My secret hope is that they put Metroid Prime 4 between Super Metroid and Fusion and completely override Other M existence by having Adam by having dying differently in there (Like choking on a space pretzel or something). Or they can do a twist and put Prime 4 long after Fusion without explaining how all the evil Chozo/Federation stuff got settled because parallel world or something.

Prisoner

I'm so relieved this wasn't Sylux (I guess he's not allowed outside the Prime series).

I have a special affection for Fusion as it was my first Metroid game, so seeing the X-parasite in the post-credits was pretty cool. Interested to see where this Chozo plotline goes in the future.

Opa-Pa

Using a Prime game as a followup to a Sakamoto game would trivialize the "need" of 2D games though, and Samus Returns' existence obviously looks to both please fans and test the demand for games like it.

I don't think Prime 4 also needs to be set before M2, but it'll definitely be about Sylux's deal to an extent. Expecting it to be part of the Sakamoto continuity makes no sense to me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Or more accurately, Metroid continues to copy plot elements directly from Alien and Starcraft got the idea to do that later on.
Didn't most of the prequel alien stuff come after Starcraft. Starcraft copied a lot but I don't think you can lay that on it's door.

Now that I finished the game and spoiled myself on these chozo memories, oh gosh, I never knew how much I wanted EVIL CHOZO, get Mercury Steam on that Metroid 5.

Giolon

I´m so hyped that the Chozo get so much love in this game.
They are my favorite thing in the series.

Remember what happened with the Forerunners in the Halo series? They were the cool mysterious advanced civilization that came before...and then they explained and reintroduced them and it was super lame.

Remember what happened with the Forerunners in the Halo series? They were the cool mysterious advanced civilization that came before...and then they explained and reintroduced them and it was super lame.

I feel like this is a bit different since the Chozo disappeared WAY more recently in the Metroid Universe and we already know quite a lot about them.

Just finished the game on the first run for 100%..the only realy bad thing about the game were the controls every now and then.. Jesus im the drill bot fight, i literally raged because of the controls..anyway..dat 11/10 pic blew my mind.. Also, the first time you unlock it, it's "2d/11"... So.. Either a clever hint or I'm just way to deep in the hype.. I love the implications for a evil/rogue chozo factoion, though I wonder how this all fits into the time line... If they were there earlier, wouldn't MB try to contact them when she got control over zebes? So many questions.. I think I'll start another run..
I just finished 100% first playthrough. It was great. As for the 2D/11 wouldn't Metroid Prime 4 be the 10th Metroid game in the series, making Metroid 5 the eleventh? If so, then 2D/11 makes even more of a revelation I think. Or not.

Demoli

To me the 2d/11 seems pretty clear

2d in red

2 D RED

To Dread

Metroid 5: dread, lets goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

To me the 2d/11 seems pretty clear

2d in red

2 D RED

To Dread

Metroid 5: dread, lets goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
That's why Retro studios didn't include the Chozo warrior fight in the Prime game, because Nintendo revealed to them that that was the premise for a future Metroid game. And Retro Studios is working on Metroid Dread for Switch.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I've got two theories on the Chozo -

1. They arrive on SR388 and the X-parasite infects and copies one of the Chozo leaders. This could be before or after they created the Metroids. In any case, that's who wiped out the other Chozo.

2. This is a bit longer because I interpreted the pictures differently. It's probably worth mentioning that I'm not 100% up date on Metroid lore and forgot a lot of the story of Fusion and the X-parasite. Anyway, here goes:

WQBxQ6z.png

The Chozo land and obviously have some type of tech they are planning to use on the planet. This can be seen in the first shot with the blue orb. These look exactly the same as the orbs Samus gets when her powers are upgraded.

Qf9GOeb.png

In this shot, I took it that they were harvesting the Aeon/yellow essence that drop when something dies. I don't think this was the X-parasite at all. In any case, I think these first two shots were more of a scouting and scientific research mission.

CNpXV6o.png

In this shot, the Chozo start bringing in back up and machines. The scientists are still doing research (again for Aeon/yellow essence?) but now they need protection as you can see some of the local life forms are fighting the Chozo.

IqwgXvz.png

In this shot, something appears to go wrong. It could be that the Chozo just discovered the X-parasite, but I also took it to mean that the Chozo may have inadvertently created the X-parasite through their experimentation.

lC9ZQoG.png

Whatever the reason behind the X-parasite, it doesn't take long for the Chozo to figure out what type of threat they are and the Metroids are created as a response.

VUu5Ygk.png

The Chozo unleash some Metroids in a test run and it works. They defeated the X-parasite.

q3lJUNy.png

They continue on and let the Metroids fight the X while they continue with their plans for the planet.

1bZfHW6.png

Not much later they discover the Metroids are also a problem and are unexpectedly evolving and threatening life on the planet.

tbVlbgp.png

They seal off the Metroids in the lower caverns of the planet.

fzSGOCX.png

Here's another area where I deviate from the OP. I think the Chozo figure on the right just landed and has shown up to see what the heck is going on. The Chozo who are there try to explain what happened and that at least now the surface of the planet should be safe.

g6udqrH.png

This guy is clearly not pleased and decides that whatever they were doing deserves punishment by death. Maybe this was a rogue set of Chozo that set out to planet SR-388, maybe they were doing experiments that were supposed to be forbidden or maybe they just screwed up so bad it was determined they shouldn't live. Whatever happened, I took it to meant that it was something that was unacceptable to the Chozo race as a whole and perhaps they were made an example of what not to do.

How this fits into the story going forward I'm not sure, but we know that Samus was given tech from the Chozo. What I think might be implied is that Samus isn't supposed to have the tech she has and perhaps this could lead to a future altercation with the Chozo. It could also be that the Chozo can cure her from what happened during the events from Fusion.

Opa-Pa

^ I think there's no room for doubt that in the 10th picture that new guy is arriving in a ship (and most likely those soldiers too) since the ship looks exactly like the one in the first picture where the first chozo are clearly arriving to the planet.

I don't think the 11th picture is showing some kind of "righteous" punishment though, the way I see it is clearly treason. In the 10th the SR388 inhabitants don't show any fear, but rather they seem grateful that these new people arrived, and in the last, the new guy is posing in a villainous way, like celebrating or bragging off to the soldiers about what just happened.

Anyway, question: Do we know if Samus' suit is special in anyway or is it the same regular chozo warriors used to wear? I always assumed the latter.

Prisoner

Funny how the tall guy is hiding his right arm under his cloak in #10, which turns out to be a bloody great cannon in #11.

Demoli

The way i interpreted the last picture was that the young chozo, tired of always dying for the clearly inept elders, rebelled against them. In multiple images you see soldier chozo dying because of the elder's mistakes.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
^ I think there's no room for doubt that in the 10th picture that new guy is arriving in a ship (and most likely those soldiers too) since the ship looks exactly like the one in the first picture where the first chozo are clearly arriving to the planet.

I don't think the 11th picture is showing some kind of "righteous" punishment though, the way I see it is clearly treason. In the 10th the SR388 inhabitants don't show any fear, but rather they seem grateful that these new people arrived, and in the last, the new guy is posing in a villainous way, like celebrating or bragging off to the soldiers about what just happened.

Anyway, question: Do we know if Samus' suit is special in anyway or is it the same regular chozo warriors used to wear? I always assumed the latter.

The 10th picture could be them trying to evacuate, not necessarily a new ship. That's why I thought it's possible one of the Chozo could have been cloned by the X-parasite or like Demoli said, it could be a younger warrior being promoted and then immediately disposing of the old heirarchy. To me, it seems like a new ship and the main guy is being welcomed because I don't see anyone with that headdress in the earlier pics, I admit it could be a new uniform for someone who was already there all along. Regardless, when the Chozo elders are killed, everyone seems unresponsive which you could also take as being in agreement. It's why I assume that the majority of the Chozo weren't on board with what was being done on the planet.

As far as her suit goes, I'm not 100% sure, I think it's special but that it's also not the only one of its kind. The guy in pic 11 is wielding an arm cannon, so he he likely has part of the tech but none of the other warriors do. They're only seen holding spears and shields.

Doorman

I'd found it odd how Samus Returns introduces this entirely new energy source and mechanic in Aeion, and seemingly the Chozo on SR388 developed all of this stuff to make use of it in various ways, and yet it never appears anywhere else in the series after this is over. It seems odd to introduce such a big element just for it to vanish. This was on my mind quite a bit while playing through the game and it led to me theorizing that perhaps Aeion was actually the supposed "life energy" that metroids were designed to absorb and utilize. Having finally beat the game now, I realize that wasn't the case, since the baby metroid clearly sucks up and produces the normal kind of "energy" that her suit functions with off of Ridley, so aeion is something else. Now that I'm looking through some other people's interpretations of the Chozo memories, I'm starting to wonder...

I've got two theories on the Chozo -

Qf9GOeb.png

In this shot, I took it that they were harvesting the Aeon/yellow essence that drop when something dies. I don't think this was the X-parasite at all. In any case, I think these first two shots were more of a scouting and scientific research mission.

CNpXV6o.png

In this shot, the Chozo start bringing in back up and machines. The scientists are still doing research (again for Aeon/yellow essence?) but now they need protection as you can see some of the local life forms are fighting the Chozo.

IqwgXvz.png

In this shot, something appears to go wrong. It could be that the Chozo just discovered the X-parasite, but I also took it to mean that the Chozo may have inadvertently created the X-parasite through their experimentation.

I hadn't considered before the possibility of the Chozo unwittingly having some hand in the X threat, but in retrospect it makes plenty of sense. Without their intervention in some way, what would have stopped the X parasites from taking over and mutating all life on the planet in the first place, long before the Chozo arrived? Hornoads were still Hornoads, after all. So with that in mind, how could the Chozo have had some sort of impact on X's origin?

Aeion, naturally. Or more specifically, the direct harvesting and manipulation of it. Ordinarily an additional sort of energy released when an animal dies, this energy presumably dissipates or whatever happens to it under normal circumstances. The Chozo, though, developed some way to collect and harness this power and use it to fuel their various technologies (including Samus' power suit, which is why aeion naturally draws to Samus in the game). Concentrated aeion is pretty powerful stuff, given what the power suit can do with it even up to shifting yourself out of phase with the natural flow of time, so it's entirely possible that as they harvested, collected aeion might create some unnatural effects. Like, say, coalescing around a simple virus or bacteria, strengthening its ability to infect a host, thus also injecting the host with an unnatural amount of aeion in the process and prompting undue development and evolution. The effect of it on the hornoad in the game's final cinematic shows that. I don't think it's a coincidence at this point that the coloring they use in these memories for the collected aeion and the colors of the picture showing the first big X invasion is basically the same.

So the original X being somewhat accidentally borne of a mistake in aeion condensation makes it a very difficult new creature to fight, prompting the Chozo to create beings capable of directly feeding on energy as a somewhat non-corporeal method to destroy a somewhat non-corporeal threat. Metroids! They can eliminate X without becoming infected themselves, and seemingly remain loyal and controllable by the Chozo on the planet. But even if they aren't infected and dominated, the metroids consuming all of this X are also consuming a lot of concentrated aeion and, like our earlier hornoad example shows, throws a wrench into the Chozo's plans as the metroids begin to evolve. This would also be why seemingly the metroids on SR388 are the only ones capable of evolving, since it was their primary food source on the planet causing that reaction. The space pirates found out that radiation could get them to reproduce, but not evolve. At this point the Chozo on SR388 realize that the situation's well beyond fucked by now and take steps to seal away their terrible creations and get the hell out. Tough news for them, though, since apparently whoever came in the guise of their rescue betrays them. The question is...to what end?

The "evil chozo" that we see in the memory obviously didn't undo the acid-seals that the ones from the planet put together, which suggests that they perhaps just killed the other chozo and then immediately left, but what good would that serve? I think it more likely that this military-minded group caught wind of some of the SR388 group's experiments and, sensing an opportunity, killed the researchers, but kept the research.

I think that in creating Samus Returns the way they did, MercurySteam and Nintendo have put together a scenario in which we're introduced to aeion energy and some of what it can do, tying it directly to the chozo, and I don't think it's the last we'll see of either. And if all of my rampant speculation here is right, we have an aggressive group of Chozo hidden out in the cosmos somewhere with knowledge of aeion technology but perhaps not fully aware of the danger it poses, which means that the X parasites or something else like it may still be on the table in the future. A lot of possibility is open.

Top Bottom