• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns' Ending Teases the Future of Metroid (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Ogodei

About bloody time, but unless we're getting a Fusion remake, I'm pretty sure the X are basically dead as a species, since Samus basically glassed SR-388 by colony-dropping it (and if the colony drop didn't do the job, the Federation would've finished it via orbital bombardment - they may be crazy enough to try and make more Metroids, but you'd think even they know the X are not worth fucking with, but morally questionable governments/corporations aren't known for drawing lines in sci-fi).

Though, finally meeting actual live Chozo is gonna be big as far as the series goes.

Also, lul at Samus not fucking around when it comes to Ridley despite the game being supervised by Sakamoto. Maybe Nintendo is finally reeling him in?

That's the funny part, since now *this* would be the first time Ridley came back from the dead (depending on whether or not Sakamoto's considering the Prime games, which are supposed to be between Metroid and Metroid II), which officially makes her reaction in Other M redundant (if Super Metroid didn't already).

Fou-Lu

As far as we know the Chozo are extinct correct? Like if this evil Chozo thing comes to pass it would be the first time we have interacted with a living Chozo in a Metroid game right?

Hilarion

Also, lul at Samus not fucking around when it comes to Ridley despite the game being supervised by Sakamoto. Maybe Nintendo is finally reeling him in?

Why would Samus fuck around with Ridley? This game is before Other M. Samus doesn't have the same "Oh my God why isn't this thing I've killed half a dozen times still coming after me" terror she does in Other M.

Giolon

Regarding the 2nd image, I don't think that it's X parasites that are being extracted. It looks like Aeion energy to me (note that what you see are spheres identical to the Aeion energy dropped by enemies in the game, rather than the amorphous blobs that are the X). I interpreted this and the next image as the Chozo learning to capture and utilize Aeon energy, using it to power the robots seen around SR388.

It's not until the 4th image that the X parasites show up.

To anyone thinking Ridley is a pushover in SR from watching the video in the OP, note that I died at least a half dozen or more times to Ridley. I had about 2/3 of all the powerups when I fought him and I couldn't survive more than 3 or 4 hits from him for the entire multiphase battle. When the baby Metroid gave me some energy back during later phases, they would only give me a single hit of safety each.

Ridley here is no joke. I can't imagine how on point I'm going to have to be for Hard/Fusion modes.

Vena

Yep.

And Samus is seen sitting with what looks like a Chozo in one of Zero Mission's endings.

I don't think there are any clear pictures of an adult Samus with Old Bird or any Chozo. There's the various pictures of her with Old Bird through her youth/growing up, and the one off picture of Old Bird and the warrior Chozo who is probably a reinvention/renovation of Grey Voice (since he doesn't specifically ever show up beyond the manga). So its fully possible that the old bird (hehehe) passed on eventually since Samus is of an entirely unknown age but certainly much older than she was when Old Bird was, well, very old.

That said, he is still possibly one of the few Chozo left that is known to the Federation in any open capacity. Otherwise, the Chozo are generally considered near-mythical, particularly in their prime. Of the great races, nothing is really left. The Luminoth were all but wiped out by Phazon, Bryyonians wiped themselves out over religious zealotry, and the Alimbics were wiped out by Gorea and the last remnants of their civilization is eight old dudes in some horcruxes.

Why would Samus fuck around with Ridley? This game is before Other M. Samus doesn't have the same "Oh my God why isn't this thing I've killed half a dozen times still coming after me" terror she does in Other M.

I would say that Samus Returns fairly rigidly strikes Other M from the canon, more than any thing. Because Ridley is nothing at all like Other M's but follows much more in line with the Prime renditions of the otherwise 2D presentation. Its possible that Sakamato has himself simply decided it is not worth incorporating Other M and put it aside in its entirety.

Also Baby and Samus' connection to it are not presented as one would think they would have been to follow Other M. Not a word is echoed, and Samus doesn't shout "BABY!" during the final battle. Samus Returns' Samus and the presentation of her Other M just don't match any more, she just gives zero shits when she bops Diggernaught.

Come to think of it, it'd be rather inconvenient to have an immortal space dragon hounding your ass

He's not immortal, he's dead in Fusion. I think he's technically dead fully as of the end of Super Metroid.

Toxi

Banned
To anyone thinking Ridley is a pushover in SR from watching the video in the OP, note that I died at least a half dozen or more times to Ridley. I had about 2/3 of all the powerups when I fought him and I couldn't survive more than 3 or 4 hits from him for the entire multiphase battle. When the baby Metroid gave me some energy back during later phases, they would only give me a single hit of safety each.
Yeah, Ridley's a hard asshole in this game. His attacks are predictable, but he hits so hard, and he has a nasty habit of pushing you towards the corner of the stage where you'll easily bump into him.

Vena

Yeah, Ridley's a hard asshole in this game. His attacks are predictable, but he hits so hard, and he has a nasty habit of pushing you towards the corner of the stage where you'll easily bump into him.

Could you imagine a Dark Souls where the bosses damage you if you touch them? :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
what if we get to see a "rival" of sorts that is not Sylux, but rather a Chozo who uses a suit similar to Samus?

Toxi

Banned
Could you imagine a Dark Souls where the bosses damage you if you touch them? :p
Smelter Demon :p

Also Baby and Samus' connection to it are not presented as one would think they would have been to follow Other M. Not a word is echoed, and Samus doesn't shout "BABY!" during the final battle. Samus Returns' Samus and the presentation of her Other M just don't match any more, she just gives zero shits when she bops Diggernaught
I was actually thinking the opposite. Samus Returns actually shows how Samus cares about the baby Metroid and bonds with it, which kinda explains why she was so obsessed with its death Other M.

Toxi

Banned
what if we get to see a "rival" of sorts that is not Sylux, but rather a Chozo who uses a suit similar to Samus?
That would be the third of Samus's rivals to use a suit similar to Samus. And people were already complaining about the second.

At least Sylux has those bitchin' trip wire bombs.

Vena

I was actually thinking the opposite. Samus Returns actually shows how Samus cares about the baby Metroid and bonds with it, which kinda explains why she was so obsessed with its death Other M.

She keeps it safe, but no extremes of emotion. I don't think that's ever been in question and was established as far back as Super Metroid and later Fusion, really.

The bigger contention against Other M is Ridley's appearance. (And again, she bops Diggernaught with zero-fucks-given.)

That would be the third of Samus's rivals to use a suit similar to Samus.

At least Sylux has those bitchin' trip wire bombs.

She has a few, no? Sylux, Rundas, and even Ghor all have "power suits" of some capacity. Sylux's stolen fed tech (ie. crap compared to Samus), Rundas has at least the PED suit, and Ghor has the external power armor/mecha.

Oh and Dark Samus and SA-X.

Vena

Ridley's appearance changes literally every game. :p

When he's had any decent fidelity to actually *see* him with any clarity? Nah. He's more or less the same design from Zero Mission on through Prime into, now, Samus Returns. Its just Other M that sticks out (and the Smash game renditions).

Other M is a huge outlier on his design.

Well Other M Ridley is a clone of some sort of the original one. That's the excuse they can use for the different appearance in that game.

Toxi

Banned
I await the day we can finally get a Metroid game where Ridley is fully voice-acted by Gilbert Gottfried.

i really hope they'll work on new games after that... we really don't need a fusion remake, the original is already good, it aged pretty well

playing it in 3D and 30 FPS would be a downgrade to me

beside that, the lore expension is fucking sweet, would be great if chozos will be the main ennemy of the next game!

rekameohs

Banned
I said it in the OT but I am immediately more interested in the faction of evil Chozo than I am for any of the setup they've tried to do for the Evil Federation™ or for Sylux.

n128

I prefer to have the subsequent story for MB(Melissa Bergman),
she can be the new Mother Brain, consider that her ability to control other species.

also an extension of X would be nice.

At least they recognised that his Other M beak was a mistake.
otbOdbX.jpg

"honk honk"

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
That said, we've never seen a Chozo warrior in their prime in the series, so maybe they actually would pose a threat to her. But then these same warriors failed to deal with the Metroids, and she (in this very game) re-enacts Terminator 1 on 40-some Sarah Connors.
Are you suggesting those Chozo ghosts on Talon IV were all.. dated?

Griss

"Evil Chozo" as a concept you could base a Metroid game around is so far ahead of any of the federation garbage they tried to cook up for Prime 3, Other M and Fed Force. And I like it a lot more than the 'Dark Samus' nonsense of Prime 2 and 3 as well. This bodes well.

My big problem with the Chozo is that they're this ancient, long-lost, 'Forerunner'-like presence in the galaxy with ruins everywhere... but they raised Samus just about 15 years ago. I can never square that in my mind. Was she raised by the last ones or something?

Toxi

Banned
"Evil Chozo" as a concept you could base a Metroid game around is so far ahead of any of the federation garbage they tried to cook up for Prime 3, Other M and Fed Force. And I like it a lot more than the 'Dark Samus' nonsense of Prime 2 and 3 as well. This bodes well.
Dark Samus isn't the main antagonist of Prime 2. The majority of the game is about fighting the Ing, with Dark Samus just hounding you as you try to do your job again and again until the very end.

I really don't understand why anyone would have a problem with Dark Samus in Prime 2. Her boss fights are incredible and her encounters outside boss fights are ominous and well-executed. She's not the main focus of the game, just one of many great elements of what is secretly one of the best
games ever.

Griss

Dark Samus isn't the main antagonist of Prime 2. The majority of the game is about fighting the Ing, with Dark Samus just hounding you as you try to do your job again and again until the very end.

I really don't understand why anyone would have a problem with Dark Samus in Prime 2. Her boss fights are incredible and her encounters outside boss fights are ominous and well-executed. She's not the main focus of the game, just one of many great elements of what is secretly one of the best
games ever.

Dark Samus is clearly the main antagonist of Prime 2. She's the one who causes Samus to lose all her upgrades at the start of the game, she hounds you throughout the game at certain cutscenes and she's the final boss. There is no other individual you could conceivably say is the antagonist. The Ing v Luminoth war is the setting for the game and what Samus is trying to put right and as such the Ing are broadly antagonists, but they are just faceless fodder. There is no main Ing warrior you are particularly after throughout the game - no Ing equivalent to the Luminoth U-Mos. Her personal battle is with Dark Samus and that's the story of the game and the trilogy as a whole.

Also, Prime 2 is the weakest of the Prime series for a multitude of reasons, one of which is how poor the Dark Samus boss fights are. In a game with some great boss fights that stands out. And as a concept it's just a much lamer take on the SA-X. 'Dark Samus' sounds like a comic book villain rather than something Metroid Prime would have feasibly turned into. I was never a fan.

I'm really hoping they move on from the Metroid Prime / Dark Samus entity. The title of the game has me worried but I'm pretty sure it's just a way to signify that the game is a 1st person shooter/adventure.

backlot

This Ridley fight is so easy to cheese though. You can just space jump to the top of the screen and spam plasma beam on the way down and Ridley spends so much time chasing you that he barely attacks. It was a bit disappointing to see how exploitable the fight was.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dark Samus is clearly the main antagonist of Prime 2. She's the one who causes Samus to lose all her upgrades at the start of the game, she hounds you throughout the game at certain cutscenes and she's the final boss. There is no other individual you could conceivably say is the antagonist. The Ing v Luminoth war is the setting for the game and what Samus is trying to put right and as such the Ing are broadly antagonists, but they are just faceless fodder. There is no main Ing warrior you are particularly after throughout the game - no Ing equivalent to the Luminoth U-Mos. Her personal battle is with Dark Samus and that's the story of the game and the trilogy as a whole.
Disagreed. The main antagonist in Echoes is Dark Aether. Dark Samus is just a skeleton in Samus' closet, though perhaps _the_ skeleton. The really well-executed thing about Dark Samus is its progression throughout the series - from a cliff-hanger in Prime, to an actual (clumsy but fast-learning) foe in Echoes, to _the_ antagonist in Corruption.

Also, Prime 2 is the weakest of the Prime series for a multitude of reasons, one of which is how poor the Dark Samus boss fights are. In a game with some great boss fights that stands out. And as a concept it's just a much lamer take on the SA-X. 'Dark Samus' sounds like a comic book villain rather than something Metroid Prime would have feasibly turned into. I was never a fan.
You're starting off the wrong foot that DS is _the_ enemy in Echoes ; ) Try to change your perspective and you'll see Echoes in all its grandeur of the series' pinnacle.

I'm really hoping they move on from the Metroid Prime / Dark Samus entity. The title of the game has me worried but I'm pretty sure it's just a way to signify that the game is a 1st person shooter/adventure.
Don't worry - Dark Samus is gone. There are much more 'resilient' anti-climactic recurring villains in the Metroid Universe..

You don't have to worry. According to Tanabe:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

"The stories of Dark Samus and Phazon are done now," he confirmed, before adding that the series would still focus on other Prime-series elements.

Sylux's coming in to fill in her shoes.

Toxi

Banned
Dark Samus is clearly the main antagonist of Prime 2. She's the one who causes Samus to lose all her upgrades at the start of the game,
No, Dark Samus and the Ing are the ones who take your upgrades.

Which shows how both are important in Echoes' narrative. The final boss isn't just Dark Samus... It's first a grand battle against the greatest of the Ing to end the war, then a smaller battle against Dark Samus as the Ing's Dark World is collapsing around you. She's an opportunist capitalizing on the greater events.

Also, Prime 2 is the weakest of the Prime series for a multitude of reasons, one of which is how poor the Dark Samus boss fights are. In a game with some great boss fights that stands out.
What's bad about them? They're unique and nicely compliment the more slow, puzzle-like bosses in the rest of Echoes. The elevator battle particularly is one of the most memorable in the game.

And as a concept it's just a much lamer take on the SA-X. 'Dark Samus' sounds like a comic book villain rather than something Metroid Prime would have feasibly turned into. I was never a fan.
It fits perfectly in a game about traversing light and dark worlds.

In concept, the SA-X is cool. In execution, it's a few scripted encounters, a lackluster boss, and a bizarre reference to the baby Metroid in Super Metroid's final boss battle. Also the hilariously abrupt and pointless reveal that there are 10 of them.

In concept, Dark Samus is meh, because the concept was done before in Fusion. In execution, it's a few scripted encounters, two great boss fights, and a flawed but satisfying final boss.

Exodust

Banned
Where's that concept art of the cool Chozo warrior who was supposed to be a villain in one fo the Prime games before he got scrapped?

Luke_Wal

I've never played a Metroid game before, but I was curious so I clicked on this thread. I never realized the story of these games was so deep... Which one should I play first? Zero Mission appears to be a remake of the first one, eliminating the need to replay the NES one, but should I play Super or Zero Mission first? How are the GCN games on Dolphin? Can you play 3 through emulation without a Wiimote?

I've never played a Metroid game before, but I was curious so I clicked on this thread. I never realized the story of these games was so deep... Which one should I play first? Zero Mission appears to be a remake of the first one, eliminating the need to replay the NES one, but should I play Super or Zero Mission first? How are the GCN games on Dolphin? Can you play 3 through emulation without a Wiimote?

Start with Fusion or Zero Mission first as they're the most accessible 2D entries

Then go through Super, Samus Returns and the Prime Trilogy

Dolphin plays the Gamecube versions of Prime 1+2 fine enough, but you might need a beefier PC to get 3 running smooth

So I just beat the game

Is Ridley's design in the game supposed to officially bridge the gap between Metroid Prime and Metroid II? Ridley is half meta, half organic.

The Ridley fight seemed like an apology for Other M's Ridley. Samus seems kind of annoyed that Ridley is alive again, and charges head first into battle with him. There's no hesitation or second guessing from her.

Neiteio

They should name the bad guy "Chozo Bozo" and make him a clown, and Samus has PTSD about clowns because of a disastrous birthday party she had as a kid where the clown put out her candles with his watergun disguised as a flower, and when Samus sees Chozo Bozo she freezes up and says, "The party... The party... The party!"

Yarbskoo

The Ridley fight seemed like an apology for Other M's Ridley. Samus seems kind of annoyed that Ridley is alive again, and charges head first into battle with him. There's no hesitation or second guessing from her.

Other M would have been a lot better if Samus maintained "kind of annoyed" through the whole game.

Top Bottom