• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Mr. Virus

Thanks guys
I had tried the Morph Balls Bombs before but I think I was just letting them go too far away from the suction. Now I just need to figure out the fuzzy blue head phase!

If you
use the spider ball when the head isn't electrified you can bomb the 3 targets on it.

Won't lie, between the awful chase sequence outta nowhere and this damage sponge, multi phase, long winded battle the driller bot's put a fair dampener on my enjoyment. Seems like I'm in the minority regarding it though.

Simbabbad

It's not a bullet sponge if you do it right. Between super missiles and Aeon capabilities (like slowing down time), you can kill it in just a few minutes and no sweat.

I completed this yesterday, 100%, some 12 hours.

Overall, I enjoyed it though it's definitely not perfect; but the flaws were things from the original such as the lack of interconnection of the world and progression, the repetitiveness of the Metroid fights etc. I guess those issues were things you really couldn't get around with a remake of ROS as they were fundamental to the original. I do think the additions were the strongest part, especially the non-Metroid boss fights. Having said that, I hope that the next 2D metroid is an original and not a remake and also hope that they introduce some new powerups, etc. to the series as even the Aeon abilities were essentially stand-ins for previous powerups (i.e. scan visor, Speed Booster, etc).

jmizzal

Cant believe gamestop had Samus and Metroid Amiibo bundle available to ship.

And I used the free shipping code

Now i'm gonna sale my Samus Smash Bros Amiibo, its new and unopened, I was saving it hoping I could get the new one

Hylian7

I completed this yesterday, 100%, some 12 hours.

Overall, I enjoyed it though it's definitely not perfect; but the flaws were things from the original such as the lack of interconnection of the world and progression, the repetitiveness of the Metroid fights etc. I guess those issues were things you really couldn't get around with a remake of ROS as they were fundamental to the original. I do think the additions were the strongest part, especially the non-Metroid boss fights. Having said that, I hope that the next 2D metroid is an original and not a remake and also hope that they introduce some new powerups, etc. to the series as even the Aeon abilities were essentially stand-ins for previous powerups (i.e. scan visor, Speed Booster, etc).

Go look at all the Chozo Memories if you haven't already. ;)

It's not a bullet sponge if you do it right. Between super missiles and Aeon capabilities (like slowing down time), you can kill it in just a few minutes and no sweat.

I didn't dislike this boss fight but I didn't even think of using phase drift, like, damn that's obvious.

aett

I didn't dislike this boss fight but I didn't even think of using phase drift, like, damn that's obvious.

I don't think I ever used aeion abilities during any boss fights and now I feel like an idiot. The next playthrough is going to be so much easier.

I don't think I ever used aeion abilities during any boss fights and now I feel like an idiot. The next playthrough is going to be so much easier.

Honestly switching from one to the other was clunky enough to discourage me from doing it, but maybe another playthrough will help with that.

Simbabbad

I DESTROYED
Ridley
with beam burst. At first I played defensive with lightning armour, but beam burst is so much more effective.

Honestly switching from one to the other was clunky enough to discourage me from doing it, but maybe another playthrough will help with that.
?

It's easier/quicker than visors in Prime games, and I never had a problem with that.

Berordn

I DESTROYED
Ridley
with beam burst. At first I played defensive with lightning armour, but beam burst is so much more effective.

?

It's easier/quicker than visors in Prime games, and I never had a problem with that.

Mapping the triggers to the A button was kind of stupid in my eyes. It's two button presses to do a scan pulse when I could just be tapping Up on the DPad and saving a step.

That would have also freed up a button for morph ball...

emb

Mapping the triggers to the A button was kind of stupid in my eyes. It's two button presses to do a scan pulse when I could just be tapping Up on the DPad and saving a step.

That would have also freed up a button for morph ball...
Yeah, the A press for it is pointless. Just as bad, they had ZR, ZL, the entire n3DS analog nub, and select all unused. Meanwhile, they can't be bothered to add buttons for beam/missile switching or instant morphing. I get that most of that is n3DS only, but it seems like including them only for n3DS would be better than just not having them. They had so many extra buttons, they could have even added the classic style aim angles, which would have been nice.

KayMote

My segmented "speedrun" is progressing just fine, I guess. I just finished Area 3 which was obviously just huge and took a long time to get through, but after reaching Area 4 I'm still under 1 hour on the clock.

Teggy

Ok, someone just tell me the last thing I need to do for area 6 boss.
I’m guessing you need to wait for the segments of his eye to line up, but I don’t know what to shoot it with apparently. I think I’ve tried everything, but I guess not

Ok, someone just tell me the last thing I need to do for area 6 boss.
I'm guessing you need to wait for the segments of his eye to line up, but I don't know what to shoot it with apparently. I think I've tried everything, but I guess not

You
spider ball onto the circle then bomb the segments that line up with the eye. It is apparently safe to remain on the bomb locations even with the circle electrified

Fettbacke

Neo Member
So i guess the final boss in the original Metroid 2
wasn't Ridley? Well it's nice to finally have a Metroid game there Ridley is the final boss :p

emb

So i guess the final boss in the original Metroid 2
wasn't Ridley? Well it's nice to finally have a Metroid game there Ridley is the final boss :p
The final boss in the original Metroid II
was the queen. So you're right. The baby helped you do a sort of escape sequence after the last boss, but you didn't continue to play the game after that, it was just the ending.

Ridley fight in this game is super cool, but feels a bit out of place. Zero Mission gave us something close to a final Ridley as well, but not quite. As much as Mother Brain or Queen Metroids like to take the role of final boss, Ridley is definitely the primary villain throughout the Metroid series, so it is generally cool to see him get some spotlight.
You
spider ball onto the circle then bomb the segments that line up with the eye. It is apparently safe to remain on the bomb locations even with the circle electrified

Uh, the electricity definitely hurts you.
For that you can
use the aeion shield I think? I didn't figure it out, but seems like I've heard it.

Either way, there are opportunities in between the electricity to get at least one or two of the bombs in. Right when you lay the bomb, if lined up, it sort of locks in and I think you don't get electrocuted for a sec.

Joei

I have a question, is the game straight forward with progression, like Fusion or MOM, or is it more open like the original?

Kindekuma

Banned
I have a question, is the game straight forward with progression, like Fusion or MOM, or is it more open like the original?

It’s more open. It’s linear in a sense that you go from Area to Area, but there are some optional power ups and you can take down the Metroids in basically any order unless a power up to get there prohibits you.

After the prologue story bit, there’s nothing interrupting you to deliver plot sans some small action cutscenes.

emb

Best way to think of this game is as a series of mini-Metroids. You're pretty much locked into an area until you kill enough Metroids to progress, and you don't generally need to backtrack to past areas unless you want more expansions.

But within each area, it feels like there's a decent amount of freedom in progression. It funnels you toward power ups, yeah, but it often feels like you have multiple directions or paths you can choose from (especially after grabbing major items, since the order you kill Metroids doesn't really matter).

Hylian7

It's the same style of open progression that the original had. Areas are gated off by the acid until you get X number of Metroids, then the acid level lowers. Although this time they do it much better than "lol random earthquake".

However of course like others said, you can get the Metroids in the areas in any order as long as you don't need some item to get to one.

I'd say overall it's pretty open, and since the world progresses in a somewhat linear fashion, that openness is sort of restricted to each area. However you always can (and with teleporters are encouraged) to go back and get stuff you know you can. But honestly unless you absolutely need more energy tanks or something, just wait til later.

So to anyone that's gotten 100% (spoilers):

2d in red. 2d red . 2 d r e d. Is this teasing what I think it is, or am I just overanalyzing it?

Sterok

New run, 3:55:59. Close call, but I got it under 4 hours, and in Hard mode to boot. Feels as good as getting a sub-2 hour run in Fusion.
I know it's a reference, but green-haired Samus looks weird.

mdubs

Banned
I finished this tonight. Such as great game that was exactly what I was looking for after all these years of missing 2d Metroid. Really enjoyed the boss fights and mechanics. Bravo MercurySteam and Nintendo for making such an enjoyable game, I would love to see their take on a remake of Fusion

Mistle

I thought the
Diggernaut
boss was amazing. Like, one of my favourite bosses in awhile. Great use of all of Samus' abilities and was a good challenge. I didn't think to use aeon abilities either! D:

The only downside is it made me wish there were more awesome bosses in the game if that's what the developers are capable of :( i haven't played passed it yet so there may be more, but I feel like I'm nearing the end. missed opportunity. some of the metroid fights are decent but nothing compared to that proper boss.

forrest

formerly nacire
The environment backgrounds in this game are so fucking great. There are so many awesome details and I can't believe how much the 3d really adds to the overall spatial effect or volume of the screen space.

mrkgoo

The environment backgrounds in this game are so fucking great. There are so many awesome details and I can't believe how much the 3d really adds to the overall spatial effect or volume of the screen space.

I've always thought the best use of the 3D effect is, strangely enough, in 2D games, where the layers make things really pop.

Remember NSMB2, where the background also blurred on a gradient depending on how you moved the slider? It was ace.

Anyway, I went back and mopped up the last 5% items I had. game is solid overall. Really great engine, and i love the new abilities.

However, scan pulse kind of ruins the exploration, and the level design is not even close to Super or Zero.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Believe it or not, but a big reason for me to eventually replay this, is to pay attention to the backgrounds again. There's so much going on in them, love that attention to detail.

1 more Metroid to go... This game has really surprised me. I have been HOOKED. It's taken the no.1 spot for average session playtime in my activity log and I've had a 3DS since launch.

Having never played one, I guess I am a now a 2D Metroid fan. I've already bought Super Metroid to have for pudding!

Pikma

Banned
1 more Metroid to go... This game has really surprised me. I have been HOOKED. It's taken the no.1 spot for average session playtime in my activity log and I've had a 3DS since launch.

Having never played one, I guess I am a now a 2D Metroid fan. I've already bought Super Metroid to have for pudding!
Damn, you're so lucky, I wish I could experience Super Metroid for the first time again

GenG3000

However, scan pulse kind of ruins the exploration, and the level design is not even close to Super or Zero.

Scan pulse doesn't ruin exploration more than the map stations do in other games. Its area of effect is limited and costs energy, although I would have increased its cost up to the current double.

R0ckman

I actually don't like when they keep adding "the main villain" into games, hate it when they have to add Ganon into more Zelda, etc. Gets too Wile E. Coyote for me and it devalues the villain in my opinion. Already hardly take Ganon more seriously than Bowser,
Ridley
is on his way too.

Vaenyr

Holy shit! I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but you can interrupt
the Queen Metroid's attacks with the spider ball/power bomb combo! Saved my ass in the later phases when she spams the green energy balls with the flames.

ramparter

Banned
You know what I love aboit this game? Started it this morning before leaving for work, played like 40 minutes and got beam charge, morph ball, scan pulse and an extra energy tank. Most games nowadays would still be holding my hands through the tutorials after 40 minutes.

Love the ability to target wherever I want and the counter.

Anteo

So should you backtrack and get 100% before the final boss?

Hard to answer.
Spoilers:
you could do that. But you need all items.
There is a item that doesnt show on the ui that is required if you want to get 100%.

You will know when you get it, sadly if you read this you will realize there is one more boss after getting that item.

Morts

I was too lazy to get the amiibo off the shelf to unlock Fusion mode so I started regular Hard mode. Is there a difference asi we from the suit?

Top Bottom