• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Got this game at launch and I've been playing it during pretty much all of my commutes since. I'm about 10-11 hours in and I can definitively say that this is my favorite 2D Metroid thus far. It gets better and better and better and never lets up, god damn.

Aesnath

Worth mentioning that, as I near the end of the game, I feel like it gets better as it goes along. Also, liking the bosses.

Opa-Pa

Believe it or not, but a big reason for me to eventually replay this, is to pay attention to the backgrounds again. There's so much going on in them, love that attention to detail.

Tell me about it. I had to pause my Fusion replay because while I initially wanted to get an under 4 hour bonus, I'm too tempted to just wander around appreciating the details I missed the first time, haha.

Gigglepoo

I shifted to Steamworld Dig 2 for a week and now I have a dumb question: How do I destroy these blocks!?

uQjmXTj_d.jpg

Golnei

The use of Lower Norfair before getting the Varia Suit almost made me reconsider their decision to bring it back - the sense of dread when entering a heated room and turning around to exit was enhanced by having a familiar music cue to push through the association. But the actual arrangement playing once you could freely explore those areas ended up not working quite as well, even if it is still a great piece and a decent arrangement.

It feels kind of nitpicky to criticise the music when it is, broadly speaking, good - the soundtrack generally fits its purpose and there haven't been any tracks which actively harmed the atmosphere the game was attempting to build. But the music doesn't really elevate it much either; or add personality and identity to the game's environments - I don't think the Super Metroid remixes would stick out as much if they were accompanied by more distinctive original music.

forrest

formerly nacire
Finished this last night with 100%. Such a great game and huge Kudos to Mercury Steam for nailing not only a competent entry, but an entry that easily sits in the top tier of 2d Metroid games imo.

My largest complaint regarding the experience is probably the large scale boss encounters and pacing. While the smaller metroid encounters gradually ramp up into tougher versions it wasn't until the
Diggernaut
boss that I really thought the encounter design was starting to touch on the levels of some of Prime's bosses in terms of ability use and incorporation throughout the fight. It's always nice when Samus' tool set is given thoughtful and creative consideration. After that the remaining large scale bosses came quite quick and were a bit of a let down overall. There isn't much to say other than they just weren't as creative or nearly as fun.

I agree each area not having it's own iconic theme, distinct color palette or even a name hurts the game's ability to give weight and character to the separated zones. However, there is cohesion within each area as one section transitions to another sharing small components to signify a gradual exchange in environment. I also think there is such a large variation of backgrounds and scene setting at play within each area, that you often feel that the area itself loses a bit of a larger identity. Maybe, more signature audio tracks for each area consistently present, despite whatever atmosphere the background elements and design were setting, would go a long way towards creating a sense of identity for each area.

On a parting note, I'll only say that the hardware form factor really hampered my overall enjoyment and I'll certainly levy those complaints separate from the software itself. Coming in and out of morph ball with the thumb slider was often clumsy and the ability to use the touch screen wasn't really a great alternative as you have to relinquish control to do so. I think one of the reasons it took me so long to complete the game, was that I couldn't play for extended periods without thumb/hand cramps or even fingers going numb. This was all with a Circle Pad Pro in place to help give some extra heft to the unit.

Anyhow, I absolutely loved the game overall and I'm glad we have a new 2d metroid to enjoy (Prime is still my favorite followed by Super)!

Mr-Joker

Banned
standard metroid color coding

red = m
green = sm
yellow = pb

I am sorry but in past Metroid games it was clear what item you need to break blocks, in Samus return it's just confusing as they are not clearly highlighted or just looks different for no reasons.

At one point, Samus gets a new gun that can shoot candy. It was kind of weird, but it works I guess.

So I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Appleman

This game is awesome, can’t believe it’s taken Nintendo this long to do a 2.5D Metroid.

Actually kinda makes me wish Retro was working on a big time 2.5D Metroid on Switch

Berordn

I am sorry but in past Metroid games it was clear what item you need to break blocks, in Samus return it's just confusing as they are not clearly highlighted or just looks different for no reasons.

I mean... it kinda looks like a power bomb still? The colors are the primary thing and they're using the same as the series always has since Super Metroid. The first time I ran across one of those blocks I knew exactly what it was for.

mrkgoo

The third floor of
that chase sequence
is getting on my nerves. I don't have enough time to get through the spider ball sequence.

The chase sequence really wasn't that hard. I only used spider ball once and that was to cross a gap that falls away underneath. There were multiple paths I assumed you didn't have to take if you were smart about it.

emb

It's a regular looking Metroid that jumps on my head. I can use bombs to get him off me but nothing hurts it :-(
Oh, the
normal Metroid? It's similar to Metroids in past games: you need to freeze it, then pelt it with 5 missiles.

Teggy

Ok, question about area 8 boss. I am getting stuck when
i am on the ground, it makes the back wall fire, there are green orbs and then it stars putting fire on the floor. If out of aeon shield, what do?

Ok, question about area 8 boss. I am getting stuck when
i am on the ground, it makes the back wall fire, there are green orbs and then it stars putting fire on the floor. If out of aeon shield, what do?
Spider Ball on the ceiling before she ignites the back wall. That's probably her trickiest attack pattern.

Teggy

Spider Ball is your friend.

Spider Ball on the ceiling before she ignites the back wall. That's probably her trickiest attack pattern.

Hm, I need to do this again because I'm not sure how that's possible. Because
usually what happens is that 1. Green balls go out 2. I spider ball up the back wall. 3a. She either shoots fire to the floor and back wall, in which case I rotate to the top, and then drop to floor when it stops burning or 3b. Drop back to the floor when it starts burning the ceiling and the back wall. After 3b is where I am stuck - the ceiling is clear, but the back wall is still burning so the only way back to the ceiling is to somehow perfect space jump back to the ceiling?

Satch

Banned
Hm, I need to do this again because I’m not sure how that’s possible. Because
usually what happens is that 1. Green balls go out 2. I spider ball up the back wall. 3a. She either shoots fire to the floor and back wall, in which case I rotate to the top, and then drop to floor when it stops burning or 3b. Drop back to the floor when it starts burning the ceiling and the back wall. After 3b is where I am stuck - the ceiling is clear, but the back wall is still burning so the only way back to the ceiling is to somehow perfect space jump back to the ceiling?

you can use spiderball on the floor

Teggy

Ok, I’m not really sure what I did differently this time but I just beat it. I didn’t get into the same dilemma that I had been, so either I did better at killing it or I was just thinking about where I was differently. I wish I knew, lol.

Anteo

I think he is refering to the attack where she traps you between fire in the floor amd in the wall. She doesnt push you to the wall bu the order in wich she puts the fire traps you. hiding under her mouth or power bomb jumping to the ceiling kind of worked but i got hit a few times as well

Out of curiosity, I'm not the only one who struggled against the
Queen Metroid
right? Died like 4/5 times to it.

The
Diggernaut
also gave me some trouble.

Hylian7

Regarding a certain puzzle element that stumped pretty much everyone at some point:
the parallel red spikes with no grapple point

I was thinking what their thought process was on this. Power bomb jumping has never been a thing in any previous Metroid game. We have also never had a 2D game with both the Power Bomb and Spider Ball in the same game. So how exactly did MS expect us to figure that one out? Since you have a limited number of power bombs, you aren't going to sit there and play with them.

Honestly I think they should have handled it where when you get the power bombs, the Chozo statue crumbles or something, and you fall and the only way out is to roll into a corridor, with power bomb blocks above you. People might figure it out this way.

Realeza

Banned
Just got the screw attack. This is one of the best games of the year, and top 3 Metroid. The sense of progression and pacing is phenomenal.

Toxi

Banned
Not sure where it comes from, but here's a larger version of the art of the final boss that is found in one of the Amiibo galleries (SUPER HUGE SPOILERS).
(SUPER HUGE SPOILERS)
Interesting which details changed. His lower jaw for example isn't mechanical in the final model, but has the same spike.

Hylian7

(SUPER HUGE SPOILERS)
Interesting which details changed. His lower jaw for example isn't mechanical in the final model, but has the same spike.
The thing that makes that even cooler
(MORE SUPER HUGE SPOILERS)
It's a really nice acknowledgement that the Prime games are cannon again. Even though the final model is less mechanical than that art, that's fine,
I honestly like the model.

Also...I wonder if this sort of is a way of saying they plan to ignore Other M for the most part. This would be yet another time facing Ridley before the events of Other M, and her reaction here was night and day different from the Other M one. They did say Sakamoto was in charge of the story stuff again. It seems like he really listened since Other M.

The Ridley surprise was nice in general. I really didn't expect it, and they did it in a way that made sense with all the games chronologically so far.

Top Bottom