• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

KayMote

Only 6 Metroids left now with around 9 hours of playtime on the clock. Pretty massive! The game keeps delivering and what I specifically love about it is the sense of progression. Will probably finish it tomorrow. I' have to say, the title of the freshly opened thread about the ending (which I obviosuly didn't open!) really makes me wanna reach the end as fast as possible now!
I can see myself easily spending around 15-20 hours reaching 100 %. So far the data file tells me that I have around 44 % only o_O

Opa-Pa

Aaahhhhhhh that other thread. I haven't clicked it, but now I'll have to be extra careful to avoid whatever it is about.

Yeah, I don't think that thread title was a good idea either... I think it implies far more than one would expect from a remake lol, but it helps make me be more careful, I guess?

Neff

Ugh, Other M reference
i was hoping we could avoid this

It's as if this post was crying just for me

Well it's Metroid II in spirit only. It's pretty much totally different - I'm nearing the end and haven't recognized a single area. Which is good, I suppose.

I can recognise basic similarities to the original level design, like 'oh yeah this is that hallway', or 'oh right this must be that same energy refill station', but by and large the game is a significantly enlarged, exhaustively retooled remake. The setting is the same, the structure is the same, but I'd estimate for the map alone they created about 60-70% new content. As a huge fan of Metroid II, I absolutely love it.

This game is HUGE! Probably the biggest 2D Metroid, yet.

Easily.

Yeah, I don't think that thread title was a good idea either... I think it implies far more than one would expect from a remake lol, but it helps make me be more careful, I guess?

Man I was so tempted to just peek int that other thread. I stopped myself.
I'll be getting this tomorrow so I can wait a day or so...like many of you, I've been waiting a long time for 2D Metroid.

Got my copy delivered from Best buy. Will put in a couple hours later today. My initial impression is that free asking after pressing L seems off. Maybe I'll get used to it.

jb1234

Got my copy. The controls are a bit wonky (I really can't get used to the L and R functions) and the enemies are more aggressive than I'd like but it's definitely Metroid. And gigantic. I have three hours logged and just a 13.3% completion rate.

Expect a challenge too. Some of the Metroids are absolute assholes. I've died more times in this game so far than in Super Metroid and Fusion combined.

Oidisco

I'm really enjoying this game so far but the lack of any good melodic music is really bothering me. The ambience is well done and the remixes are cool, but some of these areas would've worked so well with a good melodic tune.

I thought it was mutually agreed to not go with Other M for the OT title? And I loved that commercial too. Just seems bad taste

Hyped as fuck. Salty that Amazon isnt getting it to me until Tuesday though. Why do I even have prime if you can't get me this game on time?

ymgve

Is there any way to counter when the Metroids do their sparkle attack? It's a bit annoying when like one in four attacks is actually counterable.

LegendX48

For those already playing, is there a way to change the controls so that I can use the D-pad to move? I hate using analog sticks/pads/etc for side scrollers.

Lingitiz

this is what Nintendo looks like when they're on their A game. Though, it makes me wonder how next year is gonna be, feels like all their heavy hitters are 2017

This time last year we didn't even know what was coming for Nintendo beyond Zelda. Let's give some time before we judge what they've got for next year. We know Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem are in the works. There's still several teams and franchises at Nintendo accounted for, and we all know how much they love their tight announce to release windows. With Nintendo software transitioning all to one platform, all bets are off.

Realeza

Banned
this is what Nintendo looks like when they're on their A game. Though, it makes me wonder how next year is gonna be, feels like all their heavy hitters are 2017

Damn it, figured as much :

Prime 4, Retro Studios game and Pokemon could easily carry the momentum.

Kadin

So I just clicked on that spoiler thread (thinking it was THIS thread) to view the recent posts since I last came into here and luckily I didn't see shit. Man, that was scary when I realized what I'd just done...

Getting tense around this place, hope I don't read anything I don't want to see.

Forward

I really want this game.

Badly enough to forgive and forego the hardest difficulty. But I will not accept no D-Pad play in a 2D Metroid. It is both a hard pass, and a hard pass. :/ Nintendo needs to patch the option in.

LegendX48

This time last year we didn't even know what was coming for Nintendo beyond Zelda. Let's give some time before we judge what they've got for next year. We know Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem are in the works. There's still several teams and franchises at Nintendo accounted for, and we all know how much they love their tight announce to release windows.

That's true, though I feel like Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon are at least two years off.

Prime 4, Retro Studios game and Pokemon could easily carry the momentum.
Hopefully, we see what Retro's been up to next year, curious to see how Nintendo follows up.

TentPole

So I just clicked on that spoiler thread (thinking it was THIS thread) to view the recent posts since I last came into here and luckily I didn't see shit. Man, that was scary when I realized what I'd just done...

Getting tense around this place, hope I don't read anything I don't want to see.

Watch out in here too. I accidentally clicked on massive endgame spoilers haphazardly posted a couple pages back. Pretty bummed about it.

KingBroly

Banned
*Wakes up

*sees other thread title

*Comes immediately to this thread without entering that thread

Oh come the fuck on, who thought that was a good idea?

LegendX48

I really want this game.

Badly enough to forgive and forego the hardest difficulty. But I will not accept no D-Pad play in a 2D Metroid. It is both a hard pass, and a hard pass. :/ Nintendo needs to patch the option in.

It's definitely a bummer that there's no D-pad play here but I'd say it's still worth checking out despite that flaw.

El Odio

Banned
Wowee, Amazon initially said they wouldn't ship this out till Monday but I just got notified it'll be arriving tomorrow! Guess I don't need to avoid this thread anymore.

RRockman

Banned
Are people really that surprised that a extensive remake of a game that's in a series that has had litteraly zero updates in its main line plot since freaking 2002 is going to sneak in a few updates on where it's heading?

I expected this from the very start.
Would have personally torched NOJ if no clues were released after all this time.

Top Bottom