• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

mrkgoo

Have my copy since this morning, can't wait to fire it up tonight. I haven't even seen any screens, but I heard this was a 2D Metroid.

The wait is finally almost over you guys! Thirteen years of waiting for a new 2D Metroid is culminating tomorrow. I just gotta make it through work, and safely race my happy ass down to Best Buy. I'm actually getting emotional here lol!

-Mikey-

Cancelled my Amazon order because it wasn't going to arrive until next Tuesday. Received an email not too long ago saying they couldn't cancel it and that it'll arrive Saturday.

Good enough!!

Cindro

I gotta say the Samus amiibo for this game looks badass as all hell. She's like walking artillery machine hellbent on ecological devastation, bulky and intimidating af.

So rad, I can't wait to bring this amiibo with me to the nursing home when I'm old and senile just so I can scare the hell out of myself by having it look over me while I sleep.

Metroid-Samus-Returns-amiibo.jpg

I gotta say the Samus amiibo for this game looks badass as all hell. She's like walking artillery machine hellbent on ecological devastation, bulky and intimidating af.

So rad, I can't wait to bring this amiibo with me to the nursing home when I'm old and senile just so I can scare the hell out of myself by having it look over me while I sleep.
Really wish I could find these...

Cindro

Stores always get additional allotment beyond their preorders! Fight the good fight and make the rounds tomorrow when your local shops open. It may not work out (and if it doesn't, I feel your pain - I got to Best Buy 5 minutes before it opened the day the MM Link amiibo was released, but I was still fourth in line and they only had three extras to sell), but it's worth the shot. I doubt these Metroid amiibos will be as rare as some of the Zelda ones.

modsbox

So this is embarrassing but is anyone else stuck in the section right after the cutscene that shows a
metroid suck the life out of a monster? I can't climb back up or open the yellow door because it has something green covering it
little help would be great!

big_z

So this is embarrassing but is anyone else stuck in the section right after the cutscene that shows a
metroid suck the life out of a monster? I can't climb back up or open the yellow door because it has something green covering it
little help would be great!

Missiles I think will solve your problem. Also try shooting the floor. There's a handful of rooms that lock you in and the floor is usually the answer

I did something by accident that will make my playthrough a whole lot smoother (spoiled in case people want to figure it out on their own; I'll just say it's a combination of two abilities):

Using a melee attack on an iced-up enemy instantly kills them.

Cindro

Also, this game is more challenging than I had anticipated.
I think someone said earlier that this was more challenging than Fusion (the hardest of the "modern" 2D Metroids) - does that seem like it could be accurate based on what you've played so far?

That's why I don't understand the people that are still upset about Fusion mode unless they are the hardest of the hardcore. Ain't nobody gonna be beating this on a mode that's even more difficult than the standard "Hard" setting.

Finished my download, hope everyone has fun 🙃

I do miss the 3d effect, hope to see a new, easier to to use for everyone form in the future sometime.

I think someone said earlier that this was more challenging than Fusion (the hardest of the "modern" 2D Metroids) - does that seem like it could be accurate based on what you've played so far?

That's why I don't understand the people that are still upset about Fusion mode unless they are the hardest of the hardcore. Ain't nobody gonna be beating this on a mode that's even more difficult than the standard "Hard" setting.
YMMV, but the starting critters (i.e. Metroid food, basically) were kicking my ass for a minute there. I got the hang of it more now, though.

Opa-Pa

Man, one thing I'm loving is how the "punishing" you do after counters works. I was super annoyed by how lengthy the animations looked from some footage, especially during bosses... But turns out you're in full control all the time. Those aren't default animations that take the control away from you, that's you shooting (or not), the game simply provides different camera angles for those moments. It makes a world of difference.

A bit too early to tell for me, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me. Everything is quite hostile and bosses, even early ones aren't as easy as I expected. Though not stupid hard either.

Regular enemies in particular are very fun because they can be tricky to handle alone due to their speed at times, but when they attack in groups, oh boy. It's so damn fun to do crowd control.

Just briefly started the game. Fun so far! I like how fluidly Samus controls.

360 aim is especially awesome. I kind of want to try a Mega Man game with 360 aim. Would change that series a lot, but it could be interesting.

This game is not easy...

But, it sure feels like Metroid in a great way. The music, whoa. As someone who played Metroid 2 but never beat it, I can't wait to keep playing.

jb1234

Five hours in. The areas just get bigger and bigger. And the enemies get more and more obnoxious, haha. Definitely not an easy game but it's fun.

(It's weird to think I've played this game for longer than the original lasts and am probably nowhere near to finishing it.)

Neifirst

Got my amiibo ordered from Best Buy! Now to get the game...and reacquire a system since I sold it when I got the switch back in March. Any word on whether Best Buy will have additional Samus edition XL's on hand for purchase this morning? I don't want to wait a week for shipping and store pick up is not available.

Top Bottom