• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

LeonSPBR

First impressions: This game is so good but hard as well, not unfair though, if you got hit it's your fault rather than you getting injured thanks to cheap spawn. Also melee counter is awesome.

norm9

Finished downloading. Gonna take it for a thirty minute (at most) spin and set it down for evening so I can enjoy it in a large chunk once work week is over.

Greedings

Argh, I tried playing this morning, and missed my bus. Had to run to the next bus stop and just managed to catch it thanks to some lucky red traffic lights.

Seems pretty decent.

AmyS

Just got home with mine!

kx6MfZK.jpg

Opa-Pa

Another thing I didn't expect: There are save points a plenty, but they do not replenish your health . Sure there are energy stations, but they're far in between and some are even hidden.

I was trying to get through this room quickly and started to get my ass kicked because I had less than a tank left. This is so cool, it maintains a sense of being in constant danger and balances the existence of checkpoints, which of course don't give you health back either.

It encourages combat as well which is excellent!

(Yes, I was that fool arguing that constant combat would probably ruin the flow of the game. So far it's looking like I was worrying for nothing).

13ruce

Banned
Called in sick for school said i had a migraine attack.... Well i do have migraine just never had severe headaches for years but used it as a excuse.

Hopefully the game is here soon normally the packages come around 11am-12pm. For Odyssey i will call in sick for one last time for videogames since that game got the last few amiibo i will ever buy and i just wanna play that all weekend.

Damn i can't wait! Badass Samus is back.

Pengu

Neo Member
I ordered the game and amiibo, but forgot since I have an og xl I can't use the amiibo without a reader.

I'm finding myself using missiles on normal enemies more often which generally didn't really happen in other Metroid games. Keeping a Charge Shot on hand is proving rather valuable as well. Tools that were more viable on bosses are more important for standard enemies now which is interesting (especially since they're limited resources meaning that ammo count kinda means something a bit more at the least). The melee counter is incredibly powerful no doubt but staying safe when dealing with multiple enemies is best with other options I feel.

I can't wait to get the ice beam and smash enemies to bits with the melee.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
how is the quality of the 3d effects in the game? i'm debating between getting it for my japanese 3ds and having to wait a few days or my english 2ds and playing it now (and getting to binge on it over the weekend). worth it?

how is the quality of the 3d effects in the game? i'm debating between getting it for my japanese 3ds and having to wait a few days or my english 2ds and playing it now (and getting to binge on it over the weekend). worth it?

It might be some of the best 3D on the system, if not arguably the best implementation I've seen. The impact of depth on the atmosphere is pretty impressive.

It upsets me that the amiibo's pre sold out. Hopefully they do a second print of them. Really want that squishy Metroid. Don't expect it though seeing the Zelda amiibo never showed up again, never got an OoT Link :(

They must have really had low expectations of them, especially considering the two Fire Emblem Echoes amiibo are still readily available here in Australia.

co1onel

It's pretty nice. Even thought the game is 2.5d, the caverns are deep and open, with stuff going on in the backgrounds. Sometimes you'll spot a monster or two lurking in the background.

RPGam3r

Looking forward to playing.

Oh and looking forward to getting my amiibo that was apparently a crime against all gaming kind.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It might be some of the best 3D on the system, if not arguably the best implementation I've seen. The impact of depth on the atmosphere is pretty impressive.

It's pretty nice. Even thought the game is 2.5d, the caverns are deep and open, with stuff going on in the backgrounds. Sometimes you'll spot a monster or two lurking in the background.

sold

oatmeal

Banned
So what Metroid is this most like?

Listening to NVC they dropped Super Metroid but then as they talked more it sounded less and less like that.

Sounded more like Fusion which I'm not huge on.

Thoughts?

takriel

Called in sick for school said i had a migraine attack.... Well i do have migraine just never had severe headaches for years but used it as a excuse.

Hopefully the game is here soon normally the packages come around 11am-12pm. For Odyssey i will call in sick for one last time for videogames since that game got the last few amiibo i will ever buy and i just wanna play that all weekend.

Damn i can't wait! Badass Samus is back.
You should never ever do that.

Tried six stores, none wanted to sell it to me. Now I'm downloading it digitally because I've got to play it tonight.

For those wondering why I didn't do that in the first place, my 3ds was stolen a while back and a friend has loaned me his. He doesn't really play it much anymore, so I can probably go and get it anytime I'll want to play this game in the future.

13ruce

Banned
Looking forward to playing.

Oh and looking forward to getting my amiibo that was apparently a crime against all gaming kind.

Honestly if people that want em skip because of that, scalpers will just buy em in our stead and resell em for 50 bucks.

While sure the content lock is scummy and all, amiibo still are nice looking collectable affordable figures.

If only Nintendo would produce more so that i can buy some missed ones for a normal price:( (botw guardian and botw zelda amiibo are the only 2 i still want in my collection) Ohwell i already own like 50 different amiibo anyway.... And lots of Links lol (like 7-8 or so >.>).

rekameohs

Banned
Waaah! The Area 3 theme totally took the original Metroid 2 bleeps and bloops and turned them into something haunting and melodic.

As someone who's played a lot of Metroid 2, those noises were immediately recognizable, lol.

jb1234

Listening to NVC they dropped Super Metroid but then as they talked more it sounded less and less like that.

Thoughts?

Honestly, it's its own game. It takes bits and pieces from all of the 2D games to make something that feels familiar, yet different. I think it's closer to Super Metroid than Fusion though.

Opa-Pa

Waaah! The Area 3 theme totally took the original Metroid 2 bleeps and bloops and turned them into something haunting and melodic.

As someone who's played a lot of Metroid 2, those noises were immediately recognizable, lol.

Yeah I thought it was pretty awesome, good to know I wasn't just me hearing what I wanted to hear.

Ooohh, where could that mysteriously red and glowy door lead to?!

*enters room and starts losing health immediately*

Oh, right. It's been a good while.

oatmeal

Banned
Honestly, it's its own game. It takes bits and pieces from all of the 2D games to make something that feels familiar, yet different. I think it's closer to Super Metroid than Fusion though.
I guess is it more find your own way or linear points and stuff?

rekameohs

Banned

Thoughts?
Honestly, it's most like the original Metroid 2 (or AM2R). If you haven't played it, how it works is that there are several areas as you descend downward into the planet. And in each area, you start out with a bunch of ruins that contain a few new items. You then use those items to kill all the metroids in branching paths from the ruins. Then, you move down to the next area, and the metroids and enemies get stronger and stronger.

So, it's open in how you tackle each area (as in, the order that you collect the items in each area is up to you), but it's certainly more linear moving from area to area than say, Super Metroid.

RedShift

Only watched the opening cinematic and jumped around the start zone for a bit but already love the feel of the controls, plus how good the game looks on a 3ds screen compared to screenshots on PC.

AmyS

Made it to getting the morph ball and the first save. Love the mechanics and there's nice depth to the background graphics, especially in 3D.

13ruce

Banned
Damn track & trace not showing how late the package arrives.... It does show delivery today tho but damn.... Now i wait for the unknown...:p might come before noon or come after noon...

Edit: ah the website where i got it says the driver is on it's way:)

Opa-Pa

Codiox

I don't care for amiibos at all, but this game is so fucking good that I just ordered 2 of them (Metroid and Samus crouching) to support Metroid. Also im really interested in making a second playthrough in fusion mode.

But they will really look badass in my TV shelf!

rekameohs

Banned
Yes! It really was it then, that's damn genius.

I know it might turn some people off, but I'm enjoying the atmospheric soundtrack a lot. It really emulates the eerie, otherworldly feel of the original soundtrack while also sounding more like, well, actual music.
One thing I'm wondering is if the well-known main overworld theme makes any more appearances after that tutorial region. I liked in the original and AM2R how you would head back through and get a reprise of that energetic theme before you get ready for a new area. Samus Returns hasn't had that after the first two areas, at least.

13ruce

Banned
I don't care for amiibos at all, but this game is so fucking good that I just ordered 2 of them (Metroid and Samus crouching) to support Metroid. Also im really interested in making a second playthrough in fusion mode.

But they will really look badass in my TV shelf!

Oh i bet they will those 2 amiibo are one of the most coolest yet imo. Damn i missed badass Samus lol, glad she is back.

I guess is it more find your own way or linear points and stuff?

I haven't gotten very far (just past Area 1), but based on my experience with the original you need to tackle the multitude of Areas in the same order due to the constraint being applied to the progression system. The Areas themselves, on the other hand, are totally non-linear. There are pathways everywhere and you are given no clue as to where the Metroids could be hiding, so you need to search every nook and cranny.

big_z

Im stuck, I need one more Metroid for this area but cant figure out how to get into the room its hanging out in. You can see it in the picture below, the Metroid with the circle around it is where im trying to get to (well the room to the left of that). Anyone able to help?

ypPuoK8.jpg

Im stuck, I need one more Metroid for this area but cant figure out how to get into the room its hanging out in. You can see it in the picture below, the Metroid with the circle around it is where im trying to get to (well the room to the left of that). Anyone able to help?

ypPuoK8.jpg

Um, don't you just enter that room from the right? It looks like you already explored it, too...?

If I didn't know I'd say this game was running at 60fps, it really feels buttery smooth. 3D is also really stable.

Except in the elevator sequences lol.

A photo of the room itself may help. There must be a secret passage in the left walls. You tried the scan pulse?

rekameohs

Banned

ypPuoK8.jpg
I remember that one. There a missile block to get in, and you freeze a guy to jump up there.

Strings

Game is pretty fun, but reminding me why I much prefer Igavania's >.<

Already at the point where I just try to avoid as much combat as possible ~4 hours in, because there just doesn't feel like much of a reason to engage in it. Also really wish I could remap movement to the d-pad, but obviously that would mess with the free aim (which I'm also not really a fan of) :(

Top Bottom