• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexico F1 driver Sergio Perez dumps sponsor over "Trump wall" tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Mexico F1 driver Sergio Perez dumps sponsor over tweet

_92385775_d9ae13c6-5dcc-4568-8aba-d74d58e690df.jpg

Mexican Formula 1 driver Sergio Perez has dumped one of his sponsors for sending a disrespectful tweet about his compatriots.

Perez was incensed after sunglasses manufacturer Hawkers tweeted in the wake of Donald Trump's victory in the US election that Mexicans should buy its shades to hide their tears when Mr Trump began to build a border wall.

The driver said he would not allow anyone to make fun of his country.

Hawkers subsequently apologised.

One of the company's founders, David Moreno, published a video message on Twitter (in Spanish) saying that he and his team had committed "a grave error" and were sincerely sorry about the comment, which they have since erased from their Twitter feed.

Perez had earlier tweeted: "What a bad comment, today I sever my links with @HawkersMX. I won't let anyone make fun of my country! #MexicoUnited

Here is a screenshot of the tweet:

depsfoarucloudjimqtd.png

Icefire1424

I watch F1. Perez is one of those drivers that doesn't garner a lot of attention. He just gained a lot more respect from me.

Daaaamn. It's not very often that you hear of the sports icon dumping the sponsor. It's pretty much always the other way around. Good for him.

Anticol

Banned
It's good to have an idae of all the companies who are blalantely racist, there are a ton of them. Great decision from the driver I respect him, he values more his country than money.

Pizoxuat

Who the fuck is running all the corporate twitter accounts that say stupid shit?
Do they just hire unqualified people on the cheap?

Some companies have their social media run by interns and the kids of higher ups. Low responsibility, high turn over positions, basically. Smart companies get professionals to do it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
sunglasses manufacturer Hawkers tweeted in the wake of Donald Trump's victory in the US election that Mexicans should buy its shades to hide their tears when Mr Trump began to build a border wall

Who thought this was something that worth tweeting from a corporate account is an idiot. An idiot who doesn't deserve a decent job. It's totally lacking common sense and decency.

Jezbollah

I watch F1. Perez is one of those drivers that doesn't garner a lot of attention. He just gained a lot more respect from me.

Evidently you don't watch F1. Force India is a team that is pretty competitive and Sergio gets quite a bit of attention in every race. Not to mention the fact the return to Mexico has been a huge success based upon such attention.

wildfire

Banned
It's rare for people to simply cut ties with those who give them money and logsitical support. I respect what he did and I hope he has enough going for him that dropping these idiots is manageable.

Glix

Someone dealing a blow to their own financial self interests in the name of doing what is right.

It's refreshing to see.

PSqueak

Banned
Well, i like that people take a stance, but it's kinda baffling as a mexican, since everybody in here has been making wall jokes and memes since trump won. Just yesterday my coworker flooded my whatsapp with image macros and memes.

Like, that's kinda what we do.

NewDust

Well, i like that people take a stance, but it's kinda baffling as a mexican, since everybody in here has been making wall jokes and memes since trump won. Just yesterday my coworker flooded my whatsapp with image macros and memes.

I guess it's a bit different when you are the public face of a company.

AlexBasch

Yeah, except that Hawkers is from Elche in Spain.

I get what you're saying, we're mean to each other and do some heavy joking here and there (laughed at that joke about us Godinez getting a 'wall deduction' in our wage receipt, for example), but when a foreigner goes "hyuck hyuck mexicans be tearin' up!" is like "fuck off, dude". At least that's how I see it. Double if you're the face of a company.

M3d10n

Who the fuck is running all the corporate twitter accounts that say stupid shit?
Do they just hire unqualified people on the cheap?

If their elected president can not only get away with, but be rewarded for spewing bullshit, it's only natural for others to think they can too.

studyguy

Who the flying fuck thought that tweet was okay? Hey Mexicans put these sunglasses on so no one can see your puffy eyes while building the wall. What the literal fuck?

Jeels

Good guy for standing up. It needs to be unequivocally clear that this type of behavior won't be tolerated even with DJT as president.

Icefire1424

Evidently you don't watch F1. Force India is a team that is pretty competitive and Sergio gets quite a bit of attention in every race. Not to mention the fact the return to Mexico has been a huge success based upon such attention.

Compared to Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel, Verstappen and Riccardo he doesn't get a lot of attention. Not saying that he shouldn't though. I love watching him and Hulk drive for Force India. Sad to see that pair splitting up for next year.

E-Cat

Perez was incensed after sunglasses manufacturer Hawkers tweeted in the wake of Donald Trump's victory in the US election that Mexicans should buy its shades to hide their tears when Mr Trump began to build a border wall.
They must really hate making a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom