• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mgs4 scans - bosses shown

hyonoid

like i say early morning ALL BOSSES ARE WOMEN

and members of a group called: Beauty & Beast, they aren´t soldiers but victims of war.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Darkpen said:
I can't believe it, you just admitted that MGS is fictional. Hell hath frozen.

For one, the Cobra Unit is "that wacky" because that's how Kojima designed them. They served no other purpose in the game than to be cannon fodder for Snake, but for good reason.

You point out Vamp and say he's pointless, yet you point out Ocelot's arm and say that at least that's important. You seem to miss the point of Vamp's significance. Everything that happened in MGS2 was tightly interwoven. If you payed attention, Stillman, Fatman, and Vamp were all part of the same church explosion that happened years ago prior to the game's events. There are plenty of plot holes that need to be filled, and based on the E3 trailer, it seems that Vamp's supernatural traits will be explained.

EDIT: also, he's not a vampire, he's a bisexual bloodsucking freak.
Everything will come down to what Ocelot said in MGS2: "There is no such thing as miracles or the super-natural only cutting-edge technology."

Aggelos

Excuse me guys those are MGS4 bosses?? They look to me like a bunch of retarded wackos who just escaped from the mental institution..... No offense.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Borys said:
Holy crap... Laughing Octopus? Who comes up with names like these?
kojima.... ;(
The bosses look like crap. Kojima should have make it feel more real like in MGS1. This is stupid.

MCD

Aggelos said:
Excuse me guys those are MGS4 bosses?? They look to me like a bunch of retarded wackos who just escaped from the mental institution..... No offense.

VICTIMS OF WAR.

see hyonoid's post.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Sigh. The more I see of this game the more it brings me reluctantly back, body and soul, to MGS2 with all the gene control ambiguity and Fatman quality boss designs. Also, I guess Kojima isn't quite done with his Doc Octopus obsession a la Solidus and now ZOE mechs and Strider dogs.

Also, I'm not usually one to complain about violence in games ever, but the scenes with the insurgents getting slaughtered by these high tech monstrosities feel quite gratuitous. I wonder why MGS4 is so much more visually explicit in terms of gore and brutality than its predecessors?

Ceb

I'm flabbergasted by the fact that so many people seem to consider the first MGS as being a "realistic" game. It's like they think of it as a Splinter Cell kind of story.

Aggelos said:

Remind me never to move near whatever creepy mental institution you know of that houses wackos like these.

Darkpen

Banned
hyonoid said:
like i say early morning ALL BOSSES ARE WOMEN

and members of a group called: Beauty & Beast, they aren´t soldiers but victims of war.
Wait, that's what the translation is? They're all females? Oh shnap.

Master Z said:
Designed by Granin but realized by Otacon's father, I believe...
Not by Otacon's father, it was by Otacon. Otacon's father never recieved those plans, as they were intercepted by Ocelot.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Master Z said:
Designed by Granin but realized by Otacon's father, I believe...

Not sure at all, Otacon did Metal Gear REX, can't remember anything about his father but his grandfather did participate on Project Manhattan.

I kinda like the idea of the bosses having names reminiscent of the bosses from MGS1. Seems like Liquid still holds a grudge over what happenned in MGS1 or the patriots are messing with Snake like they did with Raiden.

If MGS4 ends the Metal Gear Solid arc it might be great. Franchise reboot after this, please!

JDSN

Banned
Cant wait for the innevitable "Can robot furry love bloom in the battlefield?" Otacon conversation when Crying Wolf shows up.

Ceb

chespace said:
I wonder why MGS4 is so much more visually explicit in terms of gore and brutality than its predecessors?

I don't know if you're trying to imply something like Kojipro trying to "sell out" by going after western gorehounds who like GeOW. :p

MGS2 and 3 were pretty brutal as well. MGS1 - although limited by its graphics - had that gruesome ninja corridor scene. And with MGS4 being set in an ongoing war, they simply gotta turn the violence up a notch if they want to keep things authentic. People getting sliced in half is kind of nuts, but you most likely won't see any guts seeping out and it probably won't happen in actual gameplay situations.

TheExorzist said:
You just don't want to understand it, do you? Look, Kojima nearly EVERYTHING try to explain logically. I know an robot like Metal Gear is pure fiction, BUT Kojima explained why it it was build! He even explained how it fucking works and why the story of Shadow Moses never went public (because of the patritos)! And there is sheer endless stuff like this. Why would he do that if he doesn't want some sort of connectivity to the reality? He connects this story to the real world. If you don't get that, then you should better ask yourself who of us didn't understand the MGS storyline. Think about it.

What's your point though? Grounding the story in familiar settings is a hallmark of science fiction. But just because MGS3 tied into the Cuban Missile Crisis and Kojima gave some explanation as to the nature of the threat REX signified to a world in a similar state to our own doesn't mean there can't be crazy robots and people with superhuman abilities everywhere.

I mean it's freaking Metal Gear, the whole plot of MGS2 kicks off (the Shell section anyway) because a former President of the United States of America takes the current President hostage. Why you ask? Well, it turns out he was a clone of a legendary soldier given the Presidency (which as it turns out is more of a titular deal anyway) by a shadowy group who may or may not have been dead for over a century only to become disenchanted with his role as a marionette.

But yeah, I see why you would draw the line at robots, a staple of the series since the first game.

M3wThr33 said:
Please tell me that was sarcasm. I don't want to read the last few pages. But I refuse to believe that someone JUST realized that.

not sarcasm, but... I just got here, and first heard the names.

Ganondorfo

Hideo-san owns

Zone of the enders and metal gear in one game yes

Metal gear solid 4= zone of the enders 3 + metal gear solid

godhandiscen said:
kojima.... ;(
The bosses look like crap. Kojima should have make it feel more real like in MGS1. This is stupid.

what is realistic about MGS1?

SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE!

Telekinetic bosses?

One on One with a tank

A giant robot?

cmon now.

chespace

Ceb said:
I don't know if you're trying to imply something like Kojipro trying to "sell out" by going after western gorehounds who like GeOW. :p

MGS2 and 3 were pretty brutal as well. MGS1 - although limited by its graphics - had that gruesome ninja corridor scene. And with MGS4 being set in an ongoing war, they simply gotta turn the violence up a notch if they want to keep things authentic. People getting sliced in half is kind of nuts, but you most likely won't see any guts seeping out and it probably won't happen in actual gameplay situations.

KDF assemble?

Nope, not implying anything along the lines of what you're thinking. :p

Simply wondering why they turned the violence up to 11 this time around. I guess the ninja scenes of the past were fairly violent but nothing like what we've seen these poor insurgents go through. It actually made me uncomfortable watching the last trailer.

Ganondorfo said:
Snake is unbeatable you hear me?

until his back gives out

chespace said:
KDF assemble?

Simply wondering why they turned the violence up to 11 this time around. I guess the ninja scenes of the past were fairly violent but nothing like what we've seen these poor insurgents go through. It actually made me uncomfortable watching the last trailer.

Kojima hates muslims confirmed.

p.s. if the bosses are all women, it would explain that prolonged shot of that strider dog's ass.

not only the ninja scene, but Vamp in MGS2 also.

I dont think it was way too violent, they are just showing how powerful and vicious these enemies are.

chespace said:
Also, I'm not usually one to complain about violence in games ever, but the scenes with the insurgents getting slaughtered by these high tech monstrosities feel quite gratuitous. I wonder why MGS4 is so much more visually explicit in terms of gore and brutality than its predecessors?

The particularly extreme violence in this trailer was obviously done to make the bosses look intimidating. But I don't understand why you feel that this is gratuitous. Metal Gear has never been skittish from graphic violence. In MGS2 there was that scene where Vamp slits that Navy SEALS' throat and a fountain of blood erupts from his neck, and of course Snake's torture in MGS3.

MCD

chespace said:
KDF assemble?

p.s. if the bosses are all women, it would explain that prolonged shot of that strider dog's ass.

Middle East =! Muslims.

what i mean is that they could be Arabs or even non Arabs (Persian for example) without being Muslims.

ThirdEye

godhandiscen said:
kojima.... ;(
So real

Bisleyprintonly.jpg

Darkpen

Banned
karasu said:
To me, these look like the best bosses yet. Well, no one can top The Boss.

The fight with the Boss had significant emotional attachment as the story had built up,
the fact that you had to press Square in the middle of the cutscene was a shock, and Snake's debriefing made me cry.

Ceb

chespace said:

People got skewered by Gray Fox. You could see the exposed ribs on their corpses. In Twin Snakes, a dude gets cut in half, from top to bottom.

MGS2 had soldiers with a lot more hit zones and who's bodies remained and bled a whole lot. In the cutscenes, you had people getting crushed by Ray, getting drowned like rats, gunshots to the head at close proximity, tentacle strangulation, gorey throat slashing...

MGS3 had killer bees, people wasted in big explosions, CQC knife slashing, Granin getting beaten to death, Snake getting brutally tortured and having one of his eyes shot out, soldiers getting run over by a big fucking tank...

MGS4 probably seems more graphic to you because the visuals have improved so much. But the actual content hasn't really changed. The camera cuts away for most of the Gekko smashing, and also for Laughing Octopus' coil strangling.

Darkpen

Banned
chespace said:
KDF assemble?

They're not insurgents, they're militiamen, defending their own country. Also, there's no indication that Kojima hates middle-easterners, as he leaves choosing which side to join on to the player.

Also, no idea if Wolf has a gender. The guy said the translation is "Beauty and Beast," meaning Raven is a chick too, but I guess saying they're victims of war would include Wolf, so eh, whatever.

Do you really find the amount of violence that surprising? Its a war, expect violence.

Zenith

Banned
Jon_Danger said:
what is realistic about MGS1?

SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE!

Telekinetic bosses?

One on One with a tank

A giant robot?

cmon now.

MGS1 isn't "realistic" but it's nowhere near as cuckoo as the other games and you're being deliberately obstinate not to see that.

there is a huge difference between the bosses in MGS1 and the subsequent games. in MGS1 it could all be grouped under "paranormal". a psychic soldier was as outlandish as it got. but MGS2 is far and away more out there. Vampires? Roller blading? total fantasy.

chespace

Okay, I was joking about the muslim part. I forgot to include this :)

Relax. Bosses are still retarded.

Darkpen

Banned
Ceb said:
People got skewered by Gray Fox. You could see the exposed ribs on their corpses. In Twin Snakes, a dude gets cut in half, from top to bottom.
Actually, it "wasn't happening."

;)

if you ever played Eternal Darkness, there was something called a Sanity bar where, once you got fairly low, you'd start experiencing hallucinations, and shit would happen that wasn't real. There was no body that was cut in half in the hallway, it didn't really happen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Man, those things look *scary*, and move in an even scarier ways. Fights against them will be insane. There's something about female soldier cyborgs that makes them that much scarier. Perhaps the conflicting sense between that "you're not supposed to hurt the fairer sex" and realization that you're looking at something that can mutilate and kill you in split second, whenever it choses to.

Aggelos said:
Perhaps mental institution wackos on Iron Cyberland where you must be living :-D

Besides, I'd say what, about 90% of bosses in MGS games are mental wackos, so this is perfectly par for the course.

KTallguy

Banned
Zenith said:
MGS1 isn't "realistic" but it's nowhere near as cuckoo as the other games and you're being deliberately obstinate not to see that.

there is a huge difference between the bosses in MGS1 and the subsequent games. in MGS1 it could all be grouped under "paranormal". a psychic soldier was as outlandish as it got. but MGS2 is far and away more out there. Vampires? Roller blading? total fantasy.

Yea, although I think these new bosses are interesting and cool, I hope that there are also more "human" bosses spread out, with more story to them.

I'm replaying MGS1 and the characters are just so awesome... the bosses all have great characterization. I hope that as weird as these bosses are, there's some kind of interesting story to tie them all to the plot.

Fighting these guys will definitely be a good time though :)

MCD

chespace said:

I know you are joking, silly.

and yes...this shiny metal ass is tempting.

Phoenix Down said:
Kojima is a genius.... I wonder what negative things the TXB guys about the Bosses.. i want a laugh

Who the fuck cares?

BTW: I like how two of the new bosses(Octopus and um...Psycho) have fully modelled feet, toes and everything. I think I'm going to be really weirded out when I'm pausing in the middle of boss fights to check out their nice looking feet(well nice being a relative term considering their crazy armor/DNA/skin/whatever)

At least the bosses are cool looking, unlike the gang from MGS2 =/.

chespace said:

Glad you were joking about the muslim's we don't need another racial game debate.

The bosses have always been crazy. Psychomantis was F-cking Wierd in the first game and made Meryl say some really weird stuff. MGS2 had Vamp, Fatman, and a bunch of crazy characters. Personally I like the crazy bosses since they all have different strengths. The "retarded" bosses makes things more interesting and gives a lot of different gameplay to each boss. Rather than getting in a boring shoot out for every boss. Plus the games have always been gory from MGS1-3.

Oh yeah I'm loving the amount of gore!

Rufus

Zenith said:

So wait... Vampires are not paranormal? And "paranormal" is not fantasy? I agree that it has gotten 'thicker' over time, more freaks in rapid succession, so to speak, but actually freakier (Psycho Mantis, Vulcan Raven, Grey Fox, Decoy Octopus, less freaky?)? No, that's a stretch. "Conventional" paranormal characters are still paranormal (fantasy, sci-fi) characters, no matter which way you cut it.

jett

D-Member
The only retardation here is the people saying MGS is realistic. Lawlz. Never been in gameplay, storyline, or presentation.

Top Bottom