• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mgs4 scans - bosses shown

I like them. They are amazing. I mean they are reborn Foxhound members right?
I cant wait for this shit. I mean really...this will be so awesome. A lil pee went into my pants....shit.

jett said:
The only retardation here is the people saying MGS is realistic. Lawlz. Never been in gameplay, storyline, or presentation.

yeah, seriously. mgs1 had a cyborg ninja, a walking tank and an ex-kgb agent, gifted with psychokinesis. how anyone could consider this as realistic is far beyond me.

Darkpen

Banned
Sato Koiji said:
I like them. They are amazing. I mean they are reborn Foxhound members right?
I cant wait for this shit. I mean really...this will be so awesome. A lil pee went into my pants....shit.

yes, they are reborn foxhound members. Be sure to look forward for this game and totally get your face blown away by the game's story.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zenith said:
Vampires? Roller blading? total fantasy.
So a guy on roller blades is more weird "out there" fantasy to you than someone who floats above the ground using nothing but his own mind, and has telekinetic powers. What the hell now...

Zenith

Banned
Rufus said:
So wait... Vampires are not paranormal? And "paranormal" is not fantasy? I agree that it has gotten 'thicker' over time, more freaks in rapid succession, so to speak, but actually freakier (Psycho Mantis, Vulcan Raven, Grey Fox, Decoy Octopus, less freaky?)? No, that's a stretch. "Conventional" paranormal characters are still paranormal (fantasy, sci-fi) characters, no matter which way you cut it.

I meant paranormal as in the genre, like X-files. Mantis's psychic powers and Vulcan's unexplained supernatural strength was all there was in the way of weirdness. Even Grey Fox's exoskeleton fitted in with the "near future science fiction" theme. the new Metal Gears go way beyond that though.

are people seriously saying that an M1A1 Abrams tank is on the same level of plausiblilty as an immortal vampire who can run on water?

So a guy on roller blades is more weird "out there" fantasy to you than someone who floats above the ground using nothing but his own mind powers, and has telekinetic powers. What the hell now

too dense to get the joke? I understand.

Ploid 3.0

Ganondorfo said:
Snake is unbeatable you hear me?

I think Snake might get owned this mgs. He's living on borrowed time. If Fox die don't get him, his fragile body will cause his death. Expect it to be dramatic and him putting up a fight even if he have to use one arm to shoot and to crawl and shoot with the other arm. The deck is definately stacked. Meryl will have to step up, or as Raiden said in the trailer, the Cyber Ninja will have to help snake. I can't wait to see what happens. I hope it's a really good story, the gameplay seems to be in place. After MGS3 they have the experience to make more awesome events.

KTallguy

Banned
Zenith said:
are people seriously saying that an M1A1 Abrams tank is on the same level of plausiblilty as an immortal vampire who can run on water?

The Tank was probably the most "meh" of the bosses in MGS1, although it was still entertaining.

Kojima has gone wackier and wackier with each installment, but that doesn't mean that these bosses are without substance. He's going to take our expectations for the MGS series and turn them completely upside down, because that's what Kojima does!

And that's what makes his games so interesting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Even Grey Fox's exoskeleton fitted in with the "near future science fiction" theme. the new Metal Gears go way beyond that though.
They are no different in concept to Cyborg Ninja. Only more advanced, which is to be expected because the game takes place further in future.

Benig that they are technology based, these things to me seem a lot more believable than Psycho Mantis for example, which I flat out know simply doesn't, and can't exist.

With this, and what I quoted above from you, I really don't get you, except that you probably prefer "paranormal" suspension of belief to "future technology" suspension of belief.

Just call them Foxhound :D

They are really awesome. All fights were great (Snake VS. Foxhound; Raiden Vs. Death Cell; Big Boss Vs. Cobras) and this one will make its way to legendary status as well.

Mantis is fucking back...do you know what that means? Mantis is the best Boss in history of Videogaming (or atleast equal with Sephiroth).
Cant wait to get this game...

Zenith

Banned
Marconelly said:
They are no different in concept to Cyborg Ninja. Only more advanced, which is to be expected because the game takes place further in future.

Benig that they are technology based, these things to me seem a lot more believable than Psycho Mantis for example.

but they're way, way more advanced. there are different levels of science fiction. If MGS1 was on the same level of tech as, say, Deus Ex then MGS4 is FF13.

With this, and what I quoted above from you, I really don't get you, except that you probably prefer "paranormal" suspension of belief to "future technology" suspension of belief.

no, I liked Rex as a boss. but again, he was clunky enough to be in the realms of near-future tech. tentacle head and batman aren't. it's like how I prefer Children of Men's sci-fi settting to Battlefield Earth's.

Zenith said:
I meant paranormal as in the genre, like X-files. Mantis's psychic powers and Vulcan's unexplained supernatural strength was all there was in the way of weirdness. Even Grey Fox's exoskeleton fitted in with the "near future science fiction" theme. the new Metal Gears go way beyond that though.

It's not THAT implausible for the new Metal Gears to be as advanced as they are in the latest trailer, especially considering the game takes place a decade after Shadow Moses.

Of course not, but I'll give Vamp the benefit of the doubt because we still haven't been given the full story on him.

I think the designs are fantastic...I mean compare the modelling to stuff like gears or TH....amazingly realised. Given that the snake model is exactly the same model in cutscenes...its great

Darkpen

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
I think Snake might get owned this mgs. He's living on borrowed time. If Fox die don't get him, his fragile body will cause his death. Expect it to be dramatic and him putting up a fight even if he have to use one arm to shoot and to crawl and shoot with the other arm. The deck is definately stacked. Meryl will have to step up, or as Raiden said in the trailer, the Cyber Ninja will have to help snake. I can't wait to see what happens. I hope it's a really good story, the gameplay seems to be in place. After MGS3 they have the experience to make more awesome events.
Somehow, I feel like he'll die a really pitiful death. The T.S. Eliot quote by Rosa's voice (who's actually the JFK AI, alongside GW, at the end of the game), about the world not ending with a bang, but a whimper, kind of echoes in my head right now, especially when thinking about Old Snake. I dunno, I'm really curious about how he's going to die, how its going to end.

If anything, I hope Kojima doesn't
pull a JK Rowling
on us.

hyonoid

MGS1

Military......Animal

Vulcan........Raven
Sniper........Wolf
Psycho........Mantis
Decoy.........Octopus

Emotions

The Joy (The Boss)
The Sorrow
The Fury
The Pain

MGS 1 with MGS 3:

Emotion........Animal

Laughing.....Octopus_____(decoy octopus + the joy)
Raging.............Raven_____ __(vulcan raven + the fury)
Crying.............Wolf______ __(sniper wolf + the sorrow)
Screaming....Mantis______(psycho mantis + (the fury ou the pain)

:D

It ll be so sad when Snake dies. I mean all his life he was fighting and unable to have kids. This is so sad and hes so old now. It will truly be an emotional end to this legendary series.

Darkpen

Banned
hyonoid said:
MGS1

Military......Animal

Vulcan........Raven
Sniper........Wolf
Psycho........Mantis
Decoy.........Octopus

Emotions

The Joy (The Boss)
The Sorrow
The Fury
The Pain

MGS 1 with MGS 3:

Emotion........Animal

Yeah, someone already pointed that out, but yeah, good stuff.

Master Z

Why are people so quick to judge here? How about we wait until you play the game and then we'll see just how awesome or not these bosses really are...

jett

D-Member
After seeing the trailer(with the song "time after time" in the Gamespot vid, that was weird), and after reading che's comments on "gratutous violence", that video was a little disappointing. Looks like someone is just looking for reasons to hate~

hyonoid said:
MGS1

Military......Animal

Vulcan........Raven
Sniper........Wolf
Psycho........Mantis
Decoy.........Octopus

Emotions

The Joy (The Boss)
The Sorrow
The Fury
The Pain

MGS 1 with MGS 3:

Emotion........Animal

Awesome!

Good thinking here.

Rufus

Zenith said:
I meant paranormal as in the genre, like X-files.
Again, "conventional" paranormal characters are just as paranormal as any other. You can't fault MGS for expanding in every direction over time, because at its core it's still the same thing.

Zenith said:
Mantis's psychic powers and Vulcan's unexplained supernatural strength was all there was in the way of weirdness. Even Grey Fox's exoskeleton fitted in with the "near future science fiction" theme. the new Metal Gears go way beyond that though.
Some time has passed since then, technology advanced. (Now don't tell me it has advanced too much. It's a fictional universe that stated out with crazy shit and has since gone in that direction.) There's your explanation.

Zenith said:
You can't really declare one fantasy more plausible over another when it comes to paranormal characters. In the same game you fought the tank you also fought a guy who levitates and controls peoples' minds. Likewise, in MGS2, which featured a vampire, you fought a Harrier and a crazy fat guy on rollerblades who had a thing for explosives. That's quite 'normal' too, isn't it?

Darkpen

Banned
I wonder though, will you have to fight them even if you join the PMC side? Who's side are they on to begin with? Just what are they really after?

Dalauz

Darkpen said:
mgspoplus.gif
please tell me there is a video about this!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zenith said:
but they're way, way more advanced. there are different levels of science fiction. If MGS1 was on the same level of tech as, say, Deus Ex then MGS4 is FF13.
I don't really think they are way more advanced that Cyborg Ninja. Why do you think they are? Because one has mechanical tentacles and the other can float? They could seem that way because they are rendered in so much more detail now, but I don't think they are functionally *that* much more advanced.

MGS1 had Rex, MGS2 had Ray, which was already a lot more advanced, this is simply expected to be a cut above that, as it's further in the future. Hell, today we already have military robots less clunky than Rex.

Aggelos

Marconelly said:
Perhaps mental institution wackos on Iron Cyberland where you must be living :-D

Besides, I'd say what, about 90% of bosses in MGS games are mental wackos, so this is perfectly par for the course.
:lol

Ok letme rephrase it: They look unprecedentedly uncanny/eerie/unearthly....
We haven't seen something like this before. I hope they have an-ace-in-the-whole gameplay-wise and story-wise...

jett

D-Member
Darkpen said:
I wonder though, will you have to fight them even if you join the PMC side? Who's side are they on to begin with? Just what are they really after?

The whole "joining sides" shit is going to be extremely superficial and irrelevant to the storyline, just you wait and see.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Aggelos said:
Ok letme rephrase it: They look unprecedentedly uncanny/eerie/unearthly....
We haven't seen something like this before.
I agree with that 101%. That's what makes them so damn scary and weirdly awesome to me though.

BigBoss

jett said:
The whole "joining sides" shit is going to be extremely superficial and irrelevant to the storyline, just you wait and see.

Kojima has already said that the story will not change whether you side with the PMC or the militia.

EDIT: I take back my bitching from last night, I actually like the bosses now.

Darkpen

Banned
jett said:
I disagree.

And to add to what I said, if you guys rewatch the trailer (or noticed it the first time around), it seems that Mantis bows to Snake, acknowledging his presence, as it would be awfully weird if she was bowing to thin air, as if the whole thing was a performance (though, I suppose there would be some credit to that seeing how she uses puppets and all).

Dalauz said:
please tell me there is a video about this!
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22383.html

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Zenith said:
no, I liked Rex as a boss. but again, he was clunky enough to be in the realms of near-future tech. tentacle head and batman aren't. it's like how I prefer Children of Men's sci-fi settting to Battlefield Earth's.
Ey, someone who has a similar opinon as me. Didn't expect that this would happen in here. ;)
Yeah, the new bosses from the trailer are really weird. Like some sort of Power Rangers stuff. Man, I bet they will unite themselfs in the course of the game and become a giant robot. And no, this was unfortunatly not a joke.

Darkpen

Banned
BigBoss said:
Kojima has already said that the story will not change whether you side with the PMC or the militia.

EDIT: I take back my bitching from last night, I actually like the bosses now.
I thought he said it will?

It'd be nice if after you defeat them you get to find out their real identity.
Maybe one of them will turn out to be Rose...or Olga..or..nevermind.

Not that I expect it or anything but yeah...it would be nice.

Ploid 3.0

Zenith said:

In the world of MGS tech advance way faster than our world. They live on fighting and build weapons to fight like we do but their pace is just far too fast to be realistic. It's expected for those bosses to be so sophisticated. If everything was like MGS1 and all stealth bombers, lazer missile defense stuff something went wrong with their need for weapons (they stopped fighting, or all the scientists got bombed).

Darkpen

Banned
TheExorzist said:
Ey, someone who has a similar opinon as me. Didn't expect that this would happen in here. ;)
Yeah, the new bosses from the trailer are really weird. Like some sort of Power Rangers stuff. Man, I bet they will unite themselfs in the course of the game and become a giant robot. And no, this was unfortunatly not a joke.

sigh

Aggelos

jett said:

I have a same feeling especially about the superficial part. Back in MGS3, Kojima was presenting the jungle setting in the interviews as huge & big-ass, infact he said so big and rambling that you could lose your way without a map. When I played it the jungle-areas were linear (with some minor exceptions). Thus I felt that Kojima promises about big-ass jungle-setting were presented in a superficial way afterall.....

Darkpen

Banned
SuperAndroid17 said:
so what are they for sure? reborn guys from previous MGS? Men? Robots? Animals? Women? :lol
They're women and they're robots. Don't know about Wolf though... that just seems to be a robot.

Hot, I know.

Darkpen said:
They're women and they're robots. Don't know about Wolf though... that just seems to be a robot.

Hot, I know.

The trailer was playing up the feminine aspects of Wolf just a bit too much IMO. They spent..what...10 seconds of the trailer staring at her/it's ass?

Darkpen

Banned
Aggelos said:
I have a same feeling especially about the superficial part. Back in MGS3, Kojima was presenting the jungle setting in the interviews as huge & big-ass, infact he said so big and rambling that you could lose your way without a map. When I played it the jungle-areas were linear (with some minor exceptions). Thus I felt that Kojima promises about big-ass jungle-setting were presented in a superficial way afterall.....
True... true...

you guys are right, the creeping feeling is certainly there, especially after MGS3. If anything, joining sides will impact gameplay, but I just wish it would impact the story as well.

GrayFoxPL

chespace said:
Sigh. The more I see of this game the more it brings me reluctantly back, body and soul, to MGS2 with all the gene control ambiguity and Fatman quality boss designs.

I think you mistook strong acid for an eye drops somewhere in the past.

neptunes

hyonoid said:
MGS1

Military......Animal

Vulcan........Raven
Sniper........Wolf
Psycho........Mantis
Decoy.........Octopus

Emotions

The Joy (The Boss)
The Sorrow
The Fury
The Pain

MGS 1 with MGS 3:

Emotion........Animal

sorry for quoting you again,

but WOW, pretty good analysis there.

jett

D-Member
Aggelos said:

Kojima always makes a big deal about stuff that really isn't.

Trailer looks dope, and i like the boss designs if by any chance most of the enemies are like this in the next metal gear and raiden is the main character its going to be a fun ride.

And fuck it i am still living in hope of snake dying but being reborn with a mechanical exoskeleton and then metal gear surely would become completely solid.

Top Bottom