• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes - Spoilers Thread - #TeamBowie

What?
I don't even understand the reasoning behind that image.

That reminds me, something happened to me last Thursday when I was driving home. I had a couple of miles to go, I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east! It was moving very irregularly... Suddenly, there was intense light all around me -- and when I came to, I was home.
What do you think happened to me?

beastmode

http://youtu.be/gIF-RxsegtQ?t=8m45s

SsFSOZ4l.jpg

XKRqSByl.png

MGS2 - 2009
Zero - Born August 12, 1909, Exeter, England

An Anemone, or Clematis Plant's juice, can cause a rash. When pruning them, it's a good idea to wear gloves.

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days. What were you in your former life?

Hmm, how can one of the names be ''one of our biggest contributors" if they have been dead for a century?
Because the Patriots were using the name as a smoke screen, most likely. Also remember that the Patriots are AI by this point.

Not that any of this is related to whatever beastmode is trying to say (I think he's joking, maybe?)

beastmode

John Doe had many spies in MGS4.

The Phantom
Sorrow

j99tjGgl.jpg

And one who was once his child, The Phantom
Boss

RxjOQaL.jpg

He even involved his granddaughter's spirit,
"Peace,"
the same soul he used to control his daughter before Ocelot hijacked SOP. Back in Tselinoyarsk, before the Virtuous Mission.

UllH4Kxl.jpg

Who once again, failed to follow orders and kill Snake.

I'm not joking. Skull Face in GZ is literally Zero's Phantom,
Colonel Campbell.
That's why Skull Face by the time of TPP has different mannerisms/a mask ~ because that's not exactly the same Skull Face anymore. He's already changed his stripes.

Spaghetti

invoking the mgs2 ai mindfuck would be perfect for the phantom pain...

we saw weaponised ai in peace walker. now let's see controlling, self aware ai.

The Phantom
Sorrow

Boss

"Peace,"
the same soul he used to control his daughter before Ocelot hijacked SOP. Back in Tselinoyarsk, before the Virtuous Mission.

Colonel Campbell.
That's why Skull Face by the time of TPP has different mannerisms/a mask ~ because that's not exactly the same Skull Face anymore. He's already changed his stripes.

What on Earth are you talking about?

beastmode

This is how far people go to render Portable Ops non-canon.
Could you imagine Skull Face still being in Zero's corpse 6 yrs after Snake Eater?
"Roy Campbell" More like Ocelot's man, Kazuhira Miller...

http://youtu.be/5EOlZyD26T4

Null didn't work out. Big Boss surviving the wiping of MSF gave him a great opportunity, though. Zero is now in the the mind of his nemesis' hero. The spirit of the warrior isn't the only one talking to Snake now.

KWp6oh1l.jpg

oZbdYUdl.jpg

The Phantom
Sorrow

Boss

"Peace,"

Colonel Campbell.

Nothing personal, my friend, but your theory makes literally no sense. Where are you getting these ideas from, just out of curiosity?

NeoGiff

Could you imagine Skull Face still being in Zero's corpse 6 yrs after Snake Eater?
"Roy Campbell" More like Ocelot's man, Kazuhira Miller...

http://youtu.be/5EOlZyD26T4

Null didn't work out. Big Boss surviving the wiping of MSF gave him a great opportunity, though. Zero is now in the the mind of his nemesis' hero. The spirit of the warrior isn't the only one talking to Snake now.

KWp6oh1l.jpg

oZbdYUdl.jpg

What are you even trying to say? The only thing I got from this was the similar positioning of both scars.

I actually think the Skull Face = Colonel AI thing is a great theory. When you think about it the Patriot AIs were the true main antagonist of the series, Zero lost faith in humanity when Big Boss was rendered a vegetable and he trusted the Artificial Intelligence to carry on his will. But it's said that the Patriot AIs eventually deviated from Zero's will and became their own villain at some point after Zanzibar Land.

Now in Peace Walker it was revealed that Strangelove was the architect behind the initial AIs, and in Ground Zeroes it's revealed that Skull Face destroyed Motherbase on his own with the aid of a "scientist" that way his way in. In a sense, there's a lot of signs already at this point that Zero's presumed role as this evil puppetmaster of the series and it's problems is a bit of a misunderstanding, because he didn't give any order to destroy Motherbase and while he did activate the AIs he never intended them to become what they did and they don't represent the legacy he wanted, they weren't his true memes. And when Solid Snake put Big Boss down (Kojima seems to be making it clear he was a threat to the world, not just the Patriots at this point), Zero mourned him.

So we never really have seen him as a "bad guy", and we may never do so despite him being made the face of the Patriots. But then if you look at Skull Face he's a true villain, in fact I'd say he is the most terrifying and interesting villain since actually getting to talk to JFK/JD in MGS2 and he's totally stealing the spotlight from Zero in this one as MGSV's antagonist. Though coincidence, the AI Colonel even had a "Skull Face" during him glitching out. Now if you look at Strangelove, this is just another theory, but she probably had something to do with convincing Huey about the inspection and letting Skull Face and company in. It makes sense that when she was done with Zeke, she'd move on to new opportunities like Miller said... something that "surpasses" Zeke and according to Ocelot after interrogating Huey he told him that "Cipher is pursuing new research, he claims what they're doing in Africa is the missing piece... a weapon to surpass Metal Gear".

At that point Big Boss and Miller think that Skull Face is just an underling of Zero, and that they're fighting Cipher, but it's safe to say if Strangelove helped Skull Face with destroying Motherbase that she is taking orders from him rather than Zero because he explicitly never ordered for Motherbase to be destroyed, meaning that we can assume that the weapon to surpass Metal Gear has something to do with Skull Face. If the base for the Patriot AI network Zero and Sigint activated were procured from the traces of the weapon Strangelove constructed in the 80s for Skull Face, could it not be that somehow Strangelove embedded the AIs with Skull Face's conscience the same way Peace Walker was basically a recreation of the Boss? So even though Skull Face dies, he lived on as a ghost in the machine before they were destroyed in MGS4?

oracrest

I played through the first mission, and put EVERYONE onto the helicopter. I was curious if it did anything special, which it didn't. But it was fun to be able to run around without worrying to find all the patches. I was hoping it would at least tell me how many soldiers I hijacked, but it didn't list that either.

And then, way after the area was cleared, I discovered that you can disable the electricity to the interior area (inside the fences, not where Paz is)

I'm pretty sure the reason the Colonel turns into a "skull" in MGS2 is not to reference Skullface, but because the AI created the Colonel personality from Raiden's expectations, and that the Colonel's appearance is literally just a skin that it is wearing.

Alright now that it's been restated differently the theory makes a bit more sense. I still don't think SkullFace is JD, but yes, its a cool theory.
The thing you have to keep in mind is just how much he wants Zero dead. He knows full well Cipher is Zero and is essentially just biding his time until he can strike against him effectively.

Now what I want to know, because it's quite possible I missed something, is why everyone I'd saying Strangelove is working with Skull Face. What brought about those accusations?

Hurley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

Liberation is at hand!
This is specified as the only time the master AI talks (known as JFK before MGS4) in the script.

"To begin with - we're not what you'd call - human. Over the past two hundred years - a kind of consciousness formed layer by layer in the crucible of the White House. It's not unlike the way life started in the oceans four billion years ago. The White House was our primordial soup, a base of evolution - We are formless. We are the very discipline and morality that Americans invoke so often.

How can anyone hope to eliminate us? As long as this nation exists, so will we."

That, along with the music still gives me the creeps.

Alright now that it's been restated differently the theory makes a bit more sense. I still don't think SkullFace is JD, but yes, its a cool theory.
The thing you have to keep in mind is just how much he wants Zero dead. He knows full well Cipher is Zero and is essentially just biding his time until he can strike against him effectively.

Now what I want to know, because it's quite possible I missed something, is why everyone I'd saying Strangelove is working with Skull Face. What brought about those accusations?

Because people are thinking its odd she left early before the whole Shebang at the end of ground zeroes and pretty much had Huey on her tip.

I'm pretty sure the reason the Colonel turns into a "skull" in MGS2 is not to reference Skullface, but because the AI created the Colonel personality from Raiden's expectations, and that the Colonel's appearance is literally just a skin that it is wearing.
Yeah I agree, but Kojima has a tendency to take something obscure from earlier in the series and retcon new meanings behind them.

Because people are thinking its odd she left early before the whole Shebang at the end of ground zeroes and pretty much had Huey on her tip.

Ah I see.... She left about a week before it happened, yes? While Big Boss wasn't around. I suppose that would definitely raise some red flags, but I'm not sure I believe she's betrayed MSF after all the crap she went through by the end of PW. Still, guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Ah I see.... She left about a week before it happened, yes? While Big Boss wasn't around. I suppose that would definitely raise some red flags, but I'm not sure I believe she's betrayed MSF after all the crap she went through by the end of PW. Still, guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Wasn't there some angle to her where she'll switch alleigances on the fly for the sake of science? And you do have to admit the fact that her AIs has the same names as the Patriot ones is really suspicious about her future. It makes more sense for Strangelove to betray them outright than Huey.

Still think Huey did it though....

Wait, I wonder if Otacon slept with Strangelove and that's why Huey did himself in......seems in character Strangelove and Huey is almost obsessed with her.

beastmode

"Jack" is Zero's insurance policy in case his best agent,
The Sorrow
, fell in battle. After he was killed by Zero's own daughter and she went missing...

V
olgin
was one of "non-existent" subjects himself, made for taking over his "father's" role of covertly co-opting the USSR, that's why Zero had Ocelot slip him the "Legacy." Something Ocelot told Boss was the key to a trust fund her "dead" father once mentioned.

"Go home!" to where Zero turned John into Jack and The Boss into
Strangelove?
In various sites around the Pacific Ocean, Shadow Moses/Japan/Bikini Atoll. Jack wasn't really a nuclear test subject. His irradiation was from Volgin's nuke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CmVcvBBrM8

The Patriots = Everyone on Zero's nomad. This is why Big Boss refers to the "Patriots" having killed him again in Naked Sin. That's why Ocelot planned for Big Boss and Zero to mutally kill each other. Dr. Madnar kept his word however, and transferred him to "Campbell."

http://youtu.be/ZmtvTJSygcY?t=10m5s

"The Boss" in codec? That dude (
The guy whose body is Skull Face???
) right beside Para-Medic. Sokolov?
Dr. Madnar/Kio Marv.

Donald Anderson? A martyr. Laughing Octopus = The Boss, Decoy Octopus, Solidus Snake.

XOF = Paradise Lost Army circa 1974.

The Sons of Big Boss = Blood relatives of Zero. Code Talker is his most recent common ancestor with Vulcan Raven, and whom he learned his ghost powers from.

Yeah I agree, but Kojima has a tendency to take something obscure from earlier in the series and retcon new meanings behind them.
Yeah but this is way too much. Not every character gets injected into the "grand scheme", even if most of them did. Volgin for example is such a character, and I expect Skullface will be too.

Yeah but this is way too much. Not every character gets injected into the "grand scheme", even if most of them did. Volgin for example is such a character, and I expect Skullface will be too.
I dunno, I'd say Zero as just being Naked Snake's CO and having his passphrase being "La Li Lu Le Lo" in MGS3 to literally being leader of the Patriots in MGS4 was a bigger leap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

Liberation is at hand!
This is specified as the only time the master AI talks (known as JFK before MGS4) in the script.
Damn I kind of regret being a teenager at the time I played MGS2 for the first time. I now appreciate it more.

I really like this passage :
But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness.
Never fading, always accessible.
Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander...
All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate.
It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution.
Raiden, you seem to think that our plan is one of censorship.
You're being silly! What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.
The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths.
Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum.
They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.

So close to today's Internet.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Did you guys notice that the Medic fell on Big Boss after the explosion right before both choppers crashed?

"Jack" is Zero's insurance policy in case his best agent,
The Sorrow
, fell in battle. After he was killed by Zero's own daughter and she went missing...

V
olgin
was one of "non-existent" subjects himself, made for taking over his "father's" role of covertly co-opting the USSR, that's why Zero had Ocelot slip him the "Legacy." Something Ocelot told Boss was the key to a trust fund her "dead" father once mentioned.

"Go home!" to where Zero turned John into Jack and The Boss into
Strangelove?
In various sites around the Pacific Ocean, Shadow Moses/Japan/Bikini Atoll. Jack wasn't really a nuclear test subject. His irradiation was from Volgin's nuke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CmVcvBBrM8

The Patriots = Everyone on Zero's nomad. This is why Big Boss refers to the "Patriots" having killed him again in Naked Sin. That's why Ocelot planned for Big Boss and Zero to mutally kill each other. Dr. Madnar kept his word however, and transferred him to "Campbell."

http://youtu.be/ZmtvTJSygcY?t=10m5s

"The Boss" in codec? That dude (
The guy whose body is Skull Face???
) right beside Para-Medic. Sokolov?
Dr. Madnar/Kio Marv.

Donald Anderson? A martyr. Laughing Octopus = The Boss, Decoy Octopus, Solidus Snake.

XOF = Paradise Lost Army circa 1974.

The Sons of Big Boss = Blood relatives of Zero. Code Talker is his most recent common ancestor with Vulcan Raven, and whom he learned his ghost powers from.

And we're back to not making sense again... Someone want to translate for me? I can't follow most of what was said here to save my life.... and I know most of the series inside and out...
Zero didn't have a daughter that I know of, btw... Correct me if I'm wrong though, please.

Just to clarify, I have no idea what beastmode is talking about either :p I've just seen the Skull Face = JD thing been brought up before, where it was more comprehensible.

JayEH

How the hell does Huey have Otacon? I know TPP trailers show him with some robot leg things but he still is crippled, isn't he?

Just to clarify, I have no idea what beastmode is talking about either :p I've just seen the Skull Face = JD thing been brought up before, where it was more comprehensible.

Noted! I'm standing behind that idea that beastmode was sent by Kojima to throw us off.

How the hell does Huey have Otacon? I know TPP trailers show him with some robot leg things but he still is crippled, isn't he?

Doesn't mean he's infertile.... and that is the last time I ever want to think about Huey having sex...

Top Bottom