• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - If David Hayter Voiced the REAL Big Boss

Yeah, that would have helped a little., at least. The game play was fine, but having most of everything take place in audio tapes was another thing I did not like about the game. It's the only mgs I played via someone elses copy and refuse to buy.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
The fact that you have to skip through minutes of video to find single lines of dialog really shows you how weird this game was. I always got the impression that Kiefer was expensive, so they got him in once and once only. So when they went to change things around and cut things up, they had no way of recording the new lines and had to work around what they already had in the can.

Complete speculation on my part, but something always felt really off with there being so little dialog from the main character the second Kojima got his big Hollywood star wank fantasy fulfilled.

radewagon

Keifer did fine. To be honest, I'm glad for the change. The different voice created some much needed distance between who Naked Snake was and who he eventually became. This was the first game where I felt as though I was playing as Big Boss and not just the guy who would one day become Big Boss.

And yes, I am aware of the irony of saying that it finally felt like we were playing as a fully realized Big Boss. I'd almost say that the change was made because of the Venom Snake indentity reveal if not for the fact that OG Big Boss was also voiced by Keifer.

Thabass

To me this ruins the surprise of Big Boss in the beginning. Not there was much surprised to be had. Still you had to realize why Keifer was playing two different people with the same voice, lol. It was hard not to realize that Ishmael was indeed the true Big Boss.

Keifer did fine. To be honest, I'm glad for the change. The different voice created some much needed distance between who Naked Snake was and who he eventually became. This was the first game where I felt as though I was playing as Big Boss and not just the guy who would one day become Big Boss.

And yes, I am aware of the irony of saying that it finally felt like we were playing as a fully realized Big Boss. I'd almost say that the change was made because of the Venom Snake indentity reveal if not for the fact that OG Big Boss was also voiced by Keifer.

I appreciate it, too, but I also feel like the guy who played Big Boss at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots would have been a better suitor for Big Boss. Maybe that's just me tho. Either way, I didn't mind Keifer's performance.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

The fact that you have to skip through minutes of video to find single lines of dialog really shows you how weird this game was. I always got the impression that Kiefer was expensive, so they got him in once and once only. So when they went to change things around and cut things up, they had no way of recording the new lines and had to work around what they already had in the can.

Complete speculation on my part, but something always felt really off with there being so little dialog from the main character the second Kojima got his big Hollywood star wank fantasy fulfilled.

Not directed at you, but don't know how kiefer would be expensive as a) he hasn't been relevant since the 1980s (besides 24) and b) his dad is cooler.

It was such a weird/shit choice.

KOMANI

KOMANI

Dan Ryckert confirmed this when telling a story during Metal Gear Scanlon. He said something along the lines of ,”gameinformer were trying to get an interview with Sutherland for his COD work but found out he’s really expensive”.

Top Bottom