• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - MB Coins pricing spotted on PSN

myco666

One of the developers tweeted that you could earn them in game, but so far none of the reviewers (or people who got the game early) are reporting that they've got any in game.

Could it be possible that they will activate/patch them in once it releases so that people who got the game early don't get a head start on acquiring those coins?

Retail games shouldn't have microtransactions at all but when you have more expensive microtransactions packs in sale than the base game there is seriously something wrong. Hopefully they haven't made acquiring them in game a pain in the ass.

Sakujou

Banned
so there is no way to get those coins in game? someone said ealier that its possible to acquire some of those coins due daily logins...?

Sayad

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the amount of FOBs also seem to influence how many simultaneous missions you can send your motherbase soldiers on.

For example, I have two missions pending but I can't start a third one because the game tells me I need additional FOBs to send out more units. Not sure if this is related.
I have 3 teams and I think I've sent them all at once, ie, when you can't, your third team probably don't have enough members or doesn't meet some other requirement for the mission.

Will have to make sure when I get back home in an hour or so.

These prices are beyond ridiculous and knowing Konami I'm sure earning them in game is going to be damn slog. Thanks a lot Konami for trying to get every last cent from everyone before we swear off your company forever.

Dawg

I thought FOB stuff was multiplayer invasion stuff?, but you're saying FOB is also single player stuff?, bit like sending assassins on missions in assassins creed?

Yes.

Like in Peace Walker, you can send your soldiers on missions that reward you with GMP, resources and even blueprints. Now... these mission take place in real-time, like Assassin's Creed.

For some reason though, I can start more than two of them at the same time. Whenever I try to start a third one, I get the message that I should expand my FOBs to send out more soldiers.

If this is connected to those pricey FOB expansions, I'll be very disappointed.

Dawg

I have 3 teams and I think I've sent them all at once, ie, when you can't, your third team probably don't have enough members or doesn't meet some other requirement for the mission.

Will have to make sure when I get back home in an hour or so.

I hope you are right and I am wrong. Really do.

RK9039

so there is no way to get those coins in game? someone said ealier that its possible to acquire some of those coins due daily logins...?

Yes, apparently through daily logins. Nothing has been confirmed about getting coins through normal gameplay.

legacyzero

Banned
If Konami taints MGO with this shit, Ill be MEGA PISSED.

Woyldnt surprise me though. Who could forget the lovely Konami ID from MGO2

So about $25 for a new FOB then?.....are we saying that the only way to get these coins is to pay for them?, not seen anything definitive on this as of yet, so if there has been, a link would be good.

What do these FOB's offer?, how much would someone be losing out on in the game if they never got one?

Seeing that I have played for 25 hours without being able to log online and see FOBs, you are not missing anything important. It's just for those that want some PVP action and to invade custom bases.

Those prices are horrifying though. And I have no clue where you get those coins, clearly it's not in the offline game

Sayad

One of the developers tweeted that you could earn them in game, but so far none of the reviewers (or people who got the game early) are reporting that they've got any in game.
Maybe they can be earned in game through PvP only, so he technically didn't lie, you just have to spend IRL money to start earning them in game. :D

geordiemp

Sorry this is just f...g GROSS.

I was about to buy this game today.

No damn way am I buying a game with this in it. No way.

Just out of principal.

Yes.

Like in Peace Walker, you can send your soldiers on missions that reward you with GMP, resources and even blueprints. Now... these mission take place in real-time, like Assassin's Creed.

For some reason though, I can start more than two of them at the same time. Whenever I try to start a third one, I get the message that I should expand my FOBs to send out more soldiers.

If this is connected to those pricey FOB expansions, I'll be very disappointed.

Yes the only way to have more than two missions at a time going is to build FOB, that seems to be the only real benefit, which is not that important. The missions are done like every 20 minutes.

gossi

Maybe they can be earned in game through PvP only, so he technically didn't lie, you just have to spend IRL money to start earning them in game. :D

Oh, I'm not suggesting he lied. My guess would be they have everything disabled at the moment so people buy the game before the Coin PR meltdown happens at launch.

jaxpunk

2wAz8I4.png

The thread. Never change internet!

I'm so glad I bought this game from some dude on ebay selling an nvidia code. I wish I could buy used on PC to further minimize the cash going konami's way.

Rezae

Makes you wonder if this was a major point of tension between Konami and Kojima. I doubt Kojima would have wanted any gameplay to be hindered or designed around microtransactions.

Blobbers

You'd think that spending 80 dollars in addition to the $60 would grant you at the very least an infinite amount of MB coins. Can't even buy all the whathaveyous from the OP picture with 6000 coins.

vg260

Need to know how many hours of grinding $80 will save you.

It better be a hundreds of hours for $80.

But by that token, if it takes that long, perhaps their design is skewed toward forcing you to pay to progress.

Eh, I got the PC version for free thanks to the Batman screw-up, so I'll just play until I hit a wall and move on.

Sayad

If Konami taints MGO with this shit, Ill be MEGA PISSED.
MGO is guaranteed to have micros transaction or some kind of f2p model, Konami wanted MGO sold separately from MGS4 back in 08, they sure as hell wont allow the new MGO to be developed separately for MGSV only to release months later for free without a twist.

Waiting patiently for the offical release of the game to form an opinion.

Ah, there we are. It's like if Metal Gear Rex was just about to stomp on Gray Fox, and he shouted out at the last minute: "I'll wait until it's completely crushed my spine before forming an opinion on whether or not I should try moving".

But they've stated this was in the game and people have been playing the game just fine without any of this stuff.

FOBs and microtransactions have been available for early players?

So much for everything is available to you without paying a single cent. Thanks Konami. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

Technically it is, cause you can earn coins without paying. How much coins and how do you exactly earn them is the biggest mistery of it all and what will determined if these micro transactions affect the single player experience or not.

So far it seems you need to be online to be able to earn coins, i'm almost 35 hours in and i haven't earned a single coin, servers are still offline tho.

Dicer

Banned
Totally gross, it's the f2p model except you are skipping the f2 part....

Fuck Konami, fuck this trend, fuckthisthaeverything.gif

And yet, people will support and pay it, which just sends the wrong message, but some folks just don't friggin care...

Kaze2212

Ah, there we are. It's like if Metal Gear Rex was just about to stomp on Gray Fox, and he shouted out at the last minute: "I'll wait until it's completely crushed my spine before forming an opinion on whether or not I should try moving".

I would put it like that, I would put it as "common sense". Even if the coins will be "fairly easy" to obtain in the game the pricing for the optional purchases are still ridiculous.

Ridley327

You need additional FOB platforms to do certain things in game, no?

I think the more you have, the more assignments you can do simultaneously for your Mother Base staff, but I don't think that prevents you from doing them if you only have the core Mother Base and one FOB.

It is a big change from Peace Walker, though, since that gave you the ability to have at least a dozen dispatch missions going on at once.

danowat

Banned
Seeing that I have played for 25 hours without being able to log online and see FOBs, you are not missing anything important. It's just for those that want some PVP action and to invade custom bases.

Those prices are horrifying though. And I have no clue where you get those coins, clearly it's not in the offline game

Yes the only way to have more than two missions at a time going is to build FOB, that seems to be the only real benefit, which is not that important. The missions are done like every 20 minutes.

So seems to be some confusion over the actual purpose of these then?

Some saying multiplayer / invasion stuff only, and others saying linked to the amount of teams you can send on missions in single player? what do these missions actually do?, provide the player with mats and / or currency?

ironcreed

Banned
Sorry this is just f...g GROSS.

I was about to buy this game today.

No damn way am I buying a game with this in it. No way.

Just out of principal.

I feel dirty. Knowing this shit was in there has already put a damper on my hype. But seeing these prices just makes me feel embarrassed for even pre-ordering. That said, I know the gameplay is incredible and I am sure I will enjoy a well crafted campaign. It's just a shame that I will be washing my hands of it after that because of the greed that taints it.

Top Bottom