• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - The little gameplay details that caught your attention

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
iirc water resistant is for all of Afghanistan invoices and smoke box is all of Africa. Or maybe both Afghanistan and Africa.

I think it's both, plus it doesn't make sense I'm getting a water proof box in a place that doesn't naturally rain in the game.

I just discovered that clicking in the right stick will let you zoom in during cutscenes. And I was at the end of the game before I found that.

Well now I feel dumb
Or else it's been so long since I played MGS2 that I forgot.
It's ok, I've had my moments. While playing Skyward Sword, I got stuck in a room trying to figure out the puzzle that unlocked a door. Turns out the door was never locked to begin with, so all I had to do was walk through it.

Jabba

Banned
Anyone know why fultoned soldiers are not showing up after confirmation they've arrived at Mother Base? My MB is not overcrowded, there's plenty of room for more soldiers. The RnD guys I've fultoned have A+ and higher across their entire skill set, yet no such soldiers exist in the Brig awaiting convincing to join my army or the Hospital being treated for injuries. It's like the game won't register I fultoned them.

Forgot to mention I've canvased my entire staff and I have none of the solders I fultoned with A+ and higher across the board.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anyone know why fultoned soldiers are not showing up after confirmation they've arrived at Mother Base? My MB is not overcrowded, there's plenty of room for more soldiers. The RnD guys I've fultoned have A+ and higher across their entire skill set, yet no such soldiers exist in the Brig awaiting convincing to join my army or the Hospital being treated for injuries. It's like the game won't register I fultoned them.

Forgot to mention I've canvased my entire staff and I have none of the solders I fultoned with A+ and higher across the board.

Boaster?

Jabba

Banned

No, something weird is going on in my current playthrough. I've fultoned a shit ton of solders with great stats that weren't boasters. Unless the scope determines the highest level a soldier can be when they arrive at your mother base. Thing is I just fultoned an S Rank soldier and he's no where to be found.

No, something weird is going on in my current playthrough. I've fultoned a shit ton of solders with great stats that weren't boasters. Unless the scope determines the highest level a soldier can be when they arrive at your mother base. Thing is I just fultoned an S Rank soldier and he's no where to be found.

Probably a silly question, but they're actually making it to base, right (100% chance)? Y'know, Miller's "You're taking him?" or whatever will confirm it.

Also, have you checked the deceased list to see if they left your base somehow?

Tzmhero

Could find
the birthday scene after Quiet is gone
on Youtube. How is it different?

That is where one of the trailers showing her is from.
Basically, you have the same scene as normal, where they give Snake a Cigar but then motion that he can't have it, fade to black. THEN, a new scene starts where Snake kinda sneaks away behind some boxes, then suddenly gunfire hits the boxes and Snake is ready to fight. he looks up, See's Quiet, then looks at the boxes and she wrote basically 'happy birthday day' in sniper fire. The boxes themselves were full of cigars. Snake takes one, looks up to her, and she shoots the tip to light it. he smiles (one fo the rare times we see that) and thanks her.

Ill Saint

Have you checked the brig?

That is where one of the trailers showing her is from.
Basically, you have the same scene as normal, where they give Snake a Cigar but then motion that he can't have it, fade to black. THEN, a new scene starts where Snake kinda sneaks away behind some boxes, then suddenly gunfire hits the boxes and Snake is ready to fight. he looks up, See's Quiet, then looks at the boxes and she wrote basically 'happy birthday day' in sniper fire. The boxes themselves were full of cigars. Snake takes one, looks up to her, and she shoots the tip to light it. he smiles (one fo the rare times we see that) and thanks her.

My question was really
what changes in those scenes when she is gone.
My birthday is later and I already beat the game, so how will the birthday scene change for me?
With Quiet gone, will there be a different scene shown?

Tzmhero

My question was really
what changes in those scenes when she is gone.
My birthday is later and I already beat the game, so how will the birthday scene change for me?
With Quiet gone, will there be a different scene shown?

It just cuts off the second scene completely. I triggered it before getting
Quiet
, it just shows the first scene without the part I described at all.

Sometimes the way checkpoints work in the game will screw up your fultoning progress, and even reset the soldiers' stats on the field. Maybe you reset to a checkpoint and it undid your fultoning progress?

Jabba

Banned
Sometimes the way checkpoints work in the game will screw up your fultoning progress, and even reset the soldiers' stats on the field. Maybe you reset to a checkpoint and it undid your fultoning progress?

Not sure about this but I fulton alot. I also don't let MB get overcrowded.

I know if you mess up before a checkpoint you can turn game off through close application menu. I shot an S Rank soldier by accident, I threw a decoy and the game selected my assault rifle instead my sleep of riot gun, hit the ps button and closed mgs5. On load up the same guy was still there. I got him fultoned but he never showed up at mother base. Just for future reference.

Also overheard two soldiers talking about the two warring tribes in Africa and how the hatred goes back to colonism. The colony government was on the side of the minority tribe. The two soldiers said they couldn't tell the tribes apart and they all looked the same to them. They also said the languages they speak sound the same. One of them said, even the Rhodesians have a hard time telling the Bhutu and other tribe apart and if it's difficult for Rhodesians, outsiders had it even harder.

Man be careful with airstrikes. I was fucking around with bombardment and D Dog was killed. I was on a hill overlooking the ran aground ship in Africa. I put the strike on an enemy which was not close enough to hit me. I noticed for some reason the indicator was too close, I moved a bit away and D Dog didn't follow. He was still too close and I got a D Dog is deceased on the bottom left screen. Forgot to mention, he wasn't fultoned out, he was lying there in a burnt husk. :-(((((((((((!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea if he can die permanently but I didn't get a checkpoint save afterwards, so I immediately hit the ps button, closed Mgs5 and reloaded. D Dog lives on. phheewwww!

Solidus, in my current playthrough, there's no way they were all boasters.

If you are inside a stone structure with a roof, during a sandstorm the wind sounds louder standing up than if you are prone.

Not sure if mentioned but I think I see the Seven sisters constellation in the sky night sky in Afghanistan at the ruins. Yup, the big dipper is in there too.

Coreda

Not a gameplay detail per se but something that didn't occur to me until maybe 10% of the way through is one of the functional reasons for entering the first person viewpoint at the start of every mission is to cleverly conceal the placement of the primary weapon on Big Boss' back before exiting.

The camera pans around his body, sans weapon, enters his head for a few seconds in a Bond-esque manner, then exits into third person view to see him with the primary weapon equipped.

Completely seamless yet an otherwise invisible detail that reveals someone's thought process.

I noticed something similar with several S+ guys that I spotted in the wild but I could only find S guys on MB afterwards.
I can't exclude they were all boasters though I guess.
My base is filled to the last place but that shouldn't really matter anyway?
edit: seems to be boasters, just had another one and this time I checked their skills.

Broritos

Found out that driving passed a pole on the road gives off that *whoosh* sound that you would hear in real life when you...drive passed a pole.

last night was able to repetitively shoot the pilot of a helicopter... blood spatters all inside the cockpit window and it begins to spiral out of control

thing is, I can never do it on my first shot... even with the anti-material and if use the reflex mode pill and visually can confirm the first shot hit the window in front of his head, it never actually piercing the window and it's always the second shot that kills the pilot.

anyone ever one-shot a helicopter pilot while it's flying?

It's my cousin's bday and he said when he turned on Metal Gear, Miller says there is an emergency back at mother base. When you get there they sing happy birthday to you and Quiet shoots letters into some boxes.

Actually I found a new one too... new to me at least...

Diamond Dog soldiers learn new languages from other Diamond Dogs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDY1kCvFZv8

The video just shows an example of one of the mission characters that you can recruit, and at the start of the game he has just 1 language and very late in the game he has 5 languages. It then Sorts soldiers by Recruit Date, and as you can see, all the oldest soldiers that have been around a long time since the early parts of the game all have 4-7 languages. Yet all the most recent soldiers only have 1-3 in most cases.

By and large it's pointless... In fact,
it could even hurt you
. But it's a cool detail... fits the 'soldiers with borders' or nations within a nation and the general multi-cultural 'we accept all dogs, from all corners' theme to Diamond Dogs.

JackelZXA

My favorite thing is a fortunate side effect of the online resources system (Bet you never thought anyone would say that). If you clear your save and start over, you keep all the gmp and resources from your online bank, which lets you make VERY different decisions on that playthrough early on. Considering how much precious metal and fuel resources I had stored up, this meant that I could basically never run out of money on my second run, because i end up getting about as much coming in as I did the first time, but i still have all THOSE resources, too. I'm not even to africa and I've nearly got a full lv4 platform on all sides.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
My favorite thing is a fortunate side effect of the online resources system (Bet you never thought anyone would say that). If you clear your save and start over, you keep all the gmp and resources from your online bank, which lets you make VERY different decisions on that playthrough early on. Considering how much precious metal and fuel resources I had stored up, this meant that I could basically never run out of money on my second run, because i end up getting about as much coming in as I did the first time, but i still have all THOSE resources, too. I'm not even to africa and I've nearly got a full lv4 platform on all sides.

This also means that new saves consume the same resources as old saves though, which I definitely don't want either.

hey do any of your stats stay recorded because they're stored server side?

like... your Trial Records, or your FOB... FOB Invasion/Defense stats... a lot of that is probably server side, so I always wondered what happens if you delete your client side save and start a new game

I've just been using a second PS4 user (no PSN account) for my 2nd playthrough but that also means I can't unlock trophies,etc.... would be cool if you could restart the game on the same account but keep all your stats/records/fob stuff

JayEH

Actually I found a new one too... new to me at least...

Diamond Dog soldiers learn new languages from other Diamond Dogs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDY1kCvFZv8

The video just shows an example of one of the mission characters that you can recruit, and at the start of the game he has just 1 language and very late in the game he has 5 languages. It then Sorts soldiers by Recruit Date, and as you can see, all the oldest soldiers that have been around a long time since the early parts of the game all have 4-7 languages. Yet all the most recent soldiers only have 1-3 in most cases.

By and large it's pointless... In fact,
it could even hurt you
. But it's a cool detail... fits the 'soldiers with borders' or nations within a nation and the general multi-cultural 'we accept all dogs, from all corners' theme to Diamond Dogs.

Haha nice.

yuraya

So I was getting my ass handed to me while invading FOBs. Its gotten really hard after they patched the AI to be so aggressive. So I decided to just go the old school route of equipping a cardboard box. So enemies would just walk up to me to inspect the box and I popped out to grab them. Anyways I invaded an FOB with 3 platforms and I cleared the first 2 with that method. By the the time I reached the final platform the guards started communicating via the radio that there was a walking box. They all started panicking so HQ gave them permission to fire on the walking box if they saw it. The guards were confused as shit. They all started saying to fire on the box if you see it and some of the guards were like..."We've got permission to fire on the walking box...but I don't get it"

There was even a point when HQ was like "sigh" or something a long those lines because it felt like the guards were trolling them about the walking box. The shit was so hilarious I was laughing out loud. I left such a high body count using the method and the guards actually caught up to it. I couldn't believe they added so much dialogue just for this one box method. This was in multiplayer too so even more props for them going out of their way. KojiPro are such trolls.

Sky Chief

Not really an Easter Egg or anything but if I play this game with DD for a few hours on my surround sound system when I turn off and go to bed it always takes me a few minutes to remember that my dog lives with my parents. Just something about that panting man, I feel like there's a dog right in my room.

If you play a lot of missions without returning to mother base you get a cutscene where DD is happy to see you.

Didn't realise that was a thing until after I 100%'d.

The "Mythbuster" series from "Defendthehouse" is still going strong

They're up to number 10 now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36w_iRyMYMk

I don't think any other game had that many.

Damn that series of videos is incredible. The most incredible ones are the Water Gun against The Man on Fire and Enemy Soilders comforting dying enemy soldiers.

I did notice that it lacked that the electronics in the game (radio equipment and antennas) will break if you shoot them with the water gun.

So I was getting my ass handed to me while invading FOBs. Its gotten really hard after they patched the AI to be so aggressive. So I decided to just go the old school route of equipping a cardboard box. So enemies would just walk up to me to inspect the box and I popped out to grab them. Anyways I invaded an FOB with 3 platforms and I cleared the first 2 with that method. By the the time I reached the final platform the guards started communicating via the radio that there was a walking box. They all started panicking so HQ gave them permission to fire on the walking box if they saw it. The guards were confused as shit. They all started saying to fire on the box if you see it and some of the guards were like..."We've got permission to fire on the walking box...but I don't get it"

There was even a point when HQ was like "sigh" or something a long those lines because it felt like the guards were trolling them about the walking box. The shit was so hilarious I was laughing out loud. I left such a high body count using the method and the guards actually caught up to it. I couldn't believe they added so much dialogue just for this one box method. This was in multiplayer too so even more props for them going out of their way. KojiPro are such trolls.

This is why I love this game.

Top Bottom