• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - The little gameplay details that caught your attention

KarmaCow

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179944123]...that's literally what cruise control is.[/QUOTE]

Cruise control keeps your speed constant by accelerating enough to counter the deceleration from friction, so it's no the same as coasting. You'll eventually stop when using the iDroid. I wish you could coast on D-Horse.

last night I started using the smoke grenade launcher for the first time (super fun by the way) used it on 2-3 guard posts and one tank side op

no one anywhere had any gas masks... i barely ever see gas masks, basically purely helmets because I snipe/lethal 90% of the time... my headshot rate is like 25% of my neutralizations (head shots and sniping enemy preparedness are basically perma-red)

and literally, I go back to the ACC to switch characters and go to another outpost, and literally 100% every single one of the 12 or so guards has gas masks! :O

for all the anecdotes I have of enemies adapting, 170 hours into the game, that convinced me more than anything

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179944123]...that's literally what cruise control is.[/QUOTE]
Wait, why do you think you have to engage cruise control in a car if it's no different than just lifting your foot off the gas?

HabeeNo

If you use the spray to recover from heavy damage and die while the camera is focused on his face, you can see Snake yelling before falling rather than the same grunting he does when you use the spray regularly.

KyleCross

This is the exact opposite of a little detail; If you return to Mother Base with Quiet as a buddy and dock at the Medical platform you can see that she is still in the brig. I was literally staring at her laying there as Quiet was jumping out of the helicopter.

Kinda surprised, that seems like a detail they would take care of.

In the late game, when using
D-Walker with the fulton cannon, a successful fulton with it has no GMP cost, and restocking ammunition costs less than fultoning a single container; making it ideal for farming resources.

KainXVIII

This is the exact opposite of a little detail; If you return to Mother Base with Quiet as a buddy and dock at the Medical platform you can see that she is still in the brig. I was literally staring at her laying there as Quiet was jumping out of the helicopter.

Kinda surprised, that seems like a detail they would take care of.

Maybe it was
Chico

D-Walker with the fulton cannon, a successful fulton with it has no GMP cost, and restocking ammunition costs less than fultoning a single container; making it ideal for farming resources.

It works on containers too? I've been using
Fulton D-Dog

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I just done side op 112 where you have to extract the intel agent
aka Kojima, who tells you "what took you so long?"

I know some people have wondered how to trigger the mission, but it only unlocked for me after i done the 10th wandering Mother Base soldier.

So what happens if you already have him from Ground Zeroes? Does the mission just appear complete as soon as it unlocks?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So what happens if you already have him from Ground Zeroes? Does the mission just appear complete as soon as it unlocks?

the mission unlock earlier, and nope, the mission does not appear complete. You need to finish the side op to make it count in side ops completion. You won't get double kojima though

Golnei

You won't get double kojima though

Which was a massive missed opportunity, really; considering the whole 'Joakim Mogren' thing from the early marketing campaign. Since they had modeled a Kojima head already, why not let us play as this?

187v2asbr6q6njpg.jpg

alienator

Last night, while replaying the 'White Mamba" mission, i sent Quiet upfront to scout the village, then i started to fulton extract the kids in the little outpost before the village, and gave her the 'cover' command.

Nothing happend for a few minutes, and then suddenly she took out Eli with a headshot. in the village/boat, while i was fighting the kids on a whole other place ;p

Jabba

Banned
Does anyone know why some soldiers you extract have yellow on the top of their graph stats?

Thank you, KittenMaster.

Adding more to topic. While using a captured tank I dropped in for a mission, you can go through gaurd posts with no problems.

I completed the sideop for the UA Drone but it's no where in my development options, need FOB to use it?

It works on containers too? I've been using
Fulton D-Dog

Tried this and you can do it while chasing a truck without stopping :0

Wish there was a capacity buff though.

i got around to trying this on Mission 30 haha and it worked... I never quite made it to the end before the smoke ran out (just the last door) but i made it about halfway through the last area before my jeep was destroyed, and my heavy armor/shield on my back helped keep me alive until I made it to the stairs

easy 3 minute S rank lol

and to think, first time I did it, I spent 1.5 hours killing 80 guards like a sort of rambo, only to get an E rank ;p

my smoke 'nades weren't fully upgraded yet, i got one my effect duration since then so maybe they last long enough to do without even an alarm now ;p

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
So the animal noise tapes (Bear, Goat, Wolf etc) allow you to
get closer to that animal and also lower soldiers suspicion if they think they see something and you play an animal recording.

Something I completely missed until yesterday: a few of the "weaker" weapons (ones near the top of their development pages) allow for underbarrel attachments on assault rifles/some sniper rifles. I never bothered with a few of the shotguns or grenade launchers. I knew I had acquired a shotgun attachment at some point, but couldn't remember if it was its own blueprint or something.

You can get a (machine?) pistol, double barrel sawed-off, explosive/smoke/stun/sleep grenade launcher, and a few others. Once you develop those and get the master gunsmith, you can make a Franken-gun and tear shit up with it

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Something I completely missed until yesterday: a few of the "weaker" weapons (ones near the top of their development pages) allow for underbarrel attachments on assault rifles/some sniper rifles. I never bothered with a few of the shotguns or grenade launchers. I knew I had acquired a shotgun attachment at some point, but couldn't remember if it was its own blueprint or something.

You can get a (machine?) pistol, double barrel sawed-off, explosive/smoke/stun/sleep grenade launcher, and a few others. Once you develop those and get the master gunsmith, you can make a Franken-gun and tear shit up with it

Yeah I wish I would have learned this sooner! During my main playthrough I basically didn't change my loadout of silenced AR with zoomable dotsight, sniper rifle, tranq pistol.

It actually sort of mitigates the "you can only hold 2 main weapons" argument, because you could have AR with a grenade launcher attachment, and a sniper with a shotgun attachment.

heringer

Last night, while replaying the 'White Mamba" mission, i sent Quiet upfront to scout the village, then i started to fulton extract the kids in the little outpost before the village, and gave her the 'cover' command.

Nothing happend for a few minutes, and then suddenly she took out Eli with a headshot. in the village/boat, while i was fighting the kids on a whole other place ;p

How do you fulton kids?

Yeah I wish I would have learned this sooner! During my main playthrough I basically didn't change my loadout of silenced AR with zoomable dotsight, sniper rifle, tranq pistol.

It actually sort of mitigates the "you can only hold 2 main weapons" argument, because you could have AR with a grenade launcher attachment, and a sniper with a shotgun attachment.

Yup. For a while, I found one of the smoke grenade launchers to be extremely useful if I wasn't going for perfect stealth. Now that I have a smoke grenade launcher on my assault rifle, I don't have to just rely on the .50 cal sniper for lethal attacks. I wish the game would've marked weapons that could become attachments, similar to how weapons the security team can use are in green.

There are 2 hidden fulton upgrades. One being for kids. The other is for the wormhole.

You can also toss them into the back of a truck and fulton that.

MNC

When you have higher ranked AI, the ones that group together and search together; the leader of the squad will call everyone together with "On me!"

If it takes too long, you can hear him mutter "sure, take your time." and other annoyances.

last night I realized that the code names that radio calls use coincide with map...

e.g. Zulu 6 calling CP for help is actually the #6 on the iDroid map

maybe i noticed before... just didn't really seem to matter much or something. sort of struck me last night though, kinda cool.

and of course CP is the actual command post base

yeah i was able to do it on extreme too

it's more difficult because it takes like 5-6 drops and she can dodge them, so you gotta poke your head out to distract her at the last moment which is also difficult because she can one-shot you in normal camo. so, wear heavy defenseup+2 battle armor and you can survive the shot (gives you a margin for error), and just keep at it, eventually it'll knock her out lol

Jabba

Banned
You can beat the EXTREME Quiet boss fight by dropping in a tank/APC and just blasting her to pieces. I wanna say I got an S-Rank?

Sometimes its the stupidest solutions to this game that get the best results.

Yup, I got S Rank with a Tank on the Extreme Quiet mission.

Noticed D Dog wasn't following me, so I stopped, said in a low voice to myself, " Where the fuck is he going?'" Watched him walk around a bit, sniff, then he lifted his leg and took a piss. lol

Afghanistan: Parked my tank in the road, blocking a truck with two guys in it. They both get out, one runs up to my tank and plants C4 and blows up my tank.

Sorry to bump this, but just noticed this, not sure if it was mentioned here.

But later on in the game if you lift off from the bottom helipad of your command platform, you can see
Code Talker
on one of the towers and
Eli
on the very top in a chair. After I saw this I went back and went to one of the locations but they aren't there, seems to be strictly there during take off.

Are there any others you can see from the other platforms?

noticed last night that some of the gun reload animations are pretty unique... all the 'double clip' (faster reload) clips have 2 separate reloading animations, depending on if its the other clip piece or an new clip combo... also, revolvers show each individual bullet reload and only reload as many bullets as you need... so, if you fire 2 shots, you can still see the remaining bullets in the chambers and you only reload 2 into the 2 empty chambers.

neither of these things are special per se because a lot of FPS have done them (maybe even MGS IV did) but the animations (which are basically gameplay details since they improve the speed of your gameplay animation) still sort of struck me last night as cool.

actually, all the first-person gun models are rather specific.... last 2 nights, I went through maybe 50 different combinations of guns, barrels, sights, and the game really uses the full specific model, exactly proportioned from the menu (and third person) model in first person...

i made a big video with a bunch of 10-20 second clips of almost every important assault rifle, barrel, and reflex sight combination.... if anyone cares ;p it's just a way to compare all the different combos i guess, i was just curious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtkW_cCAoU

i actually just took pictures for myself because I wanted to flip through them to be able to compare which weapons, barrels, and sights looked best together, but then i figured I might as well record short clips while I'm at it and throw it on youtube just in case anyone cares about dumb details as much as me haha

so, if you put reflex sight 1 on a assault rifle or sniper rifle with the same modded barrel, the sniper rifle has a smaller reflex sight and it's farther away from you (farther down the stock) and you can see more of your hand because the stock of the rifle is bigger... if you switch between ultra short, medium, and long barrels, the location of the reflex sight (and its size) moves, and so does your hand... you can never see your hand holding the barrel on most short barrels but on long barrels because your hand holds the gun barrel farther out, you can often see your finger tips.

again, nothing special per se but I appreciate how specifically model, proportioned, and how visually scaled (between even the smaller changes) the first-person gun models and animations are.

your other ability stats for Diamond Dogs affect their FOB performance... this isn't really explained anywhere except for 1 help menu that I think only appears on the loading screen

so, if you use a different character, their Intel rank determines how fast (or instantly) enemies are Marked... Medic makes medicine like pentazym last long... R&D increases how much ammo you pick up from each drop. Support I think is a faster fultoning animation (or was that Base Development)... I forget those two.

And Combat determines your PF bonus... so if you take a guy with like D Rank combat you get a 2x bonus to your 'exp' or otherwise PF rank, and then if he's D Rank Combat but S++ Rank Medic and S Rank Intel, he may have very instant Marking of guards and Pentazym will last a long time. so, it can be interesting/rewarding to actually invade FOBs with low Combat Rank guards on purpose to get better PF 'exp' and then get maybe better marking/medicine effects.

Furyous

Fire an automatic rifle near DDog while clearing mines. He'll growl at first then whimper. I'm not sure if that means the gun is too loud for him or he just hates using the lethal weapon. DDog is quiet during nonlethal use.

yeah he usually reacts to any sort of 'damage' causing noise... so, gun fire, supply drop, nearby explosion, etc. i'm not sure if it's lethal vs non-lethal because a supply drop causes non-lethal damage and he growls at that too so i think it could be the noise level... e.g. just a whimper or silence to a quiet tranquilizer dart being shot but a growl if a supply box drops near him

Top Bottom