• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Jordan to grace the cover of NBA 2k11...wait, what?

DMczaf

charsace said:
Wow you guys are quick to forget. What happened to campaign fuck 2k?

You're talking to the same people who gave 2K $5 for a shitty draft add-on "game" and $100 for a kid's room locker.

Smokey

DMczaf said:
You're talking to the same people who gave 2K $5 for a shitty draft add-on "game" and $100 for a kid's room locker.

you also gave them $60 so you are part of the problem too sir!

ecnal

pilonv1 said:
Brilliant. I love Wang

that portion worries me tremendously.

certain tendencies last year made specific scenarios for some players successful in the 90% range.

these scenarios were especially troublesome when multiple tendencies are stacked.

all the tendency stuff makes for a more enjoyable offline experience, but it seriously ruins the game for online. shit, i was literally shooting 50% from the field with kmart (from 3 too) just by using him according to his tendency ratings.

charsace

ecnal said:

certain tendencies last year made specific scenarios for some players successful in the 90% range.

these scenarios were especially troublesome when multiple tendencies are stacked.

all the tendency stuff makes for a more enjoyable offline experience, but it seriously ruins the game for online. shit, i was literally shooting 50% from the field with kmart (from 3 too) just by using him according to his tendency ratings.
Truth right here. When people figured out tendencies those stats became a huge factor in trades.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The drills were stupid too. How the hell is there only one way to improve a player's passing rating, and no way to improve his ball security or off-hand dribbling?

Also, post offense/defense drills were next to impossible.

Assemble!

Smokey said:
wtf am i supposed to do..buy NBA Elite LOL

:(

This is my sentiment exactly. Live had a decent game last year and with 2k10's bugs, it was a toss up for me. But instead of improving certain aspects of Live (and depth) they scrapped it for who knows what.

ecnal

charsace said:
Truth right here. When people figured out tendencies those stats became a huge factor in trades.
Yep. You know there is a fundamental issue with ratings/tendencies when we started approving/denying trades based on categorical or tendency ratings rather than overall.

Maybe they just need to add like a hundred more ratings/tendencies in order to complicate the way ratings/tendencies interact--that way it would extremely difficult to consistently enact a single or chain of ratings/tendencies.

Still though, like smokey said, there's no other bball game to play, and this offseason has been big... NBA 2K11 future for better or worse is coming.

charsace

ecnal said:
Yep. You know there is a fundamental issue with ratings/tendencies when we started approving/denying trades based on categorical or tendency ratings rather than overall.

Maybe they just need to add like a hundred more ratings/tendencies in order to complicate the way ratings/tendencies interact--that way it would extremely difficult to consistently enact a single or chain of ratings/tendencies.

Still though, like smokey said, there's no other bball game to play, and this offseason has been big... NBA 2K11 future for better or worse is coming.
Fuck. It's going to be dumb though. Certain guys will have high dunk tendency so they will get a ton of traffic dunks or guys will steal everything. Couldn't stand it last year.

BlueMagic

GK86 said:
350nlom.jpg

This might be the most relevant avatar quote i've seen in some time now.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
2K should buy the rights to Chaos in the Windy City and remake it for HD consoles.

benjipwns

Banned
That was an EA game, so expect to see it as a pre-order bonus for Elite 12!

And was designed by Amy Hennig of Soul Reaver and Uncharted fame.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Looks about the same as always, hit me up when it has modes that actually work.

Yeah that type of trailer has been going on for the last four years or so. It drives the casual players wild and tells the harcore fanbase virtually nothing about the game.

At least the insights have been good enough so far but it looks like the only chance to see if the game actually works this year is to wait for fellow gaffers to try it out and give their opinions. Truth be told I'm already hungry for basketball though, and despite last years cheese wiz I can't imagine keeping my wallet in pocket when the game launches weeks before the NBA season.

Ken Masters said:
same ugly graphics and arenas from NBA 2k6 :lol , they really are going to ride out the same fucking engine for 2 generations

To be fair though they have somehow managed to have a better looking game than the Elite/Live series since around 2k9....so there is no real reason for them to bother considering Lives clunky animations and cartoony graphics...

pilonv1

ecnal said:

Someone explain this further, I had no idea they played into online play that much.

I was always going to buy it anyway, but fuck that looks hot.

Too bad I have to buy that piece of shit Elite to get NBA Jam as well. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many copied of Elite will be on eBay.:lol :lol :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Ken Masters said:
same ugly graphics and arenas from NBA 2k6 :lol , they really are going to ride out the same fucking engine for 2 generations

:lol so true.
Somehow the presentation, lighting & arenas of NBA Live 2006 look a generation ahead than NBA 2k11.

DMczaf

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/16/nba-2k11-devs-drop-approximately-30-positions/

Visual Concepts eliminates 30 positions to become more efficient!

Take-Two Interactive sports game developer Visual Concepts recently let go of 30 employees, according to a statement issued by the publisher. VP of corporate communications and public affairs at Take-Two Alan Lewis told Industry Gamers, "In order to properly align its resources with its current and future goals, and to continue to develop games as efficiently as possible, 2K Sports has eliminated approximately 30 positions at its Visual Concepts studio." When contacted by Joystiq, Take-Two refused to provide further information.

The next game due from Visual Concepts is NBA 2K11 on October 5, which is said to be unaffected by the layoffs. "These reductions will not affect 2K Sports' ability to create and deliver AAA titles, including its upcoming release of NBA 2K11," the statement from Take-Two claims. As always, we wish those affected the best in the future.

:lol

I swear, if that Free Throw slowdown glitch is back again....

charsace

FTWer said:
Well, firing people who were responsible for releasing NBA 2k9 & 10 as a final retail build isn't necessarily a bad thing.
They said nothing about hiring though.

Enjoy throwing money aways bitches. I'm spending my 2k money on a few joints and some AA tees off ebay.

Digging the videos, but Ronnie apparently sucks. I played the shit out of NBA 2k10, even if they did screw the PC with a late patch. I just got a new iMac and this game is beautiful on that screen. Can't wait to play 2k11.

ecnal

pilonv1 said:
Someone explain this further, I had no idea they played into online play that much.
Tendency ratings appear to double up with--or accentuate--the categorical ratings.

For example, a player with a 90 rated midrange jumper may not always make wideopen shots from midrange even if the release is perfect. However, if that same player also has a tendency rating greater than 70--all tendencies are rated 0-100--for a right elbow pull up jumper, that shot coupled with the 90 midrange rating will almost always go in.

Last year I used Roy almost exclusively in picknroll situations because he had a 99 tendency to come off those screens--meaning the defender trying to go through that screen is rarely ever able to stick with Roy.

There are essentially tendencies for everything, and they become particularly effective when used in conjunction with categorical ratings.

Zeliard said:
NBA 2k10 on PC is far, far better-looking than NBA Live has ever been.

You damn right it is....too bad the patch came so much later. On the otherhand, they did only charge $20 for the PC version out the gate...
nba2k102010-03-2123-52dk8f.png

nba2k102010-03-2123-51ykvd.png

Top Bottom