• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Moore: Trump never wanted to win. Purposefully sabotaging his campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaros

Obviously I'm referring to the back to back events of the Khan family, Second Amendment People, Purple Heart etc. and the disaster poll numbers that followed.

Prior to the convention, similar mistakes didn't effect him as much in the polls due to the primaries not being the same type of ballgame. So....logic follows that Moore's pre-convention assumptions were plausible since Trump's poll numbers hadn't tanked yet.

Either way the two statements about Trump aren't related....how are people not separating this? Moore thinking Trump can/will win doesn't have anything to do with the idea that Trump started his campaign not as seriously as it then became with his primary success.

Because this isn't the first time Moore has done this about the GE.

He did the exact same thing with Romney, while all polling showed Obama ahead.

Yep.

And if he believed that Trump was going to sabotage himself at some point because he didn't want the presidency, why claim he was going to win the election? Which is it?

Moore:

Soon, though, his karma caught up with him. Calling Mexicans “rapists” should have disqualified him on Day One (or for saying Obama wasn’t born here, as he did in 2011). No, it took 13 months of racist, sexist, stupid comments before he finally undid himself with the trifecta of attacking the family of a slain soldier, ridiculing the Purple Heart and suggesting that the pro-gun crowd assassinate Hillary Clinton. By this past weekend, the look on his face said it all — “I hate this! I want my show back!” But it was too late. He was damaged goods, his brand beyond repair, a worldwide laughing stock — and worse, a soon-to-be loser.

But, let me throw out another theory, one that assumes that Trump isn’t as dumb or crazy as he looks. Maybe the meltdown of the past three weeks was no accident. Maybe it’s all part of his new strategy to get the hell out of a race he never intended to see through to its end anyway. Because, unless he is just “crazy,” the only explanation for the unusual ramping up, day after day, of one disgustingly reckless statement after another is that he’s doing it consciously (or subconsciously) so that he’ll have to bow out or blame “others” for forcing him out. Many now are sensing the end game here because they know Trump seriously doesn’t want to do the actual job — and, most importantly, he cannot and WILL NOT suffer through being officially and legally declared a loser — LOSER! — on the night of November 8th.

He's not claiming to have known all along--he's openly speculating about the reasons for Trump's recent gaff "trifecta." You all are really reaching on this one.

And as others have said repeatedly, Trump's odds of winning and Trump's shifting motives throughout this election are separate issues. You can believe Trump had a shot at winning, and still theorize this whole thing started as a lark, grew into a narcissistic crusade, and has devolved into a conscious or unconscious case of self-sabotage. It's allowed.

Even if Moore did contradict himself, can't a person change his mind in public or are we holding non-politicians to the whole flip-flopping thing now?

GamerJM

Banned
you guys trashing Moore as an idiot - this says a lot more about yourselves than it does him.

you can disagree of course but he's obviously not a "moron"... Roger and Me and Fahrenheit 9/11 were seminal films, sorry to break it to you

I despair of gaf's habit of placing personalities into little boxes and never re examining them again.

He's not an idiot, he's a talented filmmaker, but otherwise I've never really agreed with the statements he largely makes even in his heyday. IIRC even back then he said a lot of this sort of tinfoil hat-esque stuff. He's also culturally irrelevant now; seeing "Micheal Moore says," makes me feel like I'm in 2004 or something.

Okay, but did you actually read his confidently worded statement or the planned follow up (which he said to stay tuned for in his first letter) where he wrote on 5 ways to make sure Trump loses? It's very clearly a call to arms and not some definitive declaration, as per his style. He's not discrediting himself, people have already made their mind up about Michael Moore, seemingly without understanding what he is saying.

He said on Maher's show last week or the week before that Trump is going to win. How do you resolve that in the context of this recent statement where he tells the true story of how Trump doesn't want to win and won't? I can understand wanting to say something that expresses his dismay at Trump while calling on everyone to not be apathetic, but stating definitively that Trump is going to win is not the right way to do that.

Obviously I'm referring to the back to back events of the Khan family, Second Amendment People, Purple Heart etc. and the disaster poll numbers that followed.

Prior to the convention, similar mistakes didn't effect him as much in the polls due to the primaries not being the same type of ballgame. So....logic follows that Moore's pre-convention assumptions were plausible since Trump's poll numbers hadn't tanked yet.

Either way the two statements about Trump aren't related....how are people not separating this? Moore thinking Trump can/will win doesn't have anything to do with the idea that Trump started his campaign not as seriously as it then became with his primary success.

Moore specifically states that the last 3 weeks have been the result of a new Trump strategy. I don't see any evidence that supports that.

He said on Maher's show last week or the week before that Trump is going to win. How do you resolve that in the context of this recent statement where he tells the true story of how Trump doesn't want to win and won't? I can understand wanting to say something that expresses his dismay at Trump while calling on everyone to not be apathetic, but stating definitively that Trump is going to win is not the right way to do that.

FWIW, it was about a month ago, July 20, during the RNC. Prior to the DNC, the Khans, the easy Purple Heart, the "2nd Amendment people lolz", the Manafort revelations, Obama founded ISIS, and a bunch of other stuff. The landscape has changed quite a bit in the last 4 weeks.

FWIW, it was about a month ago, July 20, during the RNC. Prior to the DNC, the Khans, the easy Purple Heart, the "2nd Amendment people lolz", the Manafort revelations, Obama founded ISIS, and a bunch of other stuff. The landscape has changed quite a bit in the last 4 weeks.

Damn it's been that long already. Thanks for the correction.

Unless Moore found out the true story behind Trump's run, and spent an afternoon with him all in the last month, my point still stands.

Well, here it is:

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

He didn't say he MIGHT win. He said he WILL win.

That reads more like a wake up call than anything else.

And there is no doubt in my mind that if people could vote from their couch at home on their X-box or PlayStation, Hillary would win in a landslide.

The people Trump is rallying are far more likely to hit the voting booth. And he goes into some additional factors that are hurting the Clinton camp. So yeah, it doesn't sound very contradictory. To me, anyway.

Even if he was doing a complete 180, so what? Things change and I don't see why someone's opinion can't change with it. Especially with the rollercoaster that is this election.

That reads more like a wake up call than anything else.

The people Trump is rallying are far more likely to hit the voting booth. And he goes into some additional factors that are hurting the Clinton camp. So yeah, it doesn't sound very contradictory. To me, anyway.

Even if he was doing a complete 180, so what? Things change and I don't see why someone's opinion can't change with it. Especially with the rollercoaster that is this election.

The point is that, in both instances, he was playing to prevailing liberal memes at the moment of the writing. When the polls were tight, it was doom and gloom. When they weren't, it became "well he just didn't really want it".

Sibylus

Banned
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not a part of some sort of Moore backlash. Always felt his praises were overblown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom