• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter: Bethesda wanted to be acquired by Microsoft 3 years ago

jakinov

Wonder if the terrible debacle of the Fallout 76 release is why this fell through. Or necessitated it?
Doubt it. To some gamers that was a big deal but overall it's just one of the many projects and it still sold okay and still probably makes money today for them to keep supporting it. Microsoft probably isn't going to care about one blip and they probably aren't going to sell their company because they didn't make as much profit as they wanted.

Rikku-X

When's that Wii HD coming out Patcher?
MasculineUnderstatedAfricanharrierhawk.gif

Bryank75

Banned
I'm actually making a very popular gaming jiggitty wiggitty, right now with the aim of selling it to Microsoft for a Bajillion-willion-zillion dollars.

Cliff Barnes is trying to beat me to market but he's a loser... he's gonna ruin his mamma's company trying to be a big player!

jhjfss

I'm actually making a very popular gaming jiggitty wiggitty, right now with the aim of selling it to Microsoft for a Bajillion-willion-zillion dollars.

Cliff Barnes is trying to beat me to market but he's a loser... he's gonna ruin his mamma's company trying to be a big player!
Confused What Is It GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So I am confused, because a lot of people were saying MS saved Bethesda. So Bethesda used MS and saved themselves ?

Well if its funding they needed, why couldn't they have gotten it directly off of MS by offering them exclusivity? Its not like MS aren't interested in, or don't see the value of timed exclusive deals?

The same sort of thing happened with Playground. They started making noises about going multi-platform and shortly thereafter MS buys them outright.

The point is its a way of reminding MS of the value of their services without being aggressively turncoat about it. They just effectively say "We're really happy with our close partnership with Xbox, but we want to try X, Y, and Z". If you're not interested, fine, we'll keep doing business as before, but the guys at Sony are showing an interest in backing these projects, so..."

Elysion

Banned
Holy crap this guy looks old now! I didn’t know he still did his show; I remember him from when he was on Gametrailers, and thought his show ended when Gametrailers closed down.

Is this the reason why Zenimax was buying studios left and right using shady tactics? To bolster their value?

Mmnow

Doubt it. To some gamers that was a big deal but overall it's just one of the many projects and it still sold okay and still probably makes money today for them to keep supporting it. Microsoft probably isn't going to care about one blip and they probably aren't going to sell their company because they didn't make as much profit as they wanted.
This.

The ugly elephant in the room is that being a third party publisher is tough. First parties don't sell so much that you can just hang up your dev kit and go home, and that's with the clout and marketing potential of having a Sony or Microsoft behind it.

If you're an EA or an Activision, maybe you have flagship franchises that help support you if a title performs below expectation, but there's only one Rockstar. Zenimax can't afford 7 years between releases, and when you factor in high quality but underperforming published releases, it doesn't take much of a guess as to why they wanted to sell.

This is only going to get worse going forward. It's an industry issue, not a problem with any one publisher or title.

Zeroing

Banned
Well if its funding they needed, why couldn't they have gotten it directly off of MS by offering them exclusivity? Its not like MS aren't interested in, or don't see the value of timed exclusive deals?

The same sort of thing happened with Playground. They started making noises about going multi-platform and shortly thereafter MS buys them outright.

The point is its a way of reminding MS of the value of their services without being aggressively turncoat about it. They just effectively say "We're really happy with our close partnership with Xbox, but we want to try X, Y, and Z". If you're not interested, fine, we'll keep doing business as before, but the guys at Sony are showing an interest in backing these projects, so..."
My personal take on this is, MS having difficulties building (from the ground up) studios. They knew some studios were favorable to be bough and they bough them. I think that no gaming developer wants risk to loose their freedom unless they are offered a ton of money. But them again this is just us expeculating. We really do not know what went behind behind closed doors.

trikster40

Hell, who wouldn’t want to be bought out by Microsoft? They overpay for everything, and you never have to work again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom