• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter: Truly the anti-Nostradomus

TheNatural

My Member!
Anyone see some of the comments he had before some of these pressers?

- First a few weeks ago, he said Rockstar was going to have their own show before E3 to take the spotlight away and put it on GTA V to release this year. Brrr ... wrong.

- Listed all the major companies with press conferences and said EA and Activision were by far first, then wayy down is Ubi Soft .. then wayy down below that is THQ and ... Nintendo. Yes he put Nintendo on the same level as a company barely solvent that is nearly bankrupt.

- Paraphrasing but said Ubi Soft will have nothing to show, everyone there at the presser pretty much knows nothing is going to be shown except whats already been seen, everyone tired of the Ubi Soft act, etc. Basically shitting on them every which way possible.

Dude is great in completely owning himself. I've never seen a so-called "analyst" in any industry as completely and utterly a failure as this guy. You can bank on the direct opposite of what he says to happen.

He also said that Respawn were ready to show their game simply because he spotted Jason and Vince in the audience at EA's conference.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
This isn't his actual job. He just does this stuff on the side for fun/as a hobby. His hobby is to troll everyone; while he he leaves his real analyst stuff to his actual job

Talyn

That he is so consistently wrong actually makes him a good analyst as long as you take that into account. If he were wildly inconsistent that would just be worse.

lol51

- Listed all the major companies with press conferences and said EA and Activision were by far first, then wayy down is Ubi Soft .. then wayy down below that is THQ and ... Nintendo. Yes he put Nintendo on the same level as a company barely solvent that is nearly bankrupt.

To be fair, I think he was ranking 3rd party publishers and didnt mention nintendo/sony/microsoft.

TheNatural

My Member!
to be fair did anyone really expect Ubisoft to have much to show?

The way he talked about Ubi Soft before their press conference while he was waiting, was with such contempt you would have figured at that point Ubi Soft's only hope was to sound the fire alarms and cancel the conference. When he puts himself out there as far to say what he did and make it seem like anyone besides EA and Activision shouldn't even exist and everyone was "tired" of Ubi Soft's act - he deserved to be ridiculed.

TheNatural

My Member!
To be fair, I think he was ranking 3rd party publishers and didnt mention nintendo/sony/microsoft.

No, he specifically said Nintendo and THQ were on the same level, wayyyy down on the pole from Ubi Soft, Take Two who were way down from EA and Activisions level themselves. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Cartman86

Banned
Well I don't know. He sounds like the real Nostradamus. Gets credit for predicting things correctly even though he doesn't. Typical remember the hits and forgetting the misses human psychology. Sad that a job exists for someone like that in a serious business. I mean seriously what do we expect him to be able to predict? By what method can he predict anything better than anyone else paying attention? Unless he has inside information (which he claims to not have) he should be no better than any one of us. Which he isn't!

Roofy

I love how people think being a games analyst is about making accurate predictions about press conferences or announcements

Animator

Patchter is a fucking loser and a idiot. I don't know why anyone takes him seriously. Wish I can make my living making up bullshit.

TheNatural

My Member!
I love how people think being a games analyst is about making accurate predictions about press conferences or announcements

I don't think it's about that, but at the very fucking least the guy could be professional. He acted like it was a burden of his time to even be at the Ubi Soft conference.

Shtof

Yeah, what's great about Pachter is that whatever he says is pretty much a confirmation that the exact opposite will actually happen.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Because he's an idiot/asshole that deserves to be called out and made fun of, to what an idiot he made of himself before the Ubi Soft press conference.

I don't think he is an asshole, he seems like a nice dude.

With that said, this week he is going to get invited to all the closed door, private showings of what is coming out next year so he can advise investors. Guessing wrong doesn't make him an idiot.

Antioch

He also said "they have nothing" prior to Nintendo's presser in 2010, which only turned out to be arguably the best E3 conference ever. Whenever he says a publisher has nothing to show they are guaranteed to have an amazing E3.

I think it's worse that idiots like Gametrailers.com give him any credibility.

The man is a total loser and should re-educate himself.

Patryn

He's scheduled to be on the Giant Bombcast tonight for their first night of E3 Podcasts, so if you want to watch him eat crow tune in.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I don't think it's about that, but at the very fucking least the guy could be professional. He acted like it was a burden of his time to even be at the Ubi Soft conference.
I'm sure he's very professional when he goes to company's financial teams and delivers his actual analysis.

And it probably was a burden of his time to even be at the Ubisoft conference. They have other financial showcases at E3 for the financial and analysis guys

He said on Sunday that EA were gonna announce a new shooter at E3 that wasn't Crysis 3.

....where's that?

You know nothing Michael Pachter [/Ygritte]

ASTROID2

I laughed a lot when Ubisoft showed all the Wii U stuff and Pachter said they went gonna show anything on Wii U.

Cartman86

Banned
He's not paid for this. This isn't his actual job.

He isn't payed to appear on Gametrailers shows (one of which he hosts) where he commonly makes predictions? So much so that its become the trope when he's on said shows? Hell his personal show's logo is a picture of him with a crystal ball. Maybe he doesn't get payed for the Bonus Round stuff, but he must for his own show.

Foffy

Banned
He also said "they have nothing" prior to Nintendo's presser in 2010, which only turned out to be arguably the best E3 conference ever. Whenever he says a publisher has nothing to show they are guaranteed to have an amazing E3.

He claimed E3 for Microsoft would be a disappointing one. He got that head on.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm sure he's very professional when he goes to company's financial teams and delivers his actual analysis.

And it probably was a burden of his time to even be at the Ubisoft conference. They have other financial showcases at E3 for the financial and analysis guys

So don't show up? Who put a gun to his head?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I do think he should be held accountable for his bad predictions. I dunno, he seems like a nice guy but he's very often wrong.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Analysts spout BS. They throw darts at the wall and see what sticks.

They get paid to guess off of "insider info" .

Top Bottom