• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel : working on both Wild and Beyond Good & Evil 2 is "unreasonable"

Alx

Wasn't Wild announced in 2014? Kind of disappointing that it isn't close to being finished still

Small team and small budget. He says in the interview that they're aiming for something more "intimate" with Wild because of the size of the team. BGE2 seems to have a much bigger budget and will have more life and activity.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Don't care for BG&E2, it could be a N-Gage exclusive and you wouldn't hear me complain. WiLD at least looked interesting at the reveal.

Kind of meh at both these titles, so he can take all the time he needs.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I did not question those rumors. Your point just doesn't make any sense. How could the difficulties in Ancel's time management be solved by Nintendo? He's the only one who can find a solution for that.

He already did
in fact he is working on both
having quality reluable dev following the project could be helpful too

I didn't even know what you're talking about at first, since I do not care for any Nintendo rumour just because some of these obviously broken clocks have been right twice a day.
What I believe is Ancel who said back in the day and now reiterated that a new BG&E will not be possible on hardware that's still behind PS4.

I wonder which miracles can be done funding the project

HylianTom

Banned
I am stuck in a conundrum where I am extremely excited for BG&E but have sworn off of Ubisoft entriely and stuck with it for the better part of four years now.
I loathe Ubi, but have held to the position that releasing BG&E2 on Wii U or Switch would go a long way towards redeeming themselves. Until then, my wallet remains closed to them.

I have more reason to believe it's exclusive to the Switch than not given how reliable Laura has been. That being said, I'm currently more excited for WiLD because we have actual footage of that, and it's a new IP. The premise is super intriguing.

I'm more interested in BG&E 2 than WiLD, despite owning a PS4 and being highly reluctant (at this point in time anyway) at the idea of purchasing a Switch.

That giant naked snake waifu came awfully close to winning me over though.

I'm still skeptical of BGE2 being Switch exclusive and this reinforce my point of view.

Edit: at most they're "in talks" for some kind of exclusivity.

In BGE2, the heart of the game is the "civilisation". BGE1 talked about mass manipulation and the medias, but this one will be completely different. It will talk about conspiracy and the human aspect. There will be a lot of surprising characters.
Translater's note : If some FrenchGAFers are here, how do you translate "côté grouillant" and "profusion" ? I can't really find the good words here.

As I understand it, he means that they are building a word that will be very busy, very rich. I haven't played the original, but I assume it means there will be a lot of characters and things going on that will make the world feel alive?

_PsiFire_

It won't be a problem much longer anyway, as BG&E2 is only in development until Vivendi acquire that majority stake...
Unless of course Nintendo, as rumors suggest, is footing some of the costs..

That would mean a contract is in place which will go on in a post Vivendi take-over world.

Yves was worried about this early this year he was probably shopping the idea of BG&E2 around and Nintendo "bit".

Also the rumored Rabbids X Mario RPG...there's a pretty good partnership going on here.

Stiler

Wild....ugh, such a promising start.

That was literally like one of my DREAM games when it was first announced/teased. The ability for you to pick to play as literally any number of wild animal/creature, from a fish, to a bird, to wolf, and the ability to do it in a huge open world with a focus on the world being online and the other creatures being real life people also playing the game.

Then. ..then they completely and utterly changed the entire thing.

Now it's became a single player focused game where you in fact do NOT play as "anything" you want, rather you play as a human "shaman" and take over animals for "x" time to do something, similar to Far Cry primal it seems in many aspects now.

Completely lost my interest in that game, such a shame to because it sounded freaking amazing in its original concept.

jayu26

Wild....ugh, such a promising start.

That was literally like one of my DREAM games when it was first announced/teased. The ability for you to pick to play as literally any number of wild animal/creature, from a fish, to a bird, to wolf, and the ability to do it in a huge open world with a focus on the world being online and the other creatures being real life people also playing the game.

Then. ..then they completely and utterly changed the entire thing.

Now it's became a single player focused game where you in fact do NOT play as "anything" you want, rather you play as a human "shaman" and take over animals for "x" time to do something, similar to Far Cry primal it seems in many aspects now.

Completely lost my interest in that game, such a shame to because it sounded freaking amazing in its original concept.
I am going to need the article where they described as online multiplayer game. As far as I know it alaways was what it is today.

Stiler

I am going to need the article where they described as online multiplayer game. As far as I know it alaways was what it is today.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ld-ps4-exclusive-rayman-creator-michel-ancel/

"Every time you play you’ll discover new things, even in the same place as before. But… the best feature came from our prototyping phase when we started playing as wolves, horses, sheep and… even trout! So we decided that in WiLD every creature should be playable, even the giant and dangerous ones!

All these features combined, open so many new gameplay situations, especially when playing online. How you approach the game is up to you, what you do and even what you are – it’s all up to you. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYw2X2iYLw

When it was first announced that's what info we had, all of that made it seem like a huge open-world that could be played online where you could play as any creature within that world.

Later on as more as revealed its became more of a single-player style game with some dark-souls style mp bits to it, where you have actual objectives and are playing as a human shaman who can simply control an animal for a time, where animals are treated more as a "goal/tool" to complete missions rather then you being able to choose to play as that actual animal in an online game.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ld-ps4-exclusive-rayman-creator-michel-ancel/

"Every time you play you’ll discover new things, even in the same place as before. But… the best feature came from our prototyping phase when we started playing as wolves, horses, sheep and… even trout! So we decided that in WiLD every creature should be playable, even the giant and dangerous ones!

All these features combined, open so many new gameplay situations, especially when playing online. How you approach the game is up to you, what you do and even what you are – it’s all up to you. "

When it was first announced that's what info we had, all of that made it seem like a huge open-world that could be played online where you could play as any creature within that world.

Later on as more as revealed its became more of a single-player style game with some dark-souls style mp bits to it, where you have actual objectives and are playing as a human shaman who can simply control an animal for a time, where animals are treated more as a "goal/tool" to complete missions rather then you being able to choose to play as that actual animal in an online game.

Sounds like a much better game now.

jayu26

especially when playing online

That doesn't mean that it was an online game. It just means that it had an online component and it still might (unless they have ruled it out, which they might have because they are such a small team).

- In BGE2, the heart of the game is the "civilisation". BGE1 talked about mass manipulation and the medias, but this one will be completely different. It will talk about conspiracy and the human aspect. There will be a lot of surprising characters.
Translater's note : If some FrenchGAFers are here, how do you translate "côté grouillant" and "profusion" ? I can't really find the good words here.

The coté grouillant is a simple concept.
Think of it like this : See a busy street in a city with lots of people doing their everydays lives. That sort of dynamic chaos resulting in having plenty of people doing their things make a coté grouillant
In french , we say : " ça grouille de monde !" meaning that the place is full/busy with lot of people.

You're Welcome GAF.

Edit : Profusion is in the same mindset.. You're actually having a lot of things at once in a set , in a item , in a moment. If it's told in relation to the coté grouillant it's might be a concept that might be the basis for their worlds.

retrow

The coté grouillant is a simple concept.
Think of it like this : See a busy street in a city with lots of people doing their everydays lives. That sort of dynamic chaos resulting in having plenty of people doing their things make a coté grouillant
In french , we say : " ça grouille de monde !" meaning that the place is full/busy with lot of people.

You're Welcome GAF.

That's it. it could be translated as "teeming with life".

I can't imagine what it must feel like to start, stop, and restart a project that you badly wanted to do and do right. The excitement at the first announcement of BG&E 2 was nuts and I really wonder what it feels like for him to see how people feel about how long it has been since.

I just hope he makes the game he wants to make and that the story and characters are just as good as the first.

KORNdoggy

At this point give me wild. I can wait for BG&E, Especially after those shitty artworks released that looked like production work for the latest TMNT movie.

Top Bottom