• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michelle Obama: Women who didn't vote for Clinton “voted against their own voice”

CDX

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michelle-obama-women-non-clinton-voters-voted-against-their-own-voice/

"Any woman who voted against Hillary Clinton voted against their own voice," Obama said, , while maintaining that she and her husband, former president Barack Obama, still hope for Mr. Trump's success."We want him to be successful," she said of Mr. Trump. "He was elected."

"Part of our legacy is leaving with grace, is being humble and diplomatic," she said, according to Boston.com. "The Affordable Care Act isn't Barack's legacy, it's the country's legacy."

She also told an anecdote about how her daughters wanted to have a slumber party on their final night in the White House. Obama apparently turned them down: "'The Trumps are coming,'" she told them on the eve of Mr. Trump's inauguration.

I can't disagree with what she says at all.

Internalized sexism is a hell of a drug. Some women believe, on a very deep subconscious level, that it's wrong for a woman to reach higher and demand more, to be as assertive and demanding as their male counterparts.

She also told an anecdote about how her daughters wanted to have a slumber party on their final night in the White House. Obama apparently turned them down: "'The Trumps are coming,'" she told them on the eve of Mr. Trump's inauguration.

yeeesh.

Also, she's right.

If you were a racist white woman I can see why you would vote for Trump, but other than that I don't see any upside as to why you would vote for him.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot abortion.

Ri'Orius

Women aren't defined solely by their gender. Politics are a complicated, multifaceted subject, that ultimately comes down to a question of priorities. This election just shows that a lot of women care more about keeping Mexicans out of the US than they care about keeping rapists out of the Oval Office.

Even though I was of this mind back in the lead-up to the election, and I DID vote for Hillary Clinton, I'm not sure I like this attitude.

Clinton was the better of 2 options, and just because she was the primary candidate for the "leftist" (though let's be fair, Democrats are centre-right and they would rather fuck their ancestors bones than actually represent left-wing political ideals), people keep saying "you didn't vote for Clinton, this is your fault".

Again, she did win the popular vote, and I have no doubt she would do a better job than Trump, but people don't want to begrudgingly follow someone because they "sorta get where I'm coming from", I can't blame them. The only lesson I hope that is learned here is that Democrats will at least TRY to appeal to the leftist crowd rather than do this "same old, same old" shtick.

Man, if the me from 8 months ago saw me posting this, I'd be dumbfounded, but it's the reality of things - People wanted more from a broken political system, and it will not fix itself if people just sit on the sidelines and play along in fairness.

The Trumps are coming...

Goddamn Obama was wiser beyond years. He had to stay dormant because any sort of influence would be lambasted against his legacy and demeanor. All of that is just massive ammo for a rising white supremacist state.

i'm still amazed there are females who still supported the current bum in the oval office after the whole access hollywood tape debacle

but yeah, she's not wrong

Feel free to blame the 53%, it was laughable to see the Pink Pussy protests afterwards.

Like Chappelle said, "You was in on the heist, you just don't like your cut."

I wish Michelle had a desire to run for office. Nothing would be more satisfying than watching Trump get one-termed by another Obama, and I do think she's one of the safest bets we have in keeping him from a 2nd term.

Keri

Internalized sexism is a hell of a drug. Some women believe, on a very deep subconscious level, that it's wrong for a woman to reach higher and demand more, to be as assertive and demanding as their male counterparts.

I also think women are taught to sacrifice themselves for their families and this mind set can appear in elections. Yeah, Trump will destroy abortions rights and access to maternity health care, but maybe he'll bring back jobs or lower health care costs, so their family is overall better off... (At least I imagine this is what many thought).

Glass Rebel

According to some women I’ve overheard at work, Hillary was too much of a bitch. What can you do?

A lot of people think that ambitious and competent women come off as bossy and bitchy. Some of those people happen to be women, sadly.

jonezer4

She's absolutely right, but I don't think statements like this are gonna flick any light bulbs on. To the contrary, the type of person that self-sabotaged will likely double down unfortunately.

Shauni

Even though I was of this mind back in the lead-up to the election, and I DID vote for Hillary Clinton, I'm not sure I like this attitude.

Clinton was the better of 2 options, and just because she was the primary candidate for the "leftist" (though let's be fair, Democrats are centre-right and they would rather fuck their ancestors bones than actually represent left-wing political ideals), people keep saying "you didn't vote for Clinton, this is your fault".

Again, she did win the popular vote, and I have no doubt she would do a better job than Trump, but people don't want to begrudgingly follow someone because they "sorta get where I'm coming from", I can't blame them. The only lesson I hope that is learned here is that Democrats will at least TRY to appeal to the leftist crowd rather than do this "same old, same old" shtick.

Man, if the me from 8 months ago saw me posting this, I'd be dumbfounded, but it's the reality of things - People wanted more from a broken political system, and it will not fix itself if people just sit on the sidelines and play along in fairness.

Boy, some of you will take literally anything to spew both sides stuff

Suggesting Clinton is meant to speak for all women is offensive to the entire female gender.

What doesn't make sense to me is that on the one hand she's saying people voted against their self-interest...yet on the other hand moving forward she wants Pres. Trump to be successful? I'm getting whiplash from the rhetoric.

Nista

Any time I end up randomly talking to a woman who I find out voted for Trump, I automatically roll my eyes internally and try to extricate myself from the situation gracefully.

My true desire to pound on the table and yell "Why the hell did you think this was a good idea?" would probably get me tossed out of many establishments.

kirblar

I also think women are taught to sacrifice themselves for their families and this mind set can appear in elections. Yeah, Trump will destroy abortions rights and access to maternity health care, but maybe he'll bring back jobs or lower health care costs, so their family is overall better off... (At least I imagine this is what many thought).
Women are more team-oriented in general relative to men. A big part of the D/R divide is gender.

Mesoian

I mean she's right.

But her emails though.

What doesn't make sense to me is that on the one hand she's saying people voted against their self-interest...yet on the other hand moving forward she wants Pres. Trump to be successful? I'm getting whiplash from the rhetoric.

I mean, no one really wants him to be unsuccessful because while he's busy being unsuccessful, people are dying in the streets.

Strike

Blah, blah, blah, identity politics, most unlikable candidate in history, neoliberal shill, emails, benghazi, etc.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
i'm still amazed there are females who still supported the current bum in the oval office after the whole access hollywood tape debacle

but yeah, she's not wrong

Hasn't a lot of the post-election data pointed to the fact that the women that voted for Trump (which was the majority of white women) were more motivated by what would be best for white people rather than what would be best for women?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Some women would rather give up their own voice if it meant brown and black people get it worse.

pigeon

Banned

It's pretty standard boilerplate for people close to the White House to say they hope every president will be successful.

The assumption is that an unsuccessful president means an unsuccessful country.

In Trump's case I have some doubts about that.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
did she feel the same way when they voted for her husband over Hillary?

edit: misread it. ignore this shitpost.

Top Bottom