• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Accidentally reveals 21 million Xbox Series S/X and 58 million Xbox one sold.

Ar¢tos

From a post in that other thread: if those potential Greenberg quoted numbers are correct, they've sold about 8 million units in the last 14 months assuming they've gone from 14.87M to 21.87M?

uqid62v.jpg
Why skip a gen and compare with 360 instead of X1?
Wouldn't it make more sense to compare a gen with the previous one?

mrmustard

Banned
VGChartz was not accurate. What you're seeing is updated data that they corrected after other (more reliable) sources shared significantly different data.

They were advertising more than 20 million at the start of December 2022.

If Xbox is now at 21 million, does this mean that Microsoft has sold only 1 million units in the last 7 months? That's obviously incorrect.

Guess they work with estimates and extrapolation and have to update and correct it frequently. My VGCartz numbers were from early May.

jm89

58M+ for the Xbox One is actually a good number considering all the stuff that happened last gen with Xbox. IMO both the One S and especially the X were solid consoles (got the latter and still have it for some backwards compatible games).
Question is how many of those people stuck around?

Xbox one situation went through a almost generation long drought of good games and negativity. The Xbox one sales started of well, and a lot of that is probably good faith from the 360 generation.

Then add in stuff like ps4 become the defacto fighting games consoles, and much better games. They probably lost people.

mrmustard

Banned
The Xbox one sales started of well, and a lot of that is probably good faith from the 360 generation.
In what world started the Xbox One well? It was a desaster from the beginning, because it was much to expensive and Kinect and the promo sucked. PS4 had a 10 million lead pretty fast.

jm89

In what world started the Xbox One well? It was a desaster from the beginning, because it was much to expensive and Kinect and the promo sucked. PS4 had a 10 million lead pretty fast.
If you look at the NPD sales data early on it wasn't doing that bad actually, maybe not as good as ps4 but it wasn't that bad. It's as the generation progressed is really when it really struggled.

mrmustard

Banned
If you look at the NPD sales data early on it wasn't doing that bad actually, maybe not as good as ps4 but it wasn't that bad. It's as the generation progressed is really when it really struggled.
You can't be doing well if the competitor humiliates you from the beginning. They even added Fifa and later removed Kinect, didn't help. The whole last gen was a desaster for Xbox from start to finish.

Riky

$MSFT
21 million before the slate of first party games hits, solid but unspectacular. Series S catching new players must be in the 5 million bracket so there are a lot of Xbox One owners still to upgrade.
Starfield will probably be the tipping point for many of them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Guess they work with estimates and extrapolation and have to update and correct it frequently. My VGCartz numbers were from early May.
VGChartz is mostly guesses, and they are even terrible at that.

I was sitting at home and could figure out the Xbox console sales data with 95% accuracy. VGChartz was 25% off at times. It's just best to ignore them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
He is right actually. Xbox One started really well. For reference, launch aligned Xbox One performed well than how Series X|S are performing right now. XOne had sold more consoles.

Even 2 years later, One was performing very well.

pMXAfei.jpg

The launch, as bad as it looks in hindsight, was not a big issue. The sales dropped later when the games dried up.

mrmustard

Banned
He is right actually. Xbox One started really well. For reference, launch aligned Xbox One performed well than how Series X|S are performing right now. XOne had sold more consoles.

pMXAfei.jpg

The launch, as bad as it looks in hindsight, was not a big issue. The sales dropped later when the games dried up.
Easy to to achieve when the PS4 was sold out for many months. Both fucked up with with launch games and i think Sonys first really big AAA came mid 2016 and by that time it was already over and out with like 45 millions to 20 millions and didn't get much worse afterwards. It was constanly bad. The 399 vs 499 + the bad promos with the tvtvtv shit + how to trade games broke Xbox's neck.

They had their chance when Sony fucked up the Ps3 launch, but they messed up the Xbox One launch even worse.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
58 million for Xbox one is pretty good for that piece of shit.
In Brazil, Xbox One was sold way cheaper in comparison with PS4, but didn't take too long to both be basically the same price, and then no games in the stores

Brucey

Why skip a gen and compare with 360 instead of X1?
Wouldn't it make more sense to compare a gen with the previous one?
I think it's to do with how the sales over time ended up on 360 vs xb1 generation. 360 had a slow start with yields/shortages and rrod. It didn't really ramp up until 3rd year and then Kinect gave it a boost for several years. Not a lot less than Xbo but prob the only way to say they were "doing better than before".

From this post: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...4-2022-ps5-7-1-million.1658328/post-268134013

H5oiCDz.jpg

I think series will reach 65 to 70 Mill when all Is said and done.

I always said 70 million would be good for them this time.
I guess when you dream, you should dream big. Id like to see your yearly breakdown for how the Series, which has already started to decline this early in the gen, and has fallen behind a system that sold 58M, reaches 65M.

58M+ for the Xbox One is actually a good number considering all the stuff that happened last gen with Xbox. IMO both the One S and especially the X were solid consoles (got the latter and still have it for some backwards compatible games).
Maybe if they were sold at full price. However, if you remember, MS constantly had fire sales for the One. In fact, consumers got so used to it that sales would plummet on months there were no discounts, as they waited for that inevitable $50-$100 off the retail price.

Ar¢tos

Because 360 sales started slower than the xbox one but took off later, so to make it look like it is a big improvement he pulled the 360 numbers. Tracking behind or close to the Xbox One would have been a bad look.
Do they think costumers or shareholders are that dumb that they won't question it then?

Sony's best selling console sold 150 million units
Microsoft's best selling console sold something close to 85 million
It's safe to say that there are almost twice more people interested in Playstation and looks like it didn't change.
58 million is very good for a console that almost killed the Xbox division.

It's funny how things changed, I remember people being pretty vocal about how one of the big three would not survive last gen and people though it would be Playstation.

I hope MS sells a lot, not because they deserve, but because I can't stand hearing one more time how they are the victims and how Sony forces them to do [insert bad thing for costumers]

Last edited:
Maybe if they were sold at full price. However, if you remember, MS constantly had fire sales for the One. In fact, consumers got so used to it that sales would plummet on months there were no discounts, as they waited for that inevitable $50-$100 off the retail price.

I guess you're right. I got my One X for 350 euros in late 2018 while the MSRP was higher than that.

Luigi Mario

pMXAfei.jpg

I distinctly remember Microsoft making PR statements every few months in 2014 on how Xbox One was outperforming Xbox 360 launch aligned.
Xbox One sales only started to collapse in early 2016 and you could argue that Microsoft had the better first-party lineup for the first two years.

Last edited:

lucbr

Sounds like good numbers for the Series S/X. Bad was the big drop from the 360 to the One.

We have to remember that currently we don't need an Xbox to play Microsoft games. It wasn't the case in the Xbox One days. Even more, the big titles haven't arrived yet while many of the One's best came early in the generation.

I can see a bright future for the Xbox ecosystem.

Last edited:

onQ123

Yeah, the 50 million figure, for the console in itself, seems very high in hindsight.

I think it's to do with how the sales over time ended up on 360 vs xb1 generation. 360 had a slow start with yields/shortages and rrod. It didn't really ramp up until 3rd year and then Kinect gave it a boost for several years. Not a lot less than Xbo but prob the only way to say they were "doing better than before".

From this post: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...4-2022-ps5-7-1-million.1658328/post-268134013

H5oiCDz.jpg
As you can see Kinect was the best thing to happen to Xbox sales wise. Series S with a cheap Kinect bundle would easily take over the holidays

58 million down from 84 million (Xbox 360) …… and only 21 million nearly half a gen in? They may not even cross 50 million this gen….

Next year is half a gen in.

That thread seemed to show Xbox series at ~18.5 million at end of 2022. To be at 21+ million in June 2023 seems pretty slow to be honest.

I don't think they were at 18.5 sold through which these numbers are apparently. I know the source though they were but it's likely the truth is that 18.5 was probably shipped.

Xbox one situation went through a almost generation long drought of good games and negativity. The Xbox one sales started of well, and a lot of that is probably good faith from the 360 generation.

Actually Xbox One was praised for games early on. if anything this makes my skepticism of Phil lying about him saving the Xbox One when it was doing it's best performance-wise. Then a few years later he has a private email exchange contemplating shutting down Xbox and making it a mobile gaming company during a turn around?

Series S with a cheap Kinect bundle would easily take over the holidays

Kinect is dead, it has no mindshare now for this to work. They would have to make a new version of Kinect and market it under a different brand with new features. But what new features can you add to controllerless waggle that will have everyone run to Walmart and push old lady's over racing toward the shelves?

onQ123

Next year is half a gen in.

I don't think they were at 18.5 sold through which these numbers are apparently. I know the source though they were but it's likely the truth is that 18.5 was probably shipped.

Actually Xbox One was praised for games early on. if anything this makes my skepticism of Phil lying about him saving the Xbox One when it was doing it's best performance-wise. Then a few years later he has a private email exchange contemplating shutting down Xbox and making it a mobile gaming company during a turn around?

Kinect is dead, it has no mindshare now for this to work. They would have to make a new version of Kinect and market it under a different brand with new features. But what new features can you add to controllerless waggle that will have everyone run to Walmart and push old lady's over racing toward the shelves?
False Just Dance still sell boatloads every holiday & Series S is in the price range to be perfect for the just dance crowd

Pretty good considering lack of big releases and putting a chunk of it into cloud. Will be interesting to see the next year after exclusive game launches and so on.

NickFire

21/22 does not sound unrealistic.

More interested in S and X splits than total sales. Such an unprecedented move for launching a console. Results could be interesting.

21m+ for the Xbox Series is similar to what the Xbone was doing launch aligned, with a better strategy from the former than the latter.

Not too good in my eyes, but legs will be key.

No; Xbox Series has been tracking worst than XBO this year, closer to OG Xbox levels. OG Xbox did 6.2 million in its third year, FWIW.

I've seen some people (mainly Welfare) say these numbers are from March but...the presentation was fairly recent, correct? I would expect MS used the most recent numbers, so at least from the start of June and maybe post-Diablo IV since that game had a nice bump for Xbox in certain markets (at least momentarily) thanks to the bundle.

Which IMO is a more realistic time frame for where these numbers are coming from. Would make 18 million, even 18.5 million sold-through for EOY '22 realistic. Maybe even closer to 19 million EOY '22 if OG Xbox's 6.2 million for its Year 3 was more loaded in the back-half.

The only surprise here IMO would be XBO numbers. The 58 million estimate was out there before, but I guess this officially confirms it.

93xfan

Banned
Really surprised that Xbox One sold more than 58 million consoles with such a lackluster, barren, and dire first-party situation.
Halo MCC sand BC. While the former was disappointing for a while, it’s now my most played MP game.

Brucey

As you can see Kinect was the best thing to happen to Xbox sales wise. Series S with a cheap Kinect bundle would easily take over the holidays
360 Kinect was lightning in a bottle. Misleading MS marketing also helped. Once people realized it's actual capabilities, that was that. A Kinect v3 would be pretty likely to flop imo.

onQ123

360 Kinect was lightning in a bottle. Misleading MS marketing also helped. Once people realized it's actual capabilities, that was that. A Kinect v3 would be pretty likely to flop imo.

Kinect in this era of social media would do well I bet a camera would do 5X better than PSVR2

21/22 does not sound unrealistic.

More interested in S and X splits than total sales. Such an unprecedented move for launching a console. Results could be interesting.
My guess is 75% S, 25% X. The S has always been available and never been scalped (in the UK).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No; Xbox Series has been tracking worst than XBO this year, closer to OG Xbox levels. OG Xbox did 6.2 million in its third year, FWIW.

I've seen some people (mainly Welfare) say these numbers are from March but...the presentation was fairly recent, correct? I would expect MS used the most recent numbers, so at least from the start of June and maybe post-Diablo IV since that game had a nice bump for Xbox in certain markets (at least momentarily) thanks to the bundle.

Which IMO is a more realistic time frame for where these numbers are coming from. Would make 18 million, even 18.5 million sold-through for EOY '22 realistic. Maybe even closer to 19 million EOY '22 if OG Xbox's 6.2 million for its Year 3 was more loaded in the back-half.

The only surprise here IMO would be XBO numbers. The 58 million estimate was out there before, but I guess this officially confirms it.

For some reason I thought og xbox was like 20 odd million lifetime.:/

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I did not realize this....
For some reason I thought og xbox was like 20 odd million lifetime.:/
Same.

I think ...for know....this puts things in perspective. Obviously its gonna sell more than the og Xbox.

Kinda makes sense why MS isnt really open to sharing console sales.

Microsoft has seemingly accidentally revealed Xbox Series X|S sales numbers as well as sales numbers for the Xbox One.

As posted by Twitter user 'John Welfare' after being spotted by @Lukastaves Microsoft held a presentation during this year's BIG Festival in Brazil which is taking place from June 28th through July 2nd. Interestingly, during this presentation, Microsoft showed a sheet revealing Xbox console sales numbers, including sales numbers for the Series X|S. We've included the sheet in question below.

Based on this sheet, combined Xbox Series X|S sales have surpassed 21 million units worldwide. Unfortunately, the sheet doesn't mention whether this number refers to shipped numbers or actual sold-through units. The sheet also mentions combined sales numbers for Xbox Series and Xbox One. Since this sheet mentions 79+ million combined Xbox One and Xbox Series units globally, we can assume that Microsoft has managed to sell over 58 million Xbox One consoles during its lifetime. Interestingly, since Xbox One consoles left sales channels as of 2020, it's likely that this number refers to actual sold-through numbers.

Xbox Series X|S sales

According to Microsoft's presentation, 48% of Xbox Series S players are actually new Xbox players. This is in line with what Xbox head Phil Spencer said about Xbox console player growth in Asia last year.

“This generation, we’re welcoming more new console players to Xbox than ever before in Asia, largely because of [Xbox] Series S, where more than half of sales have gone to first-time Xbox owners", Spencer said back in September of 2022.

As most of you will know, Microsoft hasn't been sharing Xbox console sales numbers for quite some time, but over the years, we have had various research firms estimating sales numbers for Xbox consoles. Back in 2018, IHS Markit Research estimated that more than 39.1 million Xbox One consoles were sold as of March 2018. "We are continuing to look at engagement as our key metric for success and are no longer reporting on total console sales,” a Microsoft spokesperson told said some years ago.

For reference, back in April of this year, main competitor Sony reported to have sold another 6.3 million PS5 consoles globally in their first financial quarter this year. As also reported by Sony, as of March 31, 2023, global PlayStation 5 sales have surpassed 38.4 million. Financial results for Sony's second financial quarter will be revealed next month, and we are interested to see how many more PS5 consoles Sony has managed to sell in three months.

It looks like i have to adjust my data spread sheet, estimations for Xbox Series was in line but i only had Xbox One at 51 million. Yearly and lifetime sales need to be increased significantly. Vgchartz also just updated the platform total for Xbox One from 51 million to 57.9 million as well , their Xbox series number was 21.9 million so they haven't adjusted that.

EDIT: Xbox One yearly and total numbers adjusted up to 58 million using vgchartz data
S3ioPvu.png

Last edited:

H5oiCDz.jpg
The Xbox One number is going to be adjusted up to 58 million and it is almost one million per year short but at least the Series S/X are spot on. However we shouldn't even have to estimate though because Sony have shown quarterly sales since 2007 and Nintendo have shown quarterly sales since 2001. Still i am really surprised that Xbox One hit 58 million, historically that is pretty good and only 4 million short of the NES.

Top Bottom