• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Zenimax/Bethesda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpbaa

This is kinda annoying as a id software and playstation fan, but I'm probably going to buy an xsx or xss for the next Forza Horizon anyway.

DryvBy

Whew, good job whoever made this.

CCKnZXF.png

Last edited:
Bethesda games benefit from multiple platforms. With Skyrim benefiting from multiple generations on multiple platforms.

Sony is putting up those numbers on a single console.

Again, the hyperbole that Sony is in some kind of trouble is hilarious.
They will release ES first Xbox and pc and 1 year later PS5 for 70$. Simple. ES6 will sell even after 1 year.

Sony doing same with FF16. So MS is like we will do that also bitch

Bodomism

Banned
Fallout 4 - 23 million
Fallout 76 - 1.5 Million
Skyrim - 30+ million
Elder Scrolls Online - 15 Million

Both multi-platform. Skyrim was rereleased repeatedly across all platforms. I doubt Bethesda could ever recapture what they did with Skyrim.

God of War - 12 million
Spiderman - 13 million
Uncharted 4 - 16 million
Last of Us Remastered - 10 Million
Gran Turismo Sport - 8 Million

PS4.

The hyperbole surrounding this acquisition is hilarious.
GTS 8 million? Lmao dude just stopped. NSMBUD that constantly charted in worldwide sales charts only sold 7M and GTS disappeared a few weeks after released lol.

Also Uncharted 4 and other Sony exclusives were heavily bundled with the system, for example 4.1 million units of UC4 were given away for free bundled with PS4 in the US according to ZhugeEX.

Only Nintendo can claim superiority in exclusive sales since they're selling it at full price and rarely bundled it with the system unlike Sony and Microsoft.

Kururu

Sir Laughs-A-Lot
Staff Member
This thread is moving pretty quick but just a reminder that passion and some forms of gloating and banter is perfectly fine. But I've been seeing some clear signs of console warring that's unacceptable. Let's leave the "xbots" and "sony ponies" out of this and be kind to each other.

After the agreement between Microsoft and Bethesda, Obsidian already fiddles with the idea of Fallout New Vegas 2

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Crazy acquisition. I really hope they don't make future projects exclusive and lock everyone else out. They did the right thing with Minecraft and it payed off. Let's see how consumer friendly they are in the future. With this acquisition, Gamepass is almost a must now.

These comments crack me up. Just the other day Sony fans talking about PC gamers always port-begging and how entitled they are expecting Sony exclusives to come to PC. PC is NOT a direct competitor of Sony. Sony IS a direct competitor to Xbox but all day today Sony fans have been port-begging and expecting Xbox to bring their exclusive games from their $7 billion investment to the PS5.

Talk about port-begging and entitled. You want to play these games buy an Xbox or a PC.

Starfield

These comments crack me up. Just the other day Sony fans talking about PC gamers always port-begging and how entitled they are expecting Sony exclusives to come to PC. PC is NOT a direct competitor of Sony. Sony IS a direct competitor to Xbox but all day today Sony fans have been port-begging and expecting Xbox to bring their exclusive games from their $7 billion investment to the PS5.

Talk about port-begging and entitled. You want to play these games buy an Xbox or a PC.
No, you can't just use logic and reason, this isn't the place for that!

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like I can see timed exlusives and Day 1 game pass things going on, but I can't really see them purposely excluding PS5 for all the Bethesda-published games. That's a ton of money left on the table.

Make it feel like Xbox is the place to get the games because they come out earlier and are included in the subscription, but to give up hundreds of millions of dollars on each game? I don't see it.

Starfield

I feel like I can see timed exlusives and Day 1 game pass things going on, but I can't really see them purposely excluding PS5 for all the Bethesda-published games. That's a ton of money left on the table.

Make it feel like Xbox is the place to get the games because they come out earlier and are included in the subscription, but to give up hundreds of millions of dollars on each game? I don't see it.
Yeah, can't wait to play Spiderman on Xbox and PC

you can say the same thing about any publisher that puts out exclusives. If anyone can absorb the loss it is Microsoft. they don’t NEED Sony sales at all, and especially when they have consoles, PCs, phones and tablets accessing their service.

Last edited:

It’s even more annoying reading those who want Sony to acquire other publisher as a counter to this, while giving for granted MS will publish most, if not all, of the Zenimax studios in their platform of choice.

For some people it seems Microsoft has alteady gone third-party, like if they don’t have their own platforms, or they just don’t care. It seems like it’s ok to lock down studios and exclusives only for Playstation and Nintendo

I don't think Microsoft is foolish enough to have exclusives, since they have realized there's money to be made from everyone. Us PC gamers are wise when it comes to spending money, but there's so many of us that subscribe to gamepass, since it's a really good offer, especially with even more games coming in, plus EA games library.

They will make money from ps4/5 gamers for sure, and they will funnel that money back into the program to attract more and more people. They'll have a huge chunk of Xbox, pc, and Sony gamers on gamepass. (And yes I said Sony gamers, since the majority of them claim they have high end gaming pc's, and they can play Xbox games on their PC)

Grinchy

Banned
I don't think Microsoft is foolish enough to have exclusives, since they have realized there's money to be made from everyone. Us PC gamers are wise when it comes to spending money, but there's so many of us that subscribe to gamepass, since it's a really good offer, especially with even more games coming in, plus EA games library.

They will make money from ps4/5 gamers for sure, and they will funnel that money back into the program to attract more and more people. They'll have a huge chunk of Xbox, pc, and Sony gamers on gamepass. (And yes I said Sony gamers, since the majority of them claim they have high end gaming pc's, and they can play Xbox games on their PC)
Exactly. It's not like they spent $2.5B on Minecraft and then removed the ability to profit like crazy on it by keeping it off competing platforms.

They aren't spending $7.5B on a publisher to remove the ability to profit like crazy on it. They can easily bolster their Xbox/game pass platform by making these games synonymous with it, but they won't forgo the hundreds of millions in revenue that each one of those games will bring in from Playstation versions.

CatLady

One of the Sony Bros complaints is they like to own their games and that's no problem either. They don't have to use GP they can buy these games through either the Xbox Store or Steam to play on the gaming PCs they all own.

Through PSN to play on PS4/PS5 ummmm NO.

Last edited:
GTS 8 million? Lmao dude just stopped. NSMBUD that constantly charted in worldwide sales charts only sold 7M and GTS disappeared a few weeks after released lol.

Also Uncharted 4 and other Sony exclusives were heavily bundled with the system, for example 4.1 million units of UC4 were given away for free bundled with PS4 in the US according to ZhugeEX.

Only Nintendo can claim superiority in exclusive sales since they're selling it at full price and rarely bundled it with the system unlike Sony and Microsoft.

The 8 Million number came from a Sony Investor Presentation.

The Presentation (page 55):

The numbers in the slide seem about right for other games, yet GT Sport is wildly inflated? And the GT Sport number isn't sourced from VGChartz (that's for the All Time Seller slide). VGChartz lists a different number for GTS.

Shuhei Yoshida also acknowledged the number.

If its bullshit its what Sony was pushing.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

"XB has no gamez lulz"
f7194c8bf327f739f79f6dc8401cc747.jpg

*24 hours later*

12844546.jpg

CatLady

Exactly. It's not like they spent $2.5B on Minecraft and then removed the ability to profit like crazy on it by keeping it off competing platforms.

They aren't spending $7.5B on a publisher to remove the ability to profit like crazy on it. They can easily bolster their Xbox/game pass platform by making these games synonymous with it, but they won't forgo the hundreds of millions in revenue that each one of those games will bring in from Playstation versions.

OMG think of all the money Sony is losing by not making Xbox and PC versions of all their exclusives. I can't wait to play the series X version of God of War and Horizon FW 🤪

Last edited:
The Bethesda/Zenimax buy, I beleive, is more to get the biggest potential audience on PC to buy into GamePass. The fact that they can/may still release these titles to consoles is a bonus.

jigglet

Banned
Isn't this good news for Sony fans? Before this, Bethesda games might have been split; some PS exclusive, some XB exclusive and some never appearing on PC. Now every game is almost guranteed to appear on PC. So instead of owning three platforms you can now get away with owning PS5 + PC. This seems like a win to me in some way. I want to own all 3 systems but my god the space they're occupying is becoming too much.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

Ive literally been laughing at this all day. Before this acquisition, everyone was like, "exclusives are what sells consoles! What good is all that power if there are no games to play on it!"

That shit changed up real quick today. I even saw a poster say something to the tune of, "I hope Microsoft hasnt been listening to all this exclusive talk going on over the years! Would be a shame to lock out Sony gamers"..

Ive seen Jesus at least four times today, laughing so hard.

Stuart360

People keep mentiomning Minecraft but wasnt Minecraft already on Playstation when Microsoft bought them?, i could be totally wrong there.
Besides Phil already said in numerous interviews, including live on CNBC that they bought Bethesda for 'the Xbox community', and will only honour the current contract in place with Sony. He DID say in one of the interviews that they will look at other consoles on a 'game by game bases', but he could of been talking about Switch for all we know. Plus i very much doubt the real big hitters, the potential system sellers in Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Doom, would be releasing on PS5. The best you could hope for is the Dishonoreds and preys, and even then i dont think that will happen.

Ive literally been laughing at this all day. Before this acquisition, everyone was like, "exclusives are what sells consoles! What good is all that power if there are no games to play on it!"

That shit changed up real quick today. I even saw a poster say something to the tune of, "I hope Microsoft hasnt been listening to all this exclusive talk going on over the years! Would be a shame to lock out Sony gamers"..

Ive seen Jesus at least four times today, laughing so hard.
Only 4 times?! You must have taken a break from GAF for the majority of the day. I thought the Nvidia 30XX series meltdown was bad, but today was fucking NUTS!

Last edited:

EDMIX

Agreed. I think the cost of this deal is so fucking huge, that its more likely you'll see those major AAA titles on Playstation, Nintendo etc. The cost is simply too high.

At 2.5 billion for 1 team, Minecraft can't afford to be on 1 system.
Yet 7.5 billion for several teams outputting AAA games folks really think it won't be multiplatform? :messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I simply see this as MS transitioning into being a 3rd party publisher. When you have a 100 million install base with PlayStation and a 150 million potential install base with Nintendo, its extremely unlikely at such a massive cost at 7.5 billion that they'd be looking to LIMIT systems.

They didn't do that with Minecraft, that game had tons of spin offs that released on like 5 or 6 platforms NOT OWNED BY MS. So if they'll do that with 1 IP, I have a hard time believing spending 3x times that suddenly means they'll want to make even less or something. Very, very likely you'll see Elder Scrolls VI, Starfield, Fallout 5 on PS5, like you'll see Doom and other IP on Switch or what ever Nintendo puts out next. Based on how MS treated their last massive deal, I see this no different then that Minecraft deal.

MS be like "lets make less money by putting them on less systems after we just spent 7.5 billion to make less of da money" /s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom