• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Zenimax/Bethesda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
All Xbox games are on Steam day one now. Idk why that would change. Honestly it will probably only get better with the removal of the shitty bethesda launcher.

I don't either, but at the same time I didn't see this deal coming, so who knows how they will act. Just worried, is all.

Agree about the Bethesda launcher. It needs to go away.

EDMIX

Minecraft was already on PS4, just, when Microsoft bought Minecraft. And as another user said, the rumour was that the dev insisted on the game being multiplatform for the deal to go through.

Anyway just watch the Phil interview with CNBC. he literally said they bought Bethesda for the Xbox community, and the future games will be coming to Xbox, PC, and Gamepass. He even said how they now have 23 studios making games for Xbox.

??? What I'm talking about with Minecraft isn't based on it coming to PS4, it the series continuing on Playstation, Nintendo, Apple aka iOS, Android etc...

Did you really not know that all those sides games released after that deal?

Sooooooo I wouldn't be in a rush assuming that them spending 2.5 billion means you'll see future stuff in those IPs only appear on limited systems as that didn't happen with Minecraft.

Yet you think them spending 3x more means they'll want to make less money by having even less systems to sell to? huh? :messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Seriously did you really not know that they continued making new games on Playstation, Nintendo, apple, android etc?

Last edited:

Stuart360

??? What I'm talking about with Minecraft isn't based on it coming to PS4, it the series continuing on Playstation, Nintendo, Apple aka iOS, Android etc...

Its Minecraft though, its played by like 90% kids. Its a diferent market to AAA games. And for all we know, any future Minecraft games may also of been part of the initial deal.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This times 10000000.

We've had to endure almost a decade of slander from Sony fans about Xbox not having any exclusives, and they absolutely raved when Sony made Spiderman exclusive to PS4. Now Microsoft goes ahead and makes tremendous moves to secure exclusives for Xbox and they cry about it? The hypocrisy there is absolutely insane. Either you're for exclusives or your not, but you can't have it both ways. Jesus.

Kudos to Microsoft for this incredible power play. This is exactly what Xbox needed right now going into next-gen. If they can also somehow acquire Rocksteady to make Gotham Knights an Xbox exclusive to rival Spiderman... we'll have ourselves a fight. Microsoft ain't playing around anymore.

Yeah we have 2 games by studios Xbox now owns and Xbox gamers can't play those games when they launch because shady Sony moneyhatted timed exclusives before Xbox bought them. Shady Sony also tried to moneyhat Starfield. Xbox has endured months of bad PR for going cross gen until the end of next year thanks in part to the shade Sony threw on them with we believe in generations which turned out to be a lie.

But hell yeah, Xbox should use $7B worth of their exclusives to prop up Shady Sony's platform.. Guess what Xbox has it's own console, PCs, Sony gamers on PC, Android phones and Samsung TVs with xCloud. They do NOT need PlayStation consoles. Buy an Xbox or game on one of the numerous other options available. Although I'm sure like with Minecraft they will leave ESO and FO76 on PS since they are already there but that's it

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Sure, but based on how they treated Minecraft's buyout, I simply don't see that with spending 3x more, they'd want to take longer to get it back.

Unlikely.
This ain't Minecraft my dude. These are iconic franchises with a long history on the Xbox platform. This deal basically fills the gaps they've had within their games line up and puts them on even playing field with Sony. Almost every game they now own through this deal are GOTY contenders, system/sub sellers of high caliber ajoined with Halo, Gears, FH, Forza, Original, SoT and the rest. It kills the "Xbox has no games" mantra in its entirety, and keeps these games away from Amazon and Google. You don't share that kind of clout with Sony.

Not to mention, its a huge statement against Sony and them buying all these 3rd party deals. It states, "chill out with that shit, broski, before I have to beat dat ass!"

Let's face it; Sony can't compete with Microsoft as a whole. They aren't even in the same league. Sony is only up against one aspect of the Microsoft organization. Not to ride Sony on this but those are facts. No way they spend that kind of money to help Sony out too.

If that were the case, Phil would've just stated that they plan to stay multiplatform in his news presser this afternoon. He didn't. He said they'll honor the contracts in place. That means that's it after this. PS won't have access to these games once contractual obligations are honored.

EDMIX

Its Minecraft though, its played by like 90% kids. Its a diferent market to AAA games. And for all we know, any future Minecraft games may also of been part of the initial deal.

Sir, those are "future" minecraft titles though. I simply think many on here didn't know they continued to make those Minecraft games, so you thought the deal for it to be on PS4 was simply based on timing instead of actually fucking factoring in the cost was simply too high to REALLY be skipping systems. So don't make more money? Spend 2 billion, but make less in the process? huh?

MS owns other IP that can work with "kids" yet you don't see all of those on many platforms........

Here is a difference.....a 2.5 BLLION DOLLAR difference....

Yet you think they'll spend 7.5 BILLION, literally 3x MORE then what they did with Minecraft and then go on to release it on less systems to net them less money?

Simply doesn't make sense.

"for all we know, any future Minecraft games may also of been part of the initial deal" ? Yet several developers have made Minecraft spin off games, so why would that deal be for a studio NOT PART OF THAT DEAL? So Telltale Games? Take a look at some of the teams making those side games.

I think its fair to say that part of that "deal" was to make as much money as they fucking can because they just spent 2.5 billion.

That is the safest thing I think anyone can think regarding such a deal. Their goal is to still actually make money, I don't know how they'd make more money by having less systems to sell to. They didn't do that with Minecraft's buyout, they are even MORE unlikely to do that now after spending 3 times more money on even more costly AAA titles.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Sir, those are "future" minecraft titles though.

MS owns other IP that can work with "kids" yet you don't see all of those on may platforms........

Its pocket change to Microsoft.
Alright so are you suggesting Phil was outright lying when he said what he said today, bearing in mind he said it live on CNBC Business?.

EDMIX

Alright so are you suggesting Phil was outright lying when he said what he said today, bearing in mind he said it live on CNBC Business?.

oh please, I don't think his statement was "you will never see theses games on any other platforms" to claim anyone is "lying".

They spent 2.5 billion on Minecraft and proceeded to put it on many, many platforms with many spin offs.

Doubtful that spending 3 times more must mean they will want to put games out on less platforms. They need to recoup.

MS is still actually a business...

(especially coming from a person that didn't even know the Minecraft IP was literally being put on Playstation, Nintendo's, Apple, Android etc)

So when you tell me stuff like "Minecraft was already on PS4" ....oh....sooooo you don't know that they've been putting that IP on every fucking platform imaginable to recoup those cost?

Then.

"Its Minecraft though, its played by like 90% kids" Well yes, its as if MS is putting the games on install bases that actually sell to the correct demographics and audiences to recoup the cost and make a return.

Yet....they won't magically do this with those Zenimax IP's? The very thing you were unaware that they already did with Minecraft? :pie_raybans:

Last edited:

Stuart360

oh please, I don't think his statement was "you will never see theses games on any other platforms" to claim anyone is "lying".

They spent 2.5 billion on Minecraft and proceeded to put it on many, many platforms with many spin offs.

Doubtful that spending 3 times more must mean they will want to put games out on less platforms. They need to recoup.

(espeically coming from a person that didn't even know the Minecraft IP was literally being put on Playstation, Nintendo's, Apple, Android etc)
Oh look lets just agree to dissagree. We will know soon enough anyway i'm sure.

Phil also said games on other consoles will be on a case by case basis. Which could be referencing things like Elder Scrolls. Or not and its referencing future Nintendo ports.

Recently however, Bethesda has been working more tightly with Sony. Bethesda had previously agreed to debut two of its upcoming games, Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo, on Sony’s new PlayStation rather than Xbox. Both games were announced as “timed console exclusives,” meaning that they would be restricted to the PlayStation 5 for a fixed period of time before coming to Xbox.

Microsoft will keep that commitment, Spencer said in an interview. Future games, like Starfield, will be available for Xbox, PC and Microsoft’s Game Pass video-game service. “We’ll take other consoles on a case-by-case basis,” Spencer said.

Last edited:

Gavon West

(espeically coming from a person that didn't even know the Minecraft IP was literally being put on Playstation, Nintendo's, Apple, Android etc)
Maybe you're forgetting how many devices they actually have next gen. Theres the consoles S and X, there's PC, Steam and Xcloud which includes phones, pads laptops etc. That's alot of devices. You don't even need to buy a console next gen if you don't want to. You can sub to GP and play games on the go.

They don't need Sony.

EDMIX

Oh look lets just agree to dissagree. We will know soon enough anyway i'm sure.

Maybe. Its not to say you won't see many that just stay on PC / XB, simply that at 7.5 billion, something is telling me that the only way they even allowed this at the higher ups was with the understanding they were going to put those games on as many systems as they could to recoup. So I'm sure you'll see smaller titles only on PC / XB, but some of those more expensive AAA might not make enough sense to then try to sell to a smaller install base then before.

Last edited:

Gavon West

What gets me is Microsoft couldve done this a long time ago. At anytime they can simply bitch slap the competition like they did today. This Bethesda deal proves one thing: Microsoft has only been playing nice.

They could do a deal like this nine more times before they even start to notice. Madness.

Maybe. Its not to say you won't see many that just stay on PC / XB, simply that at 7.5 billion, something is telling me that the only way they even allowed this at the higher ups was with the understanding they were going to put those games on as many systems as they could to recoup. So I'm sure you'll see smaller titles only on PC / XB, but some of those more expensive AAA might not make enough sense to then try to sell to a smaller install base then before.

“On a case by case basis” is pretty clear cut. They COULD release on other consoles if they wanted to, but it is in no way shape or form a mandate.They are MS titles now, and that’s the way it is. Even if they did release on other platforms, it is more likely to be a Nintendo port than a Sony port. If you think MS needs PlayStation sales then you have another thing coming.

CatLady

Sir, those are "future" minecraft titles though. I simply think many on here didn't know they continued to make those Minecraft games, so you thought the deal for it to be on PS4 was simply based on timing instead of actually fucking factoring in the cost was simply too high to REALLY be skipping systems. So don't make more money? Spend 2 billion, but make less in the process? huh?

MS owns other IP that can work with "kids" yet you don't see all of those on many platforms........

Yet you think they'll spend 7.5 BILLION, literally 3x MORE then what they did with Minecraft and then go on to release it on less systems to net them less money?

Simply doesn't make sense.

"for all we know, any future Minecraft games may also of been part of the initial deal" ? Yet several developers have made Minecraft spin off games, so why would that deal be for a studio NOT PART OF THAT DEAL? So Telltale Games? Take a look at some of the teams making those side games.

I think its fair to say that part of that "deal" was to make as much money as they fucking can because they just spent 2.5 billion.

That is the safest thing I think anyone can think regarding such a deal. Their goal is to still actually make money, I don't know how they'd make more money by having less systems to sell to. They didn't do that with Minecraft's buyout, they are even MORE unlikely to do that now after spending 3 times more money on even more costly AAA titles.

No matter how many times you say but Minecraft, 2.5 BLLION DOLLARS, "it doesn't make sense" or 3x MORE it's not going to make it happen the way you want it to.

pasterpl

I just realised that ms is probably on shopping spree at the moment, they made an Offer for wb games, they have express interest in TikTok, now they have acquired zenimax, it is clear that they want to invest, so question is, who is next? As I am sure they are not done yet.

Nah man you're being generous 3 or 4 years is too soon go all in and say 5+ years. You fanboys really have become completely unhinged since this reveal about Bethesda. Go piss up another tree with that absolute drivel your spewing.

Wow, said like an absolute fanboy 😂
We’re talking about you saying Bethesda will have something new lined up for Xbox in 2021 or 2022 which we all know isn’t true, you have your moment don’t worry.

I can see by your other posts here you are literally MS PR right now, please continue.

Last edited:

CatLady

Phil also said games on other consoles will be on a case by case basis. Which could be referencing things like Elder Scrolls. Or not and its referencing future Nintendo ports.

I could see something like The Elder Scrolls possibly getting ported to Nintendo a few years after release on Xbox/PC they aren't really a direct competitor to Xbox and there seems to be a good relationship between the two companies. Plus Nintendo has a huge user base that is growing fast.

But Elder Scrolls ported to PS5, I don't see that ever happening.

Ive literally been laughing at this all day. Before this acquisition, everyone was like, "exclusives are what sells consoles! What good is all that power if there are no games to play on it!"

That shit changed up real quick today. I even saw a poster say something to the tune of, "I hope Microsoft hasnt been listening to all this exclusive talk going on over the years! Would be a shame to lock out Sony gamers"..

Ive seen Jesus at least four times today, laughing so hard.
I have seen people from both camps spinning so much shit over the last few months, it's amazing.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Sooooooo I wouldn't be in a rush assuming that them spending 2.5 billion means you'll see future stuff in those IPs only appear on limited systems as that didn't happen with Minecraft.

Yet you think them spending 3x more means they'll want to make less money by having even less systems to sell to? huh? :messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Seriously did you really not know that they continued making new games on Playstation, Nintendo, apple, android etc?

You know your argument is fucked when you're comparing small budget Minecraft spin offs to games like TES and Fallout

So MS is using the IDDKFA cheat code to fight against SONY. Not bad, but the question is will they thrive under that centralised leadership? They could barely handle their "top" IP.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I expect, 50% of the titles made will be available on other consoles, and even less of those on day 1. I can see some timed exclusives less than a few months and I can see some full on exclusives. Just seeing a Microsoft logo and possibly xbox logo on ps5 games, is pretty good head space material to sway potential buyers.

chonga

Again taken out of context. In the original interview it’s directly in reference to getting their games on PC, phone and anywhere else that will allow thier services.

Perhaps look at the context instead of pulling just one small part of it.
You really are so short-sighted.

It isn't out of context and it is another Phil PR-bluster quote.

His quote is agnostic. You cannot say that you don't like the idea of forcing people to buy a certain system to play a game or that you think the idea of gaming is a shared, single, united community and experience and then go buy up a company and prevent those titles from being available on the biggest single ecosystem.

That is entirely contradictory of his vision and quote.

Of course he talks about opening up to PC and xCloud - those are his products. He wants to sell you them. He doesn't want to sell you a PlayStation.

Why people don't get this I will never understand.

chonga

Yes because it would make perfect sense for Microsoft to spend a load of money buying a gaming studio, then to keep releasing all that studio's games multi platform, yes sounds totally reasonable. ;)
Did you actually read what I said. Why are you talking about buying them not making sense when I specifically said "without acquiring them". Jesus fuck christ learn to read.

If Phil doesn't like the idea of segregating the community and forcing people to buy certain systems to play certain games then why is he buying up publishers and studios and making games exclusive and forcing you to buy into his supported systems?

Because Phil is a serial PR liar is the real answer. Not that anyone else is any better, but people seem to think he doesn't lie and is the Patron Saint of Gamers.

He could have gotten Bethesda et al on board Game Pass thus creating a great value proposition to consumers and maintaining his alleged vision and desire for a single, united gaming community all without actually buying them, much like with getting EA included in Game Pass.

not too mention, bethesda has been...bad lately with their first party titles.

Like I dont have faith elder scrolls and fallout will actually be....good. and this is coming from someone that loved oblivion and morrowind.

the only games that I know are promising are dishonored and Doom

EDMIX

No matter how many times you say but Minecraft, 2.5 BLLION DOLLARS, "it doesn't make sense" or 3x MORE it's not going to make it happen the way you want it to.

Doesn't mean it won't actually end up on many systems either, I'd argue the fact that the deal is even more expensive likely means you'll see them even likely to seek recouping it thru multiplatform.

You can't really keep ignoring that they literally did that with minecraft because it doesn't fit your narrative or something.

They bought minecraft and proceeded to put those games on platforms not owned by them.

I see nothing suggesting the same won't happen with this deal considering its even more expensive.

L lastmessiah They needed Apple, Nintendo, Google and Sony to sell Minecraft to and that was 2.5 billion they spent, but suddenly they won't need those same companies when they spend more?

Have fun with that logic I guess....

Last edited:
This times 10000000.

We've had to endure almost a decade of slander from Sony fans about Xbox not having any exclusives, and they absolutely raved when Sony made Spiderman exclusive to PS4. Now Microsoft goes ahead and makes tremendous moves to secure exclusives for Xbox and they cry about it? The hypocrisy there is absolutely insane. Either you're for exclusives or your not, but you can't have it both ways. Jesus.

Kudos to Microsoft for this incredible power play. This is exactly what Xbox needed right now going into next-gen. If they can also somehow acquire Rocksteady to make Gotham Knights an Xbox exclusive to rival Spiderman... we'll have ourselves a fight. Microsoft ain't playing around anymore.

I have a PC so this doesn't matter to me.

but...elder scrolls, and fallout havent been....good lately?

Last edited:

Flintty

I just realised that ms is probably on shopping spree at the moment, they made an Offer for wb games, they have express interest in TikTok, now they have acquired zenimax, it is clear that they want to invest, so question is, who is next? As I am sure they are not done yet.

I can still see them doing some kind of deal with Bungie. Maybe not a buyout but I think something is in the works.

There’s also a space in their portfolio for Firaxis or Paradox. Acquisition of either of these wouldn’t surprise me.

Redlight

(especially coming from a person that didn't even know the Minecraft IP was literally being put on Playstation, Nintendo's, Apple, Android etc)

So when you tell me stuff like "Minecraft was already on PS4" ....oh....sooooo you don't know that they've been putting that IP on every fucking platform imaginable to recoup those cost?

Then.

"Its Minecraft though, its played by like 90% kids" Well yes, its as if MS is putting the games on install bases that actually sell to the correct demographics and audiences to recoup the cost and make a return.

Yet....they won't magically do this with those Zenimax IP's? The very thing you were unaware that they already did with Minecraft? :pie_raybans:
Part of how they recoup the cost may be to simply increase market share in the console space.

People will buy Xbox consoles to play these games, they'll buy Gamepass for these games, they'll buy Xcloud for these games.

Every extra copy they sell to a new Xbox customer is worth many, many times what a copy sold to a Sony customer is worth.

If they keep these games exclusive it also completely changes the public perception of Xbox in a way they they couldn't do quickly otherwise, they would have to chip away with their existing studios for a half-a-decade or more for the 'they have no games' meme to die naturally.

This is instant and it's a gigantic shift in mindshare.

If MS gifts that new marketing clout to Sony for free then they nullify the advantage they just paid billions to get.

I know that suddenly losing access to a big group of quality third-party games is annoying but I suspect that it's exactly what we just witnessed. The games will be on PC and, quite possibly, Switch, so In terms of multi-platform appearances, they only really need to dump one platform in this scenario - and that's Playstation.

ZZZZ

I can still see them doing some kind of deal with Bungie. Maybe not a buyout but I think something is in the works.

There’s also a space in their portfolio for Firaxis or Paradox. Acquisition of either of these wouldn’t surprise me.
2K meaning Take-Two owns Firaxis, i don't see it happening.

Mmnow

If Phil doesn't like the idea of segregating the community and forcing people to buy certain systems to play certain games then why is he buying up publishers and studios and making games exclusive and forcing you to buy into his supported systems?

Because Phil is a serial PR liar is the real answer. Not that anyone else is any better, but people seem to think he doesn't lie and is the Patron Saint of Gamers.
You'll be able to play these games on PC if you don't have an Xbox. You'll be able to play it on your phone or tablet if you don't have a PC. Eventually you'll be able to stream directly from your TV.

Xbox are doing literally everything they can to get non Xbox gamers into their ecosystem, to the point where you don't actually have to buy games or even a device you don't already own. PlayStation only folks can continue to play Doom and Elder Scrolls without needing to buy a single new piece of equipment.

Where are the lies? Playstation only guys can get every single game they would have bought for $70 all for one or two payments of $15. And if you don't like that, buy an Xbox.

In an ideal world everything would be on everything. You can't have one manufacturer opt into that and the other not. People would just buy PlayStation. Xboxs approach is the next best thing.

Last edited:

Mozza

Chances of Sony responding with a Capcom acquisition seems much more likely now.

Hope Microsoft greenlits a TEW sequel for Xx/PC.

Sony do not have the resources to buy
Did you actually read what I said. Why are you talking about buying them not making sense when I specifically said "without acquiring them". Jesus fuck christ learn to read.

He could have gotten Bethesda et al on board Game Pass thus creating a great value proposition to consumers and maintaining his alleged vision and desire for a single, united gaming community all without actually buying them, much like with getting EA included in Game Pass.

Stop being so salty fella, if Sony had done this it would be the best thing in the world. ;)

Flintty

I just don't see anybody buying Take-Two.

It’s a compelling list of games. You have the sport in WWE and NBA. Bio shock and Borderlands for action/shooters. And then Civ for the strategy. I don’t think anyone would break the bank for them but for a decent price, maybe.

Warablo

I am sorry, but the only way these games are getting on other consoles is if they allow Game Pass service on their system; or one off games with Nintendo.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

It’s a compelling list of games. You have the sport in WWE and NBA. Bio shock and Borderlands for action/shooters. And then Civ for the strategy. I don’t think anyone would break the bank for them but for a decent price, maybe.
I know, but there's no decent price happening in this situation, if you want to buy Take-Two especially because of Rockstar you will have to pay extra premium, i just don't see that happening even for Microsoft.

Last edited:

Flintty

I know, but there's no decent price happening in this situation, if you want to buy Take-Two especially because of Rockstar you will have to pay extra premium, i just don't see that happening even for Microsoft.

Holy shit I completely forgot about Rockstar 😂 Yeah you’re probably right.

Starfield

not too mention, bethesda has been...bad lately with their first party titles.

Like I dont have faith elder scrolls and fallout will actually be....good. and this is coming from someone that loved oblivion and morrowind.

the only games that I know are promising are dishonored and Doom
So you're saying their output of games is bad because of one game?

OrionNebula

Bold move for MS. I like it. Impeccable timing, too 👍
If anything, a stiffer competition will ultimately benefit games in the end

Curious to hear more about this

Bodomism

Banned
The 8 Million number came from a Sony Investor Presentation.

The Presentation (page 55):

The numbers in the slide seem about right for other games, yet GT Sport is wildly inflated? And the GT Sport number isn't sourced from VGChartz (that's for the All Time Seller slide). VGChartz lists a different number for GTS.

Shuhei Yoshida also acknowledged the number.

If its bullshit its what Sony was pushing.

Are you blind? That was estimated numbers from third party sales analyst and not from Sony lmao.

Are you blind? That was estimated numbers from third party sales analyst and not from Sony lmao.

Yeah, estimates from a Presentation for Sony Investors. All the other estimates seem fine, yet GTS is wildly incorrect?

Why would the President of SIE Worldwide Studios (at the time) thank someone for quoting a wildly incorrect number for GTS? Is he blind as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom