• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Zenimax/Bethesda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brofist

I could see something like The Elder Scrolls possibly getting ported to Nintendo a few years after release on Xbox/PC they aren't really a direct competitor to Xbox and there seems to be a good relationship between the two companies. Plus Nintendo has a huge user base that is growing fast.

But Elder Scrolls ported to PS5, I don't see that ever happening.

I'm not so sure, some of MS past management has straight up been inept.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
It's a big publisher with a bunch of quality titles that will be great for Xbox and for Xbox owners.

It certainly isn't the end of Sony. They will survive and, likely thrive, just with much tougher competition, especially in the key US and UK markets.

I am enjoying every single letter of your uber-salty posts though. Keep 'em coming. :)
I'm not salty I'm just debating a guy who thinks that sony is blockbuster and thinks those is the end of Sony lol, he's clearly a moron

Skifi28

Doesn't matter, Bethesda hasn't made a decent game since Fallout 4 (2015)

I'd say Fallout 4 was okish.

I'm also surprised how much people suddenly care about Betheda. Doom eternal was good for sure, but anything else they've released lately has been lukewarm at best.

Last edited:

Thurible

Wait what? Does that mean bethesda ganes are no longer multiplatform? What about game series loke the elder scrolls, are they going to have to take out oblivion from steam?

Iced Arcade

Doesn't mean it won't actually end up on many systems either, I'd argue the fact that the deal is even more expensive likely means you'll see them even likely to seek recouping it thru multiplatform.

You can't really keep ignoring that they literally did that with minecraft because it doesn't fit your narrative or something.

They bought minecraft and proceeded to put those games on platforms not owned by them.

I see nothing suggesting the same won't happen with this deal considering its even more expensive.

L lastmessiah They needed Apple, Nintendo, Google and Sony to sell Minecraft to and that was 2.5 billion they spent, but suddenly they won't need those same companies when they spend more?

Have fun with that logic I guess....
you do realize after minecraft, MS bought a shit load of studios ALL of which are honoring games announced/deals in place but after that they are all xbox/pc exclusives.

I get it, exclusives suck when you own the opposite toy.

Well, as a PC main nothing changes for me with this acquisition, but it sure is fascinating how some people suddenly pull out titles that are basically just an announcement screen at the moment like Starfield or ES6 and act like this would suddenly change things. The whole console war thing seems to be toxic to common sense.....

Like seriously, what`s the earliest this could have any significant impact on the first party roster?
3 years? And even that is just a maybe with Bethesda`s hit&miss track record.

Last edited:
Like seriously, what`s the earliest this could have any significant impact on the first party roster?
3 years? And even that is just a maybe with Bethesda`s hit&miss track record.
It's not like these studios haven't been working on stuff before the acquisition. They aren't a start-up, so they likely have games that have been in development for a while.

EihJUIoXkAYI08c

Allandor

So, Microsoft, we need a new Commander Keen ... make it happen :)

you do realize after minecraft, MS bought a shit load of studios ALL of which are honoring games announced/deals in place but after that they are all xbox/pc exclusives.

I get it, exclusives suck when you own the opposite toy.
Well ... at least they release their games for PC and even Steam now and not years later.

Skifi28

as if you wouldnt be one of the first in line for ES6 or Fallout 5. the cope is strong ITT

Fallout 5 no, I have no trust in that. ES6 maybe, assuming it comes out at some point. I would appreciate it you don't involve me in your fanboy wars though, if they do come up with anything good I'll get it on PC.

FALCON_KICK

MS buying Bethesda is great news if it means Sony Playstation moves back their HQ back to Japan.

Now Exclusives matter again I suppose.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
8nRJlQn.png

6QmG45I.jpg

Really, though...I've seen people act exactly like this online so often: Happy and gloating when they have the exclusives, but furious and crying about how unfair it is when the shoe is on the other foot.

It reminds me of when someone obnoxiously teabags after a win over other players, but then ragequits when someone beats them. In effect, it's the emotional maturity of someone like DarkSydePhil. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:

K.N.W.

Warning: Speculation/Taleofmyassing

Sorry if somebody alredy posted about it, but I've still to make out this whole deal.
We know that MSFT bought Zenimax for 7.5 billion $, and that revenues where higher than 0.5 Billion $ per year ( I hope that someone with an account on some financial site can look up the exact amount for us), but let's suppose data are incorrect/outdated and it earns 1 billion $ per year, especially now that they have access to Microsoft's funds, development tools/infrastructures and marketing. It would then take approximatively 5+ years to grab back all of the initial investment, which should sound ok for such a big investment. Certainly not the best, minding the fact that I've purposely doubled revenues, but it could work. Unless.... Someone has the genius idea of platform exclusivity, at which point would cut down sales and, thus, earnings (it's hard to imagine them selling so many Xbox/GPs that PS ecosystem stops being a factor in sales, at least for some years).

So what is MSFT's plan to earn back those money???

1) Start selling games on all platforms like any third party publisher? (they already do with Minecraft)
2) This is a giant Troy Horse for gamepass, coming to PS next winter® ?
3) Sell exclusive games, at loss, until they obliterate rivals?

I'm starting to think even Microsoft doesn't know: as of right now, it's impossible to foresee how many next gen XBs and GPs are going to be in households in the next years. So they probably bought Bethesda firstly to generate buzz for XS's launch and GP, then, down the line, they will know if they'd rather sell those games as Xb exclusives, GamePass content or just like any other third party. But I don't see it fit to have all those games sold as exclusives, MSFT has still to grab those 7.5 billions back. Going third party is probably the way to go to earn as much money as possible, but also GamePass subscriptions would earn lots of money down the months. I suppose that an hybrid approach (some games sold regurarly, some launching on GP, some exclusives to XB) would be a way to find the balance for money/platform content. Again: It would be really great if someone with knowledge could clarify the situation on Zenimax's earnings.

For those who firmly believe in all Zenimax's games becoming exclusives: do the math, there are still many money bags missing!!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Acquiring studios helps fix M$’ exclusive problem and should provide help even if those Zenimax, Bethesda games are hit or miss.

Well 13 and 30 million is still bigger than some of these individual numbers

A ton of those PS4 software sales are bundles. Everything but GTSport was bundled like crazy and hell maybe GT Sport was in the UK, idk. It’s not as impressive as people make it out to be.

A ton of those PS4 software sales are bundles. Everything but GTSport was bundled like crazy and hell maybe GT Sport was in the UK, idk. It’s not as impressive as people make it out to be.

You are right but most here will never admit to it. And they will still try to uphold the farce that console units sold is the ultimate metric of a company's success.

Jme

They didn't make any of those games. Just published.
So, are you talking about BGS (the developer) or BSW (the publisher)?
Because this deal was to purchase ZeniMax Media, which includes both, plus all their studios (including Arkane, MachineGames, Tango, id, ZOS, and Alpha Dog)

tryDEATH

Wow, said like an absolute fanboy 😂
We’re talking about you saying Bethesda will have something new lined up for Xbox in 2021 or 2022 which we all know isn’t true, you have your moment don’t worry.

I can see by your other posts here you are literally MS PR right now, please continue.

I am excited for what has happened with this acquisition and give my opinion. You and your merry group of fanboys have been going around trying to spin multiple negative narratives from how horribly bad this is to how MS should or should not go about their newly acquired franchises with fanboy tinted glasses.

Sony fans obsession of turning anything positive about the Xbox into negative is like a gag reflex for you guys. Enjoy being in denial.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Fallout 4 was alright and Doom Eternal wasn't the revolution everyone was hoping for over Doom 2016. Hopefully MS will make all these studios like 343i, that would be great wouldn't it?

Why is this exciting again?

I think it's more the optics of it all, $7.5 billion, Doom, Fallout, less than a week after Sony"s show.

It's a power move for sure, but I didn't buy my PlayStation to play Bethesda games and I'm not planning on buying a PS5 to play Deathloop. This changes very little, for me. But props to Microsoft, anyway.

"Surprisingly low price": lawyers and analysts on the multibillion-dollar deal between Microsoft and Bethesda

I am excited for what has happened with this acquisition and give my opinion. You and your merry group of fanboys have been going around trying to spin multiple negative narratives from how horribly bad this is to how MS should or should not go about their newly acquired franchises with fanboy tinted glasses.

Sony fans obsession of turning anything positive about the Xbox into negative is like a gag reflex for you guys. Enjoy being in denial.

yeah it’s quite funny to see some of u get that excited that u lose common sense, we were talking about how you say sony can’t compete after 2021 going forward with some imaginary Bethesda games that are supposedly coming in 2021????

Not sure where you got me and others trying to spin this? You claim some games are coming from Bethesda and I asked you what these are, and u can’t even answer that.

Common sense really is a luxury these days.

If you want to play Starfield, Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc. we have a console for that; it's called Xbox.

I love the dreams of Sony fans that Xbox turns into a 3rd party publisher, just here to make games for Sony.

Of course that's why Xbox spent millions on the series S/X so they could make games for Sony. Sorry Sony moneyhatting every 3rd party in sight didn't work out for you in the end, go away with your port-begging.

MS is making a play for a larger market.

It's not just owners of Xbox consoles or PCs alone any more. They are selling gamepass.

The post you were responding to was partly right - as we're you imo.

The way to get these titles to as many people as possible is to remove the dependency of any hardware. The future of game consumption will be gamepass by Xbox. And that will be on whatever device you decide to use at a monthly fee.

We need to stop thinking console units. The game has changed.

tryDEATH

yeah it’s quite funny to see some of u get that excited that u lose common sense, we were talking about how you say sony can’t compete after 2021 going forward with some imaginary Bethesda games that are supposedly coming in 2021????

Not sure where you got me and others trying to spin this? You claim some games are coming from Bethesda and I asked you what these are, and u can’t even answer that.

Common sense really is a luxury these days.

You are the one that came out with a garbage statement like no Bethesda games for 3 to 4 years and you expect me to take you serious. A low effort post, get s low effort response. Kick on somewhere else with the fanboying.

TheContact

I'd say Fallout 4 was okish.

I'm also surprised how much people suddenly care about Betheda. Doom eternal was good for sure, but anything else they've released lately has been lukewarm at best.

regardless, TES6 and Starfield are going to sell like hotcakes. Fallout 4 sold 13.51 million units. (higher than any other fallout game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom