• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Zenimax/Bethesda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamezone

Gold Member
If you want to play the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls on console, you're going to need a Xbox Series X.

I play on PC, but I would be pretty frustrated if I was a Playstation owner. Fallout and Elder Scrolls are huge. Fortunately they revealed this before launching their new consoles, so people still have a choice.

Bogey

Banned
Wow, this came out of nowhere!

In general, I'd say Bethesta is in good & capable hands there. Admittedly, I don't know what that means for PS users though.
Part of me can't imagine next-gen elder scrolls won't be on PS5, it's just too much revenue to miss out on. My gut feeling would be: Timed exclusives.

Arkam

To be fair. Nothing a of value wouold be lost on me if these all went Xbox exclusive besides Elder Scrolls. Fallout has had two sub par entries in a row and Doom Eternal felt like a step down from Doom 2016.
Good move by MS as Bethesda games and Xbox fans have a lot of overlap.

DeaDPo0L84

I just woke up and this is absolutely not what I expected to read, holy fucking shit. Bethesda used to be the western RPG king, they have for sure fallen down a few steps in recent years. But they have some of my favorite properties that I hope with new funding and partnership goals they can revive to their original glory. DOOM 2016 & DOOM Eternal was really great though (DOOM 2016 more so).

Edit: I admittedly have not dug into the details but I assume all Bethesda games on gamepass would be day and date Xbox/PC?

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Guess I will restart that Gamepass subscription soon.
This is big!!! No next Elder Scrolls, Fallout or Doom on PS systems? Holy shit! This almost rivals the PS studios in one hit.

thief183

Holy shit! .... I mean holy sht! .... Do you think they are gonna lock all the bethesda games on Microsfot platform? Or maybe they will pull a "minecraft"?

Salty PS adopters didn't want these games anyway.
-Playstation gamer

Half true. I always tried enjoying their TES and Fallout games but all I did was collecting shittons of loot and wasting time. Storys were absolutly meh. ( IMO )
I like the Wolfenstein games. Heard Dishonored is good but didn't have time to play them yet.
Not much into pure shooters lately therefore i haven't played Doom/Prey.
Haven't played the evil within yet but always wanted to dig into that.

Curious how this will affect the console wars.

PS: I can play all of those on my Pc anyways. Trololol

Laptop1991

I hope this means a return to Elder Scrolls and Fallout singleplayer games, and not more mmo's with stores built in, time will tell, and not waiting 10 years or so between them.

Bkdk

Banned
That's kind of the dream deal for me, what microsoft really needs is to focus on the PC while porting games to consoles. Hopefully they will continue to support the modding community with their releases, the one final acquisition I really want is the GSC stalker 2 studio. There is no point of directly competiting with Sony with their games, first I'm not interested much on Sony's first party game development style anymore, also no point to create similar games, hopefully MS will really brings PC into another golden age, super exciting times for a PC gamer, now that so many new games will be on the gamepass for 120 dollars a year, by far the best deal ever.

Rob_27

One part of me feels they should keep them as exclusives. But the other says they will want to take a piece of the pie from what ever platforms they are released on.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
FUCK
FUCK
FUUUUUUUUCK
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oh. My. Fucking. God.

I'm shitting here.

Don't know if is good (like the Minecraft thing, which they just wins the money), or will be a exclusive thing

Garani

BTW, I think this is GOOD news. It means that Sony will need to get their butt out of the chair and get the ball rolling. Which means more for me as a consumer.

I still expect to see Gamepass on Playstation by the middle of next generation, and this is just strong arm tactics to make it happen sooner.

I think so too. Then again I think we are going to see a LOT of PS Now being pushed in the future.

"Xbox has no games" - oops

As long as they are multiplat, yeah it doesn't have any decent "exclusive" game.

Well, I have no interest in PC gaming, so these games are still exclusives to me.

Good for you, then.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
People on Twitter are in total denial. They think Elder Scrolls and Fallout will still go to PS5.

if it’s anything like their other deals what’s already in development will still be in development. Ether way amazing move from Microsoft! Debating cancelling my ps5 pre order because this is the first move from Microsoft that looks to actually benefit consumer’s in a minute but let’s hope this isn’t game pass fodder

Birdo

Banned
kGM3I5A.jpg

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I don't care for Zenimax/Bethesda AAA games (or most AAA games in general), are there any indie studios with ties to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom