• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Scott

if some of you are already grieving, i cannot wait for when the final decision is made.
What exactly is the final decision?
Was it the CMA blocking the deal?
Will it be when the judge grant or deny the PI?
Will it be CAT decision?

Decide Which One GIF by Houndstooth Media Group
Offer Decide GIF by ABC Network
decisions-oberyn-martell.gif

Vognerful

The subject of COD going exclusive or not has been ongoing for months and there isn't just one side to that argument. You asked "till when" and I told you what Phil Spencer said. Plenty of folks here don't believe him and they have evidence to back up their position, but that doesn't mean they are automatically correct. It is up to Microsoft to honor the commitments they have made.
I agree with you on that. I however had received different reactions from people here when discussing this matter that ranged between being called a shill, delusional or a troll.

The thing is the position of CoD going exclusive is treated as "more logical" conclusion while the other being more deluded. Just see DeepEnigma DeepEnigma response to my comment.

And if some says "what do you care what others say?" Well half this thread keep talking about how Xbox bots/shills will react and say while other complain about what resetera is doing. Don't take issue with what I am saying while you have no problem with others.

Topher

Gold Member
I agree with you on that. I however had received different reactions from people here when discussing this matter that ranged between being called a shill, delusional or a troll.

The thing is the position of CoD going exclusive is treated as "more logical" conclusion while the other being more deluded. Just see DeepEnigma DeepEnigma response to my comment.

And if some says "what do you care what others say?" Well half this thread keep talking about how Xbox bots/shills will react and say while other complain about what resetera is doing. Don't take issue with what I am saying while you have no problem with others.

I don't share your outlook of this thread at all, but it isn't worth getting into. I'd say you need to chill a bit though.

I don't understand why it is so farfetched to say that Xbox completes with Switch. Every single generation since the PS2, if somebody wanted to buy a game console they will go to the store and choose between Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox. Why are so many people now pretending that they're not all competing in the console space together? This is like saying the Wii did not compete with the 360 because of motion controls. You can poke holes in a lot of arguments here but regardless of graphical fidelity or form factor or whatever arbitrary distinctions people are drawing here, you have three choices if you want a console gaming experience and it's been that way for many years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Nubulax

I agree... but there are gamers a lot of them that play only COD... imagine a new gen XBOX with one year of gamepass and a exclusive COD at launch ... if you think this dosent have the power to sway millions of COD players... well... I do
Has MS actually came out and said new COD games will be DAY 1 on gamepass, I honestly dont know

Nubulax

No.

and based on what we saw from the negotiation terms with Sony, I don't think they will do it.
I just keep seeing people everywhere on the more xbox side just assuming COD is going to get jammed day 1 in there but ill believe it when I actually see it.

Corndog

Banned
Well the 7th is passed. It’s one week since the end of the FTC PI hearing and, as predicted by quite a few, no judgement has been released…

9kaOWfJ.gif

Document submissions to the FTC should have been completed today.

There’s nothing new on the court document list. I assume the docs have been submitted but some are potentially under seal and need to be redacted before going up on the website. We may see those over the weekend if the court minions are working.

Just to point out that a few people here thought we’d get a judgement this week - over at Ree it was basically accepted there’d be a judgement this week.

Those “experts” were <trump_wrong.gif>

I just point that out to show that this case isn’t special - it will be handled like the myriad other cases the court has before it. We’re interested in this one, but the court and FTC are progressing many other cases with limited resources.

EDIT
So onwards to Monday which is NOT the last day a judgement could be received and MS could close the acquisition in the US before 18 July. In fact it us Tuesday 11th.

Monday is the first plausible day to get a decision because all normal submission deadlines have past - the Judge is finally in possession of all the evidence the parties have submitted together with their arguments from law supporting their positions.

Recent history suggests these judgements take more like a month following the end of the hearing. So we could be looking at more like 3 weeks of waiting and watching.

To put it another way, if we get a judgement Monday or even any time next week, the Judge will have come in well under the normal timescales for such hearings.

It’s also still eerily quiet on MS-ATVI announcing they’ve extended the acquisition agreement to allow for these decisions. I wonder what the hold up is? 🤔🤔🤔
It’s a holiday week. Who expected a judgement already?

Iced Arcade

I don't think they would make COD exclusive.... putting it on gamepass day 1 and not on the competitions sub service would be pretty hurtful and sly.

That's probably the angle MS is trying to hook.

Vognerful

Microsoft and Sony never agreed to any terms.
I didn't say they agreed. I said based on the negotiations terms that we saw....

One of them was jim Ryan asking to have fill parity when it comes to subscribtion service for CoD and other titles.

Vognerful

I just keep seeing people everywhere on the more xbox side just assuming COD is going to get jammed day 1 in there but ill believe it when I actually see it.
I am not denying that there is more people assuming or hoping for that.

I am just giving my opinion on the subject.

A post of pictures means all these people expected a decision? Wow, that’s some solid evidence.
it is

Edit: Not only that. I can testify before a judge that at least one of these dudes is wet-dreaming that Phil, Aaron, Lulu or Nadella himself is going to call them after the acquisition is approved and say:

"We did it!!"

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I didn't say they agreed. I said based on the negotiations terms that we saw....

One of them was jim Ryan asking to have fill parity when it comes to subscribtion service for CoD and other titles.

"and based on what we saw from the negotiation terms with Sony, I don't think they will do it."

Why would you think Microsoft would not put COD on Game Pass based on negotiations that never went anywhere?

Vognerful

"and based on what we saw from the negotiation terms with Sony, I don't think they will do it."

Why would you think Microsoft would not put COD on Game Pass based on negotiations that never went anywhere?
1) I think that in any negotiations Sony will not go of that requirement and 2) Microsoft would lose a lot of money in putting CoD on playstation plus, if they acquire them.

I maintain that Xbox is looking at ABK as a way to subsidize a lot of their expenses and one of them is making Zenimax games exclusive.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
1) I think that in any negotiations Sony will not go of that requirement and 2) Microsoft would lose a lot of money in putting CoD on playstation plus, if they acquire them.

I maintain that Xbox is looking at ABK as a way to subsidize a lot of their expenses and one of them is making Zenimax games exclusive.
Why would Sony have any leverage over what happens to CoD?

FrankWza

wait why does everyone care about what this heisenberg person says, do they work for Microsoft or something in that circle?
That heisenberg got some info. But another heisenberg is talking the Christopher Nolan about a movie

robert oppenheimer death GIF

Last edited:
That heisenberg got some info. But another heisenberg is talking the Christopher Nolan about a movie

robert oppenheimer death GIF
100% this line is not going to be in the movie for normal people to understand. you probably will need to see the movie backwards at certain speed with a dolby atmos system and only in the especial edition 4K Bluray disc.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Why would Sony have any leverage over what happens to CoD?
I can't remember exactly what was in the email exchange between Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer but I was blow away at how much of a Muppet Jim Ryan is.

It basically read like "Hi Phil, I hear you are thinking of buying ActiBliz. We are not happy about this unless you can make sure that 80 billion (Actvi + Bethesda) y'all are spending is used in a way so that Playstation has the most advantage from it and our dominant position in the market is not threatened.

Wtf kinda leverage did Jim Ryan think he had here....

I don't know if the acquisition will go through but it just highlights how ridiculous the execs are in the games industry.

ToadMan

It’s a holiday week. Who expected a judgement already?

You’re going to have to keep up with the thread for yourself sorry.

My point was to say that this process doesn’t follow the assumed timescales we here (or on Ree) might have - it follows the normal legal timescales.

And that principle extends to the other aspects of the case - the Judge isn’t tearing up the normal playbook for this.

In fact for a high profile case, she is probably giving it more scrutiny to get to the correct decision.

I can't remember exactly what was in the email exchange between Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer but I was blow away at how much of a Muppet Jim Ryan is.

It basically read like "Hi Phil, I hear you are thinking of buying ActiBliz. We are not happy about this unless you can make sure that 80 billion (Actvi + Bethesda) y'all are spending is used in a way so that Playstation has the most advantage from it and our dominant position in the market is not threatened.

Wtf kinda leverage did Jim Ryan think he had here....

I don't know if the acquisition will go through but it just highlights how ridiculous the execs are in the games industry.
you better find that source because i believe there could be one of two things you are missing.

Sanepar

I don't know what to bet anymore. But era is 100% of decision coming Monday dening PI and that MS will close the deal before July 18th and ignore CMA.

One fact if they didn't think to close the deal before July 18th they would not push so hard to end FTC trial so fast.

So if the decision come out Monday or any day this week I think they will close the deal.

It will be super hard for CMA to sustain the decison with the deal closed.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know what to bet anymore. But era is 100% of decision coming Monday dening PI and that MS will close the deal before July 18th and ignore CMA.

One fact if they didn't think to close the deal before July 18th they would not push so hard to end FTC trial so fast.

So if the decision come out Monday or any day this week I think they will close the deal.

It will be super hard for CMA to sustain the decison with the deal closed.

If I had to bet......bet on those with money. They always win. ABK acquisition will happen.

And.....life goes on....

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom