• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik

Even with the 10 year deal wouldn't ms still have an advantage? For example they can offer it on there sub service for free.
Depends on the contracts, Sony could demand that the games can’t appear on any competing subscription service, essentially leaving MS with money as the advantage.

I guess they decided to fast track the deal - it remains to be seen if EU is ok with 10 year COD deal, but I think they will be ok. And it changes nothing for Microsoft anyway, but if it accelerates the closure of the deal - so be it.

Depends on the contracts, Sony could demand that the games can’t appear on any competing subscription service, essentially leaving MS with money as the advantage.
Sony cannot demand anything. Regulators decide themselves what they consider ok or not.

Last edited:

reksveks

Who knows what concessions regulators would accept and MS would offer?

Does anyone know what % of cod on ps is full game sales vs dlc?

Fredrik

Lmao 🤣 you’re delusional if you think this.
Have you seen Sony’s marketing deal contracts in the past? They’re brutal.

Of course MS could be scummy and pull some Demon’s Souls - Dark Souls move if they really want to turn things ugly. It’s impossible to predict what could happen.

feynoob

Banned
My uncle works at sony and he followed Jimbo to the bathroom and eavesdropped on a conversation:

"We are going to make hell for these disrespectful clowns at MS. And once the acquisition is done, we are going to execute directive "Violent Sony".
Your uncle sounds badass.

The crazy thing about this rumour...

ATVI stock is up $1.38
MSFT Stock is down $5.45

The market thinks it's a great deal for ATVI and a bad deal for MSFT?
ATVI will now have their biggest platform, PlayStation, getting Call of Duty for at least 10 more years if the rumor is right. Why wouldn't they be up?

MSFT is a lot more than just consoles and videogames so who knows why it's down really. Xbox isn't even their main thing.

feynoob

Banned
Except this is pretty weak and most likely not going to be accepted.
It's seems more and more clear that this deal will fall through...
Good.
It will be accepted. COD isn't eternity.
It has a limit to how much success it can have, before going down.
10 years is alot.
Also, total year of the contract would be 12 years.

reksveks

MSFT is a lot more than just consoles and videogames so who knows why it's down really. Xbox isn't even their main thing.
Yeah, you kinda need to put Microsoft in wider context.

ZbR73RO.jpg

Have you seen Sony’s marketing deal contracts in the past? They’re brutal.

Of course MS could be scummy and pull some Demon’s Souls - Dark Souls move if they really want to turn things ugly. It’s impossible to predict what could happen.
There’s going to be no more marketing deals for them going forward once this one ends in 2024 after that all cod marketing will be Xbox. They’ll get the game with content parity but no exclusive content or skins or none of that. And Microsoft is not spending 70 billion and after agreeing to put the game on PlayStation for ten years still not be able to put the game on gamepass lmao 🤣 yeah I think anyone that thinks this thinks Sony has any control in this deal cause they don’t. They ask for their suggestions any deal is between the FTC cma and eu not Sony. Their concessions will be the same nothing to do with Sony just want the regulators are willing to accept as well as Microsoft. Besides ten years of cod on PlayStation gives them time to recoup some of their money anyways and I think it’s a a smart play cause I don’t think they had any issues leaving call of duty on PlayStation to begin with.

feynoob

Banned
If this (or something similar) doesn't get accepted then the only way forward would be a divestment of COD and related assets, giving Microsoft exactly what they are claiming the acquisition is primarily for - mobile and a bunch of dormant IP.

Interesting times ahead.
Then MS would cancel the purchase.
King is worthless with COD mobile.

Fredrik

There’s going to be no more marketing deals for them going forward once this one ends in 2024 after that all cod marketing will be Xbox. They’ll get the game with content parity but no exclusive content or skins or none of that. And Microsoft is not spending 70 billion and after agreeing to put the game on PlayStation for ten years still not be able to put the game on gamepass lmao 🤣 yeah I think anyone that thinks this thinks Sony has any control in this deal cause they don’t. They ask for their suggestions any deal is between the FTC cma and eu not Sony. Their concessions will be the same nothing to do with Sony just want the regulators are willing to accept as well as Microsoft. Besides ten years of cod on PlayStation gives them time to recoup some of their money anyways and I think it’s a a smart play cause I don’t think they had any issues leaving call of duty on PlayStation to begin with.
Sony could demand it indirectly by sending these papers to the regulators and getting them to alter the details of the concessions. But like I said it’s impossible to predict what will happen, MS has lots of options if they would manage to buy them, might start a whole new FPS IP, but the stock owners probably won’t like that. I don’t think the acquisition will go through anyway.

Pelta88

ATVI will now have their biggest platform, PlayStation, getting Call of Duty for at least 10 more years if the rumor is right. Why wouldn't they be up?

Yeah, you kinda need to put Microsoft in wider context.

Nope. MSFT was trading higher until the news broke. Hourly chart to showcase the market response.

lEHQNuU.png

jm89

The concessions that EU and CMA are looking is Cloud gaming and Gamepass.
10 year deal only benefits Sony here.
I haven't been following it that closely I know CMA where, but also EC?

If that 10 year deal is just to put cod on playstation, then surely this offer is not gonna fly with the EC?

Sony could demand it indirectly by sending these papers to the regulators and getting them to alter the details of the concessions. But like I said it’s impossible to predict what will happen, MS has lots of options if they would manage to buy them, might start a whole new FPS IP, but the stock owners probably won’t like that. I don’t think the acquisition will go through anyway.
You’re overstating how much power Sony has here. There are a million other video game companies who aren’t objecting to include Nintendo. In fact some the biggest publishers have spoken in favor of Microsoft and this deal. Idk why you think the regulators are all siting around taking marching orders or are in the business of deciding how and what Sony wants to apply it here. No they want to make sure Microsoft doesn’t dominate the space not so that Microsoft doesn’t have a competitive advantage over its competitors.

Elios83

If it's just COD for 10 years just to Sony it's too little too late.
There are many other possible competitors and what they need to address is how they plan to not use the deal to cut any possible competition to Gamepass in the long term.
At least now that they're understanding the deal is at risk we'll see something concrete and not tweets and interviews with "journalists" ala Tom Warren and Jez Corden.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I would never touch any non-Android TV. My 2016 Sony X70D is still getting updates until now, my other LG is bugged as fuck and only had 1-2 years of updates then nothing. Also if I would ever buy something none Sony it would be Panasonic as they have camera knowledge so I can trust their color accuracy as well but we don't get them here as well.
Who the hell buys a smart tv for smart functionality 😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

If it's just COD for 10 years just to Sony it's too little too late.
There are many other possible competitors and what they need to address is how they plan to not use the deal to cut any possible competition to Gamepass in the long term.
At least now that they're understanding the deal is at risk we'll see something concrete and not tweets and interviews with "journalists" ala Tom Warren and Jez Corden.
Lol you guys are hilarious from not caring about Microsoft 1 dollar service to now Sony can’t compete with it because call of duty? How about Sony starts doing day and date on ps plus. Take a revenue loss like Microsoft did to build up game pass and compete.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Who the hell buys a smart tv for smart functionality 😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

So you buy it and use it for satellite channels? Why 4K then? You have a lot of 4K HDR content on Netflix and a lot of 4K and some HDR on youtube. Using native apps as way superior than my PC through HDMI 2.0 to TV (Radeon VII).

Also if you have kids they spend it watching Netflix for kids and youtube on the native apps as well. Those should be obvious and important uses unless you use yours as a skateboard after watching CNN News.

GHG

Lol you guys are hilarious from not caring about Microsoft 1 dollar service to now Sony can’t compete with it because call of duty? How about Sony starts doing day and date on ps plus. Take a revenue loss like Microsoft did to build up game pass and compete.

Yes, why doesn't the rest of the industry follow the platform holder who is in last place down a path that would ultimately put them in a financially compromising position without the backing of a 2 trillion dollar business.

You’re overstating how much power Sony has here. There are a million other video game companies who aren’t objecting to include Nintendo. In fact some the biggest publishers have spoken in favor of Microsoft and this deal. Idk why you think the regulators are all siting around taking marching orders or are in the business of deciding how and what Sony wants to apply it here. No they want to make sure Microsoft doesn’t dominate the space not so that Microsoft doesn’t have a competitive advantage over its competitors.

Sony aren't the only industry participant who have voiced their concerns about this deal and/or made complaints about Microsoft's handlings of properties from their other recent acquisitions.

Regulators don't want Microsoft to dominate any space because as a business they have a history when it comes to monopolistic practices that have been proven to harm industries and consumer choice. They have a rap sheet.

There is a simple way around this, but it would involve earning a position of dominance via merit, not just by throwing daddy's cash about. If they were to build a position similar to the way that Apple did with their smartphone (and related) business for example then the regulators would be powerless to stop them whilst they embark on that journey. You cannot argue with building a business that provides the majority of consumers with what they want. However if you want to buy that position through cannibalising the largest and most important third party companies in the industry then you've got to be able to handle the regulatory scrutiny that will inevitably come your way.

The more you speak the more you reinforce exactly why the big regulators are taking the stance that they currently are with this deal. Learn to cope, there's still a long road ahead.

Last edited:

Elios83

That's not even remotely the point.
Microsoft is executing on a long term plan to buy a dominant position in gaming subscriptions using the financial strength coming from other dominant positions.
This is what regulators want to address.

Offering just to Sony and not other possible competitors a deal to be able the sell the 70$ version of COD while they can have the game exclusively on Gamepass is not a solution to the concerns AT ALL.
And the idea you suggest of conducting a money losing business for years to try to get marketshare is precisely one of the other monopolistic tactics that you can you use when you've got your back covered by other divisions who are making the big money for you.
You let the other competitors who can't afford it to try to bleed the money and get out in the process when they obviously fail or carve their niche and get out as a direct competitor.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So you buy it and use it for satellite channels? Why 4K then? You have a lot of 4K HDR content on Netflix and a lot of 4K and some HDR on youtube. Using native apps as way superior than my PC through HDMI 2.0 to TV (Radeon VII).

Also if you have kids they spend it watching Netflix for kids and youtube on the native apps as well. Those should be obvious and important uses unless you use yours as a skateboard after watching CNN News.
Use apple tv.
Chromecast 4k
Mac mini
Intel NUC

• Strength
Reactions: GHG
They won't be fine with that. MS will still retain control of major IPs and the largest third party publisher. It's not going to work.
We clearly saw from the regulators that they care about COD and COD alone. Even that EU commissioner talked about COD only (and then removed his tweet). Sony was also crying about COD only (the only party who had issues with the deal). So it will boil down to COD only. 10 year deal was also about COD.

Last edited:

GHG

Apple TV 4k (or similar) my man. The image and audio quality is far superior to any of the native android apps on the TV.

GHG

Sooo… is this 10 years on top of the existing marketing agreement?

That's what it's looking like but the finer details are not yet known.

We clearly saw from the regulators that they care about COD and COD alone. Even that EU commissioner talked about COD only (and then removed his tweet). Sony was also crying about COD only (the only party who had issues with the deal). So it will boil down to COD only. 10 year deal was also about COD.

The person you're referencing has no involvement in the regulatory process.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Apple TV 4k (or similar) my man. The image and audio quality is far superior to any of the native android apps on the TV.

Sounds like you need apple devices for that, and I use none. Also I'm not into the hassle for a pretty minor advantage, if any. Most of Apple users tend to have some imaginary advantage of anything Apple or non-Android. Praising LG while it and Samsung have limited support just to avoid Android.😤

GHG

Sounds like you need apple devices for that, and I use none. Also I'm not into the hassle for a pretty minor advantage, if any. Most of Apple users tend to have some imaginary advantage of anything Apple or non-Android. Praising LG while it and Samsung have limited support just to avoid Android.😤

The bitrate is higher on most apps via the Apple TV vs anything inbuilt to your TV. You will also find similar benefits with a firestick, chromecast, etc.

Other than an ancient useless ipad the apple TV is the only apple product I own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom